Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rjavi10

Anybody Else Ever Skip Work/school Because Of Acne?

Honestly no, I have never skipped school just because my face was looking bad...which, it looked bad everyday. I guess I just became SO use to my face looking like crap, I kinda stopped caring.

My acne doesn't prevent me from going out places but it does kinda prevent me from talking to people face to face =/ I need to work on that.

But you shouldn't let acne prevent you from going out!!

When I had a boyfriend I would still hang out with him with my cysts. But I talked a lot about how much my skin bothered me, and later he threw my acne in my face mocked my skin, (even though he knew how bad my acne was effecting me) and realized he did not give a shit about me. I Immediately broke up with him.

Edited by LillyMay77

Honestly no, I have never skipped school just because my face was looking bad...which, it looked bad everyday. I guess I just became SO use to my face looking like crap, I kinda stopped caring.

My acne doesn't prevent me from going out places but it does kinda prevent me from talking to people face to face =/ I need to work on that.

But you shouldn't let acne prevent you from going out!!

if your acne didnt stop you from going somewhere, then it wasnt bad enough.

I've started skipping whole days of school, pretending I'm 'ill' because of my skin. Even when I am at school, all I can think about all day is "I wonder how my face looks right now?" or "I bet they're looking at my awful skin" :(. Thoughts about acne consume so much of my life and it makes me feel so low.

I used to skip college a lot when I was 17/18 because I was too embarrassed by it. It didn't help that I didn't know how to take care of my skin and used a lot of make up incorrectly, therefore making it look worse with so much cakiness and unevenness (it looked a right mess) and by clogging it as I didn't remove it properly or take care of my skin. It was a really hard time in my life and I would often get ready to go in the morning but then I would see myself in the mirror and feel disgusted at the sight of me, I would stay at home crying. I'm 20 now and I have learned lots of things to help conceal it completely and how to take care of my skin better so it doesn't look so bad. I still get my bad days but not bad enough that I miss work or college. Oh I should mention I actually dropped out of college when I was 17 because I couldn't face it anymore due to my face. Now I have started again and I'm nearly finished with it! Yay!

I don't normally skip too much but it does consume a lot of my thoughts when I am in college, like how bad it is all the time, I also worry about how greasy it looks constantly since it is awful for greasiness.

Today I did skip it though, yesterday I had a cyst on my eyebrow - nothing new I am used to that - but I woke up this morning and couldn't open my right eye properly, looked in the mirror and saw my eye had swollen up completely! I can deal with my skin mostly from day to day but that was the final straw, how the hell am I supposed to explain that to everyone at college? It looks like I got punched in the eye, except there aren't any bruise marks... I wonder why it has to be me of all the people in the world...

I am conscious of how my skin appears but I've never skipped uni because of how bad it is. Once I'm there at uni, I'm not focusing on my skin the whole time - I'm busy trying to retain information and stay awake in lectures tongue.png And if I am feeling bad about my skin I can relax a little knowing that I'll be sitting in a dark lecture hall for 2-3 hours so no one can see my skin anyway. tongue.png

Edit: -- Just thought I'd add that acne hasn't really made me skip things like school / uni / work (though I think the work I was doing a few months ago made my skin worse due to stress) but I've avoided / skipped out on social events because of my acne.

Edited by Lilly75

I can totally relate to this topic, I can't count how many times I have skipped out on school or special occassions because of my acne insecurities. I really tried my best not to be absent at school when my face was breaking out constantly. I even stopped looking at myself in the mirror so I wouldn't know how bad my acne was. But then I would see myself in a reflection of a car window and just mentally breakdown. I don't understand why I struggle so much with what people think of me. I never use to be so insecure of who I am as a person. It's like wtf! Man up!!!!!

My first year of college was basically wasted because of acne, I still got 3.5 but wasted in a sense that I really didn't have fun. I didn't go out a lot because the acne was horrible, I didn't want to have people just stare at my pimples the whole time were talking so I just didn't put my self in a position to feel bad. It's good to have great friends tho who are always down to chill

yeaah i try to not look at myself in the mirror before i go college then i will feel more confident leaving the house. if i see my reflection in the mirror i would just break down crying and run back in bed and sleeep. life goes on.

Ive been with my boyfriend for nearly 2 years and sometimes I only see him once a month! That's how bad it gets coz I'm constantly worried about my face :( whenever we meet I make sure it's not Anywher where there is direct sunlight and I'm only around indoor light! I rarely look him in the face and I know he loves me regardless and tbh my acne isn't thatttt bad but I'm so self conscious even around the ppl I should be myself with! One of these days I feel like he'l leave me if he saw me properly face to face! Am I crazy for thinking like this?

I know how much acne can affect your confidence and self-esteem in social settings, especially at school where people can be mean. comfort.gif

Even if your skin can't look great, if you're that bothered about your appearence just have really amazing hair and clothes. hifive.gif

You might just want to look normal and not stand out, but if you think your acne is going to make you stand out anyway - make sure you look great in spite of your skin. Be cool. Then your spots will be cool too.

Also, I actually find wearing concealer dries out spots as well as covering them up, so you can always wear that. 'Witch' do a good range of make up for people with spot prone skin. Yes, even boys can wear it.

Skipping school is a really bad idea... a few hours/days/months/years on and you won't give a shit about what anyone there thought of you. So just say Fuck it and make the most of your days of education. teehee.gif

Go to school and learn while you can smile.png Then you'll be even more beautiful and even more smart by the time your spots have gone. Over-coming feelings of embarrassment, shame or even self hate because of your acne can make you a very strong and confident person on a much deeper level, so be grateful for the opportunity to learn this lesson.

Edited by kesley

Yes, I've skipped way too many classes for bad skin days. It's awful. I hate letting my skin affect me that much. But most of the time, I just try to force myself to go. 99% of people don't give a shit about other people's faces, and if they do, they're weird. No one's ever made a mean comment to me in public either, thankfully. I just try to tell myself no one's skin is perfect and I just go.

I really want to skip class tomorrow 'cause of 3 new pimple I have.. none of the students saw my new ones yet as I only take this class twice a week.

Yes, I've skipped way too many classes for bad skin days. It's awful. I hate letting my skin affect me that much. But most of the time, I just try to force myself to go. 99% of people don't give a shit about other people's faces, and if they do, they're weird. No one's ever made a mean comment to me in public either, thankfully. I just try to tell myself no one's skin is perfect and I just go.

Edited by Ghostunit