Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
akondi

Struggling With Acne, Could Use Support

hey everyone, im gonna put it out there that this will sort of turn into a blog for me, i will list what i use/diet and how im feeling cause ive found the biggest and hardest part of this battle with acne is venting to others, especially when when you have bad acne/scars and no one really that will understand. lately ive become very depressed so any support or anything that can make me smile would help.

to start off, im an 19 year old male from california. both my parents had horrible acne as teenagers and my mom has rosacea and my dad has horrible acne scars (both are in their 50's). ive dealt with acne for the past 6 years or so. It started when i was in freshman year of high school. It started as pimples and zits and soon turned to redness. Throughtout high school i bought all the products, proactiv, murad, benzo at rite aid, and i never watched my diet. Soon it became worse so i started to make changes by my senior year. I was watching was i was eating and some improvements were made, but the damage was done and i have tons of scars. fast forward to my first year in college and i really ate healthy like pasta, chicken, veggies, fruits and pasta with the occasional donut or greasy hamburger. Then I really looked and researched acne and the different products. I started to use products from Vasseur day spa in san diego. They have an acne clinic and can help but their products are expensive. like 50 bucks for 2oz ala cream, or 2oz benzo.... stuff like that. i noticed a difference, but it wouldnt go away, i still had redness and some pimples. then i really dug deep and found the diet connection. and for the past 6 months ive been off and on on the WAI diet. all you eat are fruits, extra virgin olive oil andd egg yolks. I would be good for the week, then on the weekend eat crappy food with my friends. After being on this diet for 2 whole weeks, i noticced all my pimples and zits were gone, no more of those bumps on my chin line and the redness was fading. this is where it bring me today. today i still have some acne, especially ehwn i eat anything crappy, but during the end of the week after a long time of keeping on the wai diet, i will notice a big difference in my skin. but its hard. I hate having to watch what i eat all the time, and that i cant eat out with my friends cause ill break out and get red. I hate how i have to spend tons of money on acne prodcuts and my face still looks like crap. I hate how i cant talk to girls or people in general cause im so shy due to my acne or cause after seeing my face for 2 seconds they get a look of disgust on their face. also i wear makeup, just a little bit, but its a liquid neutrogena foundation that i put on my cheeks and sometimes my chin. ive been doing this since high school. but back then i would use my moms powder. ive learned to put it on then lay on a pillow and it will give me a more natural look, but even still in direct sunlight, its visible. no one knows about me wearing makeup, but im sure people can tell. whenever i leave my house or go on trips, i always carry my makeup with me.. and that brings me to my next point. I hate how i cant be outside or when i talk to people i stand in the shadde so they dont tell im wearing makeup. I hate all of this, there are more and more times that i cry randomly throughout the day because of how ugly acne has made me. now as a second year ive joined a frat so i have friends, and so i have opportunities to talk to other people. I also work out like crazy and take care of myself and get good grades in school so i have something other to talk about myself that isnt my acne.

sorry that this is so disorganized, but im venting for the first time about my acne becuase i cant vent to my friends. i wear makeup and my acne seems not as bad.so they wouldnt know. i can talk to my parents, but there isnt much they can do. i jsut want to hear some support from anyone, anyhting to help me keep in this fight, something to help me stay on this wai diet consistently so i can get clear. its hard being a college kid that is broke and has so many temptations or eating our with my friends and drinking. ive never been depressed before but i know i am now. and i hate how my face looks, i hate it so much that i just cry now instead of trying to find a way to clear my acne, so please any support or any kind owuld help.

