Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girl3900

My 12% success

I need to share my excitement with someone! I've had 9 moderate/shallow rolling, saucer-type scars on my cheeks that i've been trying to get rid of for months. I decided to do spot treatments (I don't know if it'd be considered cross since it's such a low percentage) on all 9 of them. I took the cotton off a qtip and used the end to put the acid on..smearing the tca across the scar with the qtip wasn't doing anything. With this technique, I was able to get it to "pool" in the scar. Seems a bit dangerous but this is a safe percentage I'd assume. I filled the scars in twice with the tca. A week later, I still have some scabs but most have fallen off. It's extremely crucial not to accidently pull them off. I've been prepping my skin with retin-a to get the best possible results. I was quite nervous waiting for the scabs to fall off. I wasn't sure if the scars were going to be deeper but they're about 95% improved. I know it's not the swelling because it's been a while.

Of the 9 scars, I only have 2 very mild ones left. I'm very happy about my results. I would go so far as to say it doesn't even look like I suffered from scars at all. I used to be able to feel two of them but those are gone also. I hope my skin stays this way. I can't imagine them coming back but it seems as if people think they will. Either way, I'm very excited. Just wanted to give some people hope. smile.gif

Hi, I'm very happy for your success, and I do have a couple of questions.

What was the percantage of TCA that you used?

You said that you still have some scabs, but you also said that they are 95% improved. How could you judge this with fresh scabs still there? I really do think that your hopes may be raised a bit too high, and that you may have less improvement in the end. I don't want to be a party pooper though. For any success that you do end up with, Congrats!

Guest Tracy

She says she used 12% in the thread title, old guy.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, but;

Is it better to put Retin-A on the TCA scabs or polysporin/neosporin?

Oh! hehe (duh) Thanks, Tracy.

Q: Is it better to put Retin-A on the TCA scabs or polysporin/neosporin?

A: polysporin/neosporin

Never put anything harsh on freshly damaged skin.

Guest Tracy
Where did you get the TCA from? Can anyone give me recomendations on that?

Thanks,

Thiago

Well I did one scar on my other cheek to test it out about a month ago and the size has dramatically changed. It's hardly noticeable at all. I've also had a few very minor scars (I did the same procedure on these) that I haven't touched in months and they're completely gone. Why do you say the results are only temporary? I really hope not.

girl3900, Me? I really hope not too! I guess I was a bit lost when you said "I still have some scabs." I can't chastise you for being obtuse though because you're represented by such a cute kitten. wub.gif Whether it lasts or not, I think you really found something that works and I’m really happy for your success. Makes me hope the TCA I ordered gets here soon. Stupid post office – I probably won’t get it now before the hurricane that is coming here later tonight.

Makes me hope the TCA I ordered gets here soon. Stupid post office – I probably won’t get it now before the hurricane that is coming here later tonight.

Hi Oldguy,

Where did you order your TCA??And what %?I need some help/instructions in using this DIY treatment.How long should I use retin-A for to prep my skin for TCA?ANy good products to recommend along with TCA Cross,....eg.moisturizers after TCA??Thanks

Could you please help me too?I'd like to know if TCA spot treatment can be done without using the cross method,I have some shallow scars and I'm going to trat them with 12% TCA but not cross,they are too shallow...

Tofu, I ordered 100% TCA from peelsondemand.com. I don't know about the retin-A, I doubt it matters that much one way or the other. After a TCA peel you could use polysporin, neosporin, aquafor, or vaseline.

LIQUIFY, I don't see why you couldn't try spot treating, although chemical peels don't do much for atrophic scars. To be perfectly clear, I have never used TCA - I just read a lot (probably too much.) smile.gif

"I've also had a few very minor scars (I did the same procedure on these) that I haven't touched in months and they're completely gone. Why do you say the results are only temporary? I really hope not"

If it's been months since you treated them and the improvement is still the same, I'd say it's permanent. That's very encouraging! Do you have before/after pics?

I apologize my ignorance, i am new in this, could you please be so kind to explain what is the difference between "spot treatment" and "cross" ones?

What I eman is this: Did you still use the same kind of TCA on the scars but in a different technique to get the difference in your results? Or is a totally different product and method, the "spot treatment??

I appreciate if you clarify, i want to try it. I have tried everything, even ioalcamid filler, but nothing has changed,

Also you say you used 100% TCA? Isn't that too strong? I did not know that it can go higher than 65%, can you advise?

