Notifications
Clear all

Jake's Uk Post-Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/09/2012 3:49 am

I've now completed my 6 month course, but will carry on updating as a Post-Accutane log, about how quickly my side-effects wear off, if I stay clear etc :)

Day 1, Week 1

Popped my first pills, 30mg, this morning with Breakfast.

Ahh Yeah biggrin.png

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 05/09/2012 3:52 am

Always great to see UK users! Gives hope to the slow grinding NHS system.

Good luck! I hope it goes well for you :)

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 05/09/2012 3:55 am

You're on the same dose as me, and I'm in the UK too.

I love the NHS!

Good luck with your course, I look forward to reading your log :)

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/09/2012 2:28 pm

Good luck with it! I love that you're keeping a fresh and organic diet too :) That actually helps so much with the way you feel both physically and mentally!

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/12/2012 3:54 am

Day 4, Week 1

Wahey, it's working!

Well, it's kicked in at least, I woke up this morning to cracked corners of my lips. I was getting a bit worried that it wasn't taking effect so it's reassuring.

My face, especially my forehead, is pretty greasy atm, but that's probably due to not putting on BP for the first time in about 4 years.

Got a few inflamed looking whiteheads on my forehead, again, probably due to the lack of BP.

So yeah :)

Nothing else to report really,

I love not having to put creams on my face! And I defs don't miss the occasional surprise hellish BURNING from BP.

x

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 05/12/2012 11:13 am

Day 4, Week 1

Wahey, it's working!

Well, it's kicked in at least, I woke up this morning to cracked corners of my lips. I was getting a bit worried that it wasn't taking effect so it's reassuring.

My face, especially my forehead, is pretty greasy atm, but that's probably due to not putting on BP for the first time in about 4 years.

Got a few inflamed looking whiteheads on my forehead, again, probably due to the lack of BP.

So yeah smile.png

Nothing else to report really,

I love not having to put creams on my face! And I defs don't miss the occasional surprise hellish BURNING from BP.

x

One of the reasons why I decided to take Accutane was to get off all the medicated creams and face washes. My wash and shave routines are so much more simpler now. Cleanse > Moisturise, done. I do apply Retin-A 2-3 times a week though to help with fade PIH marks and even skin tone/texture, but it's so much better applying creams and lotions every morning/night!

Accutane started kicking in around about the 3-4 day mark, it's when I noticed my lips beginning to get dry.

Good luck with it!

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/14/2012 7:16 am

Day 6, Week 1

Lips still dry but not too dry, my face is still SO oily though I'm really looking forward to it getting really dry.

My nostrils are a bit sore, and I have a massive spot behind my ear, and a few in my eyebrows! Really weird. I didn't put epiduo on those areas though so maybe epiduo areas aren't going to have an initial breakout because those areas had one at the start of Epiduo.

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/15/2012 10:46 pm

Day 6, Week 1

Lips still dry but not too dry, my face is still SO oily though I'm really looking forward to it getting really dry.

My nostrils are a bit sore, and I have a massive spot behind my ear, and a few in my eyebrows! Really weird. I didn't put epiduo on those areas though so maybe epiduo areas aren't going to have an initial breakout because those areas had one at the start of Epiduo.

I found that my face actually got OILIER within the first few days, while I've just noticed my lips getting noticeably drier in the past two or so days (I'm going to be on day 10)... but not to the point of cracking or anything. Do you guys have bag balm in the UK? HIGHLY recommend for lips and dry nostrils.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/16/2012 6:28 am

Do you guys have bag balm in the UK? HIGHLY recommend for lips and dry nostrils.

Day 8, Week 1

I've never heard of Bag Balm before, at the moment my Carmex is sufficing but when they get drier I'll look into upgrading :)

I have two spots :o

One big one in between my eye brows and one on my right cheek, the eyebrow one is sore.

Really hoping I don't get a bad IB now....

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/16/2012 10:19 pm

Do you guys have bag balm in the UK? HIGHLY recommend for lips and dry nostrils.

Day 8, Week 1

I've never heard of Bag Balm before, at the moment my Carmex is sufficing but when they get drier I'll look into upgrading smile.png

I have two spots gasp.gif

One big one in between my eye brows and one on my right cheek, the eyebrow one is sore.

Really hoping I don't get a bad IB now....

