Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riseagainstacne

Accutane, Is It Worth It?

So a few days ago i talked to my mom about how i wanted to get on accutane yes, i have tired everything in the book that you can think of to get my acne under control stuff like doxycycline, retin-a, birth control..i have tried it all and nothing will clear my acne, it will work for about 2-3 months then my acne will come right back. The last thing i want to do is take accutane and it was in the back of my mind until a month ago. my acne is just the worst it has been in a long time and i can't take it anymore it has been a battle with me and acne/acne scarring for about 4 years now and it has had a big impact on my life. (sounds extreme, but it really has) I just turned 18 a month ago so there is nothing that my parents could say that could stop me, but it was good to hear they would support whatever i wanted to do. I was pretty happy about it, looking up youtube videos and how the drug has completely made there face beautiful! and how happy they were... Then, tonight being bored on the computer i wanted to look deeper into the accutane and everything i will need, what i can and can't do...etc and i came upon this website..

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/Discuss/accutane-long-term-side-effects-191307_p3.htm

It seriously made me cry. All i want is clear skin, that's all :(

i hear people who have had wonderful benefits from this drug too.

so i'm kinda in a stand still.. in my mind i'm hoping it will just clear my skin and everything will be fine and i'll be happy,but in the back of my mind it's the "what if's" seeing so much forms i'm not sure if the negatives outweigh the positives Or the positives outweigh the negatives

If you have been on Accutane, i would like to hear your successes stories.

but i also want to hear people that it didn't work for or are having problems.

i know in the end it's my decision and my decision only, but i'm just Stuck on what i should do :(

Hi :) I started taking accutane In September 2011 and finished my course just before 2012 began. Like you I had tried everything, from prescription drugs/topicals to over the counter 'remedies'. In the end I used so many chemicals on my face I weakened my skin and developed a bad skin infection (staph). After months of treating that (which made my acne look 10x worse!) I finally saw a derm who put me on 30mg of accutane for 4 months. It was the best decision I've ever made, after having acne since my early teens and now being clear for my 18th birthday.

When you look at the horror stories on the internet it is scary, I did it too before beginning my course out of curiosity, but you have to remember these type of risks come with all medications, only many believe the benefits of having clear skin isn't worth the risk of the side-effects. Also, looking at particular websites which talk only of the negative outcomes of accutane are bound to make you frightened. Those who were unfortunate enough to be affected more long-term are the minority, with those who end up with a great result the majority. Actually, I found not being on accutane was more dangerous; I got an infection, my confidence was non-existent, I never left the house and I lost a whole bunch of friends. Accutane made me tired and I still feel my lips get dry easy, but psychologically it benefited me immensely. I guess you have to weigh up the costs and benefits in order to make an informed decision. Good luck!

So a few days ago i talked to my mom about how i wanted to get on accutane yes, i have tired everything in the book that you can think of to get my acne under control stuff like doxycycline, retin-a, birth control..i have tried it all and nothing will clear my acne, it will work for about 2-3 months then my acne will come right back. The last thing i want to do is take accutane and it was in the back of my mind until a month ago. my acne is just the worst it has been in a long time and i can't take it anymore it has been a battle with me and acne/acne scarring for about 4 years now and it has had a big impact on my life. (sounds extreme, but it really has) I just turned 18 a month ago so there is nothing that my parents could say that could stop me, but it was good to hear they would support whatever i wanted to do. I was pretty happy about it, looking up youtube videos and how the drug has completely made there face beautiful! and how happy they were... Then, tonight being bored on the computer i wanted to look deeper into the accutane and everything i will need, what i can and can't do...etc and i came upon this website..

http://www.prescript...s-191307_p3.htm

It seriously made me cry. All i want is clear skin, that's all sad.png

so i'm kinda in a stand still.. in my mind i'm hoping it will just clear my skin and everything will be fine and i'll be happy,but in the back of my mind it's the "what if's" seeing so much forms i'm not sure if the negatives outweigh the positives Or the positives outweigh the negatives

i know in the end it's my decision and my decision only, but i'm just Stuck on what i should do sad.png

Honestly, I don't put much, if any stock in a site like that. Almost everyone on there says "I took accutane 3 or 4 years ago and now I have x problem, and I think it's caused by Accutane."

The point is that you can never know that ANY of these health problems were caused by Accutane. They may very well have had the same problems had they not gone on accutane. It's entirely possible that people with moderate/severe acne are genetically predisposed to the health problems correlated with Accutane, and Accutane actually has no effect on any of them. Long story short: you really can never know. You can read up on the side effects all you want, but the fact is that EVERY drug has side effects, even the antibiotics that derms seem so eager to throw at people.

Personally, I have done Accutane twice, and I would do it all over again if I had to. It has literally changed my life. I used to have anywhere from 15-20 pimples at one time and now my skin is flawless. I have had a zit in almost 6 weeks.

Edited by sd85

http://www.prescript...s-191307_p3.htm

It seriously made me cry. All i want is clear skin, that's all sad.png

i know in the end it's my decision and my decision only, but i'm just Stuck on what i should do sad.png

I know how you feel. I've been considering accutane on and off since 16 and now I'm almost 19. I'd love to do it if there was no risk of side effects, but I'm really scared to. What if my acne goes away in six months by itself? or a year? Or maybe it takes longer and I have it into my early 20s (really, really hoping this doesn't happen). I just think its a big risk to take to make the next few years of your life easier when it could potentially ruin years of your life. I only have moderate/severe acne though, so it doesn't look like I'll get much scaring, which is great! I can't say what my decision would be if I had really severe acne and it looked like there was going to be lots of deep pitted scars. You have to weