Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AuguriesofInnocence

Theory On Genetic Backround And Food Allergies

I realized the other day that i am allergic to avocados. They are supposed to be 'healthy" but if I eat them, I get a headache and feel itchy and get red rashlike bumps on my chest . Not "severe" but nonetheless, they are not healthy for everyone.

There are a lot of doctors pushing the benefits of "superfruits" mangos, goji berries, coconut oil, etc. My little theory is, what is good for you personally has a lot to do with your genetic backround and ethnicity. For example, Mexicans probably process corn and agave and avocados simply because its been in their diet for thousands of years. Something like wheat is newer to their culture so maybe they have a lot of trouble with it?

People who come from Northern European countires probably cant handle exotic fruits and maybe tomatos and corn for the same reason. Scandinavians were eating largely fish and berries and things like cabbage, so if they adapt a big meat and pasta diet, it could have bad results.

People like Hawaiians have trouble with a lot of Western food because living on an island, they wre used to just fruits, nuts, fish poi etc. So eating Mc Donalds is twice as bad for them as for anybody (whihc is pretty bad anyway). It is documented that Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders ahve a huge number of food-related problems such as diabetes and obesity, only beginning in the second half of the 20 century. This may be why modern people have so many food allergies and intolerences, so many of our grandparents moved from thie roriginal country and adopted new cuisine. And the ethnicities are largely mixed, so exactly who can eat exactly what and get good results. (If youre half Asian and half Irish, do you eat potatos or rice noodles? This is oversimplifying but you get the idea)

It reminds me of a friend who tried to feed her dog a 'vegetarian' diet...tryig to make a carnivorous animal a bunny after millions of years isnt a good idea. The dog isnt doing well, lets just say. In fact I swear every time it looks at the wonder its thinking "I am going to eat you!" saywhat.gif

Any thoughts on this, you think I am reaching or it makes sense?

I am of German French and Polish backround. How about you all?

I'd never given it any thought before and I looked at things in the most simple terms. I basically stuck with what I was told or taught in school about food: whatever I eat should be balanced and that things should be in moderation. Can't say I really knew what "balanced" meant at the time, but I was of the understanding that I would be okay to eat something deemed unhealthy if it was a one-off and in moderation. I still go by that approach and see it as a bit of a treat I suppose.

Because of what I was taught, I never believed that acne could be caused by my diet. Again, that was probably influenced by what I was told and all the myths surrounding it. Even when the pattern between what I was eating and how my skin was behaving should have been really obvious, I couldn't see it because my diet wasn't obviously bad. It could have been "healthier", no doubt, but because I was getting my five-a-day and eating things in moderation, I didn't see a need to alter anything else.

I used to eat plenty of carrots and it turns out that I'm intolerant of them. So something that is theoretically good for us could actually have been causing. The funny thing is that I'm also deficient in Carotene so I've decided that my body just likes to mock and confuse me... :D I guess my point there is that it's not always black and white in the sense that the things we are told are "good" for us might not automatically be appreciated by our system. I'm also intolerant of pear and banana; two more foods I could have been forgiven for thinking would have been perfectly innocent.

Personally, I can't really make any connections between my diet, how my body responds to things and my background. I don't really know much about where we're from, although I'm aware that my great, great Grandmother on my Dad's side was French and I think my great, great Grandfather was Irish. I can't really see how those two facts would carry any weight because it seems like my immediate family can stomach anything and nobody's ever had any problems or struggled with things such as acne; even my sister has had great skin all the way through her teens, to the point where people have assumed I was younger than her because of my skin, even though I'm four years older. :rolleyes:

The only person who has an issue is my Dad. He has a full-on allergy to alcohol. All kinds of alcohol in any form are a massive problem for him and even the smallest drop could send him into shock which could be fatal. He used to be able to drink anyone under the table but he once suddenly went into shock. He was tested and the hospital told him not to consume alcohol from then on. I've noticed in recent months that I do seem to be reacting to it and my skin will soon start to itch. I'm not much of a drinker anyway so don't mind, but it strikes that perhaps it's possible to pass these things on in genes and that they remain silent for however long until it start being an issue.

In terms of why so many people seem to be intolerant of one thing or another, perhaps it's down to the processes foods go through these days because it seems to becoming more and more common.

I'd never given it any thought before and I looked at things in the most simple terms. I basically stuck with what I was told or taught in school about food: whatever I eat should be balanced and that things should be in moderation. Can't say I really knew what "balanced" meant at the time, but I was of the understanding that I would be okay to eat something deemed unhealthy if it was a one-off and in moderation. I still go by that approach and see it as a bit of a treat I suppose.

