Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

How Do I Make Green Smoothies?

I think I want to try them. I know it sounds like a dumb question but...

Do you need a smoothie machine or can you use a regular blender?

What can I put in it to make it taste good? Blended spinach sounds gross, though I like cooked spinach a lot.

Thanks!

I have a regular blender and it works great. Also, TRUST ME, you can't taste the spinach in the smoothie. Spinach on it's own has a very mild taste, so you can't notice it at all after you throw in fruits and other stuff.

My smoothies have - spinach (a lot! you can't taste it so why not?), banana, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, mangoes, papaya, grape juice (adds a lot better flavor than water), and ice cubes if your fruit isn't already frozen. I also put in some protein powder because I never eat enough in the day.

I'd suggest going to walmart and picking up a big bag of mixed, frozen chopped up fruits. Then you can just grab a big handful and toss it in with the spinach and banana and what not.

Lemme know if you have any other questions! :)

^Yes, you can and should add spinach to half the things you cook. You won't taste it and the green makes a lot of things prettier. Throw it in after the soup, curry, pasta sauce or whatever is cooked and you've turned the heat off.

Also, there's a 50+ page thread on green smoothies full of recipes. click on the Food and Recipe thread pinned under important topics.

Edited by alternativista

I have a regular blender and it works great. Also, TRUST ME, you can't taste the spinach in the smoothie. Spinach on it's own has a very mild taste, so you can't notice it at all after you throw in fruits and other stuff.

My smoothies have - spinach (a lot! you can't taste it so why not?), banana, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, mangoes, papaya, grape juice (adds a lot better flavor than water), and ice cubes if your fruit isn't already frozen. I also put in some protein powder because I never eat enough in the day.

I'd suggest going to walmart and picking up a big bag of mixed, frozen chopped up fruits. Then you can just grab a big handful and toss it in with the spinach and banana and what not.

Lemme know if you have any other questions! smile.png

This was very helpful. thanks!

^Yes, you can and should add spinach to half the things you cook. You won't taste it and the green makes a lot of things prettier. Throw it in after the soup, curry, pasta sauce or whatever is cooked and you've turned the heat off.

Also, there's a 50+ page thread on green smoothies full of recipes. click on the Food and Recipe thread pinned under important topics.

I never even thought of adding spinach to stuff like that, but it's such a good idea!

I didn't see that thread. D'oh!

Thanks so much!

In the morning, I am drinking green smoothies. Then for lunch, salad and kefir. For dinner, chicken kefir and salad. I am keeping it like this for severeal weeks until my acne clears up.

I realized that Fruits really do cause breakouts in me. More veggies, and less fruits.

Fruits can be high glycemic which is probably why they break you out. You can use low GI fruits like apples and pears.

Oh, I'm wondering if the veggies can be frozen? I know the fruits can, but what about frozen spinach or kale etc.?

Fruits can be high glycemic which is probably why they break you out. You can use low GI fruits like apples and pears.

Oh, I'm wondering if the veggies can be frozen? I know the fruits can, but what about frozen spinach or kale etc.?

Don't freeze your spinach or kale! I accidentally did it (twice...), and although it was still edible in a smoothie it was pretty scary looking. It's definitely not meant to be frozen.

And yeah, another reason why I try to add lots of spinach is to keep the overall GL of the smoothie lower. I should probably google some low GI fruits though...eusa_think.gif

Some people even use stuff like broccoli and carrots. I haven't reached that level of healthiness yet though rolleyes.gif

In the morning, I am drinking green smoothies. Then for lunch, salad and kefir. For dinner, chicken kefir and salad. I am keeping it like this for severeal weeks until my acne clears up.

I realized that Fruits really do cause breakouts in me. More veggies, and less fruits.

Actually apples and pears are high in sugar. Blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, tomatoes, and other berries are safest to eat.

Ive been using fruits in my smoothies for the past few years but I recently stopped. I was surprised to find out that it tastes way better without any(my smoothies were kinda bleh with fruits tbh)

Atm I use:

-1/2 cup almond milk

-1/2 cup water

-2 tbsp gelled chia seeds

-3 tbsp hemp seeds

-handful of kale

-1/2 cucumber

-1 tbsp coconut flour

-1 tbsp almond butter(sometimes)

-few shakes of cinnamon

Delicious :) Might take some getting used to though

I just made another one with 1.5 cups spinach, a banana, blueberries. Still didn't taste spinach. Unexpected.

I may try it without at some point. I actually bought almond milk, but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll add it in, but I think I recall reading somewhere (on here) that almonds are pro-androgens, so I'm afraid they'll raise testosterone in me.

