Notifications
Clear all

Is Anyone Else Scared Of The Dentist Because Of Your Acne?

MemberMember
(@carmusen)

Posted : 04/16/2012 3:12 pm

I don't like going to the dentist NOT because I'm scared for my teeth to hurt, but because of the HOSE that sprays water. I use Dan's Regimen to cover the redness of my acne and to fill in the holes of my acne scars so I can't go out without putting that on my face.

However, the hose sprays water on my face, which makes white liquid dripping down all over my face when mixed with the acne medication. Sometimes it also cakes the acne medication when I have my mouth opened for a long period of time. Maybe it's the same with acne and girls?

One time I was done and I was told to sit up. I looked at the mirror and there was white shit all over my face. :( It's especially a bitch when you have braces and you have to go every month.

MemberMember
(@avenger)

Posted : 04/16/2012 4:25 pm

I actually enjoy the dentist. I like the after taste that dentist gloves leaves behind... I may just be the only one tongue.png

Perhaps you could book early appointments so you can do the regimen after you get back from the dentist?

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 04/16/2012 6:01 pm

Just only do the regimen afterward :)

I thought this post was going to be about anxiety over having someone close to your face and seeing everything! I know I get like that

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 04/16/2012 6:12 pm

OMG YUS!!!! But no more because my dentist told me that he suffered the same thing on his teens (AND HIS WAS WORSE!). After he told me his experience I just slep there for an hour until the cleaning process was finish.

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 04/16/2012 8:15 pm

Yes I think this is a subject that chin-acne-sufferers will worry about. I absolutely hate the dentist. I just had an appointment like 2 weeks ago. I got got absolutely torn up. My lips became red and raw, my chin got flaky and sore. It is just always a bad day when I have to go to the dentist.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 04/17/2012 1:11 pm

Agreed!!!!!! GAH. If there is one thing in the world I hate most it is the dentist, ortho whatever.. working inside my mouth is a fuckin pain in the ass.

Thank god my skin is fine now but when I used to be on the regimen with BP, and my face would cake and have flakes all over it, going to the dentist was the worst. i had braces too, and yeah absolutely horrible. every time they would rip my mouth apart trying to do whatever, and stretching the skin just caused hell on my skin, and would cause new pimples surely to come.

BP is just terrible though. Everyone needs to quit that stuff. WIll just make you have acne for life and fucks up your skin FOR LIFE. Your chances of scarring sky rocket when on BP. Gotta let your skin heal naturally, wash once a day with distilled water and sea salt, ACV if ya want as a toner.

MemberMember
(@icefairy88)

Posted : 04/17/2012 10:13 pm

Well i hate the dentist, but for other reasons..usually because whenever i go, i've broken out around my mouth, so i get super self conscious. Oh, and can't forget about the really bright light they shine right on your face! I bet they can see every little mark on my face. Bleh :(

MemberMember
(@carmusen)

Posted : 04/18/2012 6:22 pm

Agreed!!!!!! GAH. If there is one thing in the world I hate most it is the dentist, ortho whatever.. working inside my mouth is a fuckin pain in the ass.

Thank god my skin is fine now but when I used to be on the regimen with BP, and my face would cake and have flakes all over it, going to the dentist was the worst. i had braces too, and yeah absolutely horrible. every time they would rip my mouth apart trying to do whatever, and stretching the skin just caused hell on my skin, and would cause new pimples surely to come.

BP is just terrible though. Everyone needs to quit that stuff. WIll just make you have acne for life and fucks up your skin FOR LIFE. Your chances of scarring sky rocket when on BP. Gotta let your skin heal naturally, wash once a day with distilled water and sea salt, ACV if ya want as a toner.

I love you.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 04/18/2012 9:17 pm

I love you too. Hope your a girl. If not share the bromance hifive.gif

MemberMember
(@dukebluedevils)

Posted : 04/20/2012 3:56 am

The dentist(s) probably think I'm weird when they ask if I want to see my teeth in the handheld mirror they have and I decline because I don't want to see my face.

MemberMember
(@carmusen)

Posted : 04/20/2012 4:22 pm

^HAHA, I do that too! They always give me a mirror and I just look to the side of it.

