Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rigatron

23 Y/o Male, Log Starting On 5/03/12, Pictures Included

I've had acne since I was about 17. The severity of which has just been getting worse. I recently starting to develop cysts, and my derm finally decided that accutane was appropriate. It was a very fast process though, she barely even looked at me.

Just took my first dosage of 60mg. I weigh about 155 pounds right now, but I thought I weighed 165 when I went to the derm. My prescription is written assuming I weigh 165. I don't know how significant that will turn out to be.

Having just taken my first two 30 mg pills, I immediately started to feel side effects of stomach nausea. I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, so I don't know how much of it is in my head, but I definitely have a stomach ache. I might call my derm tomorrow and ask if I should lower my dosage. I'm a little tempted to go make myself throw up.

Here are pictures as of just a few minutes ago. The pictures seem to be washed out, and not really show much my acne, but you get the idea. I also had several cysts deep under the skin, which you could not see unless I pushed my tongue against the side of my mouth. They are about the size of half a dime. These pictures really don't show off my acne very well, trust me it's there. It might be rather moderate compared to some acne sufferers, but I still wake up with a new spot pretty much everyday. They take weeks to heal, and leave PIH.

BTW, I plan on updating this page semi regularly. I'm making it because it seems that not many adolescent/tween males have made many accutane logs.

Products that I'm using

Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser/Make up remover

Olay moisturizer w/ spf 15

Cetaphil lotion

jojoba oil

post-150859-0-58721000-1336094158_thumb.

post-150859-0-73824900-1336094209_thumb.

post-150859-0-57944700-1336094242_thumb.

post-150859-0-58721000-1336094158_thumb.

post-150859-0-73824900-1336094209_thumb.

post-150859-0-57944700-1336094242_thumb.

Edited by rigatron

She put you on accutane for that? I thought accutane was meant to be a last resort and it's for severe acne. Your acne would be moderate at most to me, have you tried to change your diet or anything like that?

She put you on accutane for that? I thought accutane was meant to be a last resort and it's for severe acne. Your acne would be moderate at most to me, have you tried to change your diet or anything like that?

Yeah I know it doesn't appear to be much from the pictures. It's a little more gruesome in person. I have about three cysts right now, but they're deep under the skin and aren't really visible unless I put my tongue on the side on my mouth.

I've done everything you can imagine to treat my acne, and nothing has really worked satisfactorily. And yes I have tried changing my diet. I have cut out dairy, and tried to eat more vegetables and fruits. Doesn't really seem to have too much of an effect one way or the other. My main concern is the high dosage. My stomach feels better now, but it's still kind of unsettling to experience an effect so suddenly.

Guest *Spiro*

The stomach ache is nerves I am sure of it. First day you would not experience accutane related stomach aches. Watch out for them in the future though. Diaherra is what you should really be looking for.

The stomach ache is nerves I am sure of it. First day you would not experience accutane related stomach aches. Watch out for them in the future though. Diaherra is what you should really be looking for.

Ok, thanks for the mental pick me up, if nothing else haha! I do have a sensitive stomach, and IBD is honestly the side effect I'm most worried about (God forbid Crohn's).

Bro, talk about a funny coincidence. First of all my name's John, I'm also 23, have had acne since 17 as well, and I also am starting isotretinoin today!!! My acne looks somewhat similar to yours, I just have a more red face. Like you I've also done all the other topicals and antibiotics with no success. I did every diet in the book as well, vegetarian, no dairy/gluten, plenty of fresh fruit and veg all in different combinations with every skincare routine imaginable. Don't worry about getting ragged on by the guy above, a lot of people on this site believe that diet will fix everyones skin problems, short answer: it won't. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that a lot of people have gotten clear through diet and stringent skin care routines, I tried it for literally years and it didn't help me one bit unfortunately. Acne is a complex thing, what works for one may do nothing for another and vice versa. Antibiotics helped me get closer and hoping this will get me over the top. I'm only on 30mg a day and weigh about 150 btw. Will follow your log and will start my own to document. Best of luck mate and take care.

