Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
runner1981

Apple Cider Vinegar On Acne

I'm 30 years old and I've struggled with acne ever since I was around 16 or 17 years old. I have red, sometimes painful cystic type acne on my forehead and some around my chin/mouth area. I've tried just about everything under the sun over the years to try to get rid of my acne, including expensive prescriptions from my doctor and Proactiv, but nothing has ever worked. A couple of weeks ago, I read about using apple cider vinegar (ACV) to treat acne. I'm desperate and have nothing to lose, so I figured I'd try it. The only place I have oily skin is on my forehead, which is probably why most of my acne is on my forehead. I don't have any body acne, just on my face.

I've been using Bragg's organic ACV for a little over a week now both internally and externally. I apply the ACV directly to my face with cotton balls twice a day after showering and then after washing my face at night. I have also been drinking 2 tablespoons in 8 ounces of water 2-3 times a day in hopes of speeding up the process of clearing my face. For the past few days, the acne on my forehead has actually seemed WORSE than it was before I started the ACV regimen. It's redder and more painful than it was before; however, most of my zits feel like they have hardened up and started to dry out, but they look absolutely horrible and hurt. I can also literally see the oil on my forehead when I look in the mirror. It's so bad that I don't even want to leave the house looking like this. It's a good thing I work from home!! I read somewhere that a lot of times your acne can actually get worse before it starts to get better when using ACV because it's removing all of the toxins from your body through your skin. I have no idea how accurate that information is, but I did read it in a few different places.

I guess I'm just wondering if it really is normal for your acne to look worse before it starts to look better when using apple cider vinegar. Has anyone else had this experience? Will it really start to improve? I've only been using ACV for a little over a week, so I'm trying to be patient since I know it can take a few weeks to see results, but I'm just kind of frustrated that it looks even worse now and is more painful than ever before. I'm at least hopeful that I'm making some progress because of the fact that a lot of my pimples feel like they've hardened up now, but they HURT and are very red currently! If anyone has any tips/advice or can share experiences using ACV on facial acne, I'd greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: Okay, I have just done some more reading and I just learned about the "purging process" when using something new on your skin. Is that what this could be? When I'm experiencing right now sounds exactly like what I've read about with skin purging!

Edited by runner1981

I used just ACV for a little while, and I found out the hard way that if you use straight ACV, it can make acne much, much worse. Since then I have put it in a spray bottle, half and half water ACV mixture. Much gentler, although I make sure to rinse it off soon after. If you leave it on for too long, it can be harsh on your skin as well. (I use it only as a toner now, as I have found something else that works better for treating the acne itself). Remember, the harsher you are to your skin, the more irritated and blemish prone it will get!

I used just ACV for a little while, and I found out the hard way that if you use straight ACV, it can make acne much, much worse. Since then I have put it in a spray bottle, half and half water ACV mixture. Much gentler, although I make sure to rinse it off soon after. If you leave it on for too long, it can be harsh on your skin as well. (I use it only as a toner now, as I have found something else that works better for treating the acne itself). Remember, the harsher you are to your skin, the more irritated and blemish prone it will get!

Wow. I'll bet that's what my problem is. I've just been using straight ACV on a cotton ball after taking a shower during the day and then after washing my face at night. It makes my face REALLY red and it stings like crazy. It even makes some of my pimples bleed! I'm going to try diluting it in water and using a spray bottle instead to see if that makes a difference and helps clear my skin up. Right now, my face (especially forehead) looks worse than ever and it hurts! Thanks for the info!!!

Edited by runner1981