Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
montaellisforprez

A Tough Battle, But The Dkr Works.

I've been reading these message boards ever since I've started the DKR in January, but its not until now that I've decided to share my story and hopefully encourage those of you struggling with acne.

All throughout high school and my first year and a half of college I was pretty much acne free. I would get the occasional pimple now and then, but nothing serious. Then, towards the end of the first semester of my sophomore year in college I started breaking out terribly. I didn't make any major changes in my diet, lifestyle, face routine, etc. so it was honestly a terrible feeling going from a clear face to an acne mess. It honestly felt like I went from great skin to acne everywhere overnight.

In January I decided to start the DKR hoping to combat this new acne. Just like most people on the DKR, the first couple months were pretty bad. Dryness, flaking, and redness were never-ending. Over the first couple of months I noticed very little improvement, and even in the third month dryness/flakes would still come off and on. I contemplated quitting numerous times in that third month but realized that if I didn't stick with it, it was not only a waste of 3 months, but it would also put me back to square 1.

As it stands now, it has been approximately 4 months and I can say that I am 95% clear. Although it took me longer than I had hoped for to get clear, it worked and I am glad I stuck with it. It's also worth noting that I never ramped up to the full 2 pumps of BP. My skin is very sensitive and honestly 2 pumps would have killed me. Now I've just got to worry about all this darn PIH and scarring...

The moral of my story: if you are thinking of doing this regimen, DO IT. But stick with it and follow the routine as best you can keeping in mind that YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR SKIN. You know your skin better than anybody so if you're like me and feel like 2 pumps is extreme than don't do it. Also keep in mind that this is a huge time commitment. As a college student it was pretty difficult to fit the regimen into my schedule twice a day, but it is possible. Stay committed, stay positive, and you will see results!

At max I went up to 1.5 pumps of BP each morning and each night. As of right now I'm using 1 pump each morning and night. I apply BP twice a day. Everything about my regimen is the exact same as the DKR except for instead of 2 full pumps I just use 1.

This is very encouraging to me:] I've been on the regimen for about 2 weeks and although the dryness is controllable, I'm experiencing the initial breakout Dan talks about. *sigh* no fun at all.

I hope your skin continues to improve:D

Edited by FreeToBeMe

But stick with it and follow the routine as best you can keeping in mind that YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR SKIN.

Yes times a hundred! When I first started the regimen, I was so eager to have clear skin that I ignored my skin (which was basically inflamed). I had to stop the regimen entirely and it's set me back a month. So yes, if you have sensitive skin - Dan's mantra of "when in doubt, use more BP" is probably not something you want to heed.

Congrats on your success with DKR!!!! I too started in January and completely clear... It just gets better and better with each passing day... Hopefully at the six month mark, we can both say... DAMN DKR KICKS ASS!!!! :)