Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First...I'll tell you a little about myself.

I'm a 26yr old male who has suffering from acne since I was about 15 or 16.

I always figured it would "just go away" eventually, but it never did.

In the past 10 years, I've tried virtually everything over the counter, to include the Proactive Solution.

Nothing worked, and I tried to rationalize the cause. I figured it might be because of my diet, as I love fast food. So I changed my diet, cutting all that stuff out, even soda, with no significant change.

Then I figured it was because of hormones caused by my odd working hours. But I realized that when I took time off from work, even weeks at a time, no improvements came about.

Finally, one day I searched on the internet for an answer, and I found this message board.

I tried a lot of what was mentioned here, including starting the regimen, as well as taking B-5 and B-3 (niacin).

Still no change. I thought it was a hopeless case.

Last week, I was in Barnes and Nobles with a friend. I went off to the health section, and that is where I found the book I urge you all to go get.

I'm not the author, and I don't work for the publishing company. I am just a guy who shares in the frustration that many of you have, and once I seen how great this book is, I felt compelled to tell people about it.

The book is titled The Acne Cure.

Its authored by Terry J Dubrow, MD, who is the director of the Acne Clinic of Newport Beach CA.

This book, and I've only gotten halfway done, teaches you all about the skin and the different layers of each.

More importantly, it covers the four stages of acne, and a means of treating all of them.

Dubrow is so confident in his method, that he promises to "cure" acne for 95% of the people that try his program.

I was desperate, so I gave it a shot. The results have been astonishing. I started seeing results in less than two days. And now, two weeks into the program, my face is virtually clear, save for some remaining red marks from previous pimples.

And the program is easy.

Again......I stand nothing to profit by tellign you of this book, save for the self-gratification of knowing I may have helped some people who suffer from this cursed disease.

The ISBN for the book if you want to order it off Amazon or something is 0-446-69241-7. It's only 13.95 in the US/19.95 in Canada

I'm a cheap guy, so I wasn't even going to buy it. I was just going to read what the program was while in the book store and follow it at home, but I found the book had so much good information in it, that I had to have it.

I hope it helps someone.

And if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

Hi.. Can you explain the regimen or the stages in which you took for such a drastic change.

Are there pills and medicines.. changing or diets? changing your pillowcase nightly..

anything....

Thanks

Here are the steps in a nutshell that the book tells you to do.

1. Wet your face with warm water. Use a cleanser with 2% SA and wash your face with it. (I personally use the Clearasil cleansing pads). Leave the SA on your face for about 2 minutes before washing it off with warm water.

Do this first thing in the AM (for men, immediately after you shave), and last thing at night.

Step 2 coming up.

Step 2 is using a product that contains between 8-10% Glycolic Acid. Make sure the product you get has no other active ingrediant.

Now, I personally went to three major drug stores before I was able to find anything that had Glycolic Acid. In fact, I didn't even find it in anything. I had to go to The Vitamin Shoppe (similar to GNC), and they only had one product with it.

The book says to get a GA product that has between 8%-10% GA.

The book says to use the GA after you rinse off the SA in step one. You apply it the same way, after wetting your face with warm water (which it should be wet after rinsing off the SA). Leave it on for about 2-3 minutes, and then rinse off.

If you're like me, you might notice that the GA kind of burns, or stings your face. Thats fine with me, because it tells me that its doing something.

Step 3 coming up.

Step 3 might seem kind of weird.

I don't do as the book says, but I think I get the same effect. Nonetheless...I'll give you the book version in a nutshell (again, for better directions, check out the book)

Do this each evening after you have applied and washed off the SA....

Run an ice cube over the area you intend to treat to cool down the skin until it is wet and cool to the touch. Be careful not to freeze the skin (duh)

Apply a BP solution that you have kept cool in your refigerator. Apply the BP solution (I use PanOxyl) evenly accross all affected areas.

Once you have applied the BP, place one or more cold packs on the affected area. Leve the ice packs in place for about 10 minutes. You can use ice packs they sell at drug stores, or you can simply wrap ice cubes in a towell.

After the 10 minutes, wipe off any excess BP with a soft dry cloth. Leave the residue to work on your face overnight.

Step 4 is to simply use an oil-free moisturizer that is at least SPF 15.

A few notes....

I had to laugh, because in my haste to find out the program, I guess I didn't read it right the first time. In typing all this, I've found out that you only have to use the GA in the morning, and you only use the BP at night. Or so I believe that is the authors intent.

I've been doing all four steps in both the morning and night.

I normally have sensitive skin, but I've taken to this program rather well. I just use moisturizer several times a day.

If this seems like a lot to do, believe me, it works and its worth it.

Furthermore....it gets better.

The author claims this will all but eliminate your acne in only 6 weeks. From that point on, he gives simple directions on what you can do to maintain your healthy skin.

If you're like me, you're more than skeptical. But again, if you're like me, you're sick of having acne and willing to try anything.

I hope this helps. And I have to say that I hope you find and use the book, as I claim no responsibility if my directions get you killed biggrin.gif

Seriously though....if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them as best as my limited knowledge allows.

wow. thanks messenger. This is very similar to Botchla's.