Keep your head up! It'll get better before you know it and you won't even remember the downsides soon enough :)

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/17/2012 3:59 am

Keep your head up! It'll get better before you know it and you won't even remember the downsides soon enough smile.png

Oh don't worry! I'm loving life at the moment, no burning face from BP and an appetite now that I'm off antibiotics! It's like a dream come true xD

Except for the PAINFUL VOLCANO in between my eyebrows my GOD I haven't had a spot this big, angry, visable and pus filled in a very long time! AHHHHHHHHHH. I don't want to leave the house :(

MemberMember
(@veruca-salt)

Posted : 05/17/2012 6:11 pm

Maybe put some first-aid cream on it? We have neosporin in the states; I'm not sure what a British equivalent of that would be.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/21/2012 5:30 am

Day 12, Week 2

Well, I had two Giants a few days ago, literally like the size of a blueberry, one inbetween my eyebrows, one on the side of my head. They were so huge my mom even commented on them.

But, they're pretty much gone now! I never pick, the tops came off when I washed and the rest is history, big red marks there though.

Side effects wide, oh my GOD my lips. Its not even that they're just sore and dry, they're all swollen and puffy and red. I can't find Aquaphor anywhere here in the UK even online :( Carmex just isn't cutting it anymore!

Also, eyebrow dandruff? I've been noticing lately that my eyebrows have been 'thinning', as in each time I rub them a few fall out, now, I' not too concerned as my eyebrows are pretty thick and bushy anyway, but the dandruff is gross.

Also, actual dandruff. Never had it in my life before, although my head was dry my scalp has always been a bit more greasy but the boyf pointed out I had a bit of dandruff going on back there, so come next wash I'll use Head & Shoulders.

I drank on Saturday night - and on Sunday my god did I regret it. You know how hangovers dry you all up anyway, well that combined with the dryness from Accutane just dried me out. My eyes were so red dry and sore, my skin was so red and tender, ahh.

I will not be doing any heavy drinking again.

In other news,

TWO EXAMS LEFT :D

Both next friday though. French Politics and Spanish Literature & Cinema - kill me now.

x

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 05/21/2012 7:37 am

Aquaphor has recently been rolled out by Boots. Although Eucercin Dry Skin Replenishing Face Cream 5% Urea works like a dream.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/24/2012 6:52 am

Day 15, Week 3

LOVING the weather right now! I'm being good though and staying in the shade, wearing sunglasses etc seeing as I'm sensitive to the sun.

I have a couple of little spots, one on each side of my eyebrow and one on my jaw, they're tiny though.

I've noticed that my Blackheads are 'pushing' themselves out, just like on Epiduo, just this time at a much faster rate, which is good!

On the whole I'm loving life, I have no aches or pains, my face isn't that dry, it's just nice and not oily, and I am so much less red thanks to not putting creams on it, my skin is just on the whole looking way better, not oily, not red, not irritated, a few tiny breakouts which aren't that bad - if my skin didn't get any better then it would still be a 75% improvement and I'm only on Day 15!

The only side effects I have are super dry cracked lips, but vaseline and carmex are helping, each morning I wash my lips to get the dead skin off and then cover them in Aquamol my face moisturiser, that helps.

Although, hilarious/painful story. My friend stuck a half eaten Haribo sweet on my lip to make it look like it was my tongue (not realizing how sore my lips were), then when he pulled it off, it took a chunk of lip with it. It bled a little, now I have a scab, he feels really guilty. Lulz. Just goes to show you how Sore and Fragile your lips will become even so early on such a low dose!

I have dandruff, but I'm washing my hair just once a week with Head & Shoulders, and putting 3/4 drops of Jojoba Oil in it.

(It works AMAZINGLY. I bought it originally as a Moisturizer but it just didn't agree with me, but I've always had dryish hair and use expensive anti-frizz hair oils, anyway so I tried Jojoba and it worked even better! Just 2 drops in the morning after you dry it and your hair doesnt look dry or frizzy, looks normal, and it's so cheap)

SInce Accutane though i've upped it to 3/4 drops and sometimes even have to do it twice a day.

Cannot express how happy I am!

I love Accutane!

