Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MatrixGravity

Important Skin Care Questions!

If anybody here is extremely knowledgeable about skin-care and can offer me some advice on these questions, please respond. Thank you!

1. What is a facial cleanser designed to do?

2. Are you supposed to use cleansers regularly?

3. How do you know if a cleanser is working on your skin?

4. Are cleansers designed to treat acne?

5. Does it matter what kind of cleanser you use? (Expensive/ Cheap?)

6. What are the most important skin products you must have in a skin-regime?

If anybody can give me some thorough detailed responses to each individual question I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.!

Edited by MatrixGravity

Cleansers are designed to clean your skin. They remove dirt, oil, impurities, etc. They are at least designed to do so. They remove all that shit that clogs pores, which produces "acne". Some dermatologists say use a soap and oil free cleanser.

You should cleans twice a day: morning and night (warm water, NOT HOT and NOT COLD)

If your skin is too dry and becomes flaky, then the product is too drying. If your skin breaks out, then you need to switch products. If your skin breaks out from a cleanser, when you buy a new one, make sure the ingredients are different.

Some cleansers contain SA or GA or BP, which are "designed" to treat acne, yes.

Ive used everything from expensive to cheap. Finding a cleanser is trial and error. Find what works best for your skin, bc everyones skin is different.

Proper skin care is: Cleanse in the morning, moisturize with an oil free moisturizer. Cleanse in the evening, tone with a natural astringent, and moisturize.

I have a skin issue right now, but when my skin WAS clear very recently, I would wash in the am, wash in the PM, tone with witch hazel, and moisturize. I would exfoliate 3 times a week.

Exfoliating removes dead skin cells that clog pores.

Cleansers are designed to clean your skin. They remove dirt, oil, impurities, etc. They are at least designed to do so. They remove all that shit that clogs pores, which produces "acne". Some dermatologists say use a soap and oil free cleanser.

You should cleans twice a day: morning and night (warm water, NOT HOT and NOT COLD)

If your skin is too dry and becomes flaky, then the product is too drying. If your skin breaks out, then you need to switch products. If your skin breaks out from a cleanser, when you buy a new one, make sure the ingredients are different.

Ive used everything from expensive to cheap. Finding a cleanser is trial and error. Find what works best for your skin, bc everyones skin is different.

Proper skin care is: Cleanse in the morning, moisturize with an oil free moisturizer. Cleanse in the evening, tone with a natural astringent, and moisturize.

I have a skin issue right now, but when my skin WAS clear very recently, I would wash in the am, wash in the PM, tone with witch hazel, and moisturize. I would exfoliate 3 times a week.

Awesome post, thank you! But I'm confused.. If Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, then what is the difference between that and an ordinary cleanser? Don't cleansers also remove dead skin cells that clog pores?

Awesome post, thank you! But I'm confused.. If Exfoliating removes dead skin cells, then what is the difference between that and an ordinary cleanser? Don't cleansers also remove dead skin cells that clog pores?

Unless the cleanser has exfoliating stuff in it (like exfoliating beads or grains) then all they do is remove the dirt and grime and open your pores. Youll want a separate cleanser and a separate exfoliate. Dont exfoliate more than 3 times a week. Cleanse twice a day every day. Pat dry. Dont rub the towel. Be gentle with your skin. It will return the favor. And you definitely need to moisturize after your exfoliate.

Unless the cleanser has exfoliating stuff in it (like exfoliating beads or grains) then all they do is remove the dirt and grime and open your pores. Youll want a separate cleanser and a separate exfoliate. Dont exfoliate more than 3 times a week. Cleanse twice a day every day. Pat dry. Dont rub the towel. Be gentle with your skin. It will return the favor. And you definitely need to moisturize after your exfoliate.

Ahh ok thanks for clarifying. So If I continue to use a Cleanser/Moisturizer/Toner/Exfoliator/ regime, will it help with my acne? I mainly have acne scars, not actually acne.

Scars? Are they indented or just red marks? Theres a big difference in red marks and actual scars.

Scars? Are they indented or just red marks? Theres a big difference in red marks and actual scars.

Red marks mainly, with some slight indent scars. Here is a recent photo.

3l0ev.jpg

I personally would go to a dermatologist. Youll want a retinoid for all that. Just cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, etc wont clear you up. It will prevent new acne. but you kind of need something strong. Tazorac cream would be a good one for you. Get a derm appt though.

I personally would go to a dermatologist. Youll want a retinoid for all that. Just cleansing, exfoliating, moisturizing, etc wont clear you up. It will prevent new acne. but you kind of need something strong. Tazorac cream would be a good one for you. Get a derm appt though.

That won't work sadly. I was on Tazorac for 2 years as well as another topical cream and it managed to clear up most of my acne, but now all these scars still remain..

There are people here who have been on retinoids much longer...I wouldn't stop after 2 years.

Anyway, exfoliation and acids will help very minor scarring and can help new acne from forming, but it won't help your indented scarring at all. Here is what I do to treat acne and scarring at the same time:

Morning:

1. Wash face with water only and lightly massage with clean washcloth

2. Take vitamin D-3 (5,000 IU) and vitamin E (400 IU)

Evening:

I alternate my nightly cleansing routine every other day.

1. "A" day: Cleanse with Clarisonic tool and CeraVe cleanser.

"B" day: Steam face and use oil cleansing method with 70% jojoba/30% castor oil.

2. Every night I apply my retinoid, wait 15 minutes, and then apply CeraVe moisturizer.

3. Take another dose of Vitamin D-3 and Vitamin E

Edited by Green Gables