Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jhannah

Best Liquid Foundation Or Concealer For Acne Prone Skin?

Hi, i have a hard time finding a liquid foundation/concealer that is suitable for acne prone skin. Ive seen a couple of products that says "mineral" but then of course there are some bad reviews about them.

Right now, i havent seen any bad reviews on this product called: Lumene Double Stay Mineral Makeup normal and dry

Anyone who are using it? or has used it?

What do you guys use, and ow is it working for you? Do you find them breaking you out?

Really appreciate some help and opinions here. Hugs and kisses!!!!:)

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum cover foundation - it's quite a thick foundation but my god it covers very well, when I tell people that I suffer from spots they are truly amazed as it does cover my spots very well!

It would probably be classed as camoflage make up to some and some may say that it's too thick - therefore clogging pores but for the first year I suffered from acne I actually wore no make up to work and wore it when I went out socially - anyway my acne was worse back then and that was wearing no make up for at least 5 days a week, I now wear make up to work all of the time and when I dont wear my foundation I feel my skin gets bad. I actually feel as though this stuff does my skin good.

I use Make Up Forever's camouflage palette, it hasn't broken me out however it contains a lot of different oils that your skin could possibly react to. I suggest reading the ingredients on any products you're planning to put on your face. When you figure out what works and doesn't work for your skin, buying cosmetics become a lot easier :)

i agree with the other posters when they say researching ingredients n figuring out what wrks for you is best. but that's a pain to do, so i'm not going to say i pay close attention to everything that i use.

what i like is revlon colorstay liquid. the normal and combo formulations work the same for me. before the foundation, i use a moisturizer n primer. purpose moisturizer..n rimmel fix & pro. i use the one with the blue cap. i'm fickle when it comes to moisturizer..but the purpose one feels really nice on the skin, and it absorbs really well ; )

then i buff the foundation with a powder brush from e.l.f. i have to be careful not to apply too much product to the brush because then it gets cakey. a little amount works just fine bc you can achieve moderate to heavy coverage with it.

the thing about this foundation is it's really thick. i make sure to take it off with a makeup remover. then i also take it off with xtra virgin olive oil. so that's the downside :/ but the lasting power is great. esp if u use a setting powder.

gluck with everything.

Last week I bought the Almay clear complexion liquid foundation. It has 0.6% salicylic acid in it so it is marketed as a foundation that will help heal your acne while you wear it. I haven't been using it long enough to see any difference in my skin from it. I don't think it is breaking me out yet and it hasn't cleared any acne yet. Hopefully at the very least it will not break me out.

I've heard that Almay products are made by the same people that do Revlon. This Almay foundation is supposed to be like the Revlon colourstay foundation except for sensitive / acne prone skin (because almay products usually are aimed toward people with skin and because this particular foundation has salicylic in it)

Before this foundation I was using covergirl tru blend liquid foundation. Almay gives me better coverage but it is harder to remove than the covergirl one which came off easily with water and my cetaphil cleanser. The almay one is thicker and harder to remove. It gives light to medium coverage depending how you apply it. If you used a powder with it you could probably achieve a fuller coverage.

I find any liquid foundation ends up breaking me out and making the oil worse. I use Clinique 'Almost Make-up', it's a pressed powder which you buff on, a bit like mineral make-up. It gives good coverage, helps to mop up oil and has never irritated my skin (all Clinique products are hypo-allergenic and I've never had a problem with them, despite being allergic to everything...). The only downside is that it's quite expensive (about £22 for a smallish compact).

I think the key is finding a foundation that is mostly oil-free. It's unanimous amongst acne experts that oily products used all over the face will cause pimples.

I have been using MAC Matchmaster foundation recently - I really like it, but it sometimes causes a few pimples here and there. I use MAC Studio Finish concealer for my red acne scars, which I love. My new plan is to stay away from foundations altogether and switch to a tinted moisturizer. The coverage will be light, but I am only using it to balance my skin tone, anyway - then I'll just use concealer to hide blemishes and scars. I think that sort of regimen would be best for acne-prone skin.

