Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I add avocados to my smoothies?

I've heard some say it's good for the skin

And others disagree and say it can trigger breakouts.

I'd like to know more if anyone has any advice?

Personally I haven't heard any 'debate' over avocados triggering acne or not.

The main thing to know is that treating acne is different for everyone. What works for one person may not work for you. So avocados may or may not trigger your acne.

The only way to know for sure how they work for you would be to add them into your diet / smoothie for a while and see if you notice a difference. Make sure not to change anything else in your regimen so if you break out you could be pretty sure it was the avos. And if nothing seems to happen - and hopefully - if you start seeing a good change in your skin, you'll know you want to keep using them. :)

Should look into whether having too much avocado can be a bad thing. I have no idea if it is or not but might be something to check out.

Hope it ends up working well for you!

Yes avocados are great for fat, you still need fat in your diet, might as well get healthy sources of it.

hi, everyone is different but I have to say what I read on a site last night--people with latex allergies are likely to be allergic to certain friuts including avocados.I dont know if they give me acne but if I eat them, I get itchy and get small red bumps on my chest. They fade in a few hours but that cant be good.

I personally think it has a lot to do with your genetic backround what foods you can eat. If youre Mexican or S American your ancestors are used to corn and avocados and things like that for centuries. Myself being N European, avocados and things like tropical friut would have been foreign to by body and (this is just a guess) is why i cant process them well. People from Italian heritage may be able to process gains and gluten better than, say, Pacific Islanders as they never had gluten in their diet at all (because Italians have been eating the stuff for centuries.)

Anybody else think this makes sense?

Edited by AuguriesofInnocence

Of course they are very nutritious and have plenty to offer, the essential fatty acids and vitamin E are what I can remember off the top of my head on avocados. Thing that sucks is they are so damn hard to cut open lol, can be a nuisance if on the go.

I'm not sure avocadoes will taste good in smoothies. I'm sure they're safe and nutricious to eat.

Also, I made avocado masks, and they makde my skin feel amazing and moisturized.

So if you have dry skin, avocadoes will really help.

Avocados are great in smoothies, you can hardly taste them, they just add a creamy texture. I know I have made cream of tomato soup and used the avocados as the cream texture part, instead of milk.

I've started adding them to my smooties. They made the smootie a lot thicker and more creamy

I'm not sure if they're helping but i'm unsure if any of this is really helping. I'm starting to have my doubts.

I've been eating an avocado as a morning snack almost everyday since last December. Doesn't cause me any problems, as far as I know, but I mostly eat them for some good calories and fat intake. But as others said, it can be individual.

Have you made any other diet changes? Because smoothies alone probably won't do anything. A lot of people do think that diet and acne are connected. From what I have read the main things people think trigger or are linked to acne is dairy and sugar - so cutting these out for a while may be something to try if you haven't already. Also low GI diets are talked about a lot for acne. I'd suggest making sure you do a bit of your own research because I'm not completely sure about what is said about diet and acne. I'm still looking into it myself.

I wouldn't put avocado in a smoothie; it's far too delicious to mask the taste!

Eat it alone, and enjoy it's rich texture exclusively as it rolls around your taste buds. That's living.

I wouldn't put avocado in a smoothie; it's far too delicious to mask the taste!

Eat it alone, and enjoy it's rich texture exclusively as it rolls around your taste buds. That's living.

That's a point. I feel the same way about berries, especially with cooking them. While berry would be my pie of choice, I could never take perfectly delicious fresh berries and do that to them.

This green smoothie talk is a load of crap

I've been drinking it for almost a month now.

I don't look better. I don't feel better

Starting to think vegetables are overrated

And diet doesn't have any connection to acne.

I'm going back to beer. It tastes better and makes me feel good. Avocados are disgusting by the way.

This green smoothie talk is a load of crap

I've been drinking it for almost a month now.

I don't look better. I don't feel better

Starting to think vegetables are overrated

And diet doesn't have any connection to acne.

I'm going back to beer. It tastes better and makes me feel good. Avocados are disgusting by the way.

Well, you only added smoothies. Cutting out a few things and adding something else isn't magic. It takes time, and you have to make sure all of your ducks are in order beyond diet. A month isn't that long when it comes to judging a regimen; 3-4 months would be better.

Avocado's are high in Omega 6 fats. Apparently you can mess up your hormone levels by having too much of a Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. You should be around at a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of Omega 3's/6's. Try to balance it out be ingesting more Omega 3's and less 6's. Instead of a whole avocado, maybe only 1/4th of it. Put some flax seed oil in your smoothies.