Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone! I figured I'd finally post since I've been stalking everyone else's logs for a while now smile.png

Little background on myself: I'm 26/f and have been dealing with acne (and super oily skin) since high school. It was pretty bad in high school and college, and I had it all over my face. Much like a lot of you guys, I tried all the creams and washes and even went on birth control, but nothing made it go away completely. I thought I'd grow out of it at some point, but recently decided that enough is enough! Around February of this year, I started a vitamin B5/panthothenic acid regimen. I think there's a bunch of posts on these forums about that, but long story short: this vitamin, when taken in relatively large doses, will control your oil production and stop acne from forming. I did this once before, a few years back, and it controlled my oil beautifully and I literally stopped breaking out. However, taking a ton of pills every day was not convenient (plus I didn't want to have to do this for the rest of my life--once you stop taking them, the oil and acne will come back), so I stopped. I went on it again in Feb because although most of my acne was gone, I was still getting cystic acne on my chin and forehead. These suckers are persistent and wouldn't go away for weeks at a time! Not to mention they're huge! Plus my face was looking like an oil spill by around 10am every morning, and this (coupled with embarrassing cystic acne that's impossible to cover up) was just completely unacceptable in a professional work setting. Unlike the first time going on B5, I suffered an AWFUL IB this time around. i started getting awful pimples on my cheeks for the first time in years. Not only did they not go away for ages, but when they did, they left awful red marks AND scars sad.png That's when I decided enough was enough. I started calling around to local derms seeing who would prescribe accutane. Finally found one and made an appointment. The derm initially tried to get me to go on a 10% BP wash and some topicals, but I just glared at him and said, "ACCUTANE!" It worked! After the excruciating wait (seriously, ladies? 30+ days of waiting? WTF??), I'm off to pick up my first prescription in a few minutes. I'm starting off at 20mg and then he said he'll bump me up to 30 next month and then whichever amount that cooresponds with my weight (likely around 60mg, I'm 5'7" and around 120lbs).

My products: I'm a product junkie! After reading a ton of posts on here, I can't wait to try out all the suggested items for my "accutane survival kit." Here are some products that I LOVE:

- for lips: BAG BALM!!!! For those who have never heard of it, google it! I've never seen or heard of it in my life but found it at my local pharmacy after reading rave reviews somewhere else. I know tons of you love aquaphor--I havent tried the original aquaphor on my lips, but I purchased the aquaphor lip repair balm a few weeks ago. It was just ok for me, whereas bag balm is the FIRST balm I've ever used (trust me I've used a LOT of lip ointments/chapsticks/balms/etc.) where I could put it on the night before, and my lips would still be soft after 8+ hours of sleep. Love it so far, and will update everyone on how it goes once I start accutane.

- for face: emu oil and camellia oil. I love them both. Super hydrating and the camellia oil is really good at fading red marks and also improving indented scars. brownbag's log recommended something called cure aqua gel, and I went ahead and purchased it... and holy crap! For anyone who's looking to get rid of dry skin and flakies on your face without scrubbing the hell out of it, buy this!! It's basically a super gentle/soothing gel that you put on your face. After waiting a little while, rub at it in circular motions and the dead skin should clump up and rinse off easily along with the gel. No irritation, no hard rubbing, etc. It's fairly expensive (around $35) but I see it lasting for months and believe it's totally worth it. I'm in love with it already, and plan on using it several times a week during my accutane journey. Oh, and I also purchased an SPF 30 face lotion that lightens dark spots smile.png

- for body: cerave as of right now.

- for hair: going to buy some dry scalp anti-itch shampoo in a few minutes!

Sorry guys for the HUGE post! I'd be pretty impressed if anyone reads through this entire thing, haha smile.png I'm off to pick up my prescription... will update later!

Guest *Spiro*

Hello! Welcome to the accutane boards smile.png

Prepared to be impressed because I did read the whole thing. Do let us know hoe the bag balm works. I see lots of people on this forum mention the bag balm. I read you have to get it at a animal feed store though, because it is intended to protect cow utters from chapping. I am willing to try it though. If it means getting rid of chapped lips on accutane I will try just about anything!

Best of Luck!!

Betsy

By the way I am also 26/f so I feel your pain with the adult acne. Its BS

Edited by BeautifulDisasters

Congrats for starting Accutane! You will be happy with the results :) Remember, it may get worse before it gets better, and it may keep getting worse for a while, BUT it will get better, and just be strong :) We're all here for you!

