Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 Hair Loss

MemberMember
(@beautyy)

Posted : 05/01/2012 9:30 am

Two months ago I stopped taking Vitamin B5 due to hair loss. My hair is still falling out in tremendous amounts but I am now starting to notice a bunch of new hairs growing in. I check my scalp regularly & each day I'm noticing more and more new hairs. I'm hoping this is a good thing but the hair falling out has not stopped yet. Anyone suffering from hair loss due to B5 please let me know if this has also happened to you.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 05/01/2012 10:53 am

Your body could still be depleting excess Panothen if you were doing a megadose of B5, it shouldn't be re-occuring unless you had taken toxic levels.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 05/01/2012 12:42 pm

How much are people taking to get hair loss? Ive been taking just 500mg on and off for a couple years now, notice no hair loss.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 05/01/2012 2:11 pm

How much are people taking to get hair loss? Ive been taking just 500mg on and off for a couple years now, notice no hair loss.

People take up to 10g of B5 for acne. Something like 500mg would be insignificant.

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 05/01/2012 2:58 pm

I take around 10 grams and experienced no hair loss. I also take MSM daily (few grams) which is supposed to be good for hair growth so maybe that offsets it. Can't say for sure.

MemberMember
(@beautyy)

Posted : 05/01/2012 3:30 pm

I was taking it for a month. I started off at 3grams and went up a gram every week. I stopped after the month (I was at 7grams) because I noticed my hair was MUCH MUCH thinner. The hair loss hasn't stopped yet and it's been 2 months. I haven't seen anyone else saying that they started growing new hair though. I on the other hand am starting to grow new hair. I'm happy about this and hoping it's a good thing, I just want to know when the falling out will stop & if anyone has grown new hair also?

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 05/02/2012 11:56 am

Growing new hair is a healthy sign, it may take a while for the hair to stop falling out, but this shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, unless you are getting receeding hairlines badgrin.gif

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 05/02/2012 12:34 pm

It's madness that people take that much, not only harmful but completely useless. A low dosage is much more effective and safe. I can notice a difference just on taking 500mg, that's what the guy in the adult forum did too to get rid of his acne, just a low dose. It works better with L-Carnitine.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 05/02/2012 2:15 pm

Hair goes through cycles naturally. There will be a few months where it is thicker and where it is thinner. Maybe you are somehow losing hair due to B-5, but it seems unlikely. Has anything else changed in your routine? Sleep? Birth control? Sun exposure (lack of Vitamin D = hair loss!)?

MemberMember
(@beautyy)

Posted : 05/02/2012 4:26 pm

It's not unlikely that I lost it due to B5 because I am not the only person suffering from this. There are a lot more people than you think who are having this problem & its not just a coincidence.

MemberMember
(@qrar)

Posted : 05/03/2012 2:27 pm

I always thought b5 would help hair loss?

MemberMember
(@beautyy)

Posted : 05/04/2012 7:35 am

Unfortunately hair loss is a side effect of mega dosing. I saw hair loss after a month, others have seen it after a week & others don't see it until years after.

MemberMember
(@darragh202)

Posted : 05/21/2012 5:22 am

Yeh its defo the b5 causing the hairloss, same thing happened me few months ago and it hasn stopped its not really bad but its annoying when i gel my hair i would notice 2 or 3 big hairs keeps reminding you all the time. Im taking Cystiene Metho and Biotin really haven noticed anything? i stopped b5 straight away when i noticed it but now im taking Pantethine a few times a day for acne. Any clue why the hair loss starts, I heard that when you take excess b5 it leaches cysteine which is needed for your hair but i don't think it makes any difference taking l-cysteine supplement well i haven't noticed in anyways

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 05/21/2012 5:37 am

can someone explain me how B5 connected to acne?

