Notifications
Clear all

How Much Do You Cover Your Acne?

MemberMember
(@adalyn)

Posted : 05/10/2012 9:57 am

Hey all,

I've been super curious about how much coverage everyone here wants when it comes to putting on makeup for acne. From what I've seen a lot of, it seems that people use makeup that gives full coverage (full opacity) to hide acne. I wonder what everyone's take is on that? Do you cover fully or just enough to hide acne?

I just feel like I'm one of the few people who, in my more recent years, have slowly gone from full coverage to medium to light coverage because I'd rather my skin look like normal skin - which in most cases, isn't perfect, and stil has slight discolorations, blemishes, and uneven texture. Personally I'd rather even out my skin color with a light to medium coverage to tone down the redness on my face, and spot conceal remaining acne/areas that still "pop" or draw the eye to the area. (Then again, my acne nowadays is in the light-moderate severity range, as opposed to when it was moderate to severe a couple years ago.)

What are your thoughts on how much coverage you would use?

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 05/10/2012 10:53 am

As much as possibe!

I dont like liquid foundation unless I am getting photos taken or something special, but I use concealer on any spots and red marks, and I use powder. Most of the time it works fine. I use blotting papers, I so hate oily skin.

MemberMember
(@starlitskies)

Posted : 05/10/2012 1:54 pm

I use mineral foundation which provides like medium coverage. On the areas without acne, I barely dust any makeup on at all (like my forehead). However, areas like my jawline where my acne is the worst I'll put extra foundation, and then spot conceal the really bad ones. However, I like to keep my makeup pretty natural, which is why I like mineral foundation. It covers well without looking cakey!

MemberMember
(@portofmorrow)

Posted : 05/10/2012 5:38 pm

I used to love my full coverage foundation - the more flawless my face looked the better! I would often put foundation powder ON TOP of the liquid foundation. Yuck!

Since starting the regimen, however, I prefer a much lighter coverage. I apply a tinted moisturizer (oil-free), then I spot treat my acne scars with some concealer, and finally I apply some translucent powder to set the products and control shine.

I don't want my face to scream, "I'm wearing makeup!" I want it to look natural. That's the look I prefer on other girls too.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 05/10/2012 6:32 pm

I'm sort of the opposite. I used to wear my foundation really light - even though my acne was still bad then. It was just enough to take out the redness. But it was also probably a little too light for my skin tone so if I used a lot of it, it would look strange.

Now I'm doing a more medium coverage. The foundation is thicker so it's easier to do - though again not a perfect match to my skin - this one is a slightly darker foundation so If I want a heavier coverage I have to bring it down my neck a lot to blend it.

So yeah - medium coverage so some blemishes still show through but that's fine for me - I don't like looking really 'done up' with flawless makeup all the time - especially when it's just a normal day- but if I'm going out and it's more of a special occasion I'll put more effort into my makeup

MemberMember
(@mm-brian)

Posted : 05/16/2012 5:49 pm

I prefer full-coverage, definitely. But I also like it to look like skin, which is REALLY difficult to achieve when you have redness everywhere! I have been using foundation for so long that I know how to achieve it it though lol although I still have off-days and end up cakey..but it's better than my actual skin. I do medium coverage for college days or days where I'm more relaxed etc, full coverage for work or when I want to feel really good about myself. :)

MemberMember
(@sherrinblue)

Posted : 05/17/2012 6:10 pm

Its ideal to place a foundation as a base then just use a concealer to treat specific issues like acne and blotchiness

MemberMember
(@wanderlustjenn)

Posted : 05/21/2012 11:11 pm

I used to love my full coverage foundation - the more flawless my face looked the better! I would often put foundation powder ON TOP of the liquid foundation. Yuck!

Since starting the regimen, however, I prefer a much lighter coverage. I apply a tinted moisturizer (oil-free), then I spot treat my acne scars with some concealer, and finally I apply some translucent powder to set the products and control shine.

I don't want my face to scream, "I'm wearing makeup!" I want it to look natural. That's the look I prefer on other girls too.

what tinted moisturizer do you like? I think it would work great for me, although i have acne-prone and sensitive skin. I have random redness all over my face, and i hate putting foundation on all over, when i could easily even it out and then spot conceal the acne or something. Let me know, thanks!

MemberMember
(@jodieeeanne)

Posted : 05/22/2012 7:15 am

I like full coverage but I'm quite lucky in the sense that my acne really is confined to my chin area and jaw line only.

What I tend to do is put a BB cream on which evens then rest of my face out and dust lightly with Estee Lauder Double Wear powder. I then build the coverage on my chin whilst trying to keep it natural so I pop some Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation on my chin and then spot treat areas with Dermablend and set it with a setting powder. I then do blush etc.

Although I cover quite fully over my acne areas I don't feel I look caked and I can get away quite often with people not noticing as much because my forehead, cheeks etc are quite bare.

Wanderlustjenn - I use Garnier BB Cream in light. It gives me enough coverage to even skin tone and then as above I spot treat where necessary =) x

MemberMember
(@portofmorrow)

Posted : 05/22/2012 7:32 am

what tinted moisturizer do you like? I think it would work great for me, although i have acne-prone and sensitive skin. I have random redness all over my face, and i hate putting foundation on all over, when i could easily even it out and then spot conceal the acne or something. Let me know, thanks!

Hey, so I just started using the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, which is oil-free. It's expensive but I decided to treat myself - and I love it! I'll have to wait until I finish the tube to decide whether it's worth re-purchasing, as it's such a steep price. But if money is no object, I would recommend it!