Because of what I was taught, I never believed that acne could be caused by my diet. Again, that was probably influenced by what I was told and all the myths surrounding it. Even when the pattern between what I was eating and how my skin was behaving should have been really obvious, I couldn't see it because my diet wasn't obviously bad. It could have been "healthier", no doubt, but because I was getting my five-a-day and eating things in moderation, I didn't see a need to alter anything else.

I used to eat plenty of carrots and it turns out that I'm intolerant of them. So something that is theoretically good for us could actually have been causing. The funny thing is that I'm also deficient in Carotene so I've decided that my body just likes to mock and confuse me... biggrin.png I guess my point there is that it's not always black and white in the sense that the things we are told are "good" for us might not automatically be appreciated by our system. I'm also intolerant of pear and banana; two more foods I could have been forgiven for thinking would have been perfectly innocent.

Personally, I can't really make any connections between my diet, how my body responds to things and my background. I don't really know much about where we're from, although I'm aware that my great, great Grandmother on my Dad's side was French and I think my great, great Grandfather was Irish. I can't really see how those two facts would carry any weight because it seems like my immediate family can stomach anything and nobody's ever had any problems or struggled with things such as acne; even my sister has had great skin all the way through her teens, to the point where people have assumed I was younger than her because of my skin, even though I'm four years older. rolleyes.gif

The only person who has an issue is my Dad. He has a full-on allergy to alcohol. All kinds of alcohol in any form are a massive problem for him and even the smallest drop could send him into shock which could be fatal. He used to be able to drink anyone under the table but he once suddenly went into shock. He was tested and the hospital told him not to consume alcohol from then on. I've noticed in recent months that I do seem to be reacting to it and my skin will soon start to itch. I'm not much of a drinker anyway so don't mind, but it strikes that perhaps it's possible to pass these things on in genes and that they remain silent for however long until it start being an issue.

In terms of why so many people seem to be intolerant of one thing or another, perhaps it's down to the processes foods go through these days because it seems to becoming more and more common.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think youve hit the button--'the way food is being processed" in modern society, so bad for us!

Paul I read an article that said there is a connection to banana, carrot avocado and latex among other things like chestnuts and mango. Are you sensitive to latex, that you know of?You might want to watch out.

I have heard of becoming allergic to alcohol...but them most alcohol is made of either fruit or grain, in a concentrated form. .

Edited by AuguriesofInnocence

Well, yes, obviously certain people are more adapted to certain foods, especially problem things like gluten and lactose. That would be why most Asians are lactose intolerant while most Europeans are not.

And it's not just Pacific Islanders that are prone to diabetes and obesity. About half the people around the world from areas that had less agriculture of grains and less specialized labor (meaning most people were active with few sedentary roles) or harsher climates where periods of drought and famine are/were more common. They are adapted to survive famine. And that is actually a epigenetic phenotype. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/297768-epigenetics/

It actually isn't good for any of us to have plenty to eat all the time. You should go hungry once in awhile to promote the recycling of old tissues.

Edited by alternativista

Are you sensitive to latex, that you know of?You might want to watch out.

Yes I am; it showed up on my test results. :)

Yeah I don't know about this. I'm almost all irish but if all I eat are potatoes and meat I feel like shit lol. And whats this about hawaii?? The majority of those people are all vegans they dont believe in eating meat, fish, or eggs. They are extremely healthy people, there are differences like everywhere else but from all the people I met they ate extremely healthy. It's actually immoral to them to eat meat, fish and eggs for several reasons, they believe it taints the soul and mind, makes you aggressive and irritable, restless, some other things it was all very interesting to learn.

Yeah I don't know about this. I'm almost all irish but if all I eat are potatoes and meat I feel like shit lol. And whats this about hawaii?? The majority of those people are all vegans they dont believe in eating meat, fish, or eggs. They are extremely healthy people, there are differences like everywhere else but from all the people I met they ate extremely healthy. It's actually immoral to them to eat meat, fish and eggs for several reasons, they believe it taints the soul and mind, makes you aggressive and irritable, restless, some other things it was all very interesting to learn.

You are thinking of someplace else. The Hawaiians are not vegans. And are famous for loving Spam.

Allergies is just one symptom among other things that are going bad in your body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU93wdgzlI&feature=BFa&list=UU5IuDMmKWSsBFB0iKky6aEQ

Gluten and Lactose.. .both don't seem to affect me.

I am not lactose intolerant, and I am asian. My whole family does drink milk. I've tried quiting dairy for 3 months, infact it did seem to make it worse.

