Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneIsACurse

For Those Of You Who Have Completely Cured Your Acne, Can You Eat Whatever You Want Now And Not Get Acne?

I know that many people have reduced the breakouts and controlled their acne by avoiding junk food and things like that, but for those of you who have 100% cured your acne and haven't had breakouts in a really long time, do you have to continue eating a very strict diet? Or once you clear your acne are you just like everybody else and you can eat whatever you want with no breakouts? If I ever cure my acne I'm not going to suddenly eat whatever I want lol, but if I clear my acne I want to be able to eat pizza or something like that with my friends once in a while and not have to worrying about having pimples the next day. So for those of you who really CURED your acne, is your skin basically back to normal and you won't break out no matter what?

The answer to the question in the subject line is No. But then, you won't be curing your acne anyway. There's no such thing. Only control.

I don't and never have followed a strict diet. My skin cleared for the first time in memory when I stopped drinking sugar and began improving my diet and of course, I avoid the foods to which I am intolerant that cause me to break out in cysts the next. day. But I'd figured that out long before. Anyway, it stays clear most of the time on my diet that consists of mostly real, whole nutrient dense foods. I do occasionally eat pizza. And I only have a high glycemic thing like a slice of birthday cake in combination with something to lower the impact like fiber capsule or a handful of walnuts. Or after a good, low GI meal.

So if you eat pizza once in a while or eat a slice of cake once in a while you don't get acne the next day? Could I get my acne to a level where I never have to worry about getting lots of fiber or zinc or probiotics or any of that stuff, just eating average food and then once in a while eating fast food and not get acne?

if i ever eat gluten or dairy or cashew or almonds i breakout.

if i avoid them im clear.

i never had a time when i ate one of them and didnt breakout :(

so im kinda fkd up lol.. but thats ok.. id rather give up those and have a clear face.

So if you eat pizza once in a while or eat a slice of cake once in a while you don't get acne the next day? Could I get my acne to a level where I never have to worry about getting lots of fiber or zinc or probiotics or any of that stuff, just eating average food and then once in a while eating fast food and not get acne?

what do you mean by average food? You mean the typical diet that's killing us all?

what do you mean by average food? You mean the typical diet that's killing us all?

we all gonna die anyway

we all gonna die anyway

Yeah, but how decrepit and miserable do you want to be in your old age? Or middle age? Or nowadays, childhood?

When I was a kid, there was maybe 1 fat kid per grade in school. One. And they weren't that fat compared to kids today. Now a third of them are obese.

Everyone is different with regards to diet. Some people claim they eat pizza or *insert junk food here* and they get cysts the next day. Some like Alternativista can enjoy the occasional junk food with little consequence as long as they consume it with something high in fiber and maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.

Me, it dosen't matter what I eat or don't eat. Nothing has helped my acne aside from the 'drug that must not be named'.

I will say that regardless of it's affect on my acne I continue to eat healthy and exercise daily. Your overall health should also be taken into consideration, regardless of the state of your face.

Edited by tritonxiv

Everyone is different with regards to diet.

This is true. And we can't tell you what you will experience. Also, other factors like sleep/circadian rhythm, physical activity, stress, etc affect how strict a diet needs to be.

Alternativista can enjoy the occasional junk food with little consequence as long as they consume it with something high in fiber and maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.

Well, the fatty cheese takes care of the glycemic impact. Not much need for fiber.

Acetic acid, such as a salad with a vineagrette is another thing that will lessen the glycemic impact of whatever you are about to eat.

So is acne all about glycemic index? Does that have anything to do with androgens, DHT, or oily skin? Because since I'm 17 I think that's primarily the reason why I have acne, too much DHT and oily skin. What foods specifically reduce the conversion from testosterone to DHT, and what makes my skin less oily?

I

Well, the fatty cheese takes care of the glycemic impact. Not much need for fiber.

Fatty meals = low glycemic impact? That's good news for me, I love rich (fatty) foods. That's part of the reason why I cut out all forms of sugar, to minimize the impact of saturated fats on my blood vessels.

Fiber is just great! Ever since I started eating carrots well... ahem. I let's just say I wasn't getting enough fiber before that....

So is acne all about glycemic index? Does that have anything to do with androgens, DHT, or oily skin? Because since I'm 17 I think that's primarily the reason why I have acne, too much DHT and oily skin. What foods specifically reduce the conversion from testosterone to DHT, and what makes my skin less oily?

It's not all about any one thing. Its a combination of factors that culminate in the symptom of acne in those that are acne prone. Excessively elevating blood sugar the way diets do today (and that would not happen if we hadn't invented sweeteners and highly processed foods, not to mention an overabundance of foods) affects acne and health in many ways including screwing up your hormones. Don't do it.

