Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
B552299G

Accutane... Got Some Questions And Need Tips

Hey guys,

Quick history... I'm a 21 year old male and have acne since i was about 15. I treated it with Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin until I was 20 and began to develope cysts on my chin. The rest of my face was clear with topicals. My back has always been moderate to severe as well. I was put on Mino and Retin-A and this cleared it up pretty good. I've noticed it losing its affectiveness, especially on my back so decided to start accutane after talking with my derm a few months back. I have a consultation with my derm about accutane in 2 days.

So.... what questions should I ask him?

Some questions I have for yall is:

-What should I expect the first few weeks? Im pretty much clear from the antibiotic on my face right now so should I expect an IB? Also, I have been on a topical retinoid for over a year as well so will this reduce my IB?

-What is the consenus on drinking on accutane? I've read both sides of the story. I also know personally people who drank heavily their whole course and were fine. I drink heavily (like 10 drinks a night) on minocycline 3-4 days a week in college and saw no problems. I am in a social fraternity at a large state school so I want to be away from that for obvious reasons when I start my course. This is why I wanted to do the majority of my dosage over my summer vacation from college. But can I still drink lightly?

-Also, what are some general tips and products I should purchase to prepare for my course. I already use Aquaphor for my lips and DML Lotion for my face. Any other product recomendations?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

The first few weeks you might feel a "heavy" stomach. Not really a pain, but a weird feeling. When you wake up feel tired and mild headaches. Your skin will start to clear up rather quick. Pores will shrink and skin wil feel smooth. Ow yes, and your lips will dry out.

Drinking while on accutane might get you drunk quicker (thats my experience). Altough that might be the only noticable thing, I believe it cant be good, so be carefull...

The two real essentials you need are something for your lips and a moisturizer. Head&Shoulders might be helpfull if your scalp gets flaky.

I am on my 3rd month. You will most likely get the initial breakout. Mine was terrible, still is! I felt tired, and my joints were sore. I had a lot of back pain. EVERYTHING will get soooo dry! Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Use lotion constantly and try to avoid going outside without sunblock. You can't use enough chapstick. Your lips will be the most annoying thing during the medication. I use Cetaphil Gentle Face Wash and it works really well. Accutane already weakens your liver, so you would definitely cut back on the alcohol. I would say like 3 drinks max a week. Accutane is amazing though! A lot of my friends have taken it and they had HORRIBLE skin. After their treatment, the had skin like models from a magazine, flawless. I hope you get accutane it will change your life! :)

Guest *Spiro*

I am on my 3rd month. You will most likely get the initial breakout. Mine was terrible, still is! I felt tired, and my joints were sore. I had a lot of back pain. EVERYTHING will get soooo dry! Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Use lotion constantly and try to avoid going outside without sunblock. You can't use enough chapstick. Your lips will be the most annoying thing during the medication. I use Cetaphil Gentle Face Wash and it works really well. Accutane already weakens your liver, so you would definitely cut back on the alcohol. I would say like 3 drinks max a week. Accutane is amazing though! A lot of my friends have taken it and they had HORRIBLE skin. After their treatment, the had skin like models from a magazine, flawless. I hope you get accutane it will change your life! :)

Good to know someone else out there still has a IB. I start my 3rd month on Friday and I am still breaking out like no ones business. I am starting to get really discouraged. Sorry to hear your still having a IB but it's nice to know not everyone magically clears up after month 1. Best of luck,

Please do not drink on Accutane. Accutane has systemic effects (meaning it affects almost all body tissues since all tissues have vitamin A receptors) and your liver is working overtime to deal with that. Not only is your liver in charge of transforming dietary fats into blood cholesterol, storing iron, and vitamin A, it has to detoxify drugs. That's why they check your blood fats and liver enzymes while taking this drug, because even without other drugs (alcohol), there can be stress on your liver. Drinking would increase the stress on your liver, and no one wants scar tissue in their liver which could cause long-term damage. Doesn't it make more sense to make a few social sacrifices to protect your long-term health?

If you want to have one or two drinks a week, that could probably be okay, but I would try to eat lots of vegetables and fruit the next day, especially broccoli, kale, or apples, whatever you can get your hands on. These foods aid in liver support/cleansing.

