Notifications
Clear all

The Old Moisturizer Has To Come Back.

MemberMember
(@kangin)

Posted : 04/14/2012 10:06 am

I was a heavy user of the old moisturizer with no lichochalcone and it literally was the best, most perfect moisturizer ever. Light, easily absorbed, skin felt hydrated/soft to the touch, moisturized so SO extremely well.

Now, licochalcone wasn't new territory for me, I first tried it out with the AHA+ when it came out and it was a good nighttime/before bed application as it definitely left your face feeling greasy. That greasy feeling unfortunately, has carried onto their moisturizer(as well as the odor..it states it's fragrance free, but there definitely is a weird scent to it). I've read numerous other posts who all felt the same. The licochalcone needs to stay in the AHA+ and nothing else, if people choose to implement licochalcone in their regimen, then they'll just pick up AHA+ and use the moisturizer(with no licochalcone) in the day time. If someone doesn't like licochalcone in their regimen, what are they left with? Before, they could just pick up your old moisturizer but now they can't get either.

I honestly think Acne.org had a superb moisturizer before the revamp, I would buy liters of that stuff with no hesitation. It's THAT great of a moisturizer and I cry myself to sleep whenever I think about my last bottle running out and having to resort to the greasier, pungent alternative. Inclusion of licochalcone in people's regimen should be an option, not a necessity. However, that's impossible with the current line up Acne.org has. You guys had an excellent moisturizer that...actually moisturized and I'm sad to see something so successful go.

MemberMember
(@outtolunch12)

Posted : 04/14/2012 5:02 pm

despite not trying the old moisturizer. i agree full-heartedly. I really dislike the way the AHA makes my face feel, i've used other aha creams that soak in beautifully, but the acne.org, while being higher percentage of acid, sits on my skin and leaves it greasy, and balls up with my moisturizer (eucerin intensive repair and cetaphil lotion) and i was on the look out for a new moisturizer, but just as i was about to purchase the one from here, they switched it to the new one. and i didn't want to buy the old one just to have it run out if i loved it.

They really, REALLY should give us the option of both. but the chances of that are slim to none. Dan is the boss and what he says goes. So we should just stop making threads like this. because it has got us nowhere.

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 04/19/2012 10:59 am

I just want to put in my 2 cents. First of all, Kangin, "fragrance free" means no added perfumes or extra ingredients for the sole purpose of smelling good. Obviously the product is going to smell like something, often times added "extras" only irritate and clog pores, which Dan's moisturizer does neither.

Also, I also used the old moisturizer back in the day, and I really like it. I use the new moisturizer now, and I also really like it. For some reason, companies do not know how to make moisturizers for acne prone skin. Cerave, cetaphil, all contain pore clogging ingredients, and also break me out (though they definitely work for some people). Dan's moisturizer does not break me out at all, and when I add extra jojoba oil my face is never flaky. It's really not that bad Kangin.

MemberMember
(@kangin)

Posted : 04/19/2012 10:48 pm

despite not trying the old moisturizer. i agree full-heartedly. I really dislike the way the AHA makes my face feel, i've used other aha creams that soak in beautifully, but the acne.org, while being higher percentage of acid, sits on my skin and leaves it greasy, and balls up with my moisturizer (eucerin intensive repair and cetaphil lotion) and i was on the look out for a new moisturizer, but just as i was about to purchase the one from here, they switched it to the new one. and i didn't want to buy the old one just to have it run out if i loved it.

They really, REALLY should give us the option of both. but the chances of that are slim to none. Dan is the boss and what he says goes. So we should just stop making threads like this. because it has got us nowhere.

I don't believe we should stop making these threads. Dan's become a man who makes it apparent he listens to feedback from his customers and strives to make a product that satisfies what we need that store bought brands cannot. When a product gets released, I'm sure he expects the majority of us to give him insight as to what's wrong and what's good about his product so he can further improve on making a high quality and effective product. Just like he's done ever since he started the whole thing. Heck his whole blog is proof of how much he looks to us to suggest on improvements to his products. That's why I don't think we should just stand idly by and just let him continue producing a mediocre moisturizer. The more people who make threads like this, the more attention is brought to the problem, and the faster the problem is dealt with. Dan is indeed the boss, but he has been known to change things up from suggestions given to him by customers(ala, the addition of lichochalcone, the new bottles, etc..) so I hope he is at the very least aware of this problem, and perhaps contemplating the removal of lichochalcone in the moisturizer.

