Notifications
Clear all

My Acne Scars With Pictures - Update With Pictures (Feb 15 2013)

MemberMember
(@squivi55)

Posted : 04/27/2012 7:21 am

Hi everyone. Though I am a new member, I'm definitely not new to acne. I'm 26 now and I've suffered from acne since I was 11. At first it was isolated to my forehead and I got a few every few days. Once I turned 16, I got pimples everywhere - forehead, cheeks, chin, upper lip, back and chest. It was not pretty at all. Up until September 2011, I was using Stridex pads with Salicylic acid or BP (can't remember) and I even went to a dermatologist who cleared me up for about a month before my cystic acne came back at its usual rate.

After finally being sick of covering my face up with too much foundation, I poured my heart out to my mother. Coming from an Indian (Asian) family, she knew what the culprit was: the chemicals Salicylic acid and BP. She told me to immediately stop using anything with those ingredients, which I promptly did. My skin got worse, as expected, in the first few months. However, by February of this year, my skin started clearing up drastically. If I got breakouts (which I still do), they're smaller and quicker to go away without any topical creams/medications. Needless to say, I feel more confident, even with the few I get. I can manage those. My mother also told me that it's all psychological - what I think are 'a lot' of 'big' pimples, she can't even see! So that made me feel much better and happier. My routine is I just wash my face with mild soap and moisturize with Cetaphil moisturizing lotion.

HOWEVER, with that in mind, the leftover of the tons of acne has left me with scars - hyperpigmentation & indentations. Now that my skin is clearing up, the depressed scars are there and make me feel like garbage. I've been looking at home remedies to treat them, leading me to use sliced cucumbers on the affected areas for the past month. I think they've made a difference, but the scars still look terrible to me. I plan to continue using cucumbers, but I will also try out tomatoes, coconut water and sandalwood powder.

The point to my long post is that I'm (obviously) trying to get rid of the scars. What treatment options do you all suggest? I'm terrified of using lasers, microderms & any other invasive procedures because I have terribly sensitive skin. I would still like to have your advice, just in case I decide to pursue an invasive option.

Attached are pictures of the scars. Ignore the few pimples in picture 1, I have a feeling they're part of 'that time of the month'.

Thanks and looking forward to your help.

- Squivi

post-175598-0-24808100-1335529028_thumb.

post-175598-0-78536100-1335529173_thumb.

post-175598-0-24808100-1335529028_thumb.

post-175598-0-78536100-1335529173_thumb.

MemberMember
(@squivi55)

Posted : 05/19/2012 10:57 am

I've begun to consider laser resurfacing, despite reading the horror stories from other people who've had this procedure done. I'm really getting desperate. Any advice? Is my skin tone too dark for laser?

MemberMember
(@soontobemd)

Posted : 05/19/2012 3:18 pm

Darker skin types are more at risk from hyperpigmentation due to lasers. Do you hyperpigment from acne lesions? If so, then it is likely that the laser would make you hyperpigment as well.

Another possible treatment for your scars which appear to be boxcar and ice pick would be TCA cross treatment. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 05/26/2012 6:19 pm

Based on my experience, TCA CROSS hyperpigmentation is more severe. I had a difficult time getting rid of all the burn dots on my face. After about 6 months, I was still suffering from dark dots, and the only thing that cleared it was laser, followed by a couple months of HQ. I half Asian with lighter skin than the poster. While I also suffered hyperpigmentation with laser, the area was even and faded much faster. Also, my small, deep icepick scars that were close together like the poster's scars bascially joined together and transformed into lines and wider indented areas. I strongly advise against TCA CROSS. I had mine done by a derm too, who was qualified to do the treatment. My skin just reacted poorly to it. It was the biggest mistake I ever made in treating my acne scars, while laser was the best decision I've made.

MemberMember
(@lzomg)

Posted : 05/26/2012 7:20 pm

you look like a great canidate for Fractinoal Co2 Laser,

I recommend either the DEEP FX or the FRAXEL REPAIR, and possibly the upcoming SCAAR FX.

I know you are afraid of lasers, but trust me its really not that bad. I had the Active FX, which does almost nothing :/. but the experience its self isnt that bad.