Bro, talk about a funny coincidence. First of all my name's John, I'm also 23, have had acne since 17 as well, and I also am starting isotretinoin today!!! My acne looks somewhat similar to yours, I just have a more red face. Like you I've also done all the other topicals and antibiotics with no success. I did every diet in the book as well, vegetarian, no dairy/gluten, plenty of fresh fruit and veg all in different combinations with every skincare routine imaginable. Don't worry about getting ragged on by the guy above, a lot of people on this site believe that diet will fix everyones skin problems, short answer: it won't. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that a lot of people have gotten clear through diet and stringent skin care routines, I tried it for literally years and it didn't help me one bit unfortunately. Acne is a complex thing, what works for one may do nothing for another and vice versa. Antibiotics helped me get closer and hoping this will get me over the top. I'm only on 30mg a day and weigh about 150 btw. Will follow your log and will start my own to document. Best of luck mate and take care.

Nice, thanks for dropping a line. I'm making this log just this reason, other young males in my demographic. Wish you the best, and I'll be following yours as well.

Little update, not too much to report.

I'm getting ready to take my dose for today, after I eat dinner and let that digest for a little while. My face has dried out a little bit, so I put on some moisturizer this morning. It hasn't even been a week yet, and it seems my face is actually clearing up significantly. Not to get my hopes to high however, I realize that an IB if fairly likely in the next couple of weeks.

My face is pretty red, possibly from sitting in the sun for about 30 minutes. I think I'll have to start being more careful about wearing sunscreen and staying out of the sun. This is pretty poor timing to start an accutane regimen :/ Such is life though, I just hope things continue to go well.

Wore sunscreen today, and was outside for quite awhile. Seemed to do ok.

I can't sleep right now, because my face itches. I'm trying not to touch my face, but it's pretty unbearable. I guess this is the IB pushing through most likely. I have noticed a few new spots these past few days, but they're smaller than usual. My face is definitely improving, hopefully this IB isn't awful and my complexion evens out.

-It's really strange, but my problem areas (my cheeks and my nose) have become very red and grizzly looking. The rest of my skin hasn't really had that problem. It's weird an orally taken drug would interact with just my main problem areas like that. Maybe that skin is just particularly sensitive, which contributes to my acne problem.

-Skin is drying out dramatically, but the moisturizers seems to be doing it's job.

-Dry lips, but I've been staying on top of it with chapstick and whatnot.

-Sore muscles. My knees hurt sometimes, my hips hurt sometimes, my back, everything. I had surgery on my shoulder in February, and the accutane hadn't caused any problems with that until today. Last night when I was sleeping my shoulder kind of jumped or spasmed out of nowhere. I don't know what happened, but today it is sore. This isn't necessarily related to accutane though. I just hope I didn't injure it.

-Headaches. I get a headache every once in awhile, and it's fairly acute pain but only lasting about 30 seconds to a minute. It's weird.

-Initial breakout is in full swing. My forehead looks pretty terrible, but I'd rather breakout there than my cheeks. I'm still breaking out on my cheeks, but it's not terrible. Might post a picture here later or tomorrow.

Edited by rigatron

Day 6

This is some more accurate pictures of the situation. Lookin' a little grim.

I'd really appreciate some feedback or words of advice.

post-150859-0-61775300-1336597673_thumb.

post-150859-0-12336600-1336597681_thumb.

post-150859-0-34771000-1336597686_thumb.

post-150859-0-21983000-1336603803_thumb.

post-150859-0-61775300-1336597673_thumb.

post-150859-0-12336600-1336597681_thumb.

post-150859-0-34771000-1336597686_thumb.

post-150859-0-21983000-1336603803_thumb.

Edited by rigatron

Keep at it man, you're gonna do great. Just stay on top of the moisturizing and drink a lot of water. The first month was horrible for me, but things started feeling better from there on out. The redness for me appears in my tzone on my face. About one week in it got really bad and appeared as if I had a bad sunburn. I still have a bit of redness in that area, but it seems to be improving each day.

Keep at it man, you're gonna do great. Just stay on top of the moisturizing and drink a lot of water. The first month was horrible for me, but things started feeling better from there on out. The redness for me appears in my tzone on my face. About one week in it got really bad and appeared as if I had a bad sunburn. I still have a bit of redness in that area, but it seems to be improving each day.