I just want to put in my 2 cents. First of all, Kangin, "fragrance free" means no added perfumes or extra ingredients for the sole purpose of smelling good. Obviously the product is going to smell like something, often times added "extras" only irritate and clog pores, which Dan's moisturizer does neither.

Also, I also used the old moisturizer back in the day, and I really like it. I use the new moisturizer now, and I also really like it. For some reason, companies do not know how to make moisturizers for acne prone skin. Cerave, cetaphil, all contain pore clogging ingredients, and also break me out (though they definitely work for some people). Dan's moisturizer does not break me out at all, and when I add extra jojoba oil my face is never flaky. It's really not that bad Kangin.

Regardless of what is meant by "fragrance free", you can't deny the smell it puts off. A poster on here described it as a mixture between dirt, and beer. And I'd have to say it's quite accurate. I'm not sure where flakiness came to play here, but flakiness is not even a problem because of how oily/greasy the moisturizer leaves your skin feeling.

Let me just ask, what exactly is the purpose of adding lichochalcone in the moisturizer? It's to have the calming and soothing properties of the root. But why not just keep those properties in the AHA+ and leave the moisturizer by itself? That way you satisfy both the people who want lichochalcone in their regimen, and those who do not but still want to use the moisturizer.

"But having it in the moisturizer makes the moisturizer even better!" you might say...but why would you need it in the moisturizer when you can just mix the AHA and the moisturizer together to have both properties? Just like his blog post http://www.acne.org/...isturizer-bffs/ says you could do. By mixing the two together, it completely removes the need to even have lichochalcone in the moisturizer because you can just add it as you'd like via the AHA+. The key here is in the bold. This gives us the option to use it, but does not force us to use it if we want to use the moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@phoenix-fireless)

Posted : 04/24/2012 8:26 pm

LOVE the old moisturizer on days when I'm not using benzoylperoxide, I quite miss it even though it does burn like hell when used with benzoylperoxide

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 04/25/2012 1:03 pm

I really miss the old moisturiser too. For some reason I have a really bad reaction to the Licochalcone and can't use the last batch of the moisturiser I ordered. I have had to go back to using Eucerin moisturiser which is really good but also really expensive for such a small tube. It would be good if we could have a choice of moisturiser. One without Licochalcone and one with (for those who do like it). I do realise this probably isn't economical for Dan to do this though.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/26/2012 12:55 pm

I agree completely with Kangin. I am not new to the Regimen. I tried it 4 yrs ago & used it for 2 yrs with excellent results... no flaking (didn't need jojoba), no burns, no itching, etc. I didn't even ease in. Today, I'm having to stop the BP for a few days because my skin is burnt, burning, & itchy. I started this round 7 weeks ago, easing in over a 4-wk period, and I've already tried using less & even once a day & every other day. Now the once a day works, but is not enough to keep me clear. The problem is the moisturizer just is not effective to me, even with the addition of jojoba oil. It feels icky like liquid makeup, doesn't absorb, doesn't last on the skin as if it evaporates, & I believe I'm having a nasty reaction to the lycopene. My skin is completely dry, itching, & burning a few hrs after application. Even though I didn't love the feel of the old moisturizer, I liked it waaaay better than this one. I do not know of a good substitute, so I can't use The Regimen, which is the only system that keeps me clear.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/26/2012 2:48 pm

I agree completely with Kangin. I am not new to the Regimen. I tried it 4 yrs ago & used it for 2 yrs with excellent results... no flaking (didn't need jojoba), no burns, no itching, etc. I didn't even ease in. Today, I'm having to stop the BP for a few days because my skin is burnt, burning, & itchy. I started this round 7 weeks ago, easing in over a 4-wk period, and I've already tried using less & even once a day & every other day. Now the once a day works, but is not enough to keep me clear. The problem is the moisturizer just is not effective to me, even with the addition of jojoba oil. It feels icky like liquid makeup, doesn't absorb, doesn't last on the skin as if it evaporates, & I believe I'm having a nasty reaction to the lycopene. My skin is completely dry, itching, & burning a few hrs after application. Even though I didn't love the feel of the old moisturizer, I liked it waaaay better than this one. I do not know of a good substitute, so I can't use The Regimen, which is the only system that keeps me clear.