MemberMember
(@squivi55)

Posted : 06/03/2012 1:31 pm

LZOMG - wouldn't any of those laser procedures harm my skin, especially since my skin color is darker? I don't want the scars to get worse, nor any hyperpigmentation, so I'm thinking now that lasers aren't the best for me...

Would dermarolling be at all helpful or is that a waste?

MemberMember
(@lzomg)

Posted : 06/03/2012 2:04 pm

LZOMG - wouldn't any of those laser procedures harm my skin, especially since my skin color is darker? I don't want the scars to get worse, nor any hyperpigmentation, so I'm thinking now that lasers aren't the best for me...

Would dermarolling be at all helpful or is that a waste?

The only issue you are at a higher risk for is Hyper/hypo pigmentation. if your surgeon is skilled then additional scarring isnt that high. But hyperpigmenation is temporarily and can get treated. Hypopigmentation is rare and im not exactly sure how you get rid of hypopigmentaion. I think ReCell. You can try subscision though.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/03/2012 9:27 pm

squivi, the best advice you will probably get is from other Asains who have done Fractionalized Ablative CO2 like TokyoGirl. It takes multiple treatments at a high setting 70mg to achieve results. If the settings are too low you will be dissatisfied with the results, and not go back for the much needed repeat treatments. Results are cumulative. There is another thread by an Asian man who had laser and subcision done at the same time, and that is quite interesting. As you can tell by my signature I have had Re:Pair done at the max settings 5 times, and it gets easier each time. I am a big advocate of Re:pair because that is the only thing that worked for me. I did the 3 biggies Dermabrasion, Regular CO2 and Re:pair.

MemberMember
(@squivi55)

Posted : 06/04/2012 9:31 am

Unfortunately I don't have the money for multiple sessions of laser resurfacing. Plus I still have active pimples (yet very small) on my cheeks. Either way, I don't think I'm a good candidate. I'm considering dermarolling though, since I can do it myself or I can go to a professional, both being much cheaper than laser. Obviously I know that the scars will never fully go away, but I'm fine if they get a bit shallower, enough so they don't detract attention from the rest of my face. Does anyone think dermarolling/skin needling will help?

I've been told by family that they are not as bad as they seem and they continue to advise me to either accept them and love myself or to use home remedies to lighten them. It's hard to do either because these scars are all I see when I look in the mirror and I'm so tired of hating what I see. 11 years of my acne ridden misery and counting... *sigh*

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/04/2012 9:44 am

Unfortunately I don't have the money for multiple sessions of laser resurfacing. Plus I still have active pimples (yet very small) on my cheeks. Either way, I don't think I'm a good candidate. I'm considering dermarolling though, since I can do it myself or I can go to a professional, both being much cheaper than laser. Obviously I know that the scars will never fully go away, but I'm fine if they get a bit shallower, enough so they don't detract attention from the rest of my face. Does anyone think dermarolling/skin needling will help?

I've been told by family that they are not as bad as they seem and they continue to advise me to either accept them and love myself or to use home remedies to lighten them. It's hard to do either because these scars are all I see when I look in the mirror and I'm so tired of hating what I see. 11 years of my acne ridden misery and counting... *sigh*

One home remedy that worked wonders for me was lemon juice and sugar. I'd squeeze out half of a natural lemon and mix that with maybe a teaspoon of sugar and massage all over my face in gentle circular motions twice a day, then rinsed with lukewarm water. If your skin is sensitive i would suggest doing that once a day. Didnt even take long to notice results, maybe 3 or 4 days to see that it was working for me! Great results! Also, shea butter is awesome and works very well also. Some people say it clogs their skin, not mine though, but to be on the safe side if i were you i'd start with the lemon/sugar scrub and see how that goes for you.

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/05/2012 3:50 am

One home remedy that worked wonders for me was lemon juice and sugar. I'd squeeze out half of a natural lemon and mix that with maybe a teaspoon of sugar and massage all over my face in gentle circular motions twice a day, then rinsed with lukewarm water. If your skin is sensitive i would suggest doing that once a day. Didnt even take long to notice results, maybe 3 or 4 days to see that it was working for me! Great results! Also, shea butter is awesome and works very well also. Some people say it clogs their skin, not mine though, but to be on the safe side if i were you i'd start with the lemon/sugar scrub and see how that goes for you.

