Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killallthescars2

Dermatologist Tries To Scam Me!

Hi! Ok, so I have some deep rolling scars, and today I had an appointment at this place where they do plastic surgery and chemical peels and lasers.

I was already interested in the Laser Fractional CO2 procedure (that's the best I can afford). She kept telling me that for best results I need 4 rounds of this. She would use the lowest intensity the first time.

Also, she said that I will only see the results 2-3 months after the procedure because collagen takes that much time to grow. That is a lie, because collagen should form when the face heals from the laser (2 weeks). But in the low intensity procedure, my scars would not show ANY change because they need invasiveness...

How can I persuade this lady to use the high intensity on me on the first time? It wouldn't even be dangerous, because I saw on youtube that some surgeons use the highest intensity on first timers without complications.

The problem is that this would steal so many months from my time, until they can "finally" use the high intensity on me, which is probably the only type of intensity that would help my scars.

I am scheduled on 17th May.

I want to convince her to do it right the first time. Any ideas? I think everyone tries to scam you nowadays!!!! Help?

Edited by killallthescars2

Don't always go by what you see may work for some people. Everyone's skin is different and their rate of healing is different. I think it is reasonable for her to start out with a low intensity to see how your skin will react as a side of caution. Otherwise, you may come out looking like a burn victim and much more dissatisfied. Yeah, it may cost a lot for more treatments, but the cost of the damage from doing too much is more of a cost. I don't feel as though she is scamming you, but I would do a bit more research on lasers for scar removal, because I've often come across stories that they don't work and people are dissatisfied that their skin looks worse a couple of years down the road.

Also, she said that I will only see the results 2-3 months after the procedure because collagen takes that much time to grow. That is a lie, because collagen should form when the face heals from the laser (2 weeks).

You're wrong here buddy, collagen formation takes months and months, what you see after two weeks is not what you'll see after several months. Maybe you should look into what you're doing so you won't be yet another tosser who claims lasers don't work because you didn't get instant results from a single procedure.

>I want to convince her to do it right the first time. Any ideas?

Don't give her your money if she isn't doing it the way you want. Simple?

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I only want her to be harsh on the scars, not on my whole skin. So, can I tell her to use the high intensity, even though she said that the first time she will use the low one? If so, how do i do this? Should I tell her on the phone on Monday about what I want her to do?

I think that if I don't see any improvement at all after the skin heals (2 weeks after the procedure), two or three months later will not make any difference. Anyway, thanks for what you said, and I hope you tell me what I should do out of these two: Call her Monday, or tell her right before the procedure?

Don't always go by what you see may work for some people. Everyone's skin is different and their rate of healing is different. I think it is reasonable for her to start out with a low intensity to see how your skin will react as a side of caution. Otherwise, you may come out looking like a burn victim and much more dissatisfied. Yeah, it may cost a lot for more treatments, but the cost of the damage from doing too much is more of a cost. I don't feel as though she is scamming you, but I would do a bit more research on lasers for scar removal, because I've often come across stories that they don't work and people are dissatisfied that their skin looks worse a couple of years down the road.

I know you are perfectly right about the human skin reacting differently. But I think that low intensity laser doesn't do anything for depressed scars. She told me that after the first procedure I would see an improvement 10-20%. And then I'd have to wait another 3 freaking months to get the next one, 3 months in which I'd have to hide my scars and be antisocial again. Besides, I am using all my money here (I'll also owe money to my sister for a long time), and I only get 10-20% results at best, when she could truly help me get more than that. I know she could help me, so I need to convince her not to waste my time. Please someone help meee!!

Also, she said that I will only see the results 2-3 months after the procedure because collagen takes that much time to grow. That is a lie, because collagen should form when the face heals from the laser (2 weeks).

You're wrong here buddy, collagen formation takes months and months, what you see after two weeks is not what you'll see after several months. Maybe you should look into what you're doing so you won't be yet another tosser who claims lasers don't work because you didn't get instant results from a single procedure.

>I want to convince her to do it right the first time. Any ideas?

Don't give her your money if she isn't doing it the way you want. Simple?

I agree the collagen formation is not instant. I hope the OP is talking about Re:pair, otherwise forget it. Deep rolling scars will need at least 4 Re:pairs 4-6 months apart. The Derm is covering her own butt, and fears a malpractice, that is why she wants to treat at the lower level first to see how that goes. That is not entirely a bad idea as there can be complications with a few people. The problem is the patient will see little or no improvement, and like you said will become a tosser. This strategy is good if the patient realizes that this is really a skin test, and not to expect results, or minimal results at best. I sometimes forget that part of my history is previous regular CO2 and Dermabrasion so I am sure my doctor felt comfortable doing me at 70mj-60%. Perhaps it is better to err on the side of caution, but this may result in you needing 5-7 Re:pairs at increased settings. As hard as it is to swallow this may actually be the safest approach for most people, but it is hard to basically throw $$ down the drain on a test.

Edited by DudleyDoRight