Just wanted to say good luck! I'm sure your skin will be clear before you know it! smile.png

I actually have my second pregnancy test this Saturday, then I will see my dermatologist on Monday to get my prescription. So, our starting times will only be a week apart. I'll definitely be following your log!

Thanks everyone! Betsy and Taylor, I've been reading up on your logs for a while now... glad to be in the same boat!!

As for bag balm, I randomly found it at Walgreens (pharmacy) in the eucerin/aquaphor aisle. It's only around $10 for a huge 10oz tin though... should probably last me until 2020 at this rate. I DO find it really strange that its original use is for cow udders though! But I guess it's like that Mane & Tail shampoo that was originally used for horses. Whatever, it works great so I won't question it! :)

Here's to hoping to no IB! I already got such a bad one in Feb due to the B5... maybe that pushed everything out already. Plus, my initial dosage is pretty low. We'll see!

AnalogHeart- good luck to you as well! Do you know how much you're starting off with? Hope you keep us updated with your progress as well! :)

Here's to hoping to no IB! I already got such a bad one in Feb due to the B5... maybe that pushed everything out already. Plus, my initial dosage is pretty low. We'll see!

AnalogHeart- good luck to you as well! Do you know how much you're starting off with? Hope you keep us updated with your progress as well! smile.png

Hopefully you won't have an IB! I was actually wondering the same thing about another medication purging the skin beforehand, thus decreasing the IB from Accutane. I'm taking doxycycline right now, so I guess I'll see if that makes things any easier.

And thank you! I'm not sure how much I'm starting off with. I have mild/moderate acne and my derm mentioned a low dose, but I want to make sure I meet a cumulative dosage for my weight. I'll definitely be starting a log when I get my prescription next week! I'm excited!

AnalogHeart- good luck to you as well! Do you know how much you're starting off with? Hope you keep us updated with your progress as well! smile.png

Hopefully you won't have an IB! I was actually wondering the same thing about another medication purging the skin beforehand, thus decreasing the IB from Accutane. I'm taking doxycycline right now, so I guess I'll see if that makes things any easier.

And thank you! I'm not sure how much I'm starting off with. I have mild/moderate acne and my derm mentioned a low dose, but I want to make sure I meet a cumulative dosage for my weight. I'll definitely be starting a log when I get my prescription next week! I'm excited!

I'm going to go with the totally uneducated guess that we will have a minimal IB :) If everything's already purged and nothing major has happened in a while, what the hell else could come up?

Did you get any supplies/lip balms/supplements in advance in preparation of starting?

Day 1

No side effects, yay haha :) However, I DID rip the pills out of the huge ridiculous packaging... could they possibly use up any more cardboard and paper for thirty pills?? I brought my prescription home in a paper bag and my mom seriously thought it was a large sandwich or something.

I'm going to go with the totally uneducated guess that we will have a minimal IB smile.png If everything's already purged and nothing major has happened in a while, what the hell else could come up?

Did you get any supplies/lip balms/supplements in advance in preparation of starting?

I hope so! Hopefully Accutane won't find too much to purge. eusa_pray.gif

I haven't gotten anything yet, but I do have a list of things I'm going to pick up today. Aquaphor, CeraVe cream... Stuff like that. I want to try the CeraVe cream now so I can see how my skin reacts to it. I tried one of the CeraVe moisturizers before, but it made me break out. I'm hoping the cream will be different because I hear it's great!

Day 1

No side effects, yay haha smile.png However, I DID rip the pills out of the huge ridiculous packaging... could they possibly use up any more cardboard and paper for thirty pills?? I brought my prescription home in a paper bag and my mom seriously thought it was a large sandwich or something.

A sandwich? LOL!

Edited by AnalogHeart

Good luck with Accutane!

It's a crazy journey, but we're all here for support & advice. :)

heyy! goodluck with tane! The roller coaster ride to clear skin!

Im only 6 days ahead of ya! were in the same boat together! Also i still have to hit the IB yet..

Good luck with Accutane!

It's a crazy journey, but we're all here for support & advice. smile.png

heyy! goodluck with tane! The roller coaster ride to clear skin!

Im only 6 days ahead of ya! were in the same boat together! Also i still have to hit the IB yet..

Thank you ladies! Kaydon, I've been reading up on your log as well! I really hope your course clears you up for good this time around :) MaeJae, good luck to you too! Checked out your log--your skin already looks great, accutane will make it perfect!