Same with gluten, asians do eat lots of noodles.Just cutting down gluten really didn't do much.

But it was just sugar. Yep just sugar. Maybe because milk has lots of lactose (sugar) and wheat has lots of gluten, people thought it was causing acne. Who knows it could just be the sugar they were consuming. I am eating lots of Probiotic rich food (Kefir, Kombucha, Yogurt), along with all the nutrients I need but without sugar. Not a single new breakout. Until my gut heals with the good bacterias dominating the bad ones, I won't be eating sugar. Then perhaps if I remain completely clear for an entire month. I'll bring in real sugar.

Edited by DaftFrost

I am not lactose intolerant, and I am asian. My whole family does drink milk. I've tried quiting dairy for 3 months, infact it did seem to make it worse.

Same with gluten, asians do eat lots of noodles.Just cutting down gluten really didn't do much.

But it was just sugar. Yep just sugar. Maybe because milk has lots of lactose (sugar) and wheat has lots of gluten, people thought it was causing acne. Who knows it could just be the sugar they were consuming. I am eating lots of Probiotic rich food (Kefir, Kombucha, Yogurt), along with all the nutrients I need but without sugar. Not a single new breakout. Until my gut heals with the good bacterias dominating the bad ones, I won't be eating sugar. Then perhaps if I remain completely clear for an entire month. I'll bring in real sugar.

last time i checked rice doesnt have gluten in it, and arent asian noodle rice noodles? Dairy doesn't have an effect on my skin, however, it is still unhealthy and should be avoided. Gluten sensitivity affects 1/3 of the US population, and only 1 out of 100 have full blown celieac. Gluten just isn't bad for people with the allergen though, and 99% of people with the sensitivity show no symptoms of those anti-bodies that arise from gluten, which is the scary part.

Edited by bobbi364

last time i checked rice doesnt have gluten in it, and arent asian noodle rice noodles? Dairy doesn't have an effect on my skin, however, it is still unhealthy and should be avoided. Gluten sensitivity affects 1/3 of the US population, and only 1 out of 100 have full blown celieac. Gluten just isn't bad for people with the allergen though, and 99% of people with the sensitivity show no symptoms of those anti-bodies that arise from gluten, which is the scary part.

Exactly, Rice and wheat are both carbs but wheat has gluten. And asians do eat the normal noodles not rice noodles. They do eat rice noodles but rice noodles aren't very common and I don't see them much anyways.

As for dairy, I do agree that it is bad. But Kefir is a lot different. It's fermented, most of the bad stuffs are removed. Plus most kefirs are from organic cows with less or no growth hormones. They are cultured, meaning there are living bacterias in them that eat away the lactose and converting it into lactic acid, making it lot easier to digest and making it nearly lactose free. The bacterias in them do multiply and create that sour taste and make it look like a slimmy butter. The bacterias in them are probiotics and are very beneficial. They fight off against the acne causing bad bacteria in our gut and make the good ones more. More good bacteria means lot better absorbtion of nutrients and Omega 6 3 9 fatty acid absorbtion.

It's mostly better to use Goat Milk, since cow milk has one ingredient known to cause acne "casein" which could clog your system. Plus you could even use coconut milk.

Edited by DaftFrost

I find almond milk to work best, but I hardly have anything to put it on, because I don't eat cereal and I don't bake anything except maybe chicken.

I've been thinking along these lines recently too, but it would be complicated to find out your exact heritage I think. For example my family are Welsh, Irish and a few Scots. I know that the Scottish are more similar to the Scandinavians, whereas the Welsh and Irish share similar genetics to the Basques in Spain. But beyond that it would be very difficult to know, I suspect there definitely is something mediterrean on the Welsh side. There might also be something further afield - maybe African/Asian/Arab, judging from the way some of the Welsh family look and taking into account Southern Wales' history, but we haven't done our family tree so who knows. I did wonder whether it might help that I have heritage from different areas and so might be able to tolerate certain foods better.

I only started thinking about this because I have a problem with gluten and looking into it further it seemed that there was a link with Irish people.

You are thinking of someplace else. The Hawaiians are not vegans. And are famous for loving Spam.

Maybe he means a small specific group of Hawaaians because when I was there in Oahu, yeah, they were mostly obese and certainly didnt eat vegan. Maybe he means a traditional group on one of the smaller islands.

Exactly, Rice and wheat are both carbs but wheat has gluten. And asians do eat the normal noodles not rice noodles. They do eat rice noodles but rice noodles aren't very common and I don't see them much anyways.

