Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dx4567

Do Cosmetic Surgeons Only Really Care About Money?

The more experiences I have, the more I believe plastic/cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists only care about money.

Firstly, there is no need for them to charge the hugely overinflated prices that they do. Quite often the materials for the treatment cost a few pounds, and the treatment takes only a few minutes. This no way justifies the ridiculous prices they charge.

They structure treatments in a way to keep you coming back for more. Temporary fillers, fractional resurfacing etc....of course, at a high cost per treatment. And call me paranoid, but I can't help but the feel they always make a little deliberate error in some way, so that you come back again to 'sort it out'. i.e. missing out an area during treatment, overdoing a treatment in a certain area to cause damage etc.

Most of them are not qualified doctors. In that sense I find it strange they just want to be a plastic surgeon, as it hardly comes under the category of 'saving lives' and helping people. Thus it seems the only motive for them is money, especially when you consider the lack of regulation in the industry means they can charge pretty much whatever they want, and when something goes wrong they will get away with it. If they had had some terrible experience with acne scarring in their youth and now want to help people, I could understand, but when was they last time you saw any dermatologist who had acne scarring?

The majority of them work both in the public sector (i.e. NHS) and the private sector. I believe their main reason for doing this is to channel business into their private clinics. This should not be allowed, talk about a vested interest. Almost always they deny you the treatment in the public sector, whilst recommending you phone their secretary for a private appointment.

I always feel like they are not giving you the whole truth, like they are holding something back from you.

I saw a plastic surgeon on the NHS recently, he had a clear look at my face, and he said he could only do the treatment privately. I rang his secretary, and she said in addition to the cost of treatment I would need to pay for a consultation. I asked her why as I had already seen him on the NHS, but she said I would still need to pay. It just so happened that I had a second appointment with him on the NHS to clarify a few details a few weeks after that....I went yesterday, and instead of seeing me, he fobbed me off to a registrar doctor. I can't help but think he did this to force me into paying for a private consultation, especially since when I asked the registrar if I could see him he said it was not possible. Despite the fact it was clearly him I was booked to see, and I said I was happy to wait.

My father once told me they're all charlatans, and he's right. They don't care about you or me, they care about one thing only - money.

>there is no need for them to charge the hugely overinflated prices that they do.

Inelastic demand, fella. Basic economics. Barriers to entry also have alot of influence on price.

>Most of them are not qualified doctors.

?? You are aware what it takes to become a cosmetic surgeon, right? They are qualified doctors, they all went to med school.

Yes I know that, and they exploit this to charge as high prices as they can. Goes to show they don't give a toss about the patient.

No you don't have to be a qualified doctor....most cosmetic surgeons are Mr not Dr.

The prices are ridiculus, but our hands are tied. There is always Cosmetic travel, but going to a foreign country is scarey at best. I did have a PS, who did Fraxel Re:store, tell me not to bother with it, and shortly thereafter Re:pair was released. He has Fraxel Dual now, but I am established with a Re:pair doctor who only charges $800 per treatment. I did go back to the original doctor for some hair transplants.

The prices are ridiculus, but our hands are tied. There is always Cosmetic travel, but going to a foreign country is scarey at best. I did have a PS, who did Fraxel Re:store, tell me not to bother with it, and shortly thereafter Re:pair was released. He has Fraxel Dual now, but I am established with a Re:pair doctor who only charges $800 per treatment. I did go back to the original doctor for some hair transplants.

Fraxel is a con. Whoever thought of such an ineffective (yet convincing) treatment must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Fraxel is a con. Whoever thought of such an ineffective (yet convincing) treatment must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Really, I have had success and will continue to do Re:pair. By you calling it just Fraxel it says that you do not differentiate between Re:store and Re:pair. I would not bother with Re:store. It is off hand remarks by people who don't take the time to understand the process that turns off people who would be helped by Re:pair. Not everyone can tolerate Re:pair, but those that can should run to get it done, but be prepared for multiple treatments. Of course people can buy into all the snake oil cures that appear here, or you can wait for the next big breakthrough which may be 20-30 years off, but what the heck you called it a con.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Fraxel didn't work for me either...i want my money back...=(

You have just said half the name of a treatment. It is useless trying to discuss lasers with people who refuse to identify what they had done. I might as well be talking to the wall. I have hung around because I have had success with FRAXEL RE:PAIR and I hoped to help fight the misinformation that is being spread, but I see now that it is useless trying to help people who won't help themselves.

Edited by DudleyDoRight

i am not disagreeing with you about your experience with fraxel...i am glad you had a success from your treatment.

but i had fraxel laser treatments in my past spend $$$$ and did NOTHING to my scars...i regret having them..i cried a lot...but too late my money was gone for good...neutral.gif

i am just giving my opinion..just like you...=)

Edited by myskin2012

What, What did you have? Fraxel is 1/2 the name of a treatment. You could have had Fraxel Re:fine, Fraxel Re:store, Fraxel Re:pair or Fraxel Dual. The word Fraxel alone is meaningless.