Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Severe, Hormonal, Cystic Acne.. 25 And It's Ruining My Life..!

Hi...

Pretty new to this but just wanted some advice please...

I am a 25 year old female and suffered with acne since i was 10.. I have been on every prescription drug going, been on dianette for 10 years and also had 3 courses of ro-accutane with awful side effects and for my acne to come back with vengeance.. About a year ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and also suffer from body dismorphic disorder and take 20mg of citalipram...

The cysts and pustules are only on my face.. Mainly around my jaw and chin, they are huge and hard and so painful.. It really is ruining my life.. I have been told by 3 different dermatologists that it's basically a cross I have to bear and it's part of who I am and was refered for counselling.. Then I got refered to Tony Chu who is the founder of the acne support group in uk.. He offered me cortisone injections and put me on 100mg of dapsone daily, have been taking them for 4 months with little results and also little concerned as I cannot find a lot of information about this drug being taken orally for acne...

I have been researching and one drug keeps popping up for hormonal, cystic acne.. It's called spironolactone I think.. I'd really like to give it a try as I'm at my wits end and so miserable.... It's effecting my relationship and my career..

Please can someone advise me on spironolactone and if their case is similar to mine.. I'm desperate.. Be so nice to talk to someone who understands how I feel..

Thanks everyone... Xxx

If anyone can give

He prescribed me 100mg of dapsone which I have been on now for 3.5 months with little results..

I have read many posts on this site that spironolactone has really helped with cystic acne. Go to your ob/gyn to see if they will prescribe it for you.

Thank you... It's not really heard of in u.k but going to see if they'll prescribe me it... I'm desperate..xxx

HELLO!

Iam on Sprinolactone like you are talking about. I have just recently gotten off birth control completely and i have had hormonal break outs like crazy. I have began to think WHY WHY WHY did I ever stop? I am getting married in August so i have been trying EVERYTHING I can to manage this and get my skin looking its best before my wedding and honeymoon because lets face it...who wants to be self conscious on the beach on their honeymoon and worry about make up??

SO about 6 months about i went into my dermo and asked to get on Sprinolacton. I was put on that but only at 50MG twice a day...they say it takes about 3 months to see results from the pill. But after 4 months i was impatient and went back in and asked to be bumped up. i am not on 100mg twice a day and have seen improvements in my cystic acne....but i still get bad breakout during that time of the month which is hard to control.

But on top of the 100mg i have been getting 2 chemical peels a month since january and those have evened out my skin tone a bunch.

So if i could recommend anything it would be 200mg a day of Sprinolatone!

from my understanding pcos peppermint or spearmint is supposed to be amazing for it also you may want to try and look into flaxseeds(ground up) or chasteberry also known as vitex i found this site it talks about it a bit. but the only way your acne wasnt linked to hormones would be through another cause like a leaky gut or something.http://hollistichealth.devhub.com/acne/

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your acne and how miserable its making you. I really can relate to it and i wish I could help because I have been through the depression, lack of self confidence and despair that comes with thinking you will have acne forever.

I just wrote a post on the forums which might be worth a read for you- it's got nothing to do with Spiro which you are asking about, but i do have PCOS and my acne has by some miracle, cleared up after ten years (i'm also 25).

Anyway, please have a read:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/314798-the-return-of-your-acne-meds-long-term/page__hl__dianette

I really believe that taking Vitamin D3 has helped me.

xx

Hey Hun,

Sorry to hear of your struggles :( I know were ur at im the exact same, acne rules my life when i get a major breakout i hide away and sometimes even wish id go to sleep and not wake up cause its stopping me from living my life, its disgusting and i cant bare it but there is hope!

I was on Dianette for 8 months last year and my face was so unbelievably clear im not gonna lie it took 3-4 months to totally clear and it got horribly worse before it cleared, worse than id ever seen but it continued to stay clear whilst I was on it. Ive came off and cystic acne has returned with a vengenace so i was thinking of going down the spironolactone route cause ive seen so many success storys on here but im not sure if i should just go in for the kill and try the ol accutane. im on oxytetracycline right now and its not doing much. Ive just recently been advised by board members to find the route of my acne so im defo gonna do that i mean it could be hormonal or allergies etc

Best thing u can do which has kinda helped me is accept that ur acne is there and its not going to go away overnight, get on with ur life and dont let it stop u getting out and about and have the hope that u will get the right treatment and get clear :)

Like me ur desperate and u will try anything but its all about patience.

