Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Some Persuation To Take Accutane

Hi,

I never had acne my entire life, i am currently 25.. up until nov 2011 i started getting small bumps on my cheeks not too bad at all. so i went to the derm and got prescribed differin and FUCK 3 months later my face looks 10000% worse.. i totally regret using differin bc its gotten so bad, my derm told me to go on accutane..

i am very afraid of accutane not because of the side effects but because i might get a bad reaction.. i knew differin was suppose to make things worse than better but to be honest.. its only gotten worse..

i stopped using for 2 weeks and idk if its getting better.. i mean i still get pimples and i have couple of cyst that never come to a head leftover from differin that hasnt went away.. actually one came to a head resently and flattened...

has differin made your face worse then accutane made it better? damn im afraid my whole face is going to blow up using an oral retinoid cuz to be honest the only places where it got worse was the exact areas i used differin..

u think i should give it a try...

If your derm thinks you should go on it and you are not worried about the side effects, I say you go for it. With your age and being done with puberty, you have a great chance of the accutane being your cure for of acne for good from here on out. I'm on it right now, I was scared of a horrible breakout, but It only lasted a week for me and It's been steady improvement since then. Everyone is different and the medicine works in different ways for everyone, but I think it would work for you. Accutane should obviously be saved for severe cases and if your derm thinks it's the right choice, then I think you should at least consider it for sure.

I wish you the best and hope you end up with clear skin :)

I took Accutane about 3 years ago. It worked at first, but about a year ago i started breaking out more than I had before.

I'm on Dan's regimen now and it really seems more effective than the Accutane. Just a thought.

I don't recommend for anyone to go on Accutane. The adverse side-effects outweighs the benefits - By far. So many people go on Accutane, only to get Acne a few years later; but at the cost of damaging their system permenatley. Their are many horror stories online you can read about Accutane as well. Albiet a lot of people claim it works, they still damaged their internal system.

I recommend you go the natural way. Your body can heal itself. Fix your diet, change your life style. Acne is more like a blessing (omg what?!). It's a external warning letting you know that your health is degrading because of your diet and life style. I made a post you can read if you like about how I cleared my acne.

Best Regards smile.png

Edited by overfl00d

Hi,

I never had acne my entire life, i am currently 25.. up until nov 2011 i started getting small bumps on my cheeks not too bad at all. so i went to the derm and got prescribed differin and FUCK 3 months later my face looks 10000% worse.. i totally regret using differin bc its gotten so bad, my derm told me to go on accutane..

i am very afraid of accutane not because of the side effects but because i might get a bad reaction.. i knew differin was suppose to make things worse than better but to be honest.. its only gotten worse..

i stopped using for 2 weeks and idk if its getting better.. i mean i still get pimples and i have couple of cyst that never come to a head leftover from differin that hasnt went away.. actually one came to a head resently and flattened...

has differin made your face worse then accutane made it better? damn im afraid my whole face is going to blow up using an oral retinoid cuz to be honest the only places where it got worse was the exact areas i used differin..

Ugh! Same thing happened to me with Tretinoin! I only had some cysts and pimples on my chin that weren't too bad. Nothing anywhere else. Then I went on Tretinoin and BAM. I had a cyst the size of a half dollar on my cheek! Dead serious. Even after it finally healed while on Accutane it has now become two dime sized hypertropic scars. Can't cover that with makeup if I tried.

If even your Dermatologist thinks you need Accutane then I say go for it.

The side effects and the possibility of permanent damage are something to consider of course.

If your derm thinks you should go on it and you are not worried about the side effects, I say you go for it. With your age and being done with puberty, you have a great chance of the accutane being your cure for of acne for good from here on out. I'm on it right now, I was scared of a horrible breakout, but It only lasted a week for me and It's been steady improvement since then. Everyone is different and the medicine works in different ways for everyone, but I think it would work for you. Accutane should obviously be saved for severe cases and if your derm thinks it's the right choice, then I think you should at least consider it for sure.

I wish you the best and hope you end up with clear skin smile.png

Hi,

Ugh! Same thing happened to me with Tretinoin! I only had some cysts and pimples on my chin that weren't too bad. Nothing anywhere else. Then I went on Tretinoin and BAM. I had a cyst the size of a half dollar on my cheek! Dead serious. Even after it finally healed while on Accutane it has now become two dime sized hypertropic scars. Can't cover that with makeup if I tried.

The side effects and the possibility of permanent damage are something to consider of course.

hey guys thanks.. so i have big pores on my nose and side of my nose (like the area under the eyes).. so im afraid those are going to breakout even tho i never get pimples there.. are the breakout on places where u normally have pimples?