Roger that, on the moisturizer and water. I hate wishing away time, but I really want to just fast forward about 3 months

Roger that, on the moisturizer and water. I hate wishing away time, but I really want to just fast forward about 3 months

I have been thinking the same thing man. I just want it to be over. I know it's a process, but with all the side effects and everything that comes along while being on the medicine, it's difficult. It will start to go by a lot quicker before you know it.

I didn't take a shower yesterday because my hair seems to have dried out, along with my skin. When I took one today I noticed alot of hairs on my towel when I dried my hair. I've always been paranoid about going bald, but I really hope I don't experience hair loss. I already have thin hair as it is.

Dandruff. Dandruff everywhere. The top of my head itches like crazy, and the corner of my mouth is cracked and swollen.

I've suffered some setbacks from my surgery in the past few days, and my shoulder are very sore. These may or may not be related to the accutane. I'm definitely sore in my knees, hips, and chest which are almost certainly related to the accutane. I'm considering calling my derm and asking about halfing my dose to 30mg. If I continue to have pain or shoulder problems which don't appear to be normal, I'll probably do it. My skin seems to be doing well though, so that's a plus. However, of course, my overall health is of the utmost concern.

Edited by rigatron

I've suffered some setbacks from my surgery in the past few days, and my shoulder are very sore. These may or may not be related to the accutane. I'm definitely sore in my knees, hips, and chest which are almost certainly related to the accutane. I'm considering calling my derm and asking about halfing my dose to 30mg. If I continue to have pain or shoulder problems which don't appear to be normal, I'll probably do it. My skin seems to be doing well though, so that's a plus. However, of course, my overall health is of the utmost concern.

Look into taking some fish oil supplements for joint pain, I hear it helps a lot!

Hey again mate, probably won't start a log on here as I'm not sure how often I'll update it and am more of a stalker watching other peoples progress lol. So yeah, if you're thinking about asking for a reduction I'll tell you my experience so far. Again I'm on 30mg and weigh similar to you 68-70 kg (150-155 lbs). So far things have only gotten better acne wise, after 1st week things have been steadily improving, hoping I have avoided the bad IB but still weary that it could come any time in the near future. My skin isn't really dry, but my oil production has been drastically reduced, so I guess my skin is just normal now? I'm moisturising and all that so that will be helping at any point... Lips are a bit dry but applying chapstick every couple of hours and not trying to like move them around to feel how dry they are and it's definitely manageable so far, thinking it will have to get worse than this. No pain any where on my body whatsoever. I play football at a pretty competitive level and we had a tough game two nights ago and besides being sore from a hard game I didn't get any pain that may have come from the drug, just sore in the usual places. Definitely no changes in mood, only for the better as I'm starting to feel that in the coming few weeks and months that this part of my life will finally be behind me. Also I had the hair on the towel thing to, like maybe 2 or 3 times I've noticed, but only a few, and short hairs, so hoping it's not related or atleast will be minimal, come on man! I've got acne already, am I not ugly enough as it is without going bald lol. Yeah so on the low dose I've started on I feel like it's starting to take affect and I'm dodging/minimising the side effects... So far. So from my experience I would recommend talking to your derm if you feel like it's too high of a dosage and you want to reduce the side effects, but everyone is different and reacts differently and it may not help a lot, or at all, it's a tough one lol. But yeah any way I thought I would share my two cents (or judging by the length of this rant it's probably more like a dollar, sorry about that surprised.gif) and maybe it may help you come to a decision. Still wishing you the best of luck mate and will continue to follow your progress/drop in from time to time.

Hey again mate, probably won't start a log on here as I'm not sure how often I'll update it and am more of a stalker watching other peoples progress lol. So yeah, if you're thinking about asking for a reduction I'll tell you my experience so far. Again I'm on 30mg and weigh similar to you 68-70 kg (150-155 lbs). So far things have only gotten better acne wise, after 1st week things have been steadily improving, hoping I have avoided the bad IB but still weary that it could come any time in the near future. My skin isn't really dry, but my oil production has been drastically reduced, so I guess my skin is just normal now? I'm moisturising and all that so that will be helping at any point... Lips are a bit dry but applying chapstick every couple of hours and not trying to like move them around to feel how dry they are and it's definitely manageable so far, thinking it will have to get worse than this. No pain any where on my body whatsoever. I play football at a pretty competitive level and we had a tough game two nights ago and besides being sore from a hard game I didn't get any pain that may have come from the drug, just sore in the usual places. Definitely no changes in mood, only for the better as I'm starting to feel that in the coming few weeks and months that this part of my life will finally be behind me. Also I had the hair on the towel thing to, like maybe 2 or 3 times I've noticed, but only a few, and short hairs, so hoping it's not related or atleast will be minimal, come on man! I've got acne already, am I not ugly enough as it is without going bald lol. Yeah so on the low dose I've started on I feel like it's starting to take affect and I'm dodging/minimising the side effects... So far. So from my experience I would recommend talking to your derm if you feel like it's too high of a dosage and you want to reduce the side effects, but everyone is different and reacts differently and it may not help a lot, or at all, it's a tough one lol. But yeah any way I thought I would share my two cents (or judging by the length of this rant it's probably more like a dollar, sorry about that surprised.gif) and maybe it may help you come to a decision. Still wishing you the best of luck mate and will continue to follow your progress/drop in from time to time.

Yeah, I'm at least asking for a reduction to 30 mg tomorrow, and not taking it today. I had surgery in February on my shoulder, and already had surgery on my right shoulder years ago. It's not worth risking orthopedic problems, which I'm prone to. I might of hurt the one I just had surgery on a couple of times, but I'm not sure. It definitely hurts, but everything hurts right now. Other than that, my skin is doing really well and everything, but I might just stop it completely before I destroy myself. I'm kind of leaning towards completely stopping the treatment, and just using topicals again. It sucks, but at least I know I won't have serious health issues.

Guest *Spiro*

Your thinking of quitting and your not even a month in? Try to stick it out, the side effects usually get better after the first month.

Your thinking of quitting and your not even a month in? Try to stick it out, the side effects usually get better after the first month.

I've never heard that from anyone, and is kind of counter intuitive. It doesn't really seem like your body would build up a tolerance and stop calcification buildups in your joints and muscle. I spent thousands of dollars on this surgery, and don't want to undo that and months of physical therapy for a moderate cosmetic issue.

That said I will probably try to just lower my dosage to 30 mg. Hopefully my knees won't feel like they're about to snap at any moment then, and my shoulders won't be throbbing constantly.

Guest *Spiro*

I wasn't aware you had a surgery, sorry. Makes sense not to mess any of that up. Good luck

Yeah mate it's a tough one, you definitely have to look out for your health first and foremost, up to you about lowering the dosage or just quitting all together. I know I would find it very difficult to get off this stuff as I feel it is now my only hope to kill of my acne, but fortunately I am not experiencing anything like you are. If you are thinking about the lowered dosage that may still be a good plan, and if things improve then good, if not then you'll probably know that for now it's a no go. Let us know which road you take.

I haven't died yet, I know you all were worried about me tongue.png

Yeah I have been taking 30 mg a day since then, and my side effects have lessened signigantly. Splitting headaches are gone, and the soreness in my knees and hips have lessened dramatically. Even the dryness on my face isn't too bad anymore. I'm still breaking out though, the most recent one being just a few days ago and I'm still recovering from. Breakouts seem to come in waves, but I guess when it rains it pours.

I started to use Selson Blue (anti dandruff shampoo) and wash my hair less frequently. I also started to taking biotin, which immediately started working pretty well. My chest hair has thickened up a little bit, which is easy to notice because there's not much of it. Overall things are going good, I'm comtemplating asking my derm to increase my dose to 40 for this next month, and then 50 for the next one, and then keeping that constant.

I'll post some more updated pictures around june 3rd, which will be the 1 month mark.

TL;DR Side effects lessening, contemplating an increase in dose after next visit.

Supplements currently being taken: 30 mg accutane, fishoil, biotin, msm, and multivitamin

Edited by rigatron