Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wellgetbetter

I'm Scared To Eat-Please Help- Should I Become A Vegan

hi guys i'm so frustrated right now. my acne is worst than ever. i'm 21 and i already went through a horrible phase of acne when i was 14 to 17. then i skin got clear and healthy. now it's getting out of control.

i figured out that partly it's due to my diet and ive been trying to avoid many type of food that can trigger my inflammation.

Now i stay away from

-seafood

-dairy

-high sugary food

-wheat/bread

-white rice (which is my main meals for years)

I only consume

-chicken

-vegetables

-red meat (sometimes)

-brown rice ( i did some research and subtitute white rice with brown rice. but it's so confusing how different sources say different things. what should i sub rice with?)

-V8 (veggie juice)

-Avocados and Straberries are the 2 fruits i have.

i'm scared to eat and i guess ive lost several pounds since my acne became a mess. i recently moved out to a new place, a fresh start and i want to change my life style. does anybody know any website for vegan cooking? i no long trust any processed food i'll cook myself.

please help! all your suggestions are helpful

Edited by wellgetbetter

dont avoid so much of foods....but if you are then there are plenty of recepies especially for acne sufferers i will give them to you..these recepies are guven to me by my dermatologist...he just told me to avoid spicy foods..and foods with high protiens like egg once aur twice a week

here is a diet plan follow it hope it helps you this plan is given to me by my derm

Drink lots of water

FRESH FRUITS: Eat more fresh fruits & vegetables ……..(apples, bananas, pears, oranges, grapefruit, raisins, pineapple, mango, kiwi fruit, strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants,, peaches, melons, etc. …..Drink Fruit juices – either make homemade fruit juices or smoothies from fresh fruit, or drink ready-made juices. Make sure ready-made juices are labelled as being ‘pure’ or ‘unsweetened’.)

FRESH VEGS: * Vegetables – carrots, onions, turnip, sprouts, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, potatoes, spring onions etc

OTHERS:

Grow houseplants

Exercise regularly

Take up yoga, meditation, or other relaxation exercise

Eat Beans and lentils (daal)

Eat oats porridge with honey & fresh fruit dressing.

Eat fresh or canned fish.

Eat nuts like peanuts, almonds, cashew, pistachio, walnuts etc

Eat yogurt

Use virgin olive oil in salads & food

Include Garlic, ginger in ur cooked meals

Use black pepper powder

Eat Honey

Drink Green Tea

STRICTLY “NO”

* Red meat, burgers & other junk food,

* cream (malaaii or Baalaaee)

* Bakery products & white bread

* Chocolate, sweets

* pickles (achaar), mayonnaise

* Too much Salt & too much sugar

* Fizzy drinks

* Smoking/Alcohol

* Fried foods

* Late night eating

* Food preservatives

*Fried foods

*Stress

What is vee riggie?

I'm not sure why you need rice and therefore a rice substitute. You could sub rice with vegetables which you didn't mention. And if you must have a grain, maybe properly prepared buckwheat.

I suggest you add greens, sweet potatoes and eggs from pastured chickens.

And no, I do not think you should become a vegan. Not if you are already 'scared to eat.'

It sounds like what you need to do most is calm down and get a grip. Sleep well. Be active daily, eat real food. Avoid elevating blood sugar, etc.

Edited by alternativista

dont avoid so much of foods....but if you are then there are plenty of recepies especially for acne sufferers i will give them to you..these recepies are guven to me by my dermatologist...he just told me to avoid spicy foods..and foods with high protiens like egg once aur twice a week

here is a diet plan follow it hope it helps you this plan is given to me by my derm

That's not an American derm, is it?

^^ thats what I was wondering. I wish I had a derm who gave me diet advice. My derms remark when I asked about diet was a shrug of the shoulders and a different Rx. I also wouldn't become a vegan. I never really drank V8 juice, but isnt that stuff loaded with sugar? I'd recommend making your own smoothies/juice. Type fabulous green smoothies into the search engine, it should come up. I have one every morning, so good.

V8 contains 5g of sugars per can (163 mL) i was trying to get make my own juice but there's no time lately. that's the current alternative for me. what should i do then?

Right now I wouldn't be as concerned with your diet as I would be your approach towards diet and lifestyle. I'd venture to say that you're fairly stressed out about it? What about stress in general? How about sleep? Exercise? Socializing and living life? Treat all these things as a priority as well, not just diet and lifestyle. That being said, here's my dietary opinion. Don't forget, don't stress! :)

For the specifics of diet, it's good that you're avoiding major things like processed sugary foods, and crappy industrial oils. For some people they are minor nuances, but for others, avoiding specific antinutrients is key to acheiving clear skin. I'm a pretty big fan of Robb Wolf's autoimmune protocol, since it has worked for quite a few people with much more serious conditions than acne (though they all have an inflammatory component with overlapping metabolic pathways).

Paleo For Autoimmunity

Emerging research has made clear the link between Neolithic foods (grains, legumes and dairy) and autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and a host of other less well know conditions. Many people have found significant improvements in autoimmune disease by eliminating the Neolithic foods and building a diet around nutritious Paleo options. If you suffer from an autoimmune disease we highly recommend you start a Paleo diet and let us know what your results are. To give your body its best chance to heal we recommend that you initially limit the following foods:

• Eggs

• Tomatoes & eggplants

• Peppers including bell peppers and hot peppers

• Spices such as curries, paprika, and chili powder.