This isn't going to do jack.

If you honestly think this kind of treatment did anything at all, you didn't really have acne scars to begin with.

And for the love of God, don't put SUGAR on your face. All sugar does is exacerbate skin conditions, including acne and rashes.

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/05/2012 8:24 am

This isn't going to do jack.

If you honestly think this kind of treatment did anything at all, you didn't really have acne scars to begin with.

And for the love of God, don't put SUGAR on your face. All sugar does is exacerbate skin conditions, including acne and rashes.

Sugar can be used as a natural exfoliant, like how the salt in beach water NATURALLY exfoliates your skin. Honestly, do some research into why lemon and sugar have benefits for your skin. It's called Glycolic Acid which is an AHA. Which is the stuff found in chemical peels. Chemical peels are what derms use to resurface your skin. Resurfacing is done to remove your dead skin cells thereby also removing dark spots, a.k.a acne scars. 1+1=2, Citrus fruits have it and grapefruits and lemons/lime have very high concentrations of it. What it does is go deep into the layers of your skin to promote cell turnover. Cell turnover is when your old cells die and are replaced by new ones, a.k.a healing. Like you know when you cut yourself with a sharp object and red stuff comes out. And a few days later it starts to disappear and go back to normal and it doesn't hurt anymore. It has healed itself. People have been using this method for thousands of years. BTW try googling it yourself, there are over 2 MILLION results of articles and people who have used this method long before you were even born.

Here's many links of information that support what I posted earlier.

http://www.makeupall...rand/Treatments

http://www.livestron...-home-remedies/

http://adultacnetrea...ars-lemon-water

http://marykit.hubpa...e-Scars-Be-Gone

http://www.removingacnescars.us/

http://answers.yahoo...13195321AAexyPM

MemberMember
(@tink627)
MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/05/2012 9:07 am

Sugar can be used as a natural exfoliant, like how the salt in beach water NATURALLY exfoliates your skin. Honestly, do some research into why lemon and sugar have benefits for your skin. It's called Glycolic Acid which is an AHA. Which is the stuff found in chemical peels. Chemical peels are what derms use to resurface your skin. Resurfacing is done to remove your dead skin cells thereby also removing dark spots, a.k.a acne scars. 1+1=2, Citrus fruits have it and grapefruits and lemons/lime have very high concentrations of it. What it does is go deep into the layers of your skin to promote cell turnover. Cell turnover is when your old cells die and are replaced by new ones, a.k.a healing. Like you know when you cut yourself with a sharp object and red stuff comes out. And a few days later it starts to disappear and go back to normal and it doesn't hurt anymore. It has healed itself. People have been using this method for thousands of years. BTW try googling it yourself, there are over 2 MILLION results of articles and people who have used this method long before you were even born.

Here's many links of information that support what I posted earlier.

http://www.makeupall...rand/Treatments

http://www.livestron...-home-remedies/

http://adultacnetrea...ars-lemon-water

http://marykit.hubpa...e-Scars-Be-Gone

http://www.removingacnescars.us/

http://answers.yahoo...13195321AAexyPM

Uhm...glycolic acid does NOT help with scars. It helps with cell turnover, yes, which in turn helps with hyperpigmentation (which is inherently temporary) but it is in no way promoting collagen growth to fill in scars. Moreover, the percentages of glycolic acid found in home remedies, such as lemon mixtures and whatnot, do not even approach the percentages you find in laboratory formulations of glycolic acid (10% vs. 20-70%), and even those higher percentages do nothing for scars.

Using sugar as a natural exfoliant is asinine for several reasons:

1. It is WELL-documented that sugar exacerbates skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, and rashes for a variety of reasons.

2. "Natural exfoliation" is detrimental to sensitive skin and can actual lead to further scarring and rough skin texture if done incorrectly.

3. You can't even exfoliate with sugar in a solution because it's no longer in a crystalline structure, you're just inviting bacteria to feed off of it.

All of the articles you cited either refer to either how glycolic acids can help remove hyperpigmentation or they're just half-baked and spouting nonsense. Finding two millions results on Google only demonstrates that it's a widespread misconception, not to mention that your search parameters were extremely non-specific. I mean, you can find around 1.5 million results for "emu oil" on Google as well, doesn't mean that emu oil does anything at all.