I'm willing to try it out. Did you have initial breakouts? Ive been doing botchla's for 20 days now and have had results. Im curous if you have had any breakouts to begin with.

As far as the GA goes.. All i have is a AHA lotion contains 8% AHA of 70% Solution. It doesnt say whether the ingredients are active...

wow. thanks messenger. This is very similar to Botchla's.

I'm willing to try it out. Did you have initial breakouts? Ive been doing botchla's for 20 days now and have had results. Im curous if you have had any breakouts to begin with.

As far as the GA goes.. All i have is a AHA lotion contains 8% AHA of 70% Solution. It doesnt say whether the ingredients are active...

hi. botchla's is basically a 2% SA wash and then immediately washing with a 10% BP wash. morning and night.

AHA is Alpha Hydroxy Acid Lotion.. one of its main ingredients is glycolic Acid.

hi. botchla's is basically a 2% SA wash and then immediately washing with a 10% BP wash. morning and night.

AHA is Alpha Hydroxy Acid Lotion.. one of its main ingredients is glycolic Acid.

Oh....okay.

Again, I'm no dermatologist or anything.  I'm just an average guy.

I wanted to pass along this information because it worked for me, and it is such a relief living a normal life.

If what you are doing works for you, then you probably shouldn't change it.

But if it fails, then definitely give this a try.

At any rate, I'm out for the night....take care and good luck.

Hi Messenger,

I'm starting The Acne Cure regimen tomorrow. I don't have the book, but I'm gathering info from the net, which is how I came across your post. Prevention magazine has some good info on it http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/...-5489%2C00.html?

for anyone interested.

And yes from what I understand you only do the glycolic in the am, and bp in the pm. And wash w/ sa both.

From what I've read about it, this system makes sense. The reviews I've read seem great-but of course nothing works for everyone. I'm excited to try it.

Good luck. Hope you have continued success.

Except for the ice treatment, this is basically very similar to Paula Begoun's regimen....see for yourself:

Battle Plans for Blemishes

Also, the ice does make sense when it comes to alleviating the redness and the swelling but it should do exactly the opposite when it comes to its intended purpose which is to open up the pores. Everyone knows that ice cold temperature tightens the pores and warm temperature opens them up. So it is best if you steam your face first (or wash off with very warm water) before you apply the BP and then end the regimen by applying the cold compress on your face.

i dont even think ice has anything to do with this regimen.

It has two common variables, with that of Botchla's Regimen. I think that is really all we need. And sometimes the GA.

For me, im incorporating what botchla's regimen provides and Messengers techniques.

Morning.

-Use blackHead Clearing 2%SA wash (wash for 1 minute, leave on face for two while i brush my teeth)

-Apply AHA Lotion (It has Glycolic acid in it)

-Apply some Herbal Logix, for scars (also has Glycolic Acid in it)

Night

-Use blackHead Clearing 2%SA wash (wash for 1 minute, leave on face for two while i brush my teeth)

-Use C&C 10% BP wash

-Apply some Herbal Logix, for scars (also has Glycolic Acid in it)

It is almost identical to Botchla's but includes a GA lotion and the BP is only done once at night, exactly like this "Acne Cure".

I'll let you know this week how this new refined regimen is working... Basically all im really doing different with this new refine regimen is that I have included the AHA creme, since it is a 8% formula and recommended, as one of the steps.

First off this Acne Cure has been posted before about a year ago to be exact. So, if you do a search (on this site) I'm sure something will come as it was a hype back then too. Yes Botchla based his reg off of this. As for the ice Dr Dubrow uses the ice to reduce inflamation and he states that the ice helps the BP penetrate deeper. He also says to use 2-5% BP anything more is too harsh, and that any GA under 8% isnt strong enough. An all day GA lotion contains very little amounts. You can get the GA online at various stores for good prices a as well...

As for results I know some people had them and others did not, but I know it wasnt 5% no results and 95% had them. It was worse than that.

Hi, I've done the acne cure for about a year now. Some additional tips I have. Yes, use the ice. It makes the program work so much better. A tip I picked up from another site for the ice part is to fill up a plastic or styrofoam cup with water and freeze it, then at night, rub the ice over your face like a roll on, apply the BP all over your face (which you should have been keeping in the fridge), then throw the cup of ice into a plastic bag and use it as an ice pack over your pimples and face in general for ten minutes. You can then rinse off the surface of the ice, top it off and freeze again for use the next night.

If you don't want to try the acne cure, you could at least just try the ice pack with your nighttime application of your BP / BP gel just to see if results improve. smile.gif IF the ice makes any difference for you, you can then invest in a face pack. I got mine from an Internet site for under 10 bucks (shipping included), I'll maybe post it later if I find the link.

Also you can buy 8% glycolic acid from Walgreens, it's a Walgreens brand, there's one for face and one for body. It says, "8% of pure 70% solution," but it works just the same. It's only $5.99 for 4 oz (face) or 6 oz (body). I've used both, you wind up rinsing them off, anyway, so the special quality required for a cream that sits on your face all day might not be necessary.

If you have any questions, just ask! smile.gif