Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jennmi

Overwhelmed By Choices

I'm 40 years old and have been battling acne for probably almost 30 years!!! Sadly my 9 year old daughter is now starting to develop a few pimples. I'm thinking of trying the natural route since nothing else seems to work but I'm a little overwhelmed by the many options.

Some of the things I've read about are:

- apple cider vinegar

- baking soda

- lemon juice

- honey

- egg yolk mask

- zinc supplements

But I can't figure out which ones I should be using and when. What is/are the best choice(s) for me? What is a good routine (including soap, natural cleanser/mask, moisturizer, make-up, etc.)? How long should I expect to see results? Thanks in advance for your help!

First, Eat right. I had acne for 30 years, too. until I changed my diet.

No soap or cleanser is a good routine. Don't strip away the protective oils from your skin. But if you insist, you can use the baking soda as a scrub, then follow with very diluted ACV to restore the acidity of your skin..

See the Good Things link in my signature for more information.

Mix apple cider vinegar 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water and drink it twice a day, also eat carrots! Both will clean your digestive system and liver which will lead to less pimples.

Thanks for your replies.

No soap or cleanser is a good routine. Don't strip away the protective oils from your skin. But if you insist, you can use the baking soda as a scrub, then follow with very diluted ACV to restore the acidity of your skin..

I've been reading about all the different foods I'll need to cut out - it feels a little overwhelming. I have 2 daughters (9 & 2) and I'm worried about what will be left for us to eat! Also, I use makeup so don't I need to use soap or cleanser? I can give the baking soda a try.

Mix apple cider vinegar 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water and drink it twice a day, also eat carrots! Both will clean your digestive system and liver which will lead to less pimples.

I'll give the ACV & water a try. I hadn't heard about carrots - both my girls love carrots I'll have to start eating them too. :)

Thanks for your replies.

I've been reading about all the different foods I'll need to cut out - it feels a little overwhelming. I have 2 daughters (9 & 2) and I'm worried about what will be left for us to eat! Also, I use makeup so don't I need to use soap or cleanser? I can give the baking soda a try.

You can oil cleanse to remove makeup. If you use baking soda, you need to restore the PH of your skin with something like dilluted ACV.

Which foods? You don't necessarily cut them out all at once. You do it methodically. Some everyone should limit in their diet such as gluten grains and refined grains and other empty and nearly empty carbs like potatoes, sugary drinks, processed foods full of chemicals, trans fats etc. Everyone. That doesn't just apply to acne prone people.

Although, it can be easier for some to pick a few hypoallergenic foods to stick to for a while, then methodically add foods back in. Especially if you are overwhelmed. More info on elimination diets and hypo-allergenic foods here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne-condensed-han-t230714.html&view=findpost&p=2574130

Do you have any noticeable digestion issues? Lots of allergies? Other symptoms like fatigue, headache, other pain, asthma, get sick often? If so, I'd be extra hardcore in my elimination diet such as avoiding all seeds, not just gluten grains. People who are very intolerant and have suffered damage to their digestive tract causing the other problems often won't notice any difference from just avoiding gluten. They might need to avoid all seeds and products from grain fed animals.

You can oil cleanse to remove makeup. If you use baking soda, you need to restore the PH of your skin with something like dilluted ACV.

Thanks I'll try that!

Which foods? dairy, gluten, nuts, eggs, soy, & corn

You don't necessarily cut them out all at once. You do it methodically. Some everyone should limit in their diet such as gluten grains and refined grains and other empty and nearly empty carbs like potatoes, sugary drinks, processed foods full of chemicals, trans fats etc. Everyone. That doesn't just apply to acne prone people. I feel like the hardest will be dairy and gluten. It seems like EVERYTHING has gluten! This is roughly what a normal day looks like for me:

- Breakfast - cereal & milk or oatmeal and juice

- Lunch - Sandwich with turkey or chicken & cheese, grapes (or other fruit) and yogurt

- Dinner - varies (tacos, pasta, meatloaf, chicken - normal American-type meals), always try to include veggies &/or fruits

Although, it can be easier for some to pick a few hypoallergenic foods to stick to for a while, then methodically add foods back in. Especially if you are overwhelmed. More info on elimination diets and hypo-allergenic foods here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne-condensed-han-t230714.html&view=findpost&p=2574130 Thanks for this link - hopefully it will help me figure out what I CAN eat and what I can make for my family.