MemberMember
(@kangin)

Posted : 05/01/2012 11:13 pm

Since the last time I visited, two more topics have been posted about the moisturizer being less than satisfactory as well as all the posts above. I really do hope Dan is aware of this and is considering some sort of tweak to the moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@kathyp)

Posted : 07/06/2012 12:28 pm

Does anyone have the ingredient list for the "old" moisturizer?? I am trying to find something comparable elsewhere. I LOVED that moisturizer, it was the only one that worked for me without clogging my pores and making me break out. I hate the new moisturizer and have emailed Dan letting him know!!!

MemberMember
(@kathyp)

Posted : 07/06/2012 2:02 pm

Never mind, I found it. If anyone wants the list, just let me know and I will post it. thanks!

MemberMember
(@dave77nc)

Posted : 07/09/2012 12:48 am

KathyP, can you please list the ingredients of the old one here?

I also used the old formula with great success, but the new one does not work for me. It leaves me flaky. Also, has anyone used AHA instead of the new mouisturizer?

I notice AHA has glycerine in it, which was part of the old moisturizer formula.

My issue is that since the new mousturizer does not do the job well, i cant use enough BP, and i have not been able to find anything otc that compares well to the old formula. the closest i came with is the neutorgena combination skin mousturizer.

anyways, would like feedbadk about about AHA. Am considering buying it and using it as a moisturizer..... what are your thoughts?> thanks

MemberMember
(@simey1)

Posted : 07/10/2012 6:54 pm

I cant comment on the old moisturiser as I only discovered this website a little while ago and received Dans products in the post a few days ago but I have used this new moisturiser for a couple of days now and its not working for me. I used it on day 1 and it felt great at first but my face had that tight feeling soon after which lasted the rest of the day, The seconf time I used it I added a couple of drops of jojoba oil but still it isnt moisturising my face enough, it does make my skin soft and smooth but doesnt seem to be working as good as the previous products I have been using from the shops. Since discovering this site I have been doing the regime with products from the stores and my skin has improved greatly, I followed dans instructions to lightly apply cleanser in the shower and bought some BP 2'5% and then lightly applied my moisturiser and my skin has responded well. I have always massaged my face with various scrubs and washcloths/muslin cloths and obviously that has been aggrivating my skin resluting in the bad acne I have had forever. I have been using Simple refreshing face wash, then the BP and then moisturise with Olay classic sensitive moisturiser with a few drops of jojoba oil and my skin improved withing a matter of days! Dand products arrived a few days ago and I have been using them since but as I live in the UK, they cost me a lot to get shipped over from the UK and I had customs charges on top so as the simple refrshing facial wash works well for me and has a similar ingredient list as dans stuff, I will probably go back to that, also dans moisturiser isnt doing it for me so I wil go back to my olay, dans BP is superior to the one I was using though so I am glad that had come in such a big tube! Good luck with your skin everyone!

MemberMember
(@kangin)

Posted : 07/21/2012 4:44 pm

Just by reading the reviews of both moisturizers on acne.org gives you a clear idea of how much people prefer the old formula over the new one. There's just no debate between the two.

I'd really like to hear the reasoning behind continuing to produce a moisturizer that clearly underperforms in many aspects compared to their old one. There is no way that Dan or anyone else at acne.org aren't aware of how terrible their new moisturizer is. Some kind of insight from someone knowledgeable in the organization would be nice, instead of avoiding the issue itself. Why have they not addressed the issue? Are there any plans to restore the moisturizer back to the more well-received old formula? If not, why?

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 07/23/2012 9:34 pm

Let's get one thing straight. It's going to come down to the numbers. If you dislike it so much, STOP buying his moisturizers altogether. Supply and demand. That might change things around, instead of complaining but continuing to purchase.

Dan might not portray himself as strictly running The Regimen for business, and that's awesome he is so passionate, but if I'm not mistaken this is his livelihood, so let the sales tell him what to do. That's about all you can do right now.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/17/2020 5:42 pm

Personally, I did stop purchasing as others in this thread likely may have as well. But this was the only thing that worked for us. We are afraid to continue using alternatives because they usually contain other ingredients that Daniel and our experience taught us are not good for our skin, or they underperform as well. We believe in Dan's product. It has worked for us, until it didn't. We are just hoping he will hear us. Our skin depends on it. That's it.