As for dairy, I do agree that it is bad. But Kefir is a lot different. It's fermented, most of the bad stuffs are removed. Plus most kefirs are from organic cows with less or no growth hormones. They are cultured, meaning there are living bacterias in them that eat away the lactose and converting it into lactic acid, making it lot easier to digest and making it nearly lactose free. The bacterias in them do multiply and create that sour taste and make it look like a slimmy butter. The bacterias in them are probiotics and are very beneficial. They fight off against the acne causing bad bacteria in our gut and make the good ones more. More good bacteria means lot better absorbtion of nutrients and Omega 6 3 9 fatty acid absorbtion.

It's mostly better to use Goat Milk, since cow milk has one ingredient known to cause acne "casein" which could clog your system. Plus you could even use coconut milk.

so you think that good quality kefir is not harmful to acne-prone people ?Id like to try it as I liked yougurt but havent been eating it because of the dairy aspect.

Maybe he means a small specific group of Hawaaians because when I was there in Oahu, yeah, they were mostly obese and certainly didnt eat vegan. Maybe he means a traditional group on one of the smaller islands.

so you think that good quality kefir is not harmful to acne-prone people ?Id like to try it as I liked yougurt but havent been eating it because of the dairy aspect.

Yogurt and Kefir are different. Kefirs are lot more cultured, with variety of living bacterias and it isn't processed with additives like most yogurts. Also the kefirs you see in stores mostly are made from growth hormone free milk.

Get the plain Kefir, and if you want to make one yourself at home, buy a goat milk or coconut milk and just grow kefir grains.

He has to be thinking of some small group, but it isn't a traditional group. Any veganism there is a new trend. Because, like I said, the Hawaiians are famous for loving SPAM! And look at what they serve at a luau. And they brought pigs and other animals to the island when they first settled there. The Polynesians took them everywhere they went since the islands didn't tend to have large game animals. And the pigs and other animals are famous.for having decimated the local flora and fauna. That's why Hawaii tops the list for extinctions. Plus there's all the Asians and their influence on food.

It's crazy the very mistaken impressions people can get when visiting a place.

It's completely individual and something you have to figure out for yourself. But fermented dairy, especially things like yogurt and kefir, are better than unfermented. Cheeses are concentrated dairy so may be higher in some of the many things in dairy that contribute to acne - insulinemic amino acids, the DHT precursor, whatever you might be allergic to such as casein, etc. However, the IGF1 and lactose are reduced during fermentation.

Edited by alternativista

I've had family in Hawaii, majority of them are definitely not vegans, there's tons of Asian influence in the cuisine, and even the traditional pre-contact Hawaiians historically, like most if not all island populations, had a lot of seafood. Besides the firsthand experience, some quick history googlin' tells of a diet that has animals, but I'm sure there's small groups here and there with vegan beliefs. Seriously though, SPAM. I wonder if there's spam without nitrates from pastured pigs. Omg.

As for the whole genetic lineage, I'm half Asian half European ancestry, and rice and dairy don't sit well with me, but I don't take it as an absolute in regards to what I can or can't eat. There's so many factors involved, like the upregulation of specific enzymes over time when reintroducing food, the status of your GI tract, overall levels of inflammation, and what genes you express, so even though someone might carry the genes for celiac, if they aren't expressing the gene, then there's a chance they won't show markers for gluten sensitivity. I say chance since there's research indicating some non-celiacs showing biomarkers for gluten sensitivity despite not being a diagnosed celiac. Sensitivities and allergies are also known to spring up "out of nowhere" in people (and also go into remission), but my personal opinion is that there's a lot going on environmentally that pressures gene expression, plus factors directly affecting the body itself, such as degraded body function through constant systemic inflammation.

Basically, N=1 is the best when considering food intolerances. A 30 day elimination diet where most other factors are already in good shape, such as stress, sleep, exercise and so on, and then introducing foods methodically, should give you a good guide to personal intolerances. Also make smart choices when reintroducing foods, like go for quality fermented dairy at first like sour cream with no milk added, ghee, etc.

When it comes to gluten, it doesn't sit well for me. However, populations have used wheat for a variety of foods, and there may be some individuals better adapted to it than others. We can't say with certainty if they were in optimal health, but they did live and successfully passed on their genes. Basically, look at the science, see how you feel, and gauge things based off where you are at and where you want to be.

Edited by tim12

Nnybody been using coconut oil to cook with or...whatever you do with it? I have picked it up at the store but Im not really sure how to use it so I chickened out. Do you simply use it like you would olive oil/lard(NOT that I ever use lard lol).?