MemberMember
(@babyhilts)

Posted : 04/21/2012 12:31 am

Wow, this is so ironic because I literally just came back from the dentist today. Actually, I've been to a few different dentists a lot in the last month or so, so I've had a lot of this going on. I hate having people too close to my face because it makes me incredibly self conscious and the dentist is like the definition of up close and personal. I also have braces, so every so many weeks there's another appointment :P I especially love when they want to show you what they did so they give you the handheld mirror because all I can see is the marks under my makeup. Ugh. And when I get x-rays of my mouth done and I have to stand in place, when I look straight ahead there' s a mirror really close to my face. Perfect!

Funny story, sort of. About a month and a half ago, I went in to have my last two wisdom teeth taken out. My skin was really bad and I refused to go in without makeup, even though I knew how sore I'd be when I left. Anyway, I was awake for the entire hour it took to drill etc. I felt blood splash back on my face(not to freak anyone out because although it sounds gory, it was perfectly fine and I'm a wuss with dentists). Anyway, when they were done the nurse started wiping my face down, wiping off my makeup along with the blood. I looked like a mess when I left, half makeup, half blood, half acne. And then about 2 weeks later I needed another surgery done because of my braces and my f'ed up teeth and not only did I have an oral surgeon in my face, I had his assitant and a 2nd year med student! Aweomse, right? And when he was done he says, "Sorry, I messed your makeup up a bit."

I'm sort of getting used to this now, although everytime I go, I feel self-concious about it. I just try to ignore the face that someone's face is right close to mine and can see everything. It bothered me a lot more in the beginning and when there are serious breakouts and I have to do it, it bothers me more but trust me, I'm right there with you.

MemberMember
(@jennyband)

Posted : 04/25/2012 12:17 am

haha yes, i refuse to go until i'm finished accutane. could you imagine how ripped up my lips will be if i go now!?? i laughed when i saw that someone else was scared of the dentist because of their acne, and not the pain most people would be scared of.

acne.org unites us.

JB

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 04/25/2012 7:14 am

Not scared to go, but I'm terrified of the bill he usually gives me afterwards. I've got to go tomorrow actually and I think I'm going to need some work doing. No doubt he'll want to charge me a fortune for inflicting untold amounts of pain. The sadistic sumbitch!

MemberMember
(@opeggygordon)

Posted : 04/25/2012 8:29 am

Not scared to go, but I'm terrified of the bill he usually gives me afterwards. I've got to go tomorrow actually and I think I'm going to need some work doing. No doubt he'll want to charge me a fortune for inflicting untold amounts of pain. The sadistic sumbitch! lol.gif

haha same here...as you put so poetically. Love you paul :-)

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 04/26/2012 3:53 pm

So, I went to see my dentist today and, even though I'm a little broken out and my skin's rather dry - something which feels a million times worse once you've opened your mouth as wide as is possible so the dentist can torture your poor teeth - I never once thought about my skin.

I'd never really considered it before, but now I can say that all I thought of was, 'It's annoying how his assistant is really attractive because it's impossible for me to look cool she's handed me these stupid glasses to wear!' That, and, 'This guy can see right up my nose!' lol.gif

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 04/27/2012 9:37 am

My dentist's breath stunk last time I went....neutral.gif

MemberMember
(@carmusen)

Posted : 12/04/2012 1:15 pm

I'm going to the orthodontist today to have the wiring on my braces changed. I'm wondering whether I should just go bare and not wear makeup. I've never let anyone see my face without makeup except family members!!!

MemberMember
(@j0sephine)

Posted : 12/06/2012 10:17 pm

i usually do not going to the dentist because the lighting is super bright and im scared of my dentist judging my skin!

MemberMember
(@elfen-sparrow)

Posted : 12/07/2012 10:44 pm

Going to the dentist is the absolute worst. The awful bright lightening, the close contact, the hygienist being able to scrutinize your skin in full detail, and then there's the stretching of skin from having to open your mouth so wide.

Just recently I went to the dentist, having woken up that morning fully dreading the visit (I was having one of those bad skin days). The appointment was tolerable and I was able to pretend my acne wasn't that noteworthy (although I hated having to take an x-ray, since you need to put your forehead against that piece of plastic to hold your head in place), but then my dentist came in and began observing my teeth. The first thing out of her was "seems you have a bit of an acne problem" and then proceeded to begin touching my chin with the gloved hands that were just in my mouth. She then started asking what I was using to treat it and whatnot. Although I've managed to remain relatively calm in these type of situations, I'm still a pathetic quivering mess on the inside. So I quickly brushed it off with easy indifference, even though my cheeks were probably red with embarrassment (especially since this was all in front of the hygienist, who had flawless skin and seemed to act like my acne was the elephant in the room for the past half hour). Overall, not a great visit dry.png

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 12/07/2012 11:54 pm

YES!! Haha, Sometimes I'm a little bit of a jerk and I tell them to please avoid touching my face.. I'm not willing to have a bunch of cysts by mouth and chin after the dentist!!