Also, i dont get any acne on my neck/back/chest.. will those breakout!!? lol sorry. im pretty worried about breaking out because the differin has done way more bad than good so im really worried about treatments that make things "worse then better."

lastly, after using differin.. i found out that i am VERY prone to hyperpigmentation.. not the red ones.. the DARK black/brown ones.. do you tend to get a lot of those..

Thanks again!! also perplexity, i like ur accutane log!

Hi,

hey guys thanks.. so i have big pores on my nose and side of my nose (like the area under the eyes).. so im afraid those are going to breakout even tho i never get pimples there.. are the breakout on places where u normally have pimples?

Also, i dont get any acne on my neck/back/chest.. will those breakout!!? lol sorry. im pretty worried about breaking out because the differin has done way more bad than good so im really worried about treatments that make things "worse then better."

lastly, after using differin.. i found out that i am VERY prone to hyperpigmentation.. not the red ones.. the DARK black/brown ones.. do you tend to get a lot of those..

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it :) If you have never had issues with your back/chest/neck I really doubt you will experience any breakouts there. If you do, they will surely end up drying away and being just fine. The only place I had a small breakout that I normally don't is my cheeks. I started developing these small but many red bumps on my cheeks and I have never had any issue there. It went away within a week and it's fine now. I wouldn't be too worried about the breakout stuff. It most likely will get worse before it gets better, I know it's hard and a risk, but you have to decide what you think is the best choice for you. I'd gladly take a horrible month or two of breaking out skin to have clear skin for the rest of my life.

I don't recommend for anyone to go on Accutane. The adverse side-effects outweighs the benefits - By far. So many people go on Accutane, only to get Acne a few years later; but at the cost of damaging their system permenatley. Their are many horror stories online you can read about Accutane as well. Albiet a lot of people claim it works, they still damaged their internal system.

I recommend you go the natural way. Your body can heal itself. Fix your diet, change your life style. Acne is more like a blessing (omg what?!). It's a external warning letting you know that your health is degrading because of your diet and life style. I made a post you can read if you like about how I cleared my acne.

Best Regards smile.png

I was on accutane and I had no permanent damage. I was completely clear for 4 yrs afterwards until I had reproductive surgery which threw my hormones out of whack. It totally worked for me and I never even got dry skin.

OP: If you're not comfortable with it, maybe you should try something else first like the regimen.

Edited by Prettywords

I was on accutane and I had no permanent damage. I was completely clear for 4 yrs afterwards until I had reproductive surgery which threw my hormones out of whack. It totally worked for me and I never even got dry skin.

OP: If you're not comfortable with it, maybe you should try something else first like the regimen.

It's nice that you didn't have any major side effects, and sorry to hear about your acne come back. I have to add though that everyone who takes accutane has damaged their system - It's how accutane works. It reduces the size of your oil glands, sometimes even permanetly damaging them. Is it worth it to take a drug that does that to your system for only a super ficial, external reason? I just personally think that taking such a powerful drug, where you have to take blood tests to make sure your liver isn't getting destroyed, is worth it. Who cares what other people think about your acne. It's such a super ficial issue to me, that it's mind boggling to me that people want to take the easy route and harm their bodies.

It's so easy to cure your acne the natural way, it's saddening to me people go the big pharmacuetical drug route. I will say that there is TONS of misinformation out there, that really does confuse people and they feel hopeless. I had to go through tons of lotions, creams, moisterizers, blah blah blah before I finnaly came about the correct information into how to cure acne.

I won't try to convince anyone to not take Accutane; that's the individuals choice. I will just give a warning about the dangers and point out the healthy, natural way to cure acne (made a post about it).

Edited by overfl00d

Hi,

Not sure which comment is towards me or the other person XD

Edited by Alexis Little

It's nice that you didn't have any major side effects, and sorry to hear about your acne come back. I have to add though that everyone who takes accutane has damaged their system - It's how accutane works. It reduces the size of your oil glands, sometimes even permanetly damaging them. Is it worth it to take a drug that does that to your system for only a super ficial, external reason? I just personally think that taking such a powerful drug, where you have to take blood tests to make sure your liver isn't getting destroyed, is worth it. Who cares what other people think about your acne. It's such a super ficial issue to me, that it's mind boggling to me that people want to take the easy route and harm their bodies.

It's so easy to cure your acne the natural way, it's saddening to me people go the big pharmacuetical drug route. I will say that there is TONS of misinformation out there, that really does confuse people and they feel hopeless. I had to go through tons of lotions, creams, moisterizers, blah blah blah before I finnaly came about the correct information into how to cure acne.

I won't try to convince anyone to not take Accutane; that's the individuals choice. I will just give a warning about the dangers and point out the healthy, natural way to cure acne (made a post about it).