Day 2

Nothing mind blowing to report. Woke up this morning and my scalp was a bit itchy... probably just me psyching myself out!

Thought I'd list the supplements I'm taking... I'm huge on supplements and believe they make a big difference in overall health:

- multi-vite (has a bit of vitamin A in it, but not a whole lot... derm didn't have any issues and didn't tell me to stop taking)

- fish oil

- evening primrose oil

- milk thistle (helps with liver health)

- omega-7

Anyone else taking any supplements?

I am taking fish oil to help my joints, they seem to be becoming sensitive, I'm 3 weeks into my course and my skin is just starting to flake, but flake a tonnn, I guess that's good right :) I heard that omega-7 is very good for you, I probably should check it out. I had a question, for your face: does the oils break you out at all? I'm looking for a moisturizer now that my skin is starting to flake, but scared :P.

I am taking fish oil to help my joints, they seem to be becoming sensitive, I'm 3 weeks into my course and my skin is just starting to flake, but flake a tonnn, I guess that's good right smile.png I heard that omega-7 is very good for you, I probably should check it out. I had a question, for your face: does the oils break you out at all? I'm looking for a moisturizer now that my skin is starting to flake, but scared tongue.png.

Hey Taylor! For flakies, I really think you should look into cure aqua gel: http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Natural-Aqua-Gel-250ml/dp/B001ABLKK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336595453&sr=8-1 I get mine on amazon here... super gentle (but AMAZING) exfoliator... I even use it on my lips and it gets rid of all the dry skin asap and then I apply my lip balm. It's one of the few products that has a near-perfect rating on every single make-up review site I've visited.

As for the oils, I've never broken out with emu oil. It soothes inflammation and I would put it on my cystic acne pimples and it would actually improve! With camellia oil, I did get an initial breakout (one pimple), which made me stay away from it for a while. But it was just my skin getting used to it, and I believe it was pushing impurities to the surface. I gave it a second chance, and after another initial breakout (again, just one pimple), I waited 2-3 days and continued using. My skin hasn't broken out from it since, and it's been really great at healing red spots and making my skin hydrated and soft. I only use the oils at night, though. Honestly, it can't hurt to try them out. They're not super expensive, and if they do irritate your face in some way, you can always use the rest on your body. For example, emu oil is great for massaging into sore joints and also to help sooth and heal sunburns. Hope this helps!

Day 3

No earth-shattering results to update you with! Had a pimple start to come up on my cheek yesterday, but put some tea tree oil on it and it's already probably 50% gone. Sensed some slight dryness with the contact lenses, but I usually tend to dry up a bit at night or right after a shower anyway, so it's not necessarily accutane related. Have been getting pretty tired lately, though.

I love that we're (almost) on the same day- I haven't really had anything happen yet either (except for the oil thing which sucks) but it's nice to have someone on the same track to remind me that anything I might be feeling at this point is probably just in my imagination.

Omigosh I tried B5 Panthothenic Acid for my face too! And SUCH a pain. I completely get what you're saying. How many did you have to take? I took 20 a day (5 pills, 4 times a day). I think It might have been working but I honestly just couldn't keep up with it everyday. I would forget, or not have my pills with me and yadda yadda. Plus that would suck for it to come back when you're done, because I know I couldn't keep that up everyday of my life, for who knows how long. But who knows if it was even gonna work for me.

But anyways, best of luck with your course!! I'm on 1 month today and so far it has been so easy for me. I'm very cautious with the sun, moisturizing, taking vitamins and all that too so I'm sure that helps. So try to do the same and I'm sure it'll help you too! :) I hope you don't have an awful IB either!

I'm following your course and wish you all the best with it :)

I've been looking in to Emu Oil as a moisturiser and as something to help with red marks. My skin is really dry at the moment. Can you mix a couple drops in with your normal moisturiser?

I have used Bio Oil in the past and mixed a couple of drops with my moisturiser, but it got mixed reviews. Emu Oil has quite good reviews so I'd like to give it a try.

Good luck with your Accutane course! As a fellow 20-something, I know how having acne long term can be a cause of frustration. But as you continue taking the journey, just remember how beautiful and fabulous you are with or without clear skin! Good luck and I'll be checking in to see your progress from time to time. You have a whole community behind you! =)

I love that we're (almost) on the same day- I haven't really had anything happen yet either (except for the oil thing which sucks) but it's nice to have someone on the same track to remind me that anything I might be feeling at this point is probably just in my imagination.