Dairy contains a precursor to DHT and affects acne in several other ways.

For more info on the above and the many other ways diet and lifestyle habits affect acne: http://www.acne.org/...t-lead-to-acne/

Edited by alternativista

I have conflicting thoughts about this subject.

It's important to define what a cure means to you, first of all. To me, I think of being healthy as being able to process nearly all foods without symptoms. Of course, if you get carried away with it, and go back to eating badly for an extended period of time, you will bring back the conditions that cause acne in the first place. In that sense, it is not a cure. So to be more precise, I would say that someone has sufficiently cured their acne if they can eat whatever they want as long as they get their needed nutrients.

There is a user who used to post on here named moonbase who claimed to cured his acne, could go back to eating whatever he wanted by eating a diet that no one could really believe. There was another thread in which after he said he cured himself, he went on a diet that consisted of large amounts of food that used to cause him problems, like citrus and dairy. He said that neither caused him anymore problems even after consuming large amounts of them. I wish he posted more photographic evidence, and more links or studies backing up his claims, but doing my own research on his methods have yielded results here and there. I've come to the conclusion that he was sincere, but I don't know that his diet would work for everyone or that it accounts for all possible conditions and circumstances. One aspect about him that I did like was that he was well aware of the idea that there is no one perfect diet, and seemed to be pretty well versed in different ways you could go about fixing your acne with diet. That was another thing that led me to believe he was sincere, he wasn't hellbent on converting everyone to one single diet. A notable quality, imo.

Anyway, a few users (corgisoulpower, tim12, TDNB, and I) have been doing GAPS to try to heal leaky gut, which is believed to be a contributor to systemic inflammation. My experience with GAPS wasn't much different from a normal paleo diet, it really just inspired me to add bone broth, to be honest. Bone broth used to have amazing effects on my face, making it very smooth and clear all by itself. However, as things normalized, other issues started making themselves apparent doing a high fat diet like GAPS. I would get horrible muscle cramps, I would break out just by getting excited for any reason really, haha. It was awful. Doing a high fat, very low carb diet also made me sensitive to things I didn't used to be sensitive to. I started researching the logic and health benefits behind higher carb diets with sweet potato and fruit as the basis of the carb intake. I've been doing a pretty high carb diet, and the biggest effect I noticed immediately was that I was much happier when I started adding fruits in significant quantity back in. The sensitivity to everything issue also disappeared, as did my foot cramps. My acne got better with the addition of all this sugar to my diet, which made me realize that nobody should be completely demonizing any single nutrient. Everything has a context for which it works. Nothing is completely horrible for you. As much as we know about diet, there is far too much about it that we don't know. Interactions in your body aren't limited to a few vitamins and minerals, and there are thousands of different compounds in foods that all play a part.

It should be important to note that I had a very skewed idea of what a high fat diet looked like, and that I stayed away from plenty of foods initially for no good reason. It's probably why some things got worse. I don't mean to scare anyone away from GAPS or high fat. They're good diets, just make sure you know how you to do them right.

This brings me back to what I originally wanted to say. If a food, in itself, was the sole cause of acne, then eating a certain food at any point in my life would have given me acne. I didn't start getting acne until I was about 12-13. Pretty normal age. My childhood diet wasn't great. Way too much bread, and junk food in hindsight. However, if these things were bad for me bar none, they would have given me problems simply consuming them. But problems didn't start appearing until later in my life, and they gradually worsened. I'm led to believe that a suboptimal diet over a long period of time slowly sets up the conditions for acne. I don't believe acne is ever only the sole problem either. From what I read, and my own experience, acne most often appears side by side with another condition. Certain foods can irritate a certain condition, and the point of eating a healthy diet would be to heal that certain condition.

A lot of things seem to work in the short term for me. I'm starting to think that maybe looking at being either high carb or high fat or high whatever is not really the answer. Eating a lot of the same foods, healthy or not, gets boring to me, and I feel unsatisfied after meals after a while. I'm a firm believer that if your meal is unsatisfying to you, you are NOT getting the nutrients you need. If you aren't getting the nutrients you need, your diet won't be working for you.

If you're noticing that you diet doesn't build robustness or it is unsatisfying to eat, then modification and experimentation is probably necessary. Or there may be some other factor I don't know about.

It doesn't help that there is not a huge amount of information out there about the different internal factors that can cause acne, but the research I have seen is promising. My own experimentation has led me to believe that if you are truly healthy, acne should not be a problem. I've also learned that nutrition is tricky business, and if you are not confused by it, you have not looked into it in-depth enough or for long enough.

