Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tracy521

Food Allergies

So I finally went and had food allergy testing done today and found out that i have an allergy to wheat, cashews, almonds and hazelnut. I can easily give up nuts but the wheat thing is tough. I have been trying to avoid wheat for the past few weeks but i love pasta and pizza. does anybody know of any wheat free pasta out there? also are there any pizza chains that have wheat free pizza? i just looked online and all my favorites are all made with wheat. i am so bummed but hopefully it will help my skin. i am going back next week to have testing for various fruits so hopefully i am not allergic to any of those.

If you have acne you probably shouldn't be eating simple carbs and pizza... I would just stop eating pasta and pizza.

My mother is allergic to gluten (wheat) and you would be amazed at what she can without it! Although I am not allergic, as far as I know, I eat almost entirely gluten free anyways because of her allergy. Eating out is tough, but cooking gluten free is totally do-able. I do know that pizzaria Uno has gluten free pizza.

You can but gluten free pasta to cook at a lot of grocery stores, if you can't find any, most health stores will have some, the taste is pretty similar but it doesn't refrigerate well after a day. Most things will be rice based to replace the wheat.

It's doable, no worries!

yeah i have been good the last few weeks and only had pasta and pizza a few times but i used to eat them a few times a week. its odd my skin can be clear for say a week or two and then all of a sudden it breaks out so i will definitley avoid wheat from now on it just kinda sucks is all. thanks for the tip on uno's they have one near me so that helps and i just did a search and found a gluten free pizza place near me. i am so clueless i just assumed that all pizza was made with white flour not realizing that wheat is in there too. i should have known though. i will definitley be looking for gluten free pasta for sure i freaking love all italian food. its my favorite!! thanks for the tips i appreciate it!

Edited by Karen Howz

So I finally went and had food allergy testing done today and found out that i have an allergy to wheat, cashews, almonds and hazelnut. I can easily give up nuts but the wheat thing is tough. I have been trying to avoid wheat for the past few weeks but i love pasta and pizza. does anybody know of any wheat free pasta out there? also are there any pizza chains that have wheat free pizza? i just looked online and all my favorites are all made with wheat. i am so bummed but hopefully it will help my skin. i am going back next week to have testing for various fruits so hopefully i am not allergic to any of those.

Google search gluten free recipes, there are a lot of gluten free flours you can use and still enjoy homemade pizza and pasta, plus it tastes a million times better anyways.

Google search gluten free recipes, there are a lot of gluten free flours you can use and still enjoy homemade pizza and pasta, plus it tastes a million times better anyways.

thanks i will do that for sure! i just got into pop chips and they are so good. my favorite is sour cream n onion. i have a whole foods place near my work so i figure i will stop there this week to pick up some food i can eat. one of my other favorite things was reduced sugar granola bars but i saw that they have wheat in them too. oh well.

Do not purchase plane gluten free flour though, its terrible. Instead get things like: Millet flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, and sweet rice flour. I have a gluten allergen to, and I have been making GF breads and pastas for a couple months now, no issues.

Edited by bobbi364

i went to an allergy doctor and had a prick test done. so that is how it was determined but i asked about doing a gluten test and the allergy doctor said that was a different test and seemed to think gluten wasnt an issue. i go back in a few weeks for fruit testing so should i push for the gluten test too?

Do not purchase plane gluten free flour though, its terrible. Instead get things like: Millet flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, and sweet rice flour. I have a gluten allergen to, and I have been making GF breads and pastas for a couple months now, no issues.

Edited by Karen Howz

I had a blood test done for celliac disease that showed nothing. If I eat gluten I get stomach pains, bags under my eyes and a major breakout one or two days after exposure. Just wanted to mention that even if blood tests come back negative you can still be sensitive to gluten. For myself wheat and corn cause breakouts but rice seems to be fine.

thank you both for the info. i appreciate it!! that is good to know about the blood tests. ooh i have to look for these rice noodles.

We have recipes here. Look at the Food and Recipe thread right there under important topics at the top of this forum.

ooh that is great news. i am going to check that out now. thank you so much!!

I got these School Bars:

JqCcg.png

I was eating 2 a day for a few days and I had a horrible breakout. The ingredients are:

Concentrated apple puree (an average of 222g of apple used to prepare 100g of school bars), dehydrated apple (28%), maltodextrin, oligofructose, vegetable oil, concentrated strawberry juice (1.5%), apple extract concentrate (1.5%), pear juice concentrate (1%), gelling agent (pectin), natural colour (anthocyanins), natural flavouring, malic acid, preservative (sulphur dioxide) *contains naturally occurring sugars.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Per 100g

ENERGY 1426KJ (337 Kcal)

PROTEIN 0.7g

CARBOHYDRATE 75.0g

OF WHICH SUGARS 45.0g

FAT 3.0g

OF WHICH STURATES 1.8g

FIBRE 6.0g

Sodium 0.2g

Ok, so what caused my outbreak?