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 12/08/2012 3:57 am

Going to the dentist is the absolute worst. The awful bright lightening, the close contact, the hygienist being able to scrutinize your skin in full detail, and then there's the stretching of skin from having to open your mouth so wide.

Just recently I went to the dentist, having woken up that morning fully dreading the visit (I was having one of those bad skin days). The appointment was tolerable and I was able to pretend my acne wasn't that noteworthy (although I hated having to take an x-ray, since you need to put your forehead against that piece of plastic to hold your head in place), but then my dentist came in and began observing my teeth. The first thing out of her was "seems you have a bit of an acne problem" and then proceeded to begin touching my chin with the gloved hands that were just in my mouth. She then started asking what I was using to treat it and whatnot. Although I've managed to remain relatively calm in these type of situations, I'm still a pathetic quivering mess on the inside. So I quickly brushed it off with easy indifference, even though my cheeks were probably red with embarrassment (especially since this was all in front of the hygienist, who had flawless skin and seemed to act like my acne was the elephant in the room for the past half hour). Overall, not a great visit dry.png

I think that your dentist was bang out of order and unprofessional. They`re a dentist not a dermatologist and should comment on your teeth, mouth and gums only and keep quiet about anything else.

I hate the dentist and always dread to think what monstrosities the ultra-bright lamp that is shined right in your face is revealing.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/08/2012 3:52 pm

Sparrow, that's awful! She should have kept her mouth closed (if you'll excuse the pun).

I felt weird about dentist appointments for a reason different to the lighting when my acne was at its worst. Funnily enough I never thought about the light or being that close to the dentist (but I've known him for a very long time, and he's a pretty sensitive and nice guy). I did however hate having braces and acne at the same time, if only because I believe that both things are stereotypically associated with young teenagers, and I was an adult. My braces are out now though and my teeth aren't the embarassing things they once were, so I feel like my smile distracts from my PIH now. grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@babyhilts)

Posted : 12/12/2012 5:33 am

I thought I would add once again to this thread, just because I love that I'm not the only one who hates the dentist for other reasons aside from the fact that it's the dentist and he's going to be poking around inside your mouth with sharp objects!

I actually have an ortho appointment next week that I'm crossing my fingers for, hoping my skin remains under control. I've been on a brand of retin a since about August and things seem to be well under control, just tiny little pimples now and then, though my face is covered in redmarks from the innitial breakouts. Anyway, back in September I had an ortho appointment and during that time I'd been on Retin A for a little over a month, my skin was slightly broken out and trying to clear from it's first innitial breakout out and on top of that I was extremely dry. Dry to the point that if you try to smile the skin around your mouth cracks. It was all over my chin and above my mouth where the breakouts were so I was feeling horrible when I went in for my braces. I gave myself a little pep talk before hand and figured, "Who cares, it's only 20 mins and then it's over no big deal." But as my ortho was trying to change my wires my mouth refused to open wide enough because it was so stiff and so so so dry that he literally cracked and bleed! Ugh! My ortho even said to me midway through, "Oh, you're bleeding a little, you're a little dry here I guess. Must be that time of year with all this dry weather." I just went along with it, but inside I was so embarrassed.

The worst moments of any dentist/ortho appointment for me is when they insist on handing you one of thos handheld mirrors and shoving it right in your face, under that all revealing, bright light, to point out what to do with your teeth or what they just did. I get to see all my flaws and they look 100x worse under that lighting and up until the point that they hand me that mirror, I act all oblivious to how my skin is. I can live in a sort of comfortable denial and think, "It's not so bad," and then come the mirror. :P

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:13 pm

This is so ironic. I was at the dentist about 4 months ago for a bunch of cavities and a root canal, and I guess since it was a lot of work and very stressful on my mouth, I broke out all around my mouth and chin. I've been trying to figure out if it was just a lot of work being done and that irritated my skin or maybe I'm sensitive to something they were putting in my mouth? Fluoride allergy? Who knows. But I was suppose to go back for a check up after and never went because I was scared of making my already broken out face worse LOL. Pathetic. I'm not going in tomorrow for my check up... 4 months later hahaha. SO SCARED.