Just my own thoughts on the subject, I'm by no means an expert.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

You should be able to eat whatever you want with the caveat of avoiding foods you have an IgA or IgE antibody response to. As in, if you're allergic/sensitive, "curing" your acne won't "cure" these triggers (probably).

Of course, if you eat poorly for a long time, you could cause more acne problems for yourself.

Gluten is my problem, I could go on and eating everything else and be okay, but once I get gluten in my system it's game over.

I know that many people have reduced the breakouts and controlled their acne by avoiding junk food and things like that, but for those of you who have 100% cured your acne and haven't had breakouts in a really long time, do you have to continue eating a very strict diet? Or once you clear your acne are you just like everybody else and you can eat whatever you want with no breakouts? If I ever cure my acne I'm not going to suddenly eat whatever I want lol, but if I clear my acne I want to be able to eat pizza or something like that with my friends once in a while and not have to worrying about having pimples the next day. So for those of you who really CURED your acne, is your skin basically back to normal and you won't break out no matter what?

i dont mean to flatter you too much at all, but this is one of the greatest questions anyone has asked on this site in a long time.

the answer in my case is no i cannot eat anything i want but yes i do control my acne very well, i previously thought my only solution was accutane, which i tried for one week but had a bad reaction to it.

but now i have a possible explanation to why this is, i believe it is due to the nature of gut bacteria and how we digest foods, we may have destroyed these bacteria with antibiotics, preservatives, a fiberless diet and excessive hygiene practices which limits our contact with good bacteria in our environment. the healthy bacteria need fiber to support their growth, if we avoid fiber, then pathogens can take over and eliminate the good bacteria for good causing them to become extinct in the ecosystem of our gut. also, antibiotics can render these good bacteria extinct as well, while preservatives may not have much of an impact but may play a role.

until we know more about these bacteria in our gut and how they work, this knowledge will not be known to science yet, but within the patients testimony, which this entire website is dedicated too, you will find some connection with food and acne, but no one really knows why this is the case.

probiotics may help, but we need to get fiber in your diet from fruit veggies and whole grains, and we need to somehow acquire the bacteria which have become extinct in our gut. i believe if people have enough sex with certain select partners they may acquire these bacteria and yes the sex must be really dirty. but dare i say this in a public place, i believe making a probiotic supplement from a healthy persons feces to be a real solution, and this theory is supported by real science. the concept that is becoming more apparent over the years through science is, we need a certain amount of bacteria for the human body to function properly, they are part of our immune system and provide a barrier to bad bacteria which try to invade us, one of the most important is the intestine which is the most vulnerable to pathogens, but the lungs and nasal passages are vulnerable as well.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

There was a really interesting thread on here a few months back (started i think by moonbase....if i remember his name correctly) where he tried putting back dairy into his diet after being convinced it was a previous factor in his acne. If i remember correctly (apologies if not) he had no acne breakouts from consuming diary for a few weeks, but i think if i remember he said his mood felt lower. I can't remember a lot of the details or indeed if the acne eventually came back but it was an incredibly interesting topic.

I've just bumped an old thread by moonbase called 'My Dairy Experiment: So Does It Really Cause Acne?' check it out. It seems he's been able to enjoy dairy and cirtus once more with no bad effects since he healed his gut.

Edited by Bosie

I've just bumped an old thread by moonbase called 'My Dairy Experiment: So Does It Really Cause Acne?' check it out. It seems he's been able to enjoy dairy and cirtus once more with no bad effects since he healed his gut.

If you had a damaged digestive tract it might have caused some (or many) of your food intolerances and those that it caused might go away once you heal your digestive tract. But that's a lot of ifs and mights. I don't doubt that many of you are 'broken' as Moonbase puts it. But it isn't true of all of us. If I was so broken, my skin wouldn't have cleared with such easy diet changes. Just as many other people experienced. And I certainly didn't become broken at age 10 when my acne started. Although I don't doubt that most 10 year olds today are 'broken.' If you read his post where he describes his background, you will see he had all kinds of problems. If that sounds like you, then you likely should follow his protocols. It sounds nothing at all like me though.

And in fact, many people have issues digesting fructose in which case Moonbase's recommendations would be harmful, not helpful. Now I believe those people can improve their fructose malabsorption of course. The circadian cycle and certain nutrients affect how you metabolize fructose and other carbs, for example. But that's nowhere in his protocol. He recognizes no other issues.

So, no, it is not 'the one true cause' of everyone's acne. There is no such thing as one true cause, except of course, chronic inflammation which can and is caused by many things. And you wouldn't be such a fan if you'd seen the insane ranting attacks he made on me via PM in which he said amongst other things, everyone here on this forum is an idiot.

i dont mean to flatter you too much at all, but this is one of the greatest questions anyone has asked on this site in a long time.

