Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondegirl21

IS there ANY HOPE?Accutane 3 times & here I am

This.......I know that there are alot more important things in life to worry about, but acne is soo hard on a person, and you have to have it to understand. Anyway, Its been almost a year since I came off accutane for the 3rd time, and of course, like usual, my acne has started to come back and my face is so ridicolously greasy.

I feel like theres no way out. If I went on accutane again, it will just be the same, Ill be clear for a little bit, but eventually back to this. I have BAD acne cysts, if it were just "pimples" here and there, I reallty would be happy, but the zits I get are the HUGE red, swollen things that are impossible to cover and they last for a long time.

I feel like Im jeckel and hyde, cause without acne, I feel so pretty, everyones always telling me so, and I just have all this confidence like I can do anything. Everyday is great, I wake up with nice skin, makeup is fun to put on, and I look good, and do things with friends. When I have cysts like I do now, I totally change. Its like theres this dark cloud over me, and no matter how good everything else is, these cysts all over my face keep me from being able to be happy over anything. If I look bad, everything else is bad too.

It really ruins your life. Anyway, Im sure that most of you all know exactly how I feel cause you have this problem also, so what I really want to know is, IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP THIS? If I could just have a less severe case of acne, Id be SO happy. NOTHING works, I just got done trying SPIRO, I had to stop cause it was giving me heart palptations, I didnt want to die. Anyway, Id pay even $5000 to have clear skin, Id give everthing I could, thats how much it means to me, I dont want the rest of my life to be miserable and me miss out on everything like I have the past 9 years, PLEASE, someone help and tell me something I dont know!!!!! Thanks for listening smile.gif

Hi Bg21,

I can totally relate, when I get those cysts I am a totally different person. Im 32 and I just started Accutane for the first time. You didnt mention how you were on accutane, how were your sides?

The only thing I see on the horizon is that doctor who is working on that gel that attacks the acne bacteria. I think the thread is called p-acne gene mapped or somthing here. Still, If it works, its years away.

So my advice would be, If your liver is in good shape, and your sides arent so bad, I would do another course. You might want to look into liver cleansing or something.

You never know, 4 times may be the charm for you...

This.......I know that there are alot more important things in life to worry about, but acne is soo hard on a person, and you have to have it to understand. Anyway, Its been almost a year since I came off accutane for the 3rd time, and of course, like usual, my acne has started to come back and my face is so ridicolously greasy.

I feel like theres no way out. If I went on accutane again, it will just be the same, Ill be clear for a little bit, but eventually back to this. I have BAD acne cysts, if it were just "pimples" here and there, I reallty would be happy, but the zits I get are the HUGE red, swollen things that are impossible to cover and they last for a long time.

I feel like Im jeckel and hyde, cause without acne, I feel so pretty, everyones always telling me so, and I just have all this confidence like I can do anything. Everyday is great, I wake up with nice skin, makeup is fun to put on, and I look good, and do things with friends. When I have cysts like I do now, I totally change. Its like theres this dark cloud over me, and no matter how good everything else is, these cysts all over my face keep me from being able to be happy over anything. If I look bad, everything else is bad too.

It really ruins your life. Anyway, Im sure that most of you all know exactly how I feel cause you have this problem also, so what I really want to know is, IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP THIS? If I could just have a less severe case of acne, Id be SO happy. NOTHING works, I just got done trying SPIRO, I had to stop cause it was giving me heart palptations, I didnt want to die. Anyway, Id pay even $5000 to have clear skin, Id give everthing I could, thats how much it means to me, I dont want the rest of my life to be miserable and me miss out on everything like I have the past 9 years, PLEASE, someone help and tell me something I dont know!!!!! Thanks for listening smile.gif

Hi Bg21,

I can totally relate, when I get those cysts I am a totally different person. Im 32 and I just started Accutane for the first time. You didnt mention how you were on accutane, how were your sides?

The only thing I see on the horizon is that doctor who is working on that gel that attacks the acne bacteria. I think the thread is called p-acne gene mapped or somthing here.  Still, If it works, its years away.

So my advice would be, If your liver is in good shape, and your sides arent so bad, I would do another course. You might want to look into liver cleansing or something.

You never know, 4 times may be the charm for you...

Hey there,

have you got a endo work up done? Also, with your treatment of accutane, how much was the total dosage you got per treatment? (That is, if you took 50 mg/day for 4 months and you weighed 50 kg......your total dosage would be 50 x 4 x 30 = 6000 mg)...

There is hope. A new procedure combining Levulan (topical ALA) with PDT (Photodynamic Therapy) is achieving great results. It is not yet FDA approved for the treatment of acne so it may not be covered by insurance (although some carriers do cover it). It's what is termed an "off label" application. Consult your dermatologist. Treatments are approx $350 each and typical course requires 3-4 treatments 2-3 weeks apart. Good luck! wink.gif

There is hope. A new procedure combining Levulan (topical ALA) with PDT (Photodynamic Therapy) is achieving great results. It is not yet FDA approved for the treatment of acne so it may not be covered by insurance (although some carriers do cover it). It's what is termed an "off label" application.  Consult your dermatologist. Treatments are approx $350 each and typical course requires 3-4 treatments 2-3 weeks apart.  Good luck! wink.gif

Our doctor is using this now and getting good results.  I'm wondering if it works well for dark complexions though.  I think I would try something like this before a 4th course of accutane.  There is also an accutane journal by a girl I read who kept having to go back on accutane (4 or 5 times) and then cured herself with natural methods.  I'll look for it and then come back and tell you where to look if you're interested.

I'm back.  It's Clara's Accutane Journal.  You can get to it on google.  At the end of it she tells what she discovered.  It's pretty interesting.

There is hope. A new procedure combining Levulan (topical ALA) with PDT (Photodynamic Therapy) is achieving great results. It is not yet FDA approved for the treatment of acne so it may not be covered by insurance (although some carriers do cover it). It's what is termed an "off label" application.  Consult your dermatologist. Treatments are approx $350 each and typical course requires 3-4 treatments 2-3 weeks apart.  Good luck! wink.gif

YES! I do, maybe you could also give me the addy, and I could do a mapquest to see how far away it is! And how much does he charge? Im wondering if this treatment is permanent, cause if so, then the $$ would be well worth it, but if the effects wear off, then it will just be like accutane, clear for awhile and then in the long run, just $$$ thrown away. smile.gif

The main thing that I want to know about this, is if the results are permanent? Spending $350 everytime It wore off wouldnt work for me sad.gif You say a typical course is 3-4 times, well hopefully its permanenote]

From what I've read, results should last approx 6 months. At your age, it won't be a lifetime investment. You'll probably outgrow this soon. And. they are always coming up with new procedures. So, dont despair.

The main thing that I want to know about this, is if the results are permanent? Spending $350 everytime It wore off wouldnt work for me sad.gif You say a typical course is 3-4 times, well hopefully its permanenote]

From what I've read, results should last approx 6 months. At your age, it won't be a lifetime investment. You'll probably outgrow this soon. And. they are always coming up with new procedures. So, dont despair.

Three levulan treatments made my son's cystic acne worse looking. The only thing that has even remotely worked is diet.