The only home remedies which have SOME sort of track record for acne scarring are TCA Cross procedures and needling, and both are very tricky and have tenuously verifiable results.

I'm sorry, but you've been duped with advice made by people who either want to take advantage of gullibility or from people who were so desperate that they were willing to believe that anything works. You either didn't really have acne scars in the first place or you're suffering from a placebo effect. Either way, just putting some lemon juice with sugar on indented acne scars isn't going to do jack, you're wasting your time.

I would appreciate it if you didn't spread misinformation around on these forums, there's enough false information convincing the gullible, I would prefer we abstain from that.

EDIT: In fact, do you have any before/after pictures of your scars? I'm interested to know what your scars actually looked like in the first place.

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/05/2012 9:41 am

Uhm...glycolic acid does NOT help with scars. It helps with cell turnover, yes, which in turn helps with hyperpigmentation (which is inherently temporary) but it is in no way promoting collagen growth to fill in scars. Moreover, the percentages of glycolic acid found in home remedies, such as lemon mixtures and whatnot, do not even approach the percentages you find in laboratory formulations of glycolic acid (10% vs. 20-70%), and even those higher percentages do nothing for scars.

Using sugar as a natural exfoliant is asinine for several reasons:

1. It is WELL-documented that sugar exacerbates skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, and rashes for a variety of reasons.

2. "Natural exfoliation" is detrimental to sensitive skin and can actual lead to further scarring and rough skin texture if done incorrectly.

3. You can't even exfoliate with sugar in a solution because it's no longer in a crystalline structure, you're just inviting bacteria to feed off of it.

All of the articles you cited either refer to either how glycolic acids can help remove hyperpigmentation or they're just half-baked and spouting nonsense. Finding two millions results on Google only demonstrates that it's a widespread misconception, not to mention that your search parameters were extremely non-specific. I mean, you can find around 1.5 million results for "emu oil" on Google as well, doesn't mean that emu oil does anything at all.

The only home remedies which have SOME sort of track record for acne scarring are TCA Cross procedures and needling, and both are very tricky and have tenuously verifiable results.

I'm sorry, but you've been duped with advice made by people who either want to take advantage of gullibility or from people who were so desperate that they were willing to believe that anything works. You either didn't really have acne scars in the first place or you're suffering from a placebo effect. Either way, just putting some lemon juice with sugar on indented acne scars isn't going to do jack, you're wasting your time.

I would appreciate it if you didn't spread misinformation around on these forums, there's enough false information convincing the gullible, I would prefer we abstain from that.

EDIT: In fact, do you have any before/after pictures of your scars? I'm interested to know what your scars actually looked like in the first place.

Regardless of your argument you fail to provide proof of what you're saying when i provided over 10 links to support my argument. Once you show me your "proof" then maybe I can take you more seriously.

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/05/2012 9:44 am

Regardless of your argument you fail to provide proof of what you're saying when i provided over 10 links to support my argument. Once you show me your "proof" then maybe I can take you more seriously.

Everything I've said is stuff you could just find on Wikipedia or a cursory Google search.

The links you provided were also from a cursory Google search, you might as well have just posted the Google search results themselves. And they don't really say anything substantial, as I explained earlier.

Better yet, why not ask a dermatologist, a person who actually knows about stuff like this for a living, instead of relying on random Internet articles any idiot can write? Because this is all stuff I've learned from dermatologists as well.

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/05/2012 10:21 am

Everything I've said is stuff you could just find on Wikipedia or a cursory Google search.

The links you provided were also from a cursory Google search, you might as well have just posted the Google search results themselves. And they don't really say anything substantial, as I explained earlier.

Better yet, why not ask a dermatologist, a person who actually knows about stuff like this for a living, instead of relying on random Internet articles any idiot can write? Because this is all stuff I've learned from dermatologists as well.