Agreed! My face was a total oil slick last night... definitely a lot more oily than it would normally be. Ah well, could be worse!

Omigosh I tried B5 Panthothenic Acid for my face too! And SUCH a pain. I completely get what you're saying. How many did you have to take? I took 20 a day (5 pills, 4 times a day). I think It might have been working but I honestly just couldn't keep up with it everyday. I would forget, or not have my pills with me and yadda yadda. Plus that would suck for it to come back when you're done, because I know I couldn't keep that up everyday of my life, for who knows how long. But who knows if it was even gonna work for me.

But anyways, best of luck with your course!! I'm on 1 month today and so far it has been so easy for me. I'm very cautious with the sun, moisturizing, taking vitamins and all that too so I'm sure that helps. So try to do the same and I'm sure it'll help you too! smile.png I hope you don't have an awful IB either!

The first time I took it, I was taking like 8-10 pills a day. A complete hassle, and can you imagine bringing 23498023984 pills with you if you were going on vacation?

And who knows what kind of long-term effects it'd take on your body... definitely not worth doing for a long period of time!

I'm gad to hear you're doing well on your course! I've done a lot of research before starting and have a ton of products as well as supplements lined up, so I hope the next six months are just a minor inconvenience as opposed to a traumatic, painful experience.

I'm following your course and wish you all the best with it smile.png

I've been looking in to Emu Oil as a moisturiser and as something to help with red marks. My skin is really dry at the moment. Can you mix a couple drops in with your normal moisturiser?

I have used Bio Oil in the past and mixed a couple of drops with my moisturiser, but it got mixed reviews. Emu Oil has quite good reviews so I'd like to give it a try.

We can give each other support during this next few months :) And yes, you can mix it with your normal face lotion. One of emu oil's properties is that it can penetrate deeper than your first few layers of skin. Lots of people use it along with other serums and lotions with the idea that the emu oil can bring all the benefits (vitamins, etc) from the lotion into the deeper layers and your skin absorbs them better. I use it only at night, because it's a little heavy and greasy for me during the day, but you can certainly experiment! Let me know if you want a recommendation on what kind to buy :)

Good luck with your Accutane course! As a fellow 20-something, I know how having acne long term can be a cause of frustration. But as you continue taking the journey, just remember how beautiful and fabulous you are with or without clear skin! Good luck and I'll be checking in to see your progress from time to time. You have a whole community behind you! =)

Thanks Kairasa for the kind words! This really is a great place to get tons of support from all sorts of people who are going through the exact same thing as you :)

Day 4

Noticed last night that a couple of patches of skin on my body were itchy. Scalp also slightly itchy, though nothing was too bad. Contacts were sticking to my eyes a bit when I took them out. Face greasier than normal, but again, nothing too bad.

Making sure to stay super hydrated (though I drink a ton of water normally anyway) and taking my pills daily with a "fatty" meal.

So far, so good :D

Just a question - Do you take both pills at the same time? I was wondering if this would work better. I take mine in the morning with my coffee and nothing else, and the next one I take with my dinner, my "fatty" meal of the day. I'm just desperate for ways to make this work better! :)

Just a question - Do you take both pills at the same time? I was wondering if this would work better. I take mine in the morning with my coffee and nothing else, and the next one I take with my dinner, my "fatty" meal of the day. I'm just desperate for ways to make this work better! smile.png

I'm only taking one pill daily now, but I plan on taking all my pills at the same time once my dosage is increased, out of convenience. Ultimately, I don't think it matters whether you take them separately or not, but I've read a lot that says taking it with a fatty meal makes it absorb better. You could try to take them both with dinner and see if you get any better results that way idea.gif

Okay, thanks! I took them both at the same last time, and my acne improved faster. I might start taking them at the same time now to see if that makes a difference!

Making sure to stay super hydrated (though I drink a ton of water normally anyway) and taking my pills daily with a "fatty" meal.

So far, so good biggrin.png

They dont have the thumbs up smiley so these guys seemed the next best fitting. lol

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

If I ever start feeling super dry.. I found hitting the grocery store, buying a 6 pound watermelon, cutting

it in half like a bowl and eating 1 half 1 day and 1 half the other, usually does the trick for me.

Edited by Zraden