Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeBee25

Rang My Boyfriend In Tears :(

Hey everyone. I'm a new member to this site, even though I've been reading it for around 2 years now. I'm just having the worst time and I guess I'm kind of looking for some support.

Basically, last Tuesday I drained a cyst on my chin (I know its not the best idea) but it'd been there for over 2 weeks and had a slight whitehead, so I used a sterilized needle to make a small hole and drained it. I cleaned it up and it scabbed over fine. I left it to heal.

But today, to my absolute horror, when I went to apply my make up after I got out the shower I realized the cyst was back..it was red, swollen.. some of the scab had come off but underneath the cyst was still there. I'm so upset because I did everything right, the cyst was flat all week after I'd drained it sad.png

So now, I'm left with a swollen painful cyst again on my chin. To make things worse I also woke up with a pimple on the side of my nose and I NEVER get nose pimples! I currently live away from my boyfriend (I'm at university) and I'm meant to be seeing him this weekend for the first time in 3 weeks and I called him in tears sad.png I feel so ugly and my self esteem is so low, I just feel like crawling into bed and crying all day. He comforted me and told me I'm beautiful, he doesn't care about my skin, he's known the whole time that I suffered with acne and it doesn't bother him.

But I can't help feeling like I'm not good enough, I can't even look people in the eye when I have cysts this bad. Life just doesn't seem fair sad.png

hello there new girl, first welcome to this site officially. Sometimes it seems we are the only one sffering with acne but there are thousands on this site alone. Reading about other peoples ways of coping and suggestions is a big help.

Second, did anything change lately, which could explain your new breakouts...on/off birth control, diet, different topicals etc?Are you eating a lot of sugar and dairy and fired stuff? You might want to go through a list and see what could be triggering your acne if anything, if youre very young it could simply be hormones.

I think the best way to calm down a cyst is to take anti-inflamatory meds like ibuprofren, and put ice on it for short periods. Along with your topical and maybe a clay mask at night to clear it up.

I know you feel bad but try not to dwell in it every moment, it will go away and your boyfriend is right youre beautiful anyway.

Thank you so much for replying :) I usually feel so alone as I don't know anyone with acne as bad as mine, to make things worse I live with two girls at university who are beautiful and have perfect skin! I feel like the 'ugly friend' so often..

I can't think of anything that I've done differently, I've been on Dianette birth control pill for 2 years now which I'm due to come off next month and change to Marvelon because of the risks with Dianette :( The Dianette has worked to reduce the number of cysts I get, I used to get them every month around my period, big painful ones.. and now they're only every 3-4 months. My diet and skin regimen has stayed the same so I'm guessing it must just be hormonal changes or something!

When I see the doctor about changing my birth control I might ask about going on some oral antibiotics to try and help my skin.. have you tried any of those?

Thanks so much for understanding, :) I guess its just hard to believe when people tell you you're beautiful because all you see in the mirror is a face full of red bumps and cuts :(

Welcome aboard! smile.png

If your boyfriend says he doesn't care and he thinks you're beautiful regardless, believe him. By the same token, don't put off meeting up with him, especially if you're often apart now and have to make the most of the time you get together. Can totally understand how you're feeling about yourself and how you might have ended up focusing on your skin, but it really isn't worth letting it win and missing out on your plans. That would just make you feel even worse.

Sounds as though Dianette has given you good results and that you don't generally have much to contend with so that's a positive; at least you're not having to constantly contend with multiple cysts all the time. Might as well try and look of the bright side! I know that's not always easy and we're undoubtedly our harshest critics, but try not to be so down on yourself. If you keep taking care of your skin, odds are that cyst will clear up when it's ready so perhaps patience and kindness towards yourself are what's called for.