Edited by doodleme123

I got these School Bars:

JqCcg.png

I was eating 2 a day for a few days and I had a horrible breakout. The ingredients are:

Concentrated apple puree (an average of 222g of apple used to prepare 100g of school bars), dehydrated apple (28%), maltodextrin, oligofructose, vegetable oil, concentrated strawberry juice (1.5%), apple extract concentrate (1.5%), pear juice concentrate (1%), gelling agent (pectin), natural colour (anthocyanins), natural flavouring, malic acid, preservative (sulphur dioxide) *contains naturally occurring sugars.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Per 100g

ENERGY 1426KJ (337 Kcal)

PROTEIN 0.7g

CARBOHYDRATE 75.0g

OF WHICH SUGARS 45.0g

FAT 3.0g

OF WHICH STURATES 1.8g

FIBRE 6.0g

Sodium 0.2g

You might be sensitive to one of the fruits, believe it or not. Or, the malic acid, preservative (sulphur dioxide), maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is either made of corn of wheat, if wheat in this product, it is likely you have a gluten/wheat sensitivity.

Actually, I apparently have an intorlorance to exactly that (wheat and gluten), but that was via a blood test I done with York. I'm not sure how reliable and accurate the test is; I've heard it's a scam. There was/is a few things on my list, along with the usual suspects. If I'm not actually allergic to wheat & gluten, would it still be possible that ingesting a tiny amount of Maltodextrin would cause me to break out? It was the yellowheads kind of acne; I still get them but usually much smaller. And I am currently eating bread and other wheat products that contain wheat and gluten. I personally thought it may have been the sugar that was breaking me out, but 9 grams per bar doesn't sound a lot to me (45 grams for 5 bars). I never knew Maltodextrin was made of either corn or wheat. I could try eating nothing but wheat and see what happens to my skin.

Actually, I apparently have an intorlorance to exactly that (wheat and gluten), but that was via a blood test I done with York. I'm not sure how reliable and accurate the test is; I've heard it's a scam. There was/is a few things on my list, along with the usual suspects. If I'm not actually allergic to wheat & gluten, would it still be possible that ingesting a tiny amount of Maltodextrin would cause me to break out? It was the yellowheads kind of acne; I still get them but usually much smaller. And I am currently eating bread and other wheat products that contain wheat and gluten. I personally thought it may have been the sugar that was breaking me out, but 9 grams per bar doesn't sound a lot to me (45 grams for 5 bars). I never knew Maltodextrin was made of either corn or wheat. I could try eating nothing but wheat and see what happens to my skin.

In your case yes, Maltodextrin is made of wheat, it is wheat in the UK and corn in the USA. I would only eat gluten free products and avoid all processed foods, even things like this. I would recommend consuming raw veggies/fruits/meats/lentils/gluten free oats and cut the processed foods out altogether. Avoid all added sugars, which are in all processed food products. Make green smoothies/fruit smoothies daily (use a vitamix or blendtech).

Edited by bobbi364

I got these School Bars:

JqCcg.png

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Per 100g

ENERGY 1426KJ (337 Kcal)

PROTEIN 0.7g

CARBOHYDRATE 75.0g

OF WHICH SUGARS 45.0g

FAT 3.0g

OF WHICH STURATES 1.8g

FIBRE 6.0g

Sodium 0.2g

You might be sensitive to one of the fruits, believe it or not. Or, the malic acid, preservative (sulphur dioxide), maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is either made of corn of wheat, if wheat in this product, it is likely you have a gluten/wheat sensitivity.

And then there's the 45g of sugar.

The 45g of sugar or 9g per bar is worrying me.

On another note, I forgot to mention the packaging sais:

Made with real fruit

No added sugar

Count towards 5-a-day

Aid to a healthy digestion

Natural colours and flavours

Low in fat

School bars are gluten free, dairy free and suitable for vgetarians.

In your case yes, Maltodextrin is made of wheat, it is wheat in the UK and corn in the USA. I would only eat gluten free products and avoid all processed foods, even things like this. I would recommend consuming raw veggies/fruits/meats/lentils/gluten free oats and cut the processed foods out altogether. Avoid all added sugars, which are in all processed food products. Make green smoothies/fruit smoothies daily (use a vitamix or blendtech).

I had the same issues with oily and then extremely dry skin due to topical products. I would say to stop using topicals, they dry out your skin way to much. There is a big difference though when your diet is good. If I use topicals right now they do not have the same effect on me as they used to, as in my skin does not dry out that bad from them and it doesn't get over oily either. I think diet is the main thing. Research shows people that are on vegetarian diets saw a huge reduction in acne (80% of the vegetarian population do not have acne). I would attribute the other 20% to other acne factors, hormonal, or allergies from even vegetables, or dairy (something vegetarians still consume, sadly).

I don't use any topicals on my skin and I no longer use soap or any other harsh facial washes for that matter. Just water. Oh but I do shave almost every day, and I use an organic shaving creme called WELEDA. Not sure if that contributes to my acne/dry skin, but it makes for a very good shave.

I got wheat/gluten, dairy and yeast down as my acne culprits. 3 of the BIG ones to eliminate. Not an easy task by any means. I already eliminated eggs and nuts; they break me out for sure. Sugar kept to a minimal, also. Gave up milk, but still eat lots of cheese.

Edited by doodleme123

Get rid of the cheese, consume vegetables, fruits, meats!

Here is a good way to not have to eat all the fruits/veggies all day. Just mix them and drink them.

Edited by bobbi364