MemberMember
(@mindfultiler)

Posted : 01/22/2020 7:24 am

On 1/18/2020 at 12:42 AM, masque3000 said:

Personally, I did stop purchasing as others in this thread likely may have as well. But this was the only thing that worked for us. We are afraid to continue using alternatives because they usually contain other ingredients that Daniel and our experience taught us are not good for our skin, or they underperform as well. We believe in Dan's product. It has worked for us, until it didn't. We are just hoping he will hear us. Our skin depends on it. That's it.

How is your skin now? Are you still using the regimen? I noticed it is around 8 years that you people posted here last.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/23/2020 2:49 pm

My skin is so MUCH better now. It took me a while to find something that worked for me again, especially since I became overly sensitive to BP. Several years ago, I switched over to SheaMoisture's Problem Skin line (Cleanser-Toner-Moisturizer + Weekly Scrub + Weekly Mask) and was finally able to stop using Orthotricyclen which I had been on since my tween years... with no withdrawal flare ups. It balanced my skin & greatly improved my hyperpigmentation. I would receive a lot of compliments on my skin. Unfortunately, SheaMoisture's formulas have started to change, so I have just purchased CeraVe's full line of products to try since it's more readily available locally in a pinch (I primarily use Amazon Subscribe & Save). I'm very hopeful that this line will work for me. After a ton of research and lots of YouTube, I'm going with the Cleanser-Serum-Moisturizer + Weekly Peel route moving forward. Wish me luck! Thanks for asking!

MemberMember
(@mindfultiler)

Posted : 02/11/2020 11:57 am

Thanks for replying. I truly wish you luck! So you did stop using BP due to your skin becoming to sensitive? How is this possible? Shouldn't it actually be the other way around?

Anyway, for how long did you use BP? I myself have used for 2,5 years and it keeps my skin 90% clear, although my skin always get red when applying it and during winters relatively flaky. Iguess my skin never really got use to BP... The redness is truly a significant side effect for me, since it looks like I have sunburn on my face throughout the year.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/15/2020 12:24 am

I did the regimen from 2008-2010 until I started having allergic type reactions to what I thought was the moisturizer. Before this, my skin was 100% used to the BP. I tried & failed again a few years ago. Now, after watching information slowly trickle in regarding BP sensitivity, I believe THIS is actually what is affecting users. There's a few small studies out there, but not enough official data yet. A doctor mentioned that a BP wash might be less irritating and actually deposits BP into the skin... I am trying it right now. A few days in, my skin is only slightly dry, irritated, itchy & reddish, but I honestly feel BP is no longer worth the trouble. It's great if you can tolerate it. I spent good money on this tube so I will use it until it's gone! I have African American skin, so I am finally succumbing to the fact that salicylic acid has probably always been the better option for me. It helps with oil, black-/whiteheads, pores, irritation, & hyperpigmentation. BTW, I'm loving the CeraVe line... Almost 2 weeks in and my skin texture is already amazing! Less oily and smaller pores. Here's what I'm using:

AM REGIMEN:
1. CeraVe Acne Foaming Cream Cleanser (4% BP) will eventually replace with CeraVe Renewing
SA Cleanser (2% SA) alternating with CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser

2. The Ordinary Peeling Solution (30% AHA, 2% BHA) weekly or monthly chemical exfoliator

3. CeraVe Skin Renewing Vitamin C Serum
4. CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion
5. Etude House Sunprise Mild Airy Finish Sun Milk SPF50+

PM REGIMEN:
1. CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
2. CeraVe Resurfacing Retinol Serum (for post-acne marks & pores)
3. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (in the tub)

On 2/11/2020 at 10:57 AM, MindfulTiler said:

Thanks for replying. I truly wish you luck! So you did stop using BP due to your skin becoming to sensitive? How is this possible? Shouldn't it actually be the other way around?

Anyway, for how long did you use BP? I myself have used for 2,5 years and it keeps my skin 90% clear, although my skin always get red when applying it and during winters relatively flaky. Iguess my skin never really got use to BP... The redness is truly a significant side efect for me, since it looks like I have sunburn on my face throughout the year.