I respect your POV, but I don't think it ALWAYS damages your insides. I think that's a bit over the top. I'm sure it *could* but it doesn't always.

I tried everything. I radically changed my diet etc. & nothing was working. It didn't completely get rid of my oil glands, I still produce oil.

I have a big problem with you saying treating acne is "superficial." It's not. It's like any other disease, except it's on your face. If you had boils all over your body, you'd take medicine to treat it. This is no different. My acne left me disfigured permanently. If I didn't take accutane, I'd still be breaking out and scarring. I don't think that's superficial, because it destroyed my skin forever. The cysts I used to get were very large and they hurt badly. That's not superficial.

I also wouldn't convince someone to take it, because it has the potential to cause liver issues, etc., but I wanted to be one of the people to share a positive accutane story. People need to do what they think is right and they need to know the risks and benefits of any treatment before they make a decision.

I agree. I'm a nutritionist who worked with a Naturopath for several years, changed my diet, used topicals, didn't use topicals, had my hormone levels checked, took herbs, went on liver detoxes, heavy metal detoxes, cleanses, PRAYED TO THE HEAVENS for a natural cure. It never worked for me. I have cystic acne at age 27, almost 28, and I've had acne for 11 years. I'm sorry, but as long as you support your liver by taking milk thistle and eating healthy, drinking lots of water, I don't see how taking a vitamin A derivative can "permanently damage your insides." YOU are in charge of your health and can still take medicines and be healthy long-term. The reason they invented this medicine was to SAVE US from the pain and scarring and disfigurement. DO NOT LET FEAR GUIDE YOUR DECISIONS. Make a list of the pro's and con's of taking Accutane. Also make a list of the pro's and con's of every other treatment you would like to try before taking Accutane. I literally worked upwards from the least invasive to the most invasive treatments to treat my acne, and still ended up starting Accutane. Even my Naturopath supports me because she knows how hard I have worked. Be brave. Believe in yourself, and seek your cure from your heart. <3

I am a female who has suffered for 24 years with acne. I am 32 years old now. It is superficial to an extent. I have had acne that was mild, moderate, severe and disfiguring over the years.

I have had acne so severe that it HURT just to put make up on to cover it, hurt like fighting tears. I have had cysts the size of quarters on my face that made it painful to smile. I am covered in deep and discolored scars. I am also prone to cysts in my outer gential area...NOT fun, and does not feel good. Many people have painful acne on there entire body..so it is not always "superficial" it is a painful disease!

I have done everything I can to treat this crap, and get sick of people saying that its an outwardly signal of abuse to our bodies! Some of the healthiest people in the world have acne.

I FINALLY started accutane in february after saying no to it my entire life. Partly for me, I have had a child and dont plan to have anymore, so I have less concern about residual affects in that area.

I would say, do not waste anymore time thinking about it. I had results IMMEDIATELY after starting accutane, and was kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner. I thought to myself, wow, what a waste of suffering in my younger years when this could have been taken care of a long time ago.

I am currently on 40 mg, and will bump up to 60 next week. The only side effects I have experiened is super dry lips, a bit of eczema on my hands (which has subsided as my body has gotten used to the accutane) and dry itchy scalp, which has also stopped.

I hope to god Im clear by then end of my treatment, and getting lasting results. I say go for it!

Hey kariya, I think you should go on accutane, your doctor will monitor you so i believe it's fairly safe under the supervision of a doctor.

Accutane is the only medication that cures acne, it shrinks your sebaceous glands and your oil production should stay decreased after stopping treatment. I think scars are worse than acne itself mostly because their permanent. I have many non acne related scars on my face (deep cuts). I'm a lot more coscious about them than any acne I may have.

Accutane has side effects but it should cure your acne which makes you unlikely to get any acne scars, If your prone to PIH you probably will get some from the initial breakout, they heal with time and than you can have clear skin. If you don't get your acne under control then your more likely to get scars which stay with you for life.

Good luck

I'm one of the "bad reaction" people... my hair started falling out in clumps after 3 months of accutane. And I still say it's worth a try. But be safe about it. As soon as you see any signs of an adverse reaction (high liver levels, hair falling out, joints starting to ache) stop IMMEDIATELY. I kept going long after I should have stopped.

Also, take Vitamin D. Vitamin D will help to offset some of the symptoms of the Accutane. More information here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/11/is-vitamin-toxicity-concern.html

I took a multivitamin with Vitamin A, along with supplemental vitamin C and E. Don't do that. And if you're worried about your liver, take some taurine. It really helped when I was in the recovery phase, trying to get my hair to grow back.

It was the best thing i did for my acne and wish I had taken it earlier.

No side effects apart from dry lips and skin. I was able to continue with exercises and sports.

Over 4 years on I am still spot free.