Do you have any noticeable digestion issues? No. Lots of allergies? No. Other symptoms like fatigue, headache, other pain, asthma, get sick often? No. If so, I'd be extra hardcore in my elimination diet such as avoiding all seeds, not just gluten grains. People who are very intolerant and have suffered damage to their digestive tract causing the other problems often won't notice any difference from just avoiding gluten. They might need to avoid all seeds and products from grain fed animals.

I got a couple gluten-free books from the library last week that I haven't had a chance to look at. I'm hoping they'll help me figure out a menu for the next month for our family so we can give gluten-free a try.

Thanks again for your response!

So you fill up on grains at every meal? Stop that and eat food with nutrients.

Everything does not have gluten. Processed foods and grains have gluten. There's no gluten in berries, avocados, broccoli, cabbage, kale, garlic, fish, chicken, lamb, sweet potatoes, etc. Stay out of the part of the supermarket where everything comes in boxes and bags by Nabisco and General Mills.

If you don't have a lot of health problems, then I would avoid things methodically one by one or in groups of related foods. I would not avoid nuts and eggs at the same time as avoiding gluten, for example. (although you should always limit gluten regardless of intolerance. It isn't good for anyone.) Also, many things we call nuts are not nuts and not related so you need to try to avoid unrelated things separately to truly determine a food intolerance. Almonds for example, are related to stone fruit and some people are intolerant to all members--cherries, peaches, plums, etc. Peanuts are also not nuts and may be as problematic as gluten, causing the same damage to the digestive tract.

And you didn't mention sugar and high glycemic processed foods (like the cereal). You want to avoid all high glycemic impacting meals, drinks and snacks. That is absolutely basic to acne, hormones and everything to do with health.

And there are plenty of recipes here in the threads you'll find in the Food and Recipe thread pinned under important topics.

You might also want to visit my thread on examples of how bad our diets have become. There's quite a lot on how it has impacted children. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/311810-examples-of-just-how-incredibly-bad-the-average-diet-is-these-days/

Edited by alternativista

How about rice then? Is that ok?

1) that's individual. Some people should avoid all grains and rice does contain some antinutrients that cause the same harm that gluten does. And American grown rice tends to be high in arsenic.

2) it depends on how you eat it. Are you filling up on it rather than food with nutrients? Are you eating it in combination with fat, fiber and protein to lower the glycemic impact?

I am a licensed esthetician who uses the following products on clients with acne and who need to normalize their skin's oil production:

1) A natural cleanser that does not dry out the skin --> Organic Soap

2) A gentle exfoliant that will get rid of dead skin which interacts with oily bacteria to create pimples and blackheads --> Face and Body Scrub

3) A bentonite clay mask which will absorb excess oil and bacteria buildup --> Bentonite Clay Mask

4) A very light facial moisturizer which replenishes moisture and does not generate oil --> Facial Moisturizer

Each of these products have calcium bentonite clay as an ingredient which helps to control oil production throughout the day and night.

Wash your face twice a day with the organic soap suitable for face and body. After the first wash, wash again. It is extremely gentle on the skin. Two to three times a week use the facial scrub after washing your face. Apply gently to the face and skin and the product will do the rest. Adjust the scrub usage as needed. One to two times a week apply a light coat of the clay mask and leave on for 10 - 20 minutes. Apply more or less as needed. The clay mask is great for wrinkles, too! This will leave your skin tight and fresh. If you notice signs of drying, adjust down accordingly. Always follow this daily and weekly regime with the light moisturizer. This will relieve the tightness from the mask and add moisture after cleansing and scrubbing.

Edited by Debra Lineberger

^I haven't used soap or any other cleanser other than oil cleansing when I need to remove makeup for 2-3 years. I don't remember anymore. And it still amazes me how much better and softer my skin is.

You've already made the biggest choice of all - a will to change!

Just take it easy, look at each option one by one. Think about how your body will react when you introduce ten different kinds of food / extracts it's never processed before.

My advice is simple: what you DON'T consume is more important than what you do consume. There's something that's causing your body to be in an unnatural state, and you'll find it. Food is fuel, after all. I could give you an easier answer but i'm starting to realise putting people on the right path is more important.

Thanks again alternativista! I guess I am filling up on grains at every meal! I hadn't thought about it before but I'm trying to change that. I've also decided to take dairy out of my diet and see what happens. In addition, I'm focusing on making sure I am eating more fruits & veggies. You mentioned avoiding high glycemic index foods - I just read about that yesterday. I'm wondering how you figure out which foods are high glycemic foods? I don't remember seeing that listed on nutrition labels. Is there a formula? Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement Uncle Buck!