I can relate man. Im 22 year old male from california. I just moved to NYC to live with my aunt in the city. But when I was 19, I had really bad skin. My life was shit. I was hanging around the wrong people smoking weed and eating shitty all day. I had no interaction with girls, and I was never able to have a full on conversation with anyone because I was so self conscious about my skin. It sucked. My life was shit from 19-20 3/4. I finally made a change and left them and stopped smoking and started eating healthy. I went to a derm and my skin cleared up by the time I was 21. My life was amazing. I got ALL of my confidence back. I started working out going to crossfit, boxing, going out with new guy friends and meeting girls and hookin up. Life was great. i was doing everyhting I wanted to do bc my skin was clear and nothing was holding me back. Then 1 weekend in Vegas 3 months ago, my skin broke out, and i developed a different skin issue. Dermatitis and some very mild acne and rosacea. Now im 22 1/2, living in NYC with kinda shitty skin. Im working with a derm right now, but I can tell you my life is def not where I want it to be. Im living in a city where theres women EVERYWHERE. I would love nothing more than to go to bars and get drunk and talk to women, and find a girl to possibly settle down with while im living here. But with my skin the way it is, I cant. Its unfortunate because I went from having clear skin for over a year, to al of a sudden having issues again.

So the point is I know 100% where you are coming from. You need to do whats right for you. Eat healthy ALL the time. If you know that makes your skin better, than do it. Once your happy with your skin, then experiment with something small off your healthy diet. See how you react. Oh and I used to wear makeup too. I was 19 and had a 25 yo girlfriend. (this was before I had really bad skin when I was smoking weed) I had mild acne and I would steal her makeup and put it on. I would carry it with me everywhere i went. It was ridiculous. But go on a skin care regiment. Stick to a routine. Going from product to product is not good. It confuses your skin. Work with a dermatologist. See if your parents will help you out with costs for that and tell them how much having clear skin means to you. It means the world to all of us. Keep working out, eating healthy, not drinking, etc. Good luck brother!

Edited by Murph89

I'm 19 too! From the other coast though, and a bit further north haha.

I think it's great that you're still socializing and being active and stuff, regardless of your skin. When my acne was at it's worst I pretty much shut down and I regret it every day. I'm also in the boat now where I have to watch every single thing I eat to maintain clear skin. I haven't had pop, chips, pizza, chocolate, or anything like that for nearly two years now. It really sucks, sadly all I can do is stay disciplined.

how to you define "crappy food"?

if its dairy or gluten then its very very very likely to cause your acne.

pizza chocholate ice cream mcdolands or pretty much all "crappy food" has gluten or dairy in it, and that what probably cause you to breakout.

why you wear makeup? you said that if you eat right then you dont have acne, so.....?

how to you define "crappy food"?

if its dairy or gluten then its very very very likely to cause your acne.

pizza chocholate ice cream mcdolands or pretty much all "crappy food" has gluten or dairy in it, and that what probably cause you to breakout.

why you wear makeup? you said that if you eat right then you dont have acne, so.....?

i define crappy food as anything that isnt 100% natural, so if its not fruit or egg yolks then i probably wouldnt eat it, the reason is that for about 6 months i ate healthy according to a dietician's standards, so that was like chicken and pasta, vegetables, brown rice, beans, oatmeal(made with water), fish, nuts, but my skin would still be red and oily, and i would still break out... slowly i began to realize that it even though i was eating chicken pasta instead of pizza, the chicken was probably filled with all these antibiotics and chemicals that they fed the chicken, and it had pasta sauce and all these salts and seasonings. i also looked into the ingredients of the other foods i would buy like pasta and granola and would see there was alot of wierd ingredients in there, and i felt like the accumilation of all these little things added to the problem... thats why i finally said i would go with the wai diet, only fruit, extra virgin olive oil, and egg yolks, becuase i wasnt sure what ingredient or what food was causing me to breakout/redness

i would still wear makeup cause my redness and scars would still be there, i would be great with my diet for about a week, but on weekends when i hang out with my friends, its hard to say no to eating takeout or pizza or having drinks at the bar... or when i would go home for the weekend ( im a college student) its hard to say no to the food my parents would cook for me, like pork ribs, with corns, mashed potatoes or enchiladas. 1) cause we arent that rich adn only can afford so much so i wouldnt complain what they made 2) becuase im mexican and love mexican food... also i have acne scars and without my makeup i would feel naked and embarrassed, like everyone was looking at me and judging me (whether or not they actaully were)

eating the diet has helped my skin, like when im strict with it, i dont break out,, but i still have to deal with the scars and redness. the redness slowly goes away, but whenever i indugle on any crappy food, it slowly lingers

Edited by akondi

remember, pasta=gluten=high chance to cause acne.

Edited by arqa22