Are bananas ok? I liked how that tasted.

I may have to work my way up to yours. smile.png I do think cucumbers would be really good in it. I bet spinach, cucumber and coconut milk (not too much though) might taste good. And maybe I can add something else, like ginger to give it some taste.

Edited by Prettywords

Yeah, I use like two huge handfuls of spinach, and I still can't taste it!

To take off my makeup here's what I do - Take a washcloth and get it wet and wipe off as much as you can. Then I rub my facial cleanser all over my face, and while it's still on there I use the Olay Pro-X Cleansing brush thing (it's AMAZING!) I love it, and it's only 20 bucks! Then I rinse my face off to end and ta da! No makeup traces at all. :) Then I use my toner, moisturizer, and whatever else I decided will cure my acne at the moment :P

Oh my god. I meant to post that in my log, lol. I'll have to edit it.

That sounds good except I'm on the regimen so I'm not supposed to use scrubbing, especially a brush, though I have one. Thanks though.

I can't believe I can't taste the spinach at all. I was actually kinda looking forward to tasting a bit of greens, but this is probably better. ;)

Oh damn, you cook (as in heat) food?

Does anyone know why the smoothies would make me feel a bit nauseated afterwards? It's not cramping or gas, but a light feeling of nausea. Did I use too much spinach to start off?

Oh my god. I meant to post that in my log, lol. I'll have to edit it.

That sounds good except I'm on the regimen so I'm not supposed to use scrubbing, especially a brush, though I have one. Thanks though.

I can't believe I can't taste the spinach at all. I was actually kinda looking forward to tasting a bit of greens, but this is probably better. wink.png

Haha no problem :P Although, I find my face does a LOT better with mild exfoliation. The brush is gentle but it's up to you :)

Does anyone know why the smoothies would make me feel a bit nauseated afterwards? It's not cramping or gas, but a light feeling of nausea. Did I use too much spinach to start off?

Hmmm, no it's not the spinach. It could be too much sugar from the fruits? Perhaps just drink a smaller portion?

I think I'm going to forgo the brush for now, thanks.

Now that you mentioned the fruit, I looked to see if blueberries were acidic, and they are, so that could be why. In my first batch, I used a lot of them because I was afraid it would taste gross and spinach like. I bet that's why.

It's really not bad. It;s just a mild nausea anyway, but I didn't expect it at all.

Edited by Prettywords

Important question. Should I add avocado to my smoothie

And if yes how should I prepare it? Do you remove the skin

Or just the stone inside?

Important question. Should I add avocado to my smoothie

And if yes how should I prepare it? Do you remove the skin

Or just the stone inside?

I tried that before, it tasted okay at first but by the end I wanted to throw up :P Prob just need to find the right recipe for it. I peeled off the skin and removed the stone

Yeah, as far as I know the skin of an avocado isn't edible, neither is the seed on the inside. That would be a good idea to add some fat to the smoothie though eusa_think.gif I might have to try it sometime. I love avocados on tacos! haha :)

Are there any other dark green veggies (aside from spinach) that don't have such a bitter taste? I tried to make a "green" smoothie with kale and some radish greens but it turned out to be undrinkable. I don't want fruit or other forms of sugar in my smoothies, it's supposed to be purely utilitarian, but I also don't want to chuck every time I take a sip.

Are there any other dark green veggies (aside from spinach) that don't have such a bitter taste? I tried to make a "green" smoothie with kale and some radish greens but it turned out to be undrinkable. I don't want fruit or other forms of sugar in my smoothies, it's supposed to be purely utilitarian, but I also don't want to chuck every time I take a sip.

You can add tomatoes and other veggies and spices, like a blended soup. The long green smoothie thread has recipes like that.

Collard greens are a relative but less bitter than kale. And you can use romaine or other lettuces (besides the worthless iceberg). And cabbage which is nice with ginger. I like to do cabbage, a little green apple and ginger.

Brewed hibiscus tea is also good for a completely sugar free but tart, fruity taste. I think it's about the best kept secret drink on the planet.

Yeah, I've heard kale is bitter in smoothies. I got this blend of super greens at the market and it's spinach and a few other things, no kale. I haven't tried it yet, but it has tons of vitamins. If you're interested, I'll get the deets from the label.

Yeah, I've heard kale is bitter in smoothies. I got this blend of super greens at the market and it's spinach and a few other things, no kale. I haven't tried it yet, but it has tons of vitamins. If you're interested, I'll get the deets from the label.

I don't know that it's all that bitter. It's tougher than most greens. When you are cooking a soup or something and want greens that won't turn to mush, you want kale.

Edited by alternativista