Although I'm well aware that in the following 3-6 months, my side effects probably will get worse so i'm not counting my hens just yet.

xx

Of course, I'm well aware that

MemberMember
(@jodieeeanne)

Posted : 05/24/2012 9:37 am

Glad to hear you're getting on well - I'm on Day 7 so I'm a week behind you but ironically I was on Epiduo before my course aswell so will be interesting to see if we fare similarly.

I'm using Carmex at the moment too and I'm getting some Chapstick medicated as a lot of people seem to swear by it and its only 1.50.

I found Aquaphor online on EBay incase you're still after it (the lip balm that is) And I'm using Eucerin products as a cleanser and moisturiser. I'm actually using their Aquaphor balm which has a lot of healing properties which is nice. I did try Cetaphil wash as I was given a sample by my derm but it just felt slimy - I have no other way of explaining it.

Might look into the Jojoba Oil tip seeing as my hair is a frizz ball anyway.

I'll be following your progress as a view of whats to come so keep me updated !! My logs hanging around somewhere in here too =) xx

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/27/2012 12:02 pm

Day 18, Week 3

Hey Guys.

The gorgeous weather continues!

I've been using Olay Sensitive Moisturiser with SPF 15 instead of Aquamol to avoid getting sunburn.

Lately, my skin and lips though haven't been as dry as they usually are! Especially the lips, it's really weird, I hope the accutane hasn't stopped working or something.

I went out on Friday and Saturday to celebrate end of exams, and I'm out Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday next week too, I've been good though, as in not getting drunk, idk like half a bottle of wine each time in Sangria and Spritzers. I figure wine with fruit and water is healthier (and weaker) than spirits, mixers, etc.

I know you shouldn't drink on accutane and i can totally understand why. I am always SO dry after a night out now. Especially my eyes, and having just had Laser Eye, it does concern me a bit.

So again, might just stick to a few glasses of wine this week each night.

I don't feel too bad though because after this week I won't be drinking until September, this week I'm obliged to as its the final weeks of Uni.

Keep to my usual tricks though, start drinking water an hour before I leave, try and get about 3 pints of water swallowed before I go to sleep along with a some banana and porridge or other healthy snacks to help soak up some of that Merlot.

Still having a few pimples, but my blackheads 'emerging' still going on, after I wash sometimes they just fall out, leaving a gaping red hole which disappears within a few days, but then the pore goes too.

My nose and chin are looking gross, the blackheads are super big and noticeable now but I'm hoping all the purging will be over in a few weeks.

-

Acne is such an emotional rollercoaster.

I wish I had have been put on Accutane in November like I wanted instead of wasting 6 months on Epiduo and Antibiotics, I feel like I wasted 6 months of my life.

The end is in sight though, I cannot wait to get there. If I'm on a 5 month course (the average time span) then I'll be done around the start of October (my Birthday!)

By that point I'll be living in France, be 21, with laser-eye vision, and hopefully crystal clear skin, no creams to put on, no pills to take, no avoiding being in pictures.

I'll hopefully have put the weight back on that I lost recently (I blame the antibiotics) and bahh, I'm just so excited.

It's just annoying how had I have been put on Accutane in November, I'd be there already, and could really enjoy my summer, instead of having to avoid the sun, avoid alcohol, not work out too much from tiredness etc.

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 05/30/2012 4:57 am

Day 21, Week 3

Wow, three weeks already.

My blackheads are definitely purging, sticking out, they come out when I wash/itch. They look really big and gross so hopefully they're all out soon.

My dry skin on my face came back with a vengeance yesterday, and my Dandruff was SO bad! I'm sort of glad as it shows at least it's working, but today, skin's not that dry, just goes to show how much your skin changes on a daily basis.

No new pimples, scars seem to actually be sort of fading now! (something which never happened when I was using BP).

So yeah, still so happy!

I'm at the Dermatologist again on Friday, where I have to convince him to give me 9 weeks supply for when I'm working in Spain, I hope he agrees to it!

I'm going to try and only update once a week now, unless there is a development.

:) x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 06/01/2012 4:56 am

Day 23, Week 3

OH MY GOD. Do not drink on Accutane.

I didn't even drink that much, maybe a bottle of wine?

I had the worst hangover for the next 24. maybe even 48 hours, of my life.

I ached everywhere. Hurt to move. It was just a hangover but 5 times as bad.