Hey thank you so much

Camina

[email protected]

I need to share my excitement with someone! I've had 9 moderate/shallow rolling, saucer-type scars on my cheeks that i've been trying to get rid of for months. I decided to do spot treatments (I don't know if it'd be considered cross since it's such a low percentage) on all 9 of them. I took the cotton off a qtip and used the end to put the acid on..smearing the tca across the scar with the qtip wasn't doing anything. With this technique, I was able to get it to "pool" in the scar. Seems a bit dangerous but this is a safe percentage I'd assume. I filled the scars in twice with the tca. A week later, I still have some scabs but most have fallen off. It's extremely crucial not to accidently pull them off. I've been prepping my skin with retin-a to get the best possible results. I was quite nervous waiting for the scabs to fall off. I wasn't sure if the scars were going to be deeper but they're about 95% improved. I know it's not the swelling because it's been a while.

Of the 9 scars, I only have 2 very mild ones left. I'm very happy about my results. I would go so far as to say it doesn't even look like I suffered from scars at all. I used to be able to feel two of them but those are gone also. I hope my skin stays this way. I can't imagine them coming back but it seems as if people think they will. Either way, I'm very excited. Just wanted to give some people hope.  smile.gif

I've never used 100% on my face...

I say "spot treatment" because it was such a low percentage. If it were 50%+ I guess it would be considered a "cross". The difference in application with a low percentage is that I don't have to be as careful to not get the tca on good skin....I can just apply it with a qtip. It's the same type of tca, just a low strength.

My results aren't as good as when I posted this. I should have waited a few weeks to see the geniune outcome because things always start to go downhill after your skin has a chance to bounce back from the peel. Overall, I'd say I got a 15-20% improvement. I won't jump to conclusions next time. That's the only thing I hate with this. I'll look great for 2 weeks and then they're back, damnit.

Sorry but I warned you that this would happen sad.gif It can be devastating for people to see their scars sink back in. Everyone should expect that with all acne scar treatments.

I won't jump to conclusions next time.

Girl 3900,

What type of scars and depth did u have to begin with? I think you said moderate to shallow rolling scars, did u have any ice pick scars.

Also, I can't tell for sure if my daughter has ice pick scars or just enlarged pores. I think they are enlarged pores, because they are not very deep.

Would TCA cross be good for her scars?

Girl3900:

Don't be discouraged! You at least had some level of improvement, and although the swelling initially can be deceiving, things at least *did* improve and didn't get worse. And your skin could still be rebuilding itself even now. You might want to give it another month or two and see how things go. Any improvement is good, IMO. Sometimes, even though those scars look like they're back, it's great to know you can do something about them that will gradually fade them into nothing.

Agoff:

Ice pick scars look more like a little straight apostrophe indenting the skin. Scarred/enlarged pores will be more rounded. I think TCA cross could work on those types of scars. If they are shallow, I would try 50% TCA before going up to 100%. I think 100% is only for the brave or those who need a more drastic scar improvement. 100% can do a number on you if you're not careful.

And in general: "spot treatment" would differ from CROSS in that for a spot treatment, you are just applying the peel to specific areas, such as just your cheeks or jawline (not full face) with an applicator that will allow you to target scarred areas (like a Q-tip), but with a spot treatment, you'd use a concentration of TCA that isn't too strong and won't harm normal skin (6, 12.5, and 25% TCA would be good for spot treatments. You don't need to be paranoid about where you apply a "spot treatment" because it won't hurt normal skin, just cause it to peel. CROSS is very targeted, and usually the best percentages of TCA for this are 50% and above (the formal paper on CROSS used 65% and 100%) and you are carefully applying the acid directly into a scar (and NOT the surrounding skin) to penetrate into the scar tissue and cause it to remodel over time. CROSS could conceivably be done with lower percentages like 12.5%, but the results will not be as good as with higher percentages.

~Kat

Yes, I have mild-moderate rollings on my cheeks.

There was some improvement but to go from 100% improvement to about 5% in a matter of a few days is really discouraging. It really does depress me even more to go from having such great looking skin and then to have them back a few weeks later. I'm not sure if I want to do these anymore for that reason. I'm gonna try a few 50%'s and if that doesn't work, screw it. sad.gif