Edit: I meant Studio Finish, not Studio Fix!

Edited by portofmorrow

The coverage will be light, but I am only using it to balance my skin tone, anyway - then I'll just use concealer to hide blemishes and scars. I think that sort of regimen would be best for acne-prone skin.

This is the best way to go! I feel like people need to really focus on getting a great concealer as opposed to a full coverage foundation which ends up looking more unnatural and mask-like. I love MAC's Studio Finish concealer.

Ack this question is asked so many times. I feel that everyone's skin is different, and so it's really a matter of finding out which foundations/concealers work for your and learning what ingredients would aggravate your skin. As a guideline, I think acne sufferers are usually told to go for makeup that's oil free and noncomedogenic. But then again, that's a guideline... since I've definitely found foundations that aren't listed as noncomedogenic, and one foundation that has oil that works well for me. But that's just me. And I really think following the guideline is a good idea.

I feel that I've seen a lot of people recommend Revlon Colorstay (oily/combination) and its higher end cousin Estee Lauder Double Wear for acne prone skin because it covers well and for a lot of people, doesn't break them out. I feel that these are good foundations to start with, but if they don't work for you (like they didn't for me), it may be good to look for other foundations.

I've never used Lumene, but I've gone through a lot of foundations/concealers and so far settled on a few listed below that work really well on me; none of which break me out so long as I thoroughly remove it at the end of the day. (I use cleansing oil and Purpose Cleanser)

MAC Studio Finish concealer - Full coverage

Everday Minerals Semi Matte - light-medium coverage

Cover FX Powder FX - great buildable coverage

Make Up For Ever HD Foundation - medium coverage

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - medium coverage

Hope this helps!

Edited by adalyn

I used to have really acne prone skin before I started accutane and I used Laura Mercier or Make up HD forever. Tar and hourglass are also good. they all have different textures. I recommend going to the beauty store and seeing which texture you like best. After I started breaking out I had to switch to MAC studio fix which has the most coverage you will find but if your skin is still acne prone I don't recommend any MAC products to use on it, I always had a bad experience with them before I started accutane, now nothing has an effect on my skin.

There's no "best" foundation or concealer -- or any product for that matter. You just have to find what works for you. I've used MAC products for years with no issue.

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum cover foundation - it's quite a thick foundation but my god it covers very well, when I tell people that I suffer from spots they are truly amazed as it does cover my spots very well!

It would probably be classed as camoflage make up to some and some may say that it's too thick - therefore clogging pores but for the first year I suffered from acne I actually wore no make up to work and wore it when I went out socially - anyway my acne was worse back then and that was wearing no make up for at least 5 days a week, I now wear make up to work all of the time and when I dont wear my foundation I feel my skin gets bad. I actually feel as though this stuff does my skin good.

I bought that a couple of weeks ago and omg it is the highest coverage I have had from any foundation - and I have only used heavy foundations. This stuff will cover EVERYTHING - no word of a lie. It does look amazing when you first apply it but I don't think it was suited for me too well, although I think I just didn't give it enough time to work out how to apply it best and I exchanged it for good old Double Wear (the normal one). I only exchanged it because the Maximum Cover only comes in a ridiculous 5 shades and they're all far too pink and dark for my skin, and I felt that it just didn't agree with my skin :( but I absolutely loved the coverage! I would advise anyone suffering from acne to try it out (get a sample though, it's a little pricey).

I have also been using Revlon Colorstay for years with no issue, apart from the shades do not match me and it can clog pores only when you do not remove it well enough (it's hard to remove but if done properly after each time, no clogged pores). The downside is that being an SPF foundation it leaves a white cast in photos with flash.

Mac's Studio Fix fluid is another one I have used - the coverage is lovely, the shade NC20 just about matches me. The only things I don't like about it is that it turns orange on me after a little while, doesn't control oil very well (but I have an extremely oily face that even Revlon Colorstay can't keep at bay), and it does make my skin itch a bit. If it wasn't for that I would wear it. Again leaves a white cast in photos.