Some of these otherwise Paleo-friendly foods have been shown to be problematic in individuals with autoimmune issues. We recommend you fully remove not only these foods but also all Neolithic foods (grains, breads, potatoes, beans and dairy) for at least a month to see if they pose a problem for you.

Get a Blendtech or Vitamix, meals will be as easy as placing protein packed veggies/fruits into the mixer, mxing it and serving. It takes 5 mins, from start to clean up. You can also prepare up to 3-4 shakes out of of mixing. You can do this for breakfast and lunch and then eat a higher protein dinner, with chicken and other veggies.

Right now I wouldn't be as concerned with your diet as I would be your approach towards diet and lifestyle. I'd venture to say that you're fairly stressed out about it? What about stress in general? How about sleep? Exercise? Socializing and living life? Treat all these things as a priority as well, not just diet and lifestyle. That being said, here's my dietary opinion. Don't forget, don't stress! smile.png

For the specifics of diet, it's good that you're avoiding major things like processed sugary foods, and crappy industrial oils. For some people they are minor nuances, but for others, avoiding specific antinutrients is key to acheiving clear skin. I'm a pretty big fan of Robb Wolf's autoimmune protocol, since it has worked for quite a few people with much more serious conditions than acne (though they all have an inflammatory component with overlapping metabolic pathways).

Paleo For Autoimmunity

Emerging research has made clear the link between Neolithic foods (grains, legumes and dairy) and autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and a host of other less well know conditions. Many people have found significant improvements in autoimmune disease by eliminating the Neolithic foods and building a diet around nutritious Paleo options. If you suffer from an autoimmune disease we highly recommend you start a Paleo diet and let us know what your results are. To give your body its best chance to heal we recommend that you initially limit the following foods:

• Eggs
  • Tomatoes & eggplants
  • Peppers including bell peppers and hot peppers
  • Spices such as curries, paprika, and chili powder.

Some of these otherwise Paleo-friendly foods have been shown to be problematic in individuals with autoimmune issues. We recommend you fully remove not only these foods but also all Neolithic foods (grains, breads, potatoes, beans and dairy) for at least a month to see if they pose a problem for you.

If you're going to have rice, it's my opinion that you should have white rice over brown rice, unless you want to have sprouted brown rice, neither of which are particularly tasty imo. The hull of the rice (the brown part), though containing nutrients, is much like conventional wheat in that it also had the antinutrients there, which may be an issue for particularly sensitive people. The skin of the potatoes are also where the antinutrients are at. These might not be issues in the long run, but something to consider post 30 day elimination. White potatoes actually have pretty good amounts of vitamins and minerals (particularly vitamin C, b vitamins, potassium, magnesium, etc). Sweet potatoes are lower GI, but if you're avoiding proccessed sugars, there's no need to feel bad about white potatoes in the context of a low GL meal and consistent exercise. Squash is awesome too!

Also, seafood like mussels and oysters are fine farmed (though I'd avoid china), and they're great sources of minerals. Even conventional Asian markets around here have the good stuff from New Zealand. Try a farmer's market for food in general.

V8s suck imo, if you can't make your own smoothies or juice, you're better off eating the fruits and veggies whole.

Since you were considering being vegan, I'm guessing you think animal products are bad? This is a whole different issue, but an easy place to start is the documentary Fathead. It does a good job of explaining how saturated fats and essentially foods we evolved eating became villified quite recently.

http://www.hulu.com/...196879/fat-head

After watching this, hopefully you'll want to get your hands on some grass fed, pastured beef products, butter, etc!

There's tons and tons of internet blogs, I particularly like Mark's Daily Apple recipes, and his books are great too. There's also a recipe thread somewhere here. If you're really determined to eat vegan, you'll have a hard time gaining weight without supplementing. Either way, good fats like extra virgin coconut oil and olive oil are another easy source of calories. Try to get at least half to your whole weight in grams of protein daily to maintain your muscle mass.

thank you guys so much. i think you're right i should pay more attention to my life style than just diet. since my skin got worse, i hardly communicate with anybody [i spend my day off watchinh Ugly Betty lolz] . i quit exercising since my job already gets me so exhausted. i eat late ( about 7:30 after work. before i never ate after 6 pm). ive literally done nothing good for my skin recently. but yeah i think i have found some causes of the problem. need to fix them now!

Don't worry, it's all uphill from here! :) Keep a positive attitude throughout this whole experience, and realize that since you're on the right path, you'll get where you want eventually, so relieve yourself of any sort of date or expectation. Just enjoy the ride! There's plenty of info here and people to help.

Just make a smoothie whenever you can smile.png Or I like what tim says about just eating the veggies and fruits themselves. They are actually super quick once you get the hang of it, and sooo easy to digest if you have any digestive issues like I do. I should actually time it one day, but I think its less than 5 minutes. Also, something I forgot to mention that I use instead of rice/pasta is Quinoa. I really like this stuff. It doesn't seem to affect my acne or digestion. I just rinse them well, even though the package says pre rinsed. You can use it to make breakfast cereals, all the way to dinner also.

Edit: If you do become interested in grass fed meats like the above poster mentioned, go to www.eatwild.com it will help you find a place in your area.

Edited by BitterSweet098

That's not an American derm, is it?

yup he is not an american derm!!!!!!but he is one of the best doctors..i have tried 2,3dermatologist before but he is very best indeed

i just had a facial this afternoon. this is my 4th facial so far. it does feel better (after the painful extraction) but there's still some inflammed spots going on my face. i just looked back at my photos a year ago and [sigh.....] i wish i could come back that time. gosh it wasnt perfect but it wasnt this horrible.