Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zalaok

Clear Skin Right Before/during Period?

So I've been noticing a strange pattern in my skin for a few months. My skin gets pretty clear right before and during my period every month. I know its common for women to get more breakouts on their period, but its the complete opposite for me.

Does anyone else have this happen? What kind of hormone imbalance would that be? Has anyone with this problem found an effective treatment to deal with this hormone imbalance?

just a little background- I've been recovering from anorexia for almost a year now, and i'm 100% positive my extreme weight gain is the reason why my hormones have gone crazy and have given me a face full of acne- i've never struggled with acne before this.

i'd like to find out what the hell is going on with my body but i don't know what to do.

In the past my skin always cleared up literally the day I got my period, or during my period. It was always my savior. However, I usually broke out really badly in the 2 weeks leading up to my period, so I don't know about it getting better "slightly before." The reason is because once your period comes, estrogen levels increase, preparing you for another cycle of oh-so-fun fertility!

Now my skin has no rhythm since I'm on birth control and heading on Accutane, so unfortunately, it's all just breakouts, whenever, whatever. Blargh. Point being, it can be totally random since everyone's different. :-/

The normal pattern is to break out the week or so before your period, because your testosterone levels increase (which leads to oily skin and acne), and then your face heals during your period because it reverses and estrogen rises again. At least, that's how I understand it. And really, apart from eating healthy, there isn't much you can do to make the breakouts better - besides going on birth control. However, that doesn't always work out so great either...

Just try eating healthy, taking good care of your skin, and avoid eating dairy (it can mess with your hormones since milk has so many hormones in it).

If your acne really is from all the healthy weight gain, then I bet your acne will improve once you reach a stabilized, healthy weight. I'm sorry about your acne, it sucks for all of us :( But we're here for you!

The week of my period my face is always the nicest. Clear and less oil flow.

I get a flare up right before my period and at ovulation.

Sounds like everyone on here has too much testosterone. I read drinking peppermint/spearmint tea can reduce testosterone so I'm picking some up then next time I go to the store and I'm going to see if that helps at all...Besides that I guess we'll just have to hack it out :( Make sure you drink lots of water to keep all the toxins flushed out and the hormones more balanced!

I've noticed my skin breaks out like 2-3 weeks before my period, then when I am on my period I don't seem to really get pimples, but I just seem to get pimples all the time anyway so I am not sure when or when I dont get them.

Right there with you, girl. I'm an ex-anorexic too. Yeah for recovery. :]

The same thing happened to me when I attempted recovery last summer... It was horrendous and horrible (and made me relapse badly.) I went from crystal-clear pale skin (isn't it strange and cruel how beautiful skin is when you're starving?) to almost 100 zits in the course of one freakin' week.

I think weight gain was the reason for it. I tried gaining REALLY fast last summer on really unhealthy foods (like 3000 calories a day of Ben and Jerry's and pizza.) My face just exploded from all the dairy and sugar. We have to remember that we've starved ourselves and our bodies aren't working correctly yet. We need to be gentle with them until they can handle "normal" food and digestion without freaking out (and thus causing breakouts...)

At the start of this year I started recovering again, and its gone wonderfully. I've gained about 20 lbs from my low weight over the course of about 4 months. Nice and slow and steady and eating healthy foods. I still get about 2500 calories a day, but that includes a lot of fruit and vegetables and healthy fats (good for periods--I still don't have mine back!), with moderate protein and whole grains, and pretty much no sugar or dairy. I'm happy and healthy, and my skin's happy and healthy...

So the point of all that was to say that it IS possible to recover/gain weight from anorexia without breaking out! You can do it if you really try!! (Are you in a good place right now? If you're in danger of relapse, of course recovery is more important than your face, so keep doing what you're doing to gain weight. But if you're in a good place and can handle tweaking your diet a little without having any psychological or physical consequences, seriously consider switching out the traditional gaining foods for more healthy options!)

I definitely know how you feel. It's hard enough dealing with an eating disorder without a skin disorder to top it off.

My problem is my tendency to slip into relapse without noticing it myself. I know a big part of why I still have acne is because I don't consistently eat the 2500 calories or even close. I've gained a total of 50 pounds from my lowest.. and I kind of feel like I'm done gaining, it's exhausting. I do try to eat healthy like you mentioned, so that's good.. Although my acne has significantly improved over the course of a year.. it's still pretty consistent. I thought it would've been gone by now.. nope.

so i'm guessing you're completely clear now?It's really encouraging to hear that it can be done, albeit a bit difficult. keep doing what you're doing!