I mentioned this today and the nurse went balistic. Started screaming how I was told NOT to drink at all, which I wasn't at all. No one, not a doctor, nurse, or even in the packaging, did it say don't drink - I just knew I shouldn't drink too much whilst on it, which I haven't been, In 3 weeks I've probably had about 3 bottles of wine in total.

Anyway I'm just not going to drink now at all - it's not worth how shitty it makes me fell.

I went to the Dermatologist today and she won't write me a prescription out for the 6 weeks, apparently when I had my pre-accutane blood test my white blood cell count was slightly lower than average anyway so they need to monitor it?! They never mentioned this before.

So I now have to call back on Thursday to try and get an appointment before the 24th of June and get Blood Work Done, Results Back and Prescription Written before I go to Spain.

SIgh.

Overall, bad day.

Oh I also Broke out. Massive painful one on my cheek - defs alcohol related.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 06/08/2012 3:29 pm

Day 30, Week 4

I'm breaking out a little, I have one small one on my jaw line and one on my right cheek :(

And my face is just looking so red and irritated at the moment, but I'm glad I'm at the one month mark, one down, 3-5 more to go.

On the positive side, I barely have any blackheads left on my chin or nose, it's amazing! I haven't been so free of blackheads since I was about 12.

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 06/13/2012 3:44 am

Day 35, Week 5

So it's now been 5 weeks, it feels so much longer than that!

I got my bloods taken yesterday, I'm back in 5 days to get the results & new prescription with my derm, finger crossed I can carry on.

I hope they up my dosage, my side effects have been really mild, no nose bleeds, lips and skin not that dry, slight lower back pain (just feels as if I've been bent down a bit), and Accutane is all about the cumulative dose, the magical 120mg per kg of body weight.

I'm 65kg, so at 30mg I'd have to take it for 8 months. I've worked I'll need to be on 50mg for the next 4 months to get my cumulative 7,800mg dose.

Besides, I just want all this to be done with. I'd rather have twice as bad side effects for half the amount of time than vice versa, so I really want to be bumped up to 50, the thought of being on Accutane for 7 or 8 months is depressing.

I'll be discussing this all with my derm anyway.

Oh and that 'red one' on my right cheek I spoke about last time? Became the BIGGEST spot I have ever had in my entire life It had about 4 pores worth of pus, started emptying by itself yesterday and almost fully today as I gently washed - it bled a lot and has now scabbed over. I've put some sudocrem on it just because of the slab/bloodyness because it's really good at closing wounds, I don't usually use it on spots but I know it is great at sealing wounds.

I'll update again after my derm appointment!

x

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 06/18/2012 7:51 am

Day 40 (5 Weeks)

So today my derm said my last bloods came back fine and bumped me up to 50mg for 6 weeks, pretty happy as I've started breaking out lately, and my dry skin/dry lips have almost gone away completely.

But I still have 19 days left of the 30mg tablets. So, Could I just take 40mg for 38 days, then 50mg for for the remainder of my prescription? I'll be taking the same cumulative amount of tablets in the time frame, just with a period of 40 inbetween instead of bumping straight up fro 30 to 50, what do people think?

MemberMember
(@gecko333)

Posted : 06/22/2012 5:31 pm

Day 45 (6 Weeks)

Ahh I have three big fresh spots on my FOREHEAD. I hardly ever used to break out on my forehead :(

I'm scared to up my dose now in 15 days time.

Also, I'm thinking of getting braces, just write off the whole next 6-12 months as 'self-improvement' whilst accutane works, scars fade, and my teeth straighten. Would having to deal with Accutane and Braces be too much though? Discuss.

x

MemberMember
(@jamie-o)

Posted : 06/22/2012 6:40 pm

Also, I'm thinking of getting braces, just write off the whole next 6-12 months as 'self-improvement' whilst accutane works, scars fade, and my teeth straighten. Would having to deal with Accutane and Braces be too much though? Discuss.

Got link for you on someone who had problem having braces while on Accutane, but they could have experienced more serve side effects than you are. This link is http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/127850-accutane-and-braces/

I also did a search and found that SupernaturalFanatic used to have braces while on her current course. I'd suggest you get in contact with her; she's really friendly and helpful.

Good luck with your Accutane course mate

MemberMember
(@kennydewyze)

Posted : 06/22/2012 6:42 pm

i am on my 4th pill today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing special! yet