MemberMember
(@universe)

Posted : 05/31/2012 4:18 pm

From what i have researched is appears if you are prone to genetic hair loss (i.e your father, mother, uncles have it) then a megadose of b5 can kick start it. B5 has an effect on sex hormones and dhea.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 07/24/2012 3:07 pm

i have been considering getting some B5 supplements but after reading so many comments on hair loss i am reluctant. it seems that B5 works well for some people but causes hair loss in others?

i am concerned because i am already losing my hair and i do not want to have to deal with that AND acne. is this something i should definitely be worried about?

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 08/01/2012 2:29 am

The same thing happened to me... 2-3 months on, megadosing B5, and hair loss.. hair thinning, especially in the front... it's insane.

I hope it grows back or I'm screwed.

I am 24yrs old.

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 08/05/2012 1:27 am

bump

MemberMember
(@liz-grimshaw)

Posted : 08/05/2012 2:31 am

Hi, Just want to give everyone a big warning about this vitamin. I started my 14 year old daughter on pantothenic acid for her skin,. I bought it from Holland and Barratt. A couple of months in she started to shed hair but I thought it was just cyclical. After 5 months and more sheds I took her off it and a fortnight later I could see lots of scalp through her normally thick curly hair. Then I did some more research ( wish I had done more and found you should not take it without biotin.) Consequently I am out of my mind with worry and cannot find any info as to whether or not it will grow back. Vitamins should not be sold in mega doses unless more info is on the labels. It should be looked into more carefully. or banned until more research is done

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 08/05/2012 5:29 am

Hi, Just want to give everyone a big warning about this vitamin. I started my 14 year old daughter on pantothenic acid for her skin,. I bought it from Holland and Barratt. A couple of months in she started to shed hair but I thought it was just cyclical. After 5 months and more sheds I took her off it and a fortnight later I could see lots of scalp through her normally thick curly hair. Then I did some more research ( wish I had done more and found you should not take it without biotin.) Consequently I am out of my mind with worry and cannot find any info as to whether or not it will grow back. Vitamins should not be sold in mega doses unless more info is on the labels. It should be looked into more carefully. or banned until more research is done

It should grow back...

I will keep you updated about my hair and please keep me updated on your daughter's situation as well!

Supposedly it is a vitamin toxicity.. and not because of lack of biotin...

The hair should grow back, so tell her not to worry, but please keep us all updated in this thread! Thanks.

MemberMember
(@liz-grimshaw)

Posted : 08/05/2012 7:38 am

It should grow back...

I will keep you updated about my hair and please keep me updated on your daughter's situation as well!

The hair should grow back, so tell her not to worry, but please keep us all updated in this thread! Thanks.

I will and thanks, I have gone through such panic attacks through this it just isn't worth it. I would rather have my daughter healthy and with spots. I could never forgive myself if it doesn't rectify itself.

MemberMember
(@youngrobot)

Posted : 08/15/2012 1:04 pm

It should grow back...

I will and thanks, I have gone through such panic attacks through this it just isn't worth it. I would rather have my daughter healthy and with spots. I could never forgive myself if it doesn't rectify itself.

Hi Liz,

Have updates??

My hair has definitely stopped shedding. It is too early to say anything about regrowth but my hair is already looking MUCHHH healthier. =]

MemberMember
(@liz-grimshaw)

Posted : 08/17/2012 5:48 am

bump

Hi Mike, I think I can see her hair starting to thicken again, i am just hoping its not wishfull thinking, They say it can be 6 months before it is anywhere near "normal" again. I will surely keep you updated and I am so glad you have stopped shedding. fingers crossed its all uphill now. :)

MemberMember
(@liz-grimshaw)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:50 am

Two months ago I stopped taking Vitamin B5 due to hair loss. My hair is still falling out in tremendous amounts but I am now starting to notice a bunch of new hairs growing in. I check my scalp regularly & each day I'm noticing more and more new hairs. I'm hoping this is a good thing but the hair falling out has not stopped yet. Anyone suffering from hair loss due to B5 please let me know if this has also happened to you.

yes my daughter, I have posted further down. I hope things are still improving for you. :)

MemberMember
(@pinky_shushu)

Posted : 08/30/2012 6:09 am

Hi Liz,

How much B5 was your daughter taking?

Ta,

Katy