Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exercise will help keep the skin clear because when you sweat it opens up the pores and cleanses them-- at least the theory goes. Not to mention regular exercise will help any acne sufferer feel better about their overall image too.

Has anyone seen some noticeable differences in their skin after sustaining regular exercise for a period of time?

i ran the london marathon and for the next week my skin was the best ive seen it in 2 years.

but i also play rugby alot and that doesnt help at all, im guessing its because of all the testosterone and my face making contact with things

It relieves stress (sort of, lol) which helps balance hormones which helps acne. And it helps by increasing circulation and speeding up healing time (provided you are putting in the good nutrients to make healthy blood in the first place)

Aerobic exercises are good, like running, increasing circulation.

But lift weighting and heavy exercises could actually worsen your acne as your body becomes very toxic during that process. Your PH lowers, produces lots of hormones and toxicity increases.

It relieves stress (sort of, lol) which helps balance hormones which helps acne. And it helps by increasing circulation and speeding up healing time (provided you are putting in the good nutrients to make healthy blood in the first place)

. And improves insulin sensitivity. But you want the right kind of exercise which is moving around a lot all day everyday and occasional intense activity in short spurts such as sprinting, climbing hill and stairs and lifting heavy things.

Honestly, I used to never exercise and ate crappy foods and I had very mild acne. Now that I eat much healthier and exercise regularly (mostly anaerobic, like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc.), my skin is the worst it's ever been. Am I doing anything wrong? Maybe it's a coincidence.

Edited by WildGo0se

Honestly, I used to never exercise and ate crappy foods and I had very mild acne. Now that I eat much healthier and exercise regularly (mostly anaerobic, like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, etc.), my skin is the worst it's ever been. Am I doing anything wrong? Maybe it's a coincidence.

What came first the exercise and healthy diet or the acne? And yes, you likely are doing it wrong given the bad information put out by conventional medicine.

What came first the exercise and healthy diet or the acne? And yes, you likely are doing it wrong given the bad information put out by conventional medicine.

I've had acne since around age 14/15; I'm 22 now. But when I look back on pictures from that time, sometimes my skin was relatively clear and sometimes I had a few pimples. It was very mild, but I remember it still bothered me at the time. Now I would give anything to have the skin I had then. It's much worse now, and got especially worse after coming off of birth control last September.

For the passed few years, I've gradually made healthier lifestyle choices. I only drink water and tea now (used to drink soda all the time when I had mild acne). I try to eat only grilled meats. I eat organic cereals with almond milk because I generally avoid cow's milk. I eat oatmeal and try to stay away from processed foods. I avoid high fructose corn syrup/corn syrup/aspartame/artificial sugars like the plague. I've also been juicing mostly vegetables and some fruits for the passed couple months, but haven't seen an improvement. I do strength training several times a week because it's the only thing that has helped me gain weight (always had trouble with that).

I really want to cut out gluten but the people I live with now are not very supportive and I'm afraid of losing too much weight. But, until I can give it a full go, I'm generally eating healthily and I still get acne every day.

Edited by WildGo0se

Everyone's different, so much so that two people could have the opposite skin reaction with regards to exercise.

The most important thing to keep in mind is exercise is necessary regardless of your skin condition, so it's best to just get in your exercise any way you can, and try to control your acne in other ways.

I've had acne since around age 14/15; I'm 22 now. But when I look back on pictures from that time, sometimes my skin was relatively clear and sometimes I had a few pimples. It was very mild, but I remember it still bothered me at the time. Now I would give anything to have the skin I had then. It's much worse now, and got especially worse after coming off of birth control last September.

For the passed few years, I've gradually made healthier lifestyle choices. I only drink water and tea now (used to drink soda all the time when I had mild acne). I try to eat only grilled meats. I eat organic cereals with almond milk because I generally avoid cow's milk. I eat oatmeal and try to stay away from processed foods. I avoid high fructose corn syrup/corn syrup/aspartame/artificial sugars like the plague. I've also been juicing mostly vegetables and some fruits for the passed couple months, but haven't seen an improvement. I do strength training several times a week because it's the only thing that has helped me gain weight (always had trouble with that).

I really want to cut out gluten but the people I live with now are not very supportive and I'm afraid of losing too much weight. But, until I can give it a full go, I'm generally eating healthily and I still get acne every day.

You say you avoid processed foods, yet you mention cereals and gluten???

Forget the cereals!

Make yourself a good corned beef hash or steak and eggs with hash browns. Mmmmm sooo good.

^ Or salmon patties. That's a nice brunchy thing for breakfast.

Or if you like a sweet carby thing for breakfast there's sweet potatoes. Which to make them a more conventional breakfast food, you can grate and cook like hashbrowns with some added veggies. Or mash with eggs to make pancakes.

I said I try to avoid those foods, but I'm not perfect. Me dieting specifically for acne is very new to me, and I need to do more research on exactly what foods I can eat and map out a diet plan for myself. I'm going to get a food sensitivity test done so I at least have a guide to what I'm sensitive to. I have a lot of the symptoms of being sensitive to gluten (skin issues, brain fog, fatigue/low energy, poor concentration, moodiness, anxiety, digestive issues), so no matter what the test says I'm cutting that out.

I just thought that improving my diet from what it was in the past would translate into at least an improvement in my acne, not a worsening of it. But I guess it doesn't matter if it's aggravated by a food that I'm still consuming to some degree.

Forget the cereals!

Make yourself a good corned beef hash or steak and eggs with hash browns. Mmmmm sooo good.

^ Or salmon patties. That's a nice brunchy thing for breakfast.

Or if you like a sweet carby thing for breakfast there's sweet potatoes. Which to make them a more conventional breakfast food, you can grate and cook like hashbrowns with some added veggies. Or mash with eggs to make pancakes.

Those all sound like fantastic alternatives! Thanks for the tips. I love corned beef hash, though I don't have it very often. I've never really tried sweet potatoes, but that sounds exciting!