Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lilly75

Can Anyone Recommend An Exfoliator?

I haven't been able to find an exfoliating product that doesn't break me out - Even ones that say 'micro-beads' so they're meant to be more gentle and not abrasive like St Ives ones with apricot seed pieces (which I really don't like).

A while ago I was using a neutrogena exfoliater. I think it was called 'acne stress control power scrub' - with microbeads and salicylic acid. I was SO annoyed this didn't work for me because it felt so nice while on my skin and I loved the smell - but the next morning I would be broken out and it was definitely from this product.

I've tried baking soda as well in the past which did make my skin really soft but also quite irritated.

So, has anyone used a good exfoliater that doesn't irritate their acne / lead to more breakouts??

Why not try using any product at all and see how your skin reacts to it?

Just use one of those floof.. puff ?? things and do a gentle scrub.

If you still break out, the exfoliation might be over drying your skin

causing your glands to over react and break out

Why do you need to ex-foliate in the first place? Is your skin peeling/flaking? Try using nothing as suggested above. If your skin is peeling or flaking, soak your face in warm / hot water until the skin is soft, then rub in light circles with your fingertips until you feel the skin coming off. I stopped using all scrubs, washcloths, loofas, and products long ago and never looked back.

I probably don't need to use an exfoliater at the moment as my skin isn't dry and flaky because I've stopped using my BP. I don't think I'll start using it again - I want to see how other treatments work for me. It is heading into cooler months where I am and my skin can get dryer then but I'll see how I go using nothing (not that I used exfoliaters often anyway) and search for a better moisturiser.

Thanks for the replies :)

Try using a baby wash cloth it works perfect and I can use it twice a day every day and I use bp.A gentle buff puff also work well they make them in other brands as well but I cant use that daily and also a facial brush works well but again I cant use it daily.I have very sensitive skin and cant use any of the scrubs out there they all break me out.

I use Earth Science Gentle Apricot Facial Scrub with a microfiber towel and have had great results. The scrub is a moisturizer too so it doesnt dry out your skin.

I used to use Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub. Very mild SA content and gentle round beads, smelled like Orange creamsicle.