Right now im in the middle of my worst breakout possible and im so very down i just feel so disgusting i just sleep all the time, dont want to see anyone really, im either crying or seriously angry at everyone, dont want to go out, feel ashamed but I know this will pass and Im hoping ill get clear again......thats the best i got right now :) Hang on in there pet

xxx

You probably have Autoimmune disease, its extremely common in the UK and you wont know you have it until you get tested, just ask for a bloodtest from your family doctor, i found out by wanting to go on accutane..

Get that cured and i guarantee your acne will go away

Thank you for all your messages guys..

Quick update.. My skin has cleared up within the last week!! I'm absolutely amazed, the three cysts that I had are gone all my pustules are gone too.. I can't remember the last time my face was so clear and smooth!! My doc said it's because dapsone is completely in my system now..

It's amazing!!! I'm so so happy!! When I have my make up on you can't even see anything.. It is mad how much my face has changed in like 7 days!!! Only problem is.. What happens when I come off this dapsone?? I can't stay on it forever!! Eeeekkkkk... :(

Hi DannieP. Just wanted to say I'm here with ya all the way. I'm 30 and going thru the same b.s. Although I never had acne when i was a teen. I got it in my mid 20's and by my lat e20's that's when it became a REAL prob, for me. I was getting acne on my cheeks for a while, that went away and lately I've been getting it on my chin and jaw line and not small zits, big ass cyst like one. The most recent one where the after effect of a peel I had done a week ago and i'm slightly irritated cause. they are on my left side of my jaw (the side i rarely ever break out on, except for small zits every once in a while) I don"t know if its the exfoliation that brought them out or what, I know some people break out cause. Everything comes out from the peel, I figured i would break out but nothing major. Now i'm gonna have to deal with the pigmentation it's gonna leave behind. I'm not so stressed about it as I used to be. IDK if it's because i'm taking my meds (Zoloft) as I should be and they're stabilizing my moods. A month ago , maybe two I was in such a bad depression because of it . I'm also waiting to get on Spironolactone , I have no insurance and have to wait to get it from work, which is taking forever. I'v e also been told I probably have PCOS, based on my wait and my frequent outbreaks and where they occur . I did have blood tests done and was told i am Insulin sensitive , at this point probably diabetic. So my dear you are not alone, this too shall all pass. It really is all about patience. There is no overnight cure. i figure i've done alot of damage to my body internally from all the crap I've eaten through out the years and now It's going to take some time to correct the problem. Sorry for my personal rant , just know that all will work out and in the mean time eat healthy and work out as often as u can, take the recommended supplements and hopefully u will see great results from that and u may not need the medication. Wishing u nothing but the best.

just saw your post for today....good for you, glad you"ve found something thats working :)

Acne is ruining my life too. I have finals next in 2 weeks and I haven't studied yet. I just can't.. ;\

I've been playing games a lot lately 'cause of skin.. I do think time goes by fast if i play games.. so that's all I do.

I am trying to quit though and just focus on my finals. I might sell my gaming PC soon so I can stop playing. I want to start exercising more, reading books, learn more vegan recipes and cook .. I want to earn a certificate as a chef raw. I also want a certificate for plant-based nutrition. I gotta save up for that. ;\ because of acne, I went to college late and I don't want to apply as a CNA job yet until I am a t least 90% clear.

Edited by EddieE

do you avoid the common food triggers? gluten, dairy, nuts, eggs, corn and foods with critic acid.

if you have acne, its a MUST to avoid those types of food if you want to rule out food reaction.

and dont think that you should have any other symptoms of allergic reaction except acne. for me, i get no symptoms whatsoever except acne, after i eat gluten/dairy/nuts[peanut butter doesnt cause me to break out, but cashew/ almods etc do] i breakout within 2-3 days.

Edited by arqa22