Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi I'm Lex and I have been taking Accutane for 2 Months now. My acne has been controlled from day one of the pills, it almost feels too good to be true. I haven't experienced any serious side effects such as; depression, confusion, stress or any other mental side effects, for which I am grateful. I have some tips on the less serious side effects. I have experienced dry skin, scarring, dry hair and liver discomfort, all of which I have been able to control with my routine, which is why I thought I'd share. Firstly, my dose is 40mg a day and I'm on Oratane, which is just a cheap aussy version of Accutane, I wash my face morning and night with QV Gentle Skin Cleanser.

Dry skin

I never really experienced dry skin until the beginning of my second month, but to control it I use;

Garnier Body Soothing Lotion for Dry, Sensitive Skin - Body (morning/night and any time my skin feels dry)

QV Skin Lotion - Face (morning only, before makeup)

Napoleon Pre-Foundation Primer - Face (only when I wear makeup, I put it on after the moisturizer, and since have never had a problem with dry/flaky makeup)

I also take supplements:

Blackmores - Bio Zink

Swisse - Hair Skin and Nails (Liquid)

Scarring/redness (I do not have surface scars just very red, discolored skin, so I'm not sure how this would work on people who have excessive scarring)

At night after washing my face with a gentle QV wash I absolutely cover my face with Bio Oil (the original one) - I only started using this 1 week ago because my skin was looking awful (before I just moisturized with my QV skin lotion) but in the week I have been using it, I have noticed a significant change, my skin looks 100% clearer! At first I was afraid of putting an oil on my face but this stuff is like magic <3

Liver discomfort and digestion problems

When I started my second month I started taking 40mg instead of 20mg, there was a significant change in my apatite. I felt sick every time I ate and felt like I wasn't digesting properly, it was uncomfortable, so I went out and got some things I thought would help. For 3 weeks I have been taking:

Swisse - Liver Detox (Morning)

Activia Yogurt (Morning with fruit and muesli)

The effects of those were almost instant, very happy.

Dry Hair

My hair is pretty healthy, I think the Hair Skin and Nails is to thank for that, but it is dry (especially at the roots). I use Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly, it makes my hair feel soft and full of moisture. I also don't wet or wash my hair often maybe once a week or less (I know some people think it's disgusting but it works the best for me. The most important thing is to make sure you don't wet your hair (unless your washing it, obviously) but it really works and my hair is always complemented on.

Thanks for reading and I hope I helped smile.png