I see where you're coming from now. You rely on the college educated to determine what decisions you make in life. There's already numerous posts on this site alone defaming the many things derms tell their patients. I've been fighting acne for over 10 years and have been to countless dermatologists and guess what they all do? Prescribe Prescribe Prescibe! It's not until I took my health and my skin into my own hands and sat down to educate myself that I found solutions that have stood the test of time and have worked for countless people worldwide. People need to realize that a pill, cream or shot is not the solution to mankind's problems! Someone overweight wants a pill to make them skinny but most times that will bring on other added complications, consume a large amount of their money, or just not even work for the person at all. You wanna know what will cure half the obesity in america? It's something that is free! Exercise, increase water intake, and diet! I'm not suggesting something here that will cost an arm and a leg. Lemon and sugar will cost someone maybe 1 or 2 dollars at their local grocery store. How can I be trying to deceive the world?? How is suggesting something so simple and common now construed as an evil way of ruining someone? If anything its those derms and doctors you should be weary of!!! How much do they get to recommend products? Hundreds of thousands PER YEAR. How much money am I making by relating my experience using a 2 dollar method? $0.00!!!

Yes those links were from me doing a search on google (which is what the internet is, an exchange of information) but you know what, if you READ those links you'd see that they all supported my statement. You still have no evidence! I think enough has been said, enjoy your day!

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/05/2012 10:31 am

I see where you're coming from now. You rely on the college educated to determine what decisions you make in life. There's already numerous posts on this site alone defaming the many things derms tell their patients. I've been fighting acne for over 10 years and have been to countless dermatologists and guess what they all do? Prescribe Prescribe Prescibe! It's not until I took my health and my skin into my own hands and sat down to educate myself that I found solutions that have stood the test of time and have worked for countless people worldwide. People need to realize that a pill, cream or shot is not the solution to mankind's problems! Someone overweight wants a pill to make them skinny but most times that will bring on other added complications, consume a large amount of their money, or just not even work for the person at all. You wanna know what will cure half the obesity in america? It's something that is free! Exercise, increase water intake, and diet! I'm not suggesting something here that will cost an arm and a leg. Lemon and sugar will cost someone maybe 1 or 2 dollars at their local grocery store. How can I be trying to deceive the world?? How is suggesting something so simple and common now construed as an evil way of ruining someone? If anything its those derms and doctors you should be weary of!!! How much do they get to recommend products? Hundreds of thousands PER YEAR. How much money am I making by relating my experience using a 2 dollar method? $0.00!!!

Yes those links were from me doing a search on google (which is what the internet is, an exchange of information) but you know what, if you READ those links you'd see that they all supported my statement. You still have no evidence! I think enough has been said, enjoy your day!

Soooo...you would rather listen to the unverified opinions of random articles on the Internet rather than professionals whose entire careers are based around solving your skin problems? Or rather, you would ignore "college educated" people and instead listen to completely unverified and anonymous opinions of people online?

Uhm...okay. Good luck with that.

Personally, I'd take the advice of my dermatologist over a random article on the Internet anyday. I don't understand your aversion to "college educated" people. What, should we NOT listen to the people who have been studying this topic their entire lives? Should we instead listen to random people who make claims that can't be empirically verified? Should their lack of a college education now be a plus when determining their credibility? What kinda stupid reasoning is this?

Like I said before, you're just being gullible and buying into home remedies and things that people claim will work but never do. It's just like all those people who thought emu oil would do something for skin conditions, when in fact it does nothing except perhaps moisturize, or all those suckers who thought Mederma was doing anything for them when in fact Mederma is just onion extract and several scientific studies have demonstrated that Mederma does jack.

Do you honestly think there hasn't been research done to see if glycolic acid and sugar does something for scars? There's been hundreds, many of which you can find on Google Scholar, and all of which point out that this treatment does nothing for indented acne scars.

And yes, I've read all of those articles you posted and more. I read them before you even showed them to me, because I've done Internet research in the past as well. Lemon juice and sugar does not cure acne scars. Period.

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/05/2012 10:58 am

Soooo...you would rather listen to the unverified opinions of random articles on the Internet rather than professionals whose entire careers are based around solving your skin problems? Or rather, you would ignore "college educated" people and instead listen to completely unverified and anonymous opinions of people online?

Uhm...okay. Good luck with that.

Personally, I'd take the advice of my dermatologist over a random article on the Internet anyday. I don't understand your aversion to "college educated" people. What, should we NOT listen to the people who have been studying this topic their entire lives? Should we instead listen to random people who make claims that can't be empirically verified? Should their lack of a college education now be a plus when determining their credibility? What kinda stupid reasoning is this?