MemberMember
(@inastateofhopefulness)

Posted : 05/22/2012 7:54 pm

For better or worse my face is usually overdone. I go for complete coverage.

MemberMember
(@wanderlustjenn)

Posted : 05/22/2012 9:44 pm

Hey, so I just started using the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer, which is oil-free. It's expensive but I decided to treat myself - and I love it! I'll have to wait until I finish the tube to decide whether it's worth re-purchasing, as it's such a steep price. But if money is no object, I would recommend it!

Okay, i trust you i think i'll pick it up tomorrow! I love Laura's primer so this sounds promising. Do you put reg. moisturizer on THEN that? I have dry/normal skin. Thanks! xx

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 05/23/2012 5:42 pm

Okay, i trust you i think i'll pick it up tomorrow! I love Laura's primer so this sounds promising. Do you put reg. moisturizer on THEN that? I have dry/normal skin. Thanks! xx

If your skin is super dry, you may want to use a moisturizer before applying LM Tinted Moisturizer. I have oily skin and I use it after BP and find it's more than enough moisturizer for me. It's a fantastic product. LOVE IT.

MemberMember
(@portofmorrow)

Posted : 05/29/2012 5:20 pm

I have a few dry spots on my face which I apply regular moisturizer to before putting on the LM moisturizer.

So, how do you find it? I love the dewy finish it gives the skin! So healthy looking.

MemberMember
(@missree)

Posted : 05/30/2012 12:30 am

I have only a few pimples here and there but a lot of acne scars. I only wear makeup at work. I use Mac Studio Fix concealer on my dark marks, a little definitely goes a long way. I then use Covergirl Trublends Mineral powder and lightly dust it over my face and neck. Thats it, its not much work but I get perfect coverage, people say they can't believe I have acne scars. Both products last me forever too, Ive had the concealer and powder since November 11, used it 4-5 times a week and the concealer is still over 3/4 full and powder is almost gone.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/07/2012 12:17 pm

Liquid foundation is just gross and my fiance hate hate hates it. It's so...noticable.

I like to apply my green powder from EM and then a light dusting of the mineral foundation. It kind of wears off throughout the day and he likes how natural it is.

MemberMember
(@ninetynine)

Posted : 06/07/2012 10:00 pm

I used to use just a simple powder which had horrible coverage and was so bad for my skin. I use a tinted moisturizer with a mineral powder for weekends and when I'm having a breakout, liquid and mineral foundation for school and when I'm having "good" days. Lazy days I don't wear any at all, it gives my skin a break and let's it breathe.

MemberMember
(@riceballinafruitsbasket)

Posted : 06/07/2012 10:24 pm

I also have moderate acne, and while I prefer the look of full-coverage foundation, I like the feel of tinted moisturizer (LM Illuminating, I HATE matte make-up- weird huh?) better. The redness in my face bothers me more than the bumpiness (which, quite frankly, I can't hide, no matter how much war paint I cake on my face), so I've settled for evening out my skin tone and using a little concealer on more problematic areas.

Also, my skin is really easily irritated, and having to rub all of that foundation off every night was more trouble than it was worth. Makeup remover only dissolved so much, and I was always left with a lobster-red face from buffing all that junk away with a washcloth/sponge.

MemberMember
(@vampireninja09)

Posted : 06/13/2012 7:24 pm

Well now that my acne is in control for the monent, I prefer light to medium covererage, or no makeup at all.

When I go out, I'll wear medium coverage, when I'm home or going somewhere not important, it'll be light coverage/nothing at all.

My skin is getting better and I want to embrace that fact by not wearing makeup, but at the same time I like how even it makes my skin, haha.

MemberMember
(@wabbit)

Posted : 06/28/2012 2:39 pm

It really depends on how my skin looks that day - some days I will go out with just concealer on my spots, but sometimes I will opt for a foundation as well. However, I never go out without at least some make-up; for about a year or two, my acne has been too bad to do that.

MemberMember
(@angolmois)

Posted : 07/10/2012 1:23 pm

I do about medium coverage - I use bb cream and then I go over spots with dermablend cream.

My roommate goes the entire nine yards though and she does a fantastic job.

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 07/16/2012 12:26 am

well, on a daily basis i do medium coverage. i feel uncomfortable being under fluorescent lighting @ wrk without that type of coverage. when i go wrk out i would say i have light coverage, or no coverage @ all. i know that i could possibly b judged harshly by people who see me outside of foundation, but to be honest, that makes no difference to me. i've said this before, but i don't feel guilty for wanting normal looking skin. i DEFINITELY have felt guilty in the past. i used to hate buying makeup to cover acne, and acne-fighting skincare. i used to b so embarrassed. but life is so short to not wear foundation to please others who consider you fake or whatever. my skin is still an insecurity, and i understand that people can view me as deceiving, but that's ok. i accept that, and i'm fine with that. everyone reacts to their acne differently. some choose to cover it as much as they wnt to, and some choose to go bare faced. i don't see anything wrong with either way.

MemberMember
(@simonukox)

Posted : 07/24/2012 8:55 am

It really depends on the day, if my acne is horrendous, I just cover it up till I forget it is there haha. Sometimes I'd much rather be seen as someone who wears too much make-up, than someone who has acne.

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 07/24/2012 10:34 am

When I had bad acne I went for full coverage. I wanted to do everything I could to hide the red marks and blemishes. I did that for a while....it just became routine makeup process. Once my face had cleared up a lot, I used less makeup.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 07/28/2012 12:43 pm

Sometimes I'd much rather be seen as someone who wears too much make-up, than someone who has acne.

This is exactly how I feel/think, too.

P.I.