Im thinking sautee things in it, use for coating the pan ect. Can you eat it plain like butter and does it taste bad?

I've been thinking along these lines recently too, but it would be complicated to find out your exact heritage I think. For example my family are Welsh, Irish and a few Scots. I know that the Scottish are more similar to the Scandinavians, whereas the Welsh and Irish share similar genetics to the Basques in Spain.

Some in Scotland have Scandinavian blood added to the mix due to the viking raids and settlements. But otherwise, they are Celtic too.

This is a very good post and it's why there is sadly no "one size fits all" answer to nutrition i think. The Paleo and other nutrition cults have spread like wildfire the last few decades and whilst i understand the principle of most of what they say it isn't always as simple as some of them like to make out.

Does anyone actually know how long it takes for us to adapt/evolve to be able to efficiently digest something?

Many people evolved the ability to carry on producing lactase in a lot less than the thousands of years some would have us believe it takes.

I would bet my life on it [for what's it's worth] that many of us can now digest wheat and gluten fine. Many of us have been eating wheat/gluten for a lot longer than we have been drinking coffee and eating chocolate etc and yet i see so many people [often paleotards] avoiding wheat whilst they continue to happily drink coffee and eat chocolate.

Whilst "native" Peruvians and other South Americans have been eating Potatoes for a while [relatively] they were only brought over to Europe a few hundred years ago. Potatoes are considered an Irish food and yet how "Irish" are they really if they have only been eating them a few hundred years? Obviously they are Irish now just as Belgium is associated with dam fine chocolate and the national dish of Britain is now curry etc. Nationality and race doesn't mean sh1t to me.

Just as others have said most of us are now a right ol' mix of God knows what, we are a bunch of mongrels, there are very few pure breed pedigrees left.

Eating the same diet your ancestors may have eaten isn't really that easy is it.

Maybe the fact we are all mixed up now is part of the problem. Maybe we are just the unlucky "adaptive" generations and once we have all adapted to eating everything acne will be a thing of the past. When you hear about how the indigenous populations like the Kitavans etc have perfect acne free skin because they don't eat all our modern crap it's all relative depending on your own particular backround. We could do with somebody making a Tv programme where they take pure bread indigenous peoples from completely different parts of the World and then swap them around and see what happens to them. Forget about the ethics that is some sh1t i would watch.

One man's Paleo diet is another's man's Mesolithic.

This is a very good post and it's why there is sadly no "one size fits all" answer to nutrition i think. The Paleo and other nutrition cults have spread like wildfire the last few decades and whilst i understand the principle of most of what they say it isn't always as simple as some of them like to make out.

Does anyone actually know how long it takes for us to adapt/evolve to be able to efficiently digest something?

Many people evolved the ability to carry on producing lactase in a lot less than the thousands of years some would have us believe it takes.

I would bet my life on it [for what's it's worth] that many of us can now digest wheat and gluten fine. Many of us have been eating wheat/gluten for a lot longer than we have been drinking coffee and eating chocolate etc and yet i see so many people [often paleotards] avoiding wheat whilst they continue to happily drink coffee and eat chocolate.

Whilst "native" Peruvians and other South Americans have been eating Potatoes for a while [relatively] they were only brought over to Europe a few hundred years ago. Potatoes are considered an Irish food and yet how "Irish" are they really if they have only been eating them a few hundred years? Obviously they are Irish now just as Belgium is associated with dam fine chocolate and the national dish of Britain is now curry etc. Nationality and race doesn't mean sh1t to me.

Just as others have said most of us are now a right ol' mix of God knows what, we are a bunch of mongrels, there are very few pure breed pedigrees left.

Eating the same diet your ancestors may have eaten isn't really that easy is it.

Maybe the fact we are all mixed up now is part of the problem. Maybe we are just the unlucky "adaptive" generations and once we have all adapted to eating everything acne will be a thing of the past. When you hear about how the indigenous populations like the Kitavans etc have perfect acne free skin because they don't eat all our modern crap it's all relative depending on your own particular backround. We could do with somebody making a Tv programme where they take pure bread indigenous peoples from completely different parts of the World and then swap them around and see what happens to them. Forget about the ethics that is some sh1t i would watch.

One man's Paleo diet is another's man's Mesolithic.

wow. I have to say youre a bit off the wall (your style not your ideas) but I love your honesty.

And Im not going to tell you how to get off your High Horse :-)

I sometimes wonder about all that deal with the devil stuff. I really do it would explain a hell of a lot in modern society.