Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intro:

(I used to use Finacea 18 months ago but dropped it as my skin improved. Since then, my skin has worsened to a point where OTC products are no longer working. )

I'm starting Finacea this evening and will apply once daily in the evening.

Products: Finacea and Avene Soapless Gel cleanser. Generic anti-dandruff shampoo + AHA 8% gel on chest.

Vitamins: 60mg zinc, 1000mg evening primrose oil, calcium and vitamin d, vitamin C 1000mg.

Dietary: vegan, gluten free, reduced caffeine, reduced sodium, avoiding: citrus, tomatoes, soya and apples.

Lifestyle: two litres of water every day, changing face towels daily/every other day, started jogging.

I'm hoping for slow but steady progress. I've learned so much about skin care since my last time on Finacea + I really feel that this time round I can make the most of Finacea's benefits.

Edited by ohsailor

Day Two

I'm dealing with a spot on the side of my cheek - not too swollen and coming to a had (probably quicker coming to a head than before) It's nothing to do with the Finacea as I had it before I got my prescription.

In general, I feel like my skin looks better. And I just feel better - like I'm doing something really proactive for my skin.

I have one active at the moment which is the one mentioned above.

There is slight tingling upon application but nothing unbearable. I'm being careful to use a small amount rather than overdo it which I did last time, leading to unpleasant dryness.

Day Eight

Got quite a few new spots appearing - one on my chin and one next to the nasolabial fold.

The only good thing is that they seem to be "over" quite quickly. Probably due to the fact that Finacea increases the turnover of skin cells, it seems that the spots come to a head a lot quicker. They have skipped the red and painful bump stage (which I hate) and come to a head and can start dealing with it once they have been squeezed.

My red marks still look bad and obvious.

I guess I'm just impatient and want clear skin now.

My skin was quite dry this morning as well so powder did not apply well.

I'm using concealer and powder at the moment to cover my spots. Hopefully it should get better soon.

Day Ten

Only one burgeoning active right on the skin below my septum. I can feel it being quite a painful one - looks red already :/

The rest are pretty standard - don't think any of them are still active so they are all recovering. In general, apart from this minor purging (which I honestly believe are things that were under the surface pre-Finacea - its bringing up lots of spots that I had suspected were waiting to attack) I'm happier with my skin texture and appearance. The red marks are still horrifically obvious (although I wear only minor concealer and a covering of powder) but it could be worse I suppose.

My forehead has one recovery cystic-type spot at the side but the rest is almost clear. Thank you Finacea for that.

I'm only on day 10 and the leaflet said that six to eight weeks is when the improvement really sets in.

I do also have to wonder whether avoiding soy had made a difference. I certainly think it has.

Onwards and upwards, I can only hope.

Day Fourteen

My skin has been itching over the last few days for longer than before when I've applied the cream. I think it could be connected with the fact that my skin maybe is revealing new layers of skin which are then subsequently, more sensitive + prone to itching?

I am going to apply less tonight and hope that the itching is not as prolonged or severe. Its not intolerable - just uncomfortable.

The rest of my skin is quite good - the spot underneath my nose never emerged - I think due to Finacea application - and is now recovering.

I have a minor spot on my chin that itches - not painful - and its got a white head already so I'm hoping it should be relatively easy to resolve.

The rest of my skin is doing really well - it probably isn't noticeable to other people (because they don't examine my skin as closely as I do!) but I think the marks are starting to fade and the rest of my skin's appearance is less patchy and discoloured.

I'm trying to ignore the spot on my chin and just be thankful that it is my only active at the moment.

I am happy with the progress so far for only fourteen days into useage!

Okay, so things have been up and down.

Just broke out with another spot on my cheek (pustule) and one near my chin (felt a lot deeper) however, they are already clearing up after less than a few days. I was quite upset about them as I've been going through a really good stage with my skin and have just been focusing on dealing with the red marks and then these two pop up. But I feel they are on the road to recovery and hopefully the Finacea will mean that they don't scar as badly either.

Thank you Finacea!!!

In other news, my chest is not good. Its not horrific but its more just little pustules and red dots appearing. I haven't been applying anything as I was worried that BHA could be aggravating it but I might go back to religiously applying it. I don't want my chest to be a mess for summer. I was considering BP but I'm not sure if that is going to be too strong. I am currently washing with Head and Shoulders due to my uncertainty as to whether it is PF or just acne. Either way, regular shower gels make me break out, I suspect, from the SLS/SLES.

Still avoiding gluten and soy. Along with tomatoes, citrus and caffeine. Eating about 1700 calories a day and have recently taken up running (well, more like jogging slowly!) I've heard exercise brightens the skin as well :)