Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatrixGravity

Quick Question About Moisturizers.

Why is it that some moisturizers do different things? For example, some moisturizers have SPF protection, some even out skin tone, some claim to even reduce visible redness on skin, so how can I figure out which one to buy if so many moisturizers do different things? I thought moisturizers are just supposed to make your skin feel soft. Why do they even reduce redness or even out skin tone in the first place? That's what confuses me the most. Aren't moisturizers solely designed to simply smoothen skin?

Aveeno has an entire line of moisturizers. What's the point of making 5 different type of moisturizers if they are all just designed to smoothen your skin? What is so different about each moisturizer? It makes no sense. How the heck am I supposed to figure out which one is the best?

http://www.aveeno.co...re/moisturizers

Edited by MatrixGravity

I have always wondered this too. Sometimes I come across companies that offer various different moisturisers and the comparison is actually very little. Sometimes I can only spot one or two different ingredients.

My guess is that marketing would be a factor. Offering a wide variety of skin care products each targeted specifically for different skin types means big money for cosmetic companies.

It also gives the consumer a choice, depending on their skin type. Not everyone wants a moisturiser with SPF in, and not everyone has sensitive skin.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Avenger

I have always wondered this too. Sometimes I come across companies that offer various different moisturisers and the comparison is actually very little. Sometimes I can only spot one or two different ingredients.

My guess is that marketing would be a factor. Offering a wide variety of skin care products each targeted specifically for different skin types means big money for cosmetic companies.

It also gives the consumer a choice, depending on their skin type. Not everyone wants a moisturiser with SPF in, and not everyone has sensitive skin.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input. Yeah, that's what confuses me. Why do so many moisturizers contain SPF? Since when is that even necessary? Moisturizers are simply used to give smoothness to your skin and prevent it from drying out.. Not sure where sun protection comes into play.. Makes no sense to me.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input. Yeah, that's what confuses me. Why do so many moisturizers contain SPF? Since when is that even necessary? Moisturizers are simply used to give smoothness to your skin and prevent it from drying out.. Not sure where sun protection comes into play.. Makes no sense to me.

The sun is the main cause of ageing skin, which is why a lot of moisturisers contain SPF.