Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

This would be a specific questions so idk if anyone will answer..

I was put on differin for VERY minor closed comedones and my face just blew up.. had so much acne i never had my entire life! anyways, week 13 in, it was still very bad.. more closed comedones than when i started with.

I scrapped this treatment because it is by far making my skin worse and i havent seen any improvements throughout treatment..

so, now im stuck with lots of small bumps on my face but nothing inflammed.. I hear glycolic acid is great to get your skin smooth..

has anyone had experience with glycolic acid and closed comedones? or basically if u had bumpy skin.. did it help smooth it out?

Glycolic Acid (which is an AHA) has dramatically improved my skin's condition. I use Alpha Hydrox, I think they have a bunch of different concentrations, but I use the 12% and only a little bit mixed with some jojoba oil. Oh man, I forgot what my skin looked like as a kid! It makes it smoother, and exfoliates the top layer of your skin. You won't see a huge difference until you're about a month or two into it. I had a ton of clogged pores and just... thick, scaly skin on my face from years of using BP. Now I use a mask with colloidal sulfur, and follow up with an AHA... booom, dramatic reduction in clogged pores. I'd say definitely give glycolic acid a try!

I love glycolic acid. I use a 20% toner often and a daily cleanser that contains glycolic and salicyclic acid. I've also used 30% occasionally. It does help to exfoliate and keep pores open. My skin doesn't look like it did when I was a baby, but it helps to prevent cysts and other forms of acne...so, that's enough for me.

I love glycolic acid. I use a 20% toner often and a daily cleanser that contains glycolic and salicyclic acid. I've also used 30% occasionally. It does help to exfoliate and keep pores open. My skin doesn't look like it did when I was a baby, but it helps to prevent cysts and other forms of acne...so, that's enough for me.

Thanks for ur response..

so i know u should expect a breakout but just wonder how it was for you.. I have a lot of small bumps and few swelled bumps..

will those come inflamed?

Glycolic Acid (which is an AHA) has dramatically improved my skin's condition. I use Alpha Hydrox, I think they have a bunch of different concentrations, but I use the 12% and only a little bit mixed with some jojoba oil. Oh man, I forgot what my skin looked like as a kid! It makes it smoother, and exfoliates the top layer of your skin. You won't see a huge difference until you're about a month or two into it. I had a ton of clogged pores and just... thick, scaly skin on my face from years of using BP. Now I use a mask with colloidal sulfur, and follow up with an AHA... booom, dramatic reduction in clogged pores. I'd say definitely give glycolic acid a try!

Thanks for ur response.. same question..

so i know u should expect a breakout but just wonder how it was for you.. I have a lot of small bumps and few swelled bumps..

Thanks for ur response..

Thanks for ur response.. same question..

I did experience a mild breakout for the first week, but it wasn't stuff that became inflamed unless I messed with it. Don't try to pop any pimples, but that goes for every situation! Since AHA is an exfoliant, it will allow your clogged pores to start pushing their way out. Best thing to do is leave it alone, or give yourself a clay mask once every other day to help pull the gunk out. The thing about AHA is that you have to be patient with it, since it only exfoliates the very top layer of skin, and to get through the many old layers of skin that may be contributing to your clogged pores, it will take a few weeks at least! Make sure you give it a good try before you give up. I would also start out with a lower percentage concentration (between 5% and 12%) as it CAN be irritating to the skin. It is an acid! Many docs use higher percentages as a peel. Gentle is the way to go for inflamed, irritated skin.

My skin didn't get worse before it got better. It never has... with any product. Glycolic acid doesn't cause clogged pores. If you had them, you had them... you know? If I had them, they werne't a secret to me. I was aware. I get painful, deep cysts and I know when they're there.... trust me.

I do agree to start weak with the percentage. I have tough skin and can tolerate higher levels. But, it CAN burn if used improperly. Start slow and be careful. I don't get it on my lips and I am careful around the creases of my nose and that area tends to dry and peel easily.