In terms of doing something with it, if you can use BP or anything like that, might be worth a shot. Personally, I use Isotretinoin gel which I get on prescription as I'm allergic to BP. That really helps me blitz any huge monsters if they randomly appear. I find that if I'm applying stuff like that to something that's already open and sore, it's best to apply it directly to it and not all around. Then I put Sudocrem over the top and I find that really helps with reducing redness in general, and it also counters any irritation the gel (or BP or equivalent) could cause.

smile.png

Hey :) thank you for replying! I know I should believe my boyfriend, we've been together a year and a half now so he really has seen my skin at its worst and at its best, but when I suffer with cysts I just feel so down and spend a lot of my time crying, so sometimes I feel like its not fair to be like that around him :( I know its just temporary until it heals, but the affects that suffering with acne has had on my self confidence is something I can't ignore and continues even after my acne calms down.I just feel like hiding away when my skin is bad, I've lost count of the number of plans I've cancelled over the years :(

I'm just going to let nature take its course I think and let the cyst heal by itself, only using my gentle cleanser when I wash my face then aloe vera gel/sudocrem over it at night. I have tried BP before but it didn't agree with my skin, it caused my skin to go bright red, flaky and tight, then I think the dry skin caused me to get more break outs from blocked pores etc.. I have really sensitive skin so I try to avoid BP unless I'm using a tiny amount on individual spots which sometimes helps!

Thanks for telling me what you use, I think I'll mention Isotretinoin gel when I see my doctor :)

No problem, happy to help. I can certainly recommend the gel. I could never use anything else and even the lowest percentage BP or Retin-A, etc., would burn my skin on contact. Granted, it worked on my acne to a degree, but it was totally melting my face off in the process! :lol: The gel's pretty potent stuff so if you go overboard with it, it will soon let you know, but generally I find that it starts making a huge difference over night. That helps me a lot because if it reduces things, it minimises my ability to pick and make things worse. What works best differs from person to person, but Isotretinoin gel has definitely been one of the key things that helped to clear my acne.

:)

Yeah I kinda had the same reaction with BP, it made my whole face flake so I couldn't wear make up because it would look awful, it was so sore and it'd leave my skin with a weird bumpy texture until I stopped using it!

Have you ever taken any oral antibiotics/tablets? I tried oxytetracycline a long time ago, but they didn't do much for my skin, so my doctor put me on birth control instead to try and help my acne. I think I need something a little stronger though, as my breakouts are getting more and more frequent since I turned 21 in November!

So you have 1 cyst on your chin? The rest of your skin is clear? Im not trying to downplay what and how your feeling by any means, but 1 mark on your face? I along with many other ppl here would trade our skin for yours! But I can relate. Ive backed out of social events and what not because I had 1 pimple on my cheek. Its crazy.

No it's not just one cyst, I have a lot of pimples on my face, but none of them have been cystic for a while (I used to get them all the time) so I guess its just upset me that I have one again, and its really really painful. I can deal with whiteheads/pimples as I'm used to coping with them, but these cysts take forever to go away and they are just so much more noticable!

Have you ever taken any oral antibiotics/tablets? I tried oxytetracycline a long time ago, but they didn't do much for my skin, so my doctor put me on birth control instead to try and help my acne. I think I need something a little stronger though, as my breakouts are getting more and more frequent since I turned 21 in November!

Hi CeeBee,

I can totally understand what you're going through. Just a few months ago I was on this site every day after having cried my eyes out because of a horrible cystic break out I had (the worse one of my life) My entire chin and parts of my lower face were covered in huge bumps and cysts and I literally cried every single day for weeks. It was a pretty dark time for me. Some things that I did that really worked:

I used a really gentle cleanser: Cerave foaming facial cleanser and I mixed a few drops of betadine into it. I know this sounds kind of weird but this worked wonders for me. I made a lather and gently washed and exfoliated my face. This really speeded up the healing process for me. Lately I've been mixing one drop of betadine in my lotion and putting it on my chin (where my acne is worst) and this really seems to be helping keep my chin clear.

I found this site to be of enormous support, it was a life saver for me. Just remember that you have a lot of support here from people who have walked in your shoes and know the pain of acne firsthand. Feel free to drown you sorrows here, ask questions, start conversations, etc. We're all here for you.