Like I said before, you're just being gullible and buying into home remedies and things that people claim will work but never do. It's just like all those people who thought emu oil would do something for skin conditions, when in fact it does nothing except perhaps moisturize, or all those suckers who thought Mederma was doing anything for them when in fact Mederma is just onion extract and several scientific studies have demonstrated that Mederma does jack.

Do you honestly think there hasn't been research done to see if glycolic acid and sugar does something for scars? There's been hundreds, many of which you can find on Google Scholar, and all of which point out that this treatment does nothing for indented acne scars.

And yes, I've read all of those articles you posted and more. I read them before you even showed them to me, because I've done Internet research in the past as well. Lemon juice and sugar does not cure acne scars. Period.

You still have no evidence! There's nothing wrong with being educated, its what i've been trying to tell you to do in the first place. Think about it though, isn't it the people with knowledge and experience that most people trust? Why do you think so many people go to dermatologists?! The point is not to put all your trust in them. Think for yourself. Learn about things for yourself. Don't take the library and internet for granted, its useful for more than just porn nowadays. I MYSELF have been to dermatologists, do you remember when I clearly posted that to you?? Do I need to give you the name of the derm or address for you to believe me? Medical records perhaps? lol Seriously though the evidence is smack dab in your face. A person, me, is writing on this board right now saying that it has worked for me and PROVING that it has worked for others! No doubt these Derms can give you countless so called miracle pills or creams that yes can help people. No one is denying that here. But that is not all the time necessary. Some simple solutions can be found elsewhere. These ppl are not gods, they are humans just like you, just like me. If you noticed, the lady who requested help on this forum specifically stated that she cannot afford lasers! I offered her some reliable inexpensive advice from someone who has tried the method herself AND countless examples of others trying it to! She can decide whether or not to try it herself or proceed with going to a derm but please stop trying to prove a point that you just have no proof to back up. This method is not going to kill anybody or waste a month of her salary. Let the user decide for themselves and stop trying to hinder someone from receiving help. That is what this website was created for!!!

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 06/05/2012 11:08 am

You still have no evidence! There's nothing wrong with being educated, its what i've been trying to tell you to do in the first place. Think about it though, isn't it the people with knowledge and experience that most people trust? Why do you think so many people go to dermatologists?! The point is not to put all your trust in them. Think for yourself. Learn about things for yourself. Don't take the library and internet for granted, its useful for more than just porn nowadays. I MYSELF have been to dermatologists, do you remember when I clearly posted that to you?? Do I need to give you the name of the derm or address for you to believe me? Medical records perhaps? lol Seriously though the evidence is smack dab in your face. A person, me, is writing on this board right now saying that it has worked for me and PROVING that it has worked for others! No doubt these Derms can give you countless so called miracle pills or creams that yes can help people. No one is denying that here. But that is not all the time necessary. Some simple solutions can be found elsewhere. These ppl are not gods, they are humans just like you, just like me. If you noticed, the lady who requested help on this forum specifically stated that she cannot afford lasers! I offered her some reliable inexpensive advice from someone who has tried the method herself AND countless examples of others trying it to! She can decide whether or not to try it herself or proceed with going to a derm but please stop trying to prove a point that you just have no proof to back up. This method is not going to kill anybody or waste a month of her salary. Let the user decide for themselves and stop trying to hinder someone from receiving help. That is what this website was created for!!!

What I find funny is that you place more value in random Internet articles from unverified sources than the advice of dermatologists and scientific studies. I don't doubt you've done the research, but I do doubt your own reasoning abilities when you put more faith in these random articles than scientifically verifiable sources.

Furthermore, you haven't shown me proof of anything. Despite the fact that I have a mountain of evidence on my side if you were willing to actually look at all of the results of your Google searches instead of just picking out the ones that support just your hopes, the fact is that the burden of proof is on you because you were the one that suggested this method of treatment, and so far all you've demonstrated is a few articles that show that it's good for hyperpigmentation.

Topical treatments don't heal scars. Period. Shallow scars may fade BY THEMSELVES over time. For instance, my father had some shallow acne scars, and they faded away to pretty much nothing in about ten years. Deeper scars, like mine, never will fade away on their own.

