Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know whether to use shaving cream or not. I've been told by my friends that shaving cream prevents irritation and so therefore, preventing breakouts which is logical. However, i've also read somewhere that the shaving cream itself irritates the skin causing breakouts. So what should I do?

It depends on the shaving cream. Some creams have a depilatory factor in them and can result in

irritation to sensitive skin. Im not sure what ingredients in shaving cream are the depilatory but do some research

to try to find one that doesn't have it if you still want to wet shave.

Also, a friend of mine still uses an old school straight blade ( like the one you see people use to slit throats in those old school gangster movies ) and he gets his powder from a natural health food store. It takes a bit of work to first, mix, then lather it up and apply,

But he swears its the best shave he has ever had and never gets irritation after.

Seems a bit primitive compared to today's shaving standards but I have to give props to the guy.

He paid $70 for the straight blade and leather strap to sharpen on 3 years ago and hasn't bought a razor since.

A Gellet blade a week at $25 for four blades = $300 a year on blades alone. eusa_doh.gif Pretty gross when you add it up.

But any ways .. back on topic.. if you find that commercial shave creams are irritating you, it might be time to head

to the natural health store to find some cream that doesn't have all the crap in it that commercial creams do.

I myself, just use an electric shaver and have never looked back to a wet razor.

Edited by Zraden

A Gellet blade a week at $25 for four blades = $300 a year on blades alone. eusa_doh.gif Pretty gross when you add it up.

LOL, this was debunked a long time ago and all over the news. You can keep any razor at a good sharpness if you dry it after each shave by ringing it out and leave it blades up to dry, the only reason the blades go bad so fast if many morons store it with water on the blades and blades down, so the blades oxidize and become dull...if I used a blade like this a 12 pack of blades could easily last me a year, so $25 a year for blades not bad at all. The best shaving cream for sensitive skin is Barbasol IMO, and it's like 1.25$ a can...

LOL, this was debunked a long time ago and all over the news. You can keep any razor at a good sharpness if you dry it after each shave by ringing it out and leave it blades up to dry, the only reason the blades go bad so fast if many morons store it with water on the blades and blades down, so the blades oxidize and become dull...if I used a blade like this a 12 pack of blades could easily last me a year, so $25 a year for blades not bad at all. The best shaving cream for sensitive skin is Barbasol IMO, and it's like 1.25$ a can...

Crazy, I guess a lot of it depends on how thick, how fast and how much you use your blades in a week.

If I dont shave every morning, I have a full on beard by the evening. That why I switched to an electric razor.

Wet shaving just left my face feeling raw after and despite shaving direction, stroke count, cream, which ever...

I would get a ton of ingrowns for my efforts. Plus my blades always felt crappy by 1 to 2 weeks

of use regardless of where I stored them.

Crazy, I guess a lot of it depends on how thick, how fast and how much you use your blades in a week.

If I dont shave every morning, I have a full on beard by the evening. That why I switched to an electric razor.

Wet shaving just left my face feeling raw after and despite shaving direction, stroke count, cream, which ever...

I would get a ton of ingrowns for my efforts. Plus my blades always felt crappy by 1 to 2 weeks

of use regardless of where I stored them.

what electric do you have? i use a braun its pretty badass

Yeah I herd the Braun line is pretty sweet. I just use the Philips AquaTouch wet dry. Its nice in the winter

when its about 0% humidity here and I can use my electric as a wet razor with out getting that raw feeling

manual blades leave behind.

Edited by Zraden

I'm using remmington, it's quite a nice shaver, I don't get irritated when I shave now. However, that's only when i use the trimmer. If i use the shaver itself i start getting irritations even worse so than with a razor.

I'm using remmington, it's quite a nice shaver, I don't get irritated when I shave now. However, that's only when i use the trimmer. If i use the shaver itself i start getting irritations even worse so than with a razor.

Your skins process is broken dude, I would highly recommend you look into diet and detox from the inside out to clear acne. For me, I use to be like you, I would get acne when I shaved and very oily skin. I found out I have a sensitivity to gluten which caused all sorts of aliments in me, including acne. Once I changed my diet and eliminated gluten from it, my face cleared up and my skin regeneration came full circle again like I was a kid, and now I can shave and wash my face without oily skin or acne. Good luck