You mean in about a month, since the same question is asked about once every month.

I think its probably OK to cheat once in a great while like on your birthday or new years, but lets be honest if yoy think you can get away with eating junk once you are clear only by eating healthy...there goes all your hard work down the drain. Not nice but probably true. People with severe allergies cant get away with it at all. Other people can...just expect that you might break out if you go nuts with cake alcohol dnd fried stuff on Cinco de Mayo after a year of veggies and brown rice.

@alternativista

Well obviously i don't condone rudeness towards you, me or anyone else, but i admire the way he put himself to test in the name of trying prove his theory. Also i look back at my health as a child and what i ate and i'm frankly appalled that up until the age of 22 i never ate anything that wasnt processed. Moonbases theories of 'broken bodies' appeals to me as an explanation from my own experiences. It wouldnt surprise me if my insides are rotting given what i ate for 22 years.

On the topic of my acne, i'm a huge believer in the diet and acne connection for MODERATE/SEVERE acne. I rarely ever get cysts but when i tried introducing wholemeal bread back into my diet (on the advice of my doctor to help me gain weight) i broke out 30 minutes later in hives. The next day two of my spots swelled to massive cystic levels and are right now in the process of healing (tho they will leave scars). Also refined sugar causes mouth ulcers and Whisky makes my pores look huge, so i think its safe to say there is a connection. The problem is my acne doesnt start with cysts/nodules it starts with blackheads/ whitehads and ingrown hairs. I'm still trying to figure things out for myself but athough all this information is useful, i think my acne is different from a lot of people on this board who seem to have healed their bodies of cystic acne through diet changes. My acne is mild-moderate which starts off with horrendous clogged pores that later become infected (usually after i eat something dodgy) and then take months to heal (they often leave scars too)

@alternativista

Well obviously i don't condone rudeness towards you, me or anyone else, but i admire the way he put himself to test in the name of trying prove his theory. Also i look back at my health as a child and what i ate and i'm frankly appalled that up until the age of 22 i never ate anything that wasnt processed. Moonbases theories of 'broken bodies' appeals to me as an explanation from my own experiences. It wouldnt surprise me if my insides are rotting given what i ate for 22 years.

On the topic of my acne, i'm a huge believer in the diet and acne connection for MODERATE/SEVERE acne. I rarely ever get cysts but when i tried introducing wholemeal bread back into my diet (on the advice of my doctor to help me gain weight) i broke out 30 minutes later in hives. The next day two of my spots swelled to massive cystic levels and are right now in the process of healing (tho they will leave scars). Also refined sugar causes mouth ulcers and Whisky makes my pores look huge, so i think its safe to say there is a connection. The problem is my acne doesnt start with cysts/nodules it starts with blackheads/ whitehads and ingrown hairs. I'm still trying to figure things out for myself but athough all this information is useful, i think my acne is different from a lot of people on this board who seem to have healed their bodies of cystic acne through diet changes. My acne is mild-moderate which starts off with horrendous clogged pores that later become infected (usually after i eat something dodgy) and then take months to heal (they often leave scars too)

My problem is with anyone who insists their cure is the one and only and addresses the one and only true cause of acne. I myself have gathered and shared info on problems that affect acne that have absolutely nothing to do with me. Because those things affect other people. There are only a few things that apply to everyone such as that healthy diet and lifestyle (or lack of) affects everyone and chronic inflammation and hormones are pretty near always involved in acne. Even in the case of food intolerances since reactions are inflammatory and there's a correlation between histamine and androgens.

Also, btw, I suspect most cystic acne is actually an allergic reaction. But diet affects all acne not just moderate and severe.

Edited by alternativista

And in fact, many people have issues digesting fructose in which case Moonbase's recommendations would be harmful, not helpful. Now I believe those people can improve their fructose malabsorption of course. The circadian cycle and certain nutrients affect how you metabolize fructose and other carbs, for example. But that's nowhere in his protocol. He recognizes no other issues.

So, no, it is not 'the one true cause' of everyone's acne. There is no such thing as one true cause, except of course, chronic inflammation which can and is caused by many things. And you wouldn't be such a fan if you'd seen the insane ranting attacks he made on me via PM in which he said amongst other things, everyone here on this forum is an idiot.

I agree with the no one true cause thing. I thought perhaps since he didn't think one diet was perfect that he would be more openminded than the typical zealot claiming they found the ultimate cure for acne. He seemed nice initially, but he seemed to become more angry as he posted here more, as well. Sucks. If he attacked you via PM, that definitely makes me lose respect. I think a lot of his posts can be valuable though.