It's irresponsible to try to give people false hope with advice that has been verified by the scientific community to be false. Why waste time on a treatment that won't do anything at the very best and may cause more skin problems at the very worst?

I like to think that a major reason why this website was created was so users could get together, filter out the bullshit treatments for our various problems, and find out what really works for us. This is a bullshit treatment, especially for deep acne scars.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 06/05/2012 11:26 am

lemon juice and sugar mask(or scrub) might help lighten acne 'marks' but it doesn't work for indented acne 'scars'. Read about how a scar forms on your skin, and it's no way lemon and sugar can reform and fix your damaged skin again. I just don't believe it, but again it might help to exfoliate your skin and reduce discoloration...I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how effective it is. But if the lemon and sugar would fix my scars, I would save a lot of money and I would never visit my derms...and I would not be on org..lol

MemberMember
(@tink627)

Posted : 06/05/2012 12:06 pm

What I find funny is that you place more value in random Internet articles from unverified sources than the advice of dermatologists and scientific studies. I don't doubt you've done the research, but I do doubt your own reasoning abilities when you put more faith in these random articles than scientifically verifiable sources.

Furthermore, you haven't shown me proof of anything. Despite the fact that I have a mountain of evidence on my side if you were willing to actually look at all of the results of your Google searches instead of just picking out the ones that support just your hopes, the fact is that the burden of proof is on you because you were the one that suggested this method of treatment, and so far all you've demonstrated is a few articles that show that it's good for hyperpigmentation.

Topical treatments don't heal scars. Period. Shallow scars may fade BY THEMSELVES over time. For instance, my father had some shallow acne scars, and they faded away to pretty much nothing in about ten years. Deeper scars, like mine, never will fade away on their own.

It's irresponsible to try to give people false hope with advice that has been verified by the scientific community to be false. Why waste time on a treatment that won't do anything at the very best and may cause more skin problems at the very worst?

I like to think that a major reason why this website was created was so users could get together, filter out the bullshit treatments for our various problems, and find out what really works for us. This is a bullshit treatment, especially for deep acne scars.

Is there an article I can read that you can show me then? Do you remember what products your father used? Did a derm give you a specific product to use and if so is it working for you?

http://www.ehow.com/...emon-juice.html

http://www.dailyglow...-scars-for-remo

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/6489.html

http://www.homeacneremedies.us/

http://www.buzzle.co...acne-scars.html

http://skincare.love...ighten_Freckles

Oh yea..here's some more PROOF! Seriously if you're gonna cross someone on this website it better not be me next time cuz i do as much research and reading if not more than the average nerd. I know what i'm talking about and don't make recommendations to ANYONE without trying a product myself first or researching it in depth.

It's not proof, just a load of anecdotal evidence. Scar tissue resides in the dermis, AHAs don't penetrate into the dermis, let alone break down scar tissue or restore lost tissue from tissue atrophy.

You still have no evidence!

Have you heard of 'the burden of proof'? Hint: It's on you here, noone else.

Yay another sceptic! Look we can argue all day on theories but i've shown my proof among tons of people that have used lemon and sugar. Some people are taking this way out of context. If anyone has input on this do like i did and provide reasonable background evidence ok.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/05/2012 2:26 pm

OK, I'm going to close this topic for now, until we've had a chance to clean it up a bit, and find out what's going on. It'll be opened again soon. Sorry to those who haven't contributed to derailing this thead.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/05/2012 3:26 pm

Alright, it's open again.

Please people, discussion is fine, personal insults are not. At this point I have decided to not issue official warnings, as all parties involved were equally guilty. I have removed almost a page of posts, since it was getting more and more off-topic, and I've found that one person shouldn't have been here in the first place. I've also removed the insults from the posts that are still up, if you find one that I may have overlooked, please let me know (or if it's your own post: please remove it). You may continue now, but keep the insults to yourself.

Let me or one of the other moderators know if things are getting out of hand again, so we can step in. Thanks!

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@lzomg)

Posted : 06/05/2012 4:40 pm

The links that you provided do not literally mean "acne scars" they are in fact referring to hyper-pigmentation. Lemon juice might help hyper-pigmentation because it contains citric acid. But as for actual acne scars they dont do anything. So many people on the internet confuse actual acne scarring with hyper-pigmentation. MYTH BUSTED.. oh yeah...