Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lilly75

Glycolic Peels To Treat Acne?

Was wondering if anyone has used glycolic peels before to treat acne and what your experiences with them were? Did you find them helpful to clear acne and fade pigmentation scars? Or did they just irritate and make acne worse?

Also - does anyone know if you need to stop using / have a break from BP for before having one done? or are you able to use bp right up to and after the peel?

I just wanted to find out more about gylcolic peels before deciding to go for one myself.

From my experience glycolic peels aggravated my skin a lot and it was too much for it in combination with bp and other treatments.

BP thins your skin as do most topical acne creams so thinning your skin even more with a peel can be VERY irritating and acne does not like irritation!

A low strength glycolic or salicylic cream to just remove the very top layer of skin is the most I would personally do with active cystic acne. Using a high strength peel on active acne can actually lead to scarring that is difficult to fix.

Glycolic peels are great at dealing with scarring once you have dealt with all active acne but until then I would not recommend it for severe acne. If on the other hand you only get a few surface pimples every now and then it might be fine... not sure.

Thanks for that!

My acne is moderate - leaning towards severe I would say - as I do get cystic acne often. luckily I have no cystic acne at the moment but still experiencing a really bad breakout.

Yeah I was thinking you would have to stop BP or at least stop using it for a few weeks before a glycolic because of BPs thinning effect on the skin.

I might leave it a while then - until I can clear my acne (more or fully - and I'm hoping for fully) and then may use glycolic for scarring.

Thanks again for the reply :)