Not trying to scare you...I have a M.S. in Nutrition and we studied the liver, Accutane and Vitamin A supplements in school...I'm also starting Accutane next week, so I geek out reading about stuff like this. :)

Thanks for your input everyone. Yeah, from what I've read accutane and alcohol from a scientific perspective should never be mixed. I may have a drink casually at like a wedding or a friend's party, but I'm certainly not gonna drink just for the hell of it with friends while on it. I'm gonna talk to my derm about it. He's very open about it and will give me an honest answer from his porfessional experience. He said I could drink on the antibiotic as long as it didn't make me sick even though your not supposed to. I'm intersted to hear what he has to say about accutane....

I'll keep yall updated!!

Guest *Spiro*

Thanks for your input everyone. Yeah, from what I've read accutane and alcohol from a scientific perspective should never be mixed. I may have a drink casually at like a wedding or a friend's party, but I'm certainly not gonna drink just for the hell of it with friends while on it. I'm gonna talk to my derm about it. He's very open about it and will give me an honest answer from his porfessional experience. He said I could drink on the antibiotic as long as it didn't make me sick even though your not supposed to. I'm intersted to hear what he has to say about accutane....

I'll keep yall updated!!

I talked to my dermatologist about drinking while on Accuane and she said drinking in moderation was okay. As long as I wasn't doing it on a regular basis. I have had a few drinks twice, and I was fine and blood tests came back good. I mean when I say a couple I mean a margarita when I was on vacation because there was a pool and palm trees so it made sense lol. Also I had a couple mimosas on Easter. I haven't actually sat down with my friends and had a night out on the town or anything. I think if you keep the intake to a low you will be okay.

So I finshed my consultation and he put me on 50 mg a day for the first month and said we'd go from there depending on side affects. I weigh about 145 lbs right now because I just had the flu so im down about 10 pounds from before. I lose a lot of weight when I get sick which sucks. This seems to be a pretty standard starting dose for my weight. He also said he advises not drinking but it wouldn't kill me to have a drink every once in a while which is what I plan on (although he first month I won't drink at all as my body adjusts). He also said any other side affects other than dry lips, nosebleeds, dryness, and mild head/stomach aches were extremely rare. He also said hes never seen anyone with any kind of serious side affects in his entire career. What he did say is that there is varying opinions on its affect on crohn's and IBD. He said hes never seen it and disagress, but he has talked to other derms that think differently. I'm not too worried about it.

My major concern is he has me only on one dose of my full dose per day as opposed to half my dose every 12 hours like I've mostly seen. Anyone else ever done this? This has me worried becasue I've never heard of this.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Quick history... I'm a 21 year old male and have acne since i was about 15. I treated it with Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin until I was 20 and began to develope cysts on my chin. The rest of my face was clear with topicals. My back has always been moderate to severe as well. I was put on Mino and Retin-A and this cleared it up pretty good. I've noticed it losing its affectiveness, especially on my back so decided to start accutane after talking with my derm a few months back. I have a consultation with my derm about accutane in 2 days.

So.... what questions should I ask him?

Some questions I have for yall is:

-What should I expect the first few weeks? Im pretty much clear from the antibiotic on my face right now so should I expect an IB? Also, I have been on a topical retinoid for over a year as well so will this reduce my IB?

A lot of people experience an intial breakout (IB). Antibiotics don't promise you won't have an IB. I'm a little confused why you're getting put on Accutane when antibiotics are doing a fine job of maintaining your acne. I was on a topical retinoid before Accutane and didn't have an IB so maybe.

-What is the consenus on drinking on accutane? I've read both sides of the story. I also know personally people who drank heavily their whole course and were fine. I drink heavily (like 10 drinks a night) on minocycline 3-4 days a week in college and saw no problems. I am in a social fraternity at a large state school so I want to be away from that for obvious reasons when I start my course. This is why I wanted to do the majority of my dosage over my summer vacation from college. But can I still drink lightly?

Accutane is harsh on your liver. Drinking while on Accutane is even worse. I'm no saint, I drink here and there while on Accutane but I'm a lot more conservative about it. I rarely drink, if at all.

-Also, what are some general tips and products I should purchase to prepare for my course. I already use Aquaphor for my lips and DML Lotion for my face. Any other product recomendations?