I love coming on this site because it's so easy to find people to relate to! I was/am/have been anorexic for the past 5 years and I'm pretty sure the reason I keep relapsing is due to my acne. When I was at my thinnest my skin was at it's clearest, so to me, gaining weight means not only relinquishing power of the size of my body but also the condition of my skin...anyway it's so comforting to find someone who's successfully gained weight without breaking out, and it's inspired me to try again. Thanks and congrats :)

I just joined so I'm a little late to the party but I've also been experiencing this. For the last 2-3 months, my skin has been getting clearer a week to a few days before my period and then stays that way during my period. I find that I break out the worst around the time of ovulation. My story beings here:

I was on birth control pills for 10 years and stopped taking them in December of 2010 because it killed my sex drive. My guy had a vasectomy as well so felt I didn't need them anymore. I did not start getting my period again until April of 2011, 4 months after I had stopped. From there, my skin was still clear only starting to mildly break out around June 2011 and really started getting BAD around August 2011-April 2012. It was and is clearly hormone related. My hormones were running crazy ups and downs for the better part of that entire year and continued to do so until recently. My periods were all over the place, 21 days here, 40 days there. The breakouts were red, painful, sometimes itchy and almost always on the side of my face, cheeks, and jawline. I would wake up with new ones and then go to sleep with even newer ones. Sometimes clusters of whiteheads on my forehead and temples and running down the side of my face. I started seeing a Dermatologist in January of 2012 and am continuing to see him now. Its been a long 8 months but we're starting to nail down a routine for me:

He has me washing my face 3x's a day with Purpose facewash, using a topical gel of Benzamycin (Erythromycen and Benzoyl Peroxide) during the day and Epiduo on trouble areas at night. The Purpose facewash is a very mild gentle cleanser that removes dirt and make up and doesn't cause my skin to react to it - ideal for sensitive skin. It is just about as gentle as using water but also cleanses better than water. He also has instructed me NOT to use a face cloth. These are breeding grounds for bacteria which is one of the big causes of breakouts. I wash my hands with soap first and then only use my hands to wash my face, dabbing (not rubbing) with a clean towel afterwards. Once or twice a week I will also exfoliate before bed using a Clarisonic Mia cleansing brush and the Purpose facewash. The only time my derm. has told me to use a cloth is when I feel a pimple forming or am experiencing a break out, use a clean cloth, fold it a few times and run part of it under very hot water. Then apply the cloth to the area. The heat will kill the bacteria and the steam will help open your pores. This is what I do anytime I feel one or feel several in one area.

For moisturizer, I use Purpose moisturizer during the day and Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector at night. I also got a sample of Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Cx30 serum which is supposed to help fade dark spots. I've only just started using it so so far no real results from that but I anticipate some in the coming weeks (fingers crossed).

In addition to these things, I've also switched from liquid foundation to Bare Minerals powder foundation. It feels much lighter on my face than liquid and I've seen a little improvement since the switch. My dermatologist also explained to me that the bacteria on our skin feeds on the oil that our skin produces. So oil control is also key. Without the oil, the bacteria will start to dwindle and without the bacteria, the breakouts start to become less frequent. This means DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. Do not pop or pick or touch. I know its hard, trust me, i've popped a few in my day which is why I have scarring now. But the oils and dirt from our fingers only add to the oil on our face which means a Grand Buffet for the little bacterias. I always carry oil absorbing sheets with me and blot whenever my face starts to get that heavy feeling or I start to see a lot of shine. This also seemed to help.

And finally, one thing I feel that has helped me immensely is DRINKING WATER. Water is pretty much the only thing I drink but looking back, I wasn't drinking nearly enough. Women need roughly 8 cups a day (around 64 oz). I started drinking 60-80 and on days that I work out around 90-100oz or more every day. Water cleanses the body of toxins and I've read that it can actually help balance hormones as well. I still get break outs, I have dark spots and scars and its all still very frustrating. But I do admit, it has improved over the last year and half or so. I am still waiting to see more improvements. Its all about adjustments and fine tuning a regimen that works for you. It takes time so be patient. My hormones are still slowly getting back to some type of normal allowing me to find a pattern in my breakouts, which as I said before, has been during ovulation and clear during period. I'm keeping a journal of data regarding my skin as well. I record changes in my skin every few days. This has also helped me to identify a "break out pattern" correlated to my cycle.