Estee Lauder Doublewear is another one I have used and really liked (I have just started using it again). It's Medium - heavy coverage and it's long-lasting. It has beautiful coverage and finish if applied properly (like any foundation you have to find the right way to apply it and the right tool). It's very, very similar to Revlon Colorstay but it is a better quality, it has a nicer finish and better shade selection, imo it covers more than Colorstay and looks more flawless - definitely worth the money. Downside is that it also leaves a white cast in photos, and it is pricey.

For concealers I like MAC's Studio Finish concealer - heavy coverage and it's nice and creamy.

Estee Lauder doublewear liquid concealer is also brilliant - it's heavy coverage and lasts all day.

You can also use the Estee Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover foundation as a concealer and it will last you forever. The foundation is very heavy so you can just use it as a concealer.

Along with some of the other people above, I use MAC Matchmaster foundation. If I don't wear foundation I wear BB cream which is very light and covers well, of course you still need to use concealer.

Last week I bought the Almay clear complexion liquid foundation. It has 0.6% salicylic acid in it so it is marketed as a foundation that will help heal your acne while you wear it. I haven't been using it long enough to see any difference in my skin from it. I don't think it is breaking me out yet and it hasn't cleared any acne yet. Hopefully at the very least it will not break me out.

I've heard that Almay products are made by the same people that do Revlon. This Almay foundation is supposed to be like the Revlon colourstay foundation except for sensitive / acne prone skin (because almay products usually are aimed toward people with skin and because this particular foundation has salicylic in it)

Before this foundation I was using covergirl tru blend liquid foundation. Almay gives me better coverage but it is harder to remove than the covergirl one which came off easily with water and my cetaphil cleanser. The almay one is thicker and harder to remove. It gives light to medium coverage depending how you apply it. If you used a powder with it you could probably achieve a fuller coverage.

I JUST finished my first bottle of this stuff and while it's nice not to breakout from a foundation the thickness is sooo not worth it. The concealer sucks too. I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin, not the acne-prone one, that has absolutely no coverage. But the Healthy Skin stuff is soo dewy looking and I find it hard to set with any type of powder. I don't break out from it and I swear it makes my skin feel healthier!

I also hate hate hate Cetaphil because 1. It's a cream 2. Doesn't wash well enough, though you shouldn't really be washing away all of your essential face oils. But if you're wearing makeup Cetaphil is virtually impossible to use.

I JUST finished my first bottle of this stuff and while it's nice not to breakout from a foundation the thickness is sooo not worth it. The concealer sucks too. I like Neutrogena Healthy Skin, not the acne-prone one, that has absolutely no coverage. But the Healthy Skin stuff is soo dewy looking and I find it hard to set with any type of powder. I don't break out from it and I swear it makes my skin feel healthier!

I also hate hate hate Cetaphil because 1. It's a cream 2. Doesn't wash well enough, though you shouldn't really be washing away all of your essential face oils. But if you're wearing makeup Cetaphil is virtually impossible to use.

I agree! I'm still using the almay foundation but I'm really not loving it. It's not making anything worse but it's also not making it better and like you said, the thickness is not worth it. Pretty sure it looks fairly cakey on me even with a small amount...

I really wanted to try the neutrogena makeup but unfortunately neutrogena doesn't sell their makeup in Australia (as far as I know) so that's why i bought almay - might try buying the neutrogena one online

And yeah - cetaphil for removing makeup is horrible.

I'm going to have to reiterate everyone above, it really is what works for you and unfortunately most of the time that means trying and testing.

Alot of higher end brands or the ones that have staffed beauty counters tend to give you samples. I had a sample of Estee Lauders Double Wear Foundation and it was meant to last 10 days and it lasted me close to a month - Throughout that whole time I loved it but I tested some others before buying the full sized bottle. It lasts forever, No-one can tell I have acne when I'm wearing it and I think its actually very cost effective given how little I have to use.=)

Best piece of advice I could give though is maybe take a look at some of the suggestions here and go get some samples. If you want to take it one step further. Each time, take a picture before your day at work and after to see how well it wears and keep a close eye on any breakouts you feel you experience as a result of the specific foundations. xx