Moisturize. Cetaphil seems popular on here but I am a big fan of CeraVe. Their moisturizing CREAM (they have a moisturizing lotion too but it is a bit too thin for the dryness from Accutane) is awesome to me because it is thick and not greasy. Aquaphor is awesome stuff.

The only products I use is my moisturizer, sunscreen, some type of lip balm, and neosporin (I use it when the edges of my lips crack and hurt).

Other people might recommend taking vitamin E, whatever supplements for joint pain, and whatever else. I haven't tried any of them. I prefer a diet that is rich in all these things rather than take supplements.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I can't think of any other input. Just moisturize well, wash your face (been seeing a lot of people here who don't bother with that and then are baffled why their acne comes back despite allowing themselves to learn bad facial hygiene), don't pick at your skin, and don't go too nuts at those college parties.

Thanks!!

So I finshed my consultation and he put me on 50 mg a day for the first month and said we'd go from there depending on side affects. I weigh about 145 lbs right now because I just had the flu so im down about 10 pounds from before. I lose a lot of weight when I get sick which sucks. This seems to be a pretty standard starting dose for my weight. He also said he advises not drinking but it wouldn't kill me to have a drink every once in a while which is what I plan on (although he first month I won't drink at all as my body adjusts). He also said any other side affects other than dry lips, nosebleeds, dryness, and mild head/stomach aches were extremely rare. He also said hes never seen anyone with any kind of serious side affects in his entire career. What he did say is that there is varying opinions on its affect on crohn's and IBD. He said hes never seen it and disagress, but he has talked to other derms that think differently. I'm not too worried about it.

My major concern is he has me only on one dose of my full dose per day as opposed to half my dose every 12 hours like I've mostly seen. Anyone else ever done this? This has me worried becasue I've never heard of this.

Thanks!

This honestly doesn't matter. It accumulates the same. Some people think it is better to separate but it really doesn't matter.

Guest *Spiro*

I agree with Alexis little, doesn't matter when you take it or how it's split up.

Thanks for all your help guys! Lots of good insight from yall makes me feel much better about starting my course this saturday. I'm gonna start a log on Saturday to track my progress and share my experience.

Also, I'm definately gonna look into the Cerave cream to use at night to combat the dryness. I have combination skin so I think the cream will help my drier areas. And that makes me feel better that not splitting the dose is not a big deal. Thanks for all the tips! I'm very knowledgable about every other acne medication and skin products (seeing as I've used many of them), but I'm not an expert on accutane other than the basics. You guys have been so helpful!

Another fun fact I wanted to share was that my dermatologist told me they are getting information coming into their practice saying that Cetaphil moisturizer contains oils that can cause/excacerbate acne which I found interesting. He has always been a big fan of all the Cetaphil products, but he said he is no longer advising using their moisturizer. I know a lot of people swear by it but interesting none the less...

Edited by B552299G

Guest *Spiro*

Thanks for all your help guys! Lots of good insight from yall makes me feel much better about starting my course this saturday. I'm gonna start a log on Saturday to track my progress and share my experience.

Also, I'm definately gonna look into the Cerave cream to use at night to combat the dryness. I have combination skin so I think the cream will help my drier areas. And that makes me feel better that not splitting the dose is not a big deal. Thanks for all the tips! I'm very knowledgable about every other acne medication and skin products (seeing as I've used many of them), but I'm not an expert on accutane other than the basics. You guys have been so helpful!

Another fun fact I wanted to share was that my dermatologist told me they are getting information coming into their practice saying that Cetaphil moisturizer contains oils that can cause/excacerbate acne which I found interesting. He has always been a big fan of all the Cetaphil products, but he said he is no longer advising using their moisturizer. I know a lot of people swear by it but interesting none the less...

Hmmm that is interesting.. I broke out bad when I used it. Very oily and greasy. Glad I use CeraVe.

Updating y'all on my status. I got an oppurtunity to take a free vacation with some friends from college so I decided to not start my course until Monday the 21st. Didn't wana start my course bein so far from home, and this will most likely be an alcohol filled extravaganza so I figured I'd put my start date off a week to be safe. I got my prescription filled so I'm all ready to go for next week. I'm gonna start a new thread in the accutane logs next week to keep track of my status and hopefully help out some people with my experience.

Thanks everyone!!