Notifications
Clear all

Facial Hair Removal On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@picklesmcgee11)

Posted : 05/03/2012 10:11 am

UGGGH I completely forgot about this part. If I go on Accutane... will I be able to remove the hair from my upper lip (yes. I'm super italian and this NEEDS to be done once a week!) I normally use a cream such as Nair... I've never waxed, so that's fine, but I don't want to shave or tweeze that will only make the hair worse. Has anyone been on Accutane and used a hair remover on their face?? Suggestions?

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 05/03/2012 10:18 am

I'm afraid I can't answer your question from experience, but I would say no. Things like Nair are basically an acidic substance that dissolves the hair...and when I do my upper lip and forget about it, some bits of skin too!

I have heard people on here say threading is ok, but you would have to go and get it done somewhere, and tweezing (americanism for plucking?) won't make it work as it will be pulling it out from the root, so should in fact last for longer.

Either way, look into plucking if you have a lot of dark facial hair anyway as I have dark hairs friends who swear by it

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 05/03/2012 10:45 am

I had mine threaded all through my Roaccutane course. I asked the therapist to do it really gently and it was fine. Waxing is not a good idea and I wouldn't put any harsh chemicals on your skin. I would say either use a pair of tweezers and do it yourself or get it threaded.

MemberMember
(@picklesmcgee11)

Posted : 05/03/2012 10:49 am

Oh man... so it looks like the Nair is out. Ive never threaded or plucked (yes, tweezing is the american version lol)rolleyes.gif but I guess those will be my options. yikes. I still don't know if I'm going to go on, but I wanted as much information as to what I'll be doing/not doing while I'm on... so thanks for the replies rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@maximabella)

Posted : 06/21/2012 2:03 pm

i normally wax, but for my upper lip what ive been doing is bleaching, then i buzz off all the little bleached hairs with that itty bitty electric hair remover

MemberMember
(@hazelglaze)

Posted : 06/26/2012 8:21 pm

I recommend you try threading. It is what I am doing and it gets rid of hair much more quickly than tweezing. Depending on where you live, threading can be pretty cheap or pretty expensive. After asking around, a few people told me they learned how to do it by watching youtube. I was able to learn this way too using these two links. I prefer using a smaller loop and have gotten much better with practice. I recommend trying it out around your eyebrows first to get the hang of things. You'd be surprised how much hair you are able to get that you don't even see! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@picklesmcgee11)

Posted : 06/26/2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the video hazel! I thought I would try threading but am having a hard time finding places near me that do it. & while lazer would be a good idea in the long run..it isn't an option during my accutane course.

i normally wax, but for my upper lip what ive been doing is bleaching, then i buzz off all the little bleached hairs with that itty bitty electric hair remover

I really like this idea. The bleach didn't bother your skin?

MemberMember
(@hazelglaze)

Posted : 06/30/2012 4:23 pm

Try doing the threading on your own. All you need is some regular thread and you aren't risking putting any chemicals on your already fragile skin. :-)

MemberMember
(@dearcasey01)

Posted : 01/03/2013 11:38 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't suggest it. I was Accutane for six months and even though I did not have any serious side affects, my face became immensely dry and sensitive. When your skin becomes so sensitive, it wouldn't be a good idea to put a chemical hair remover, such as Nair on your face. It could cause bad irritation and tiny bumps to occur in the area. Trust your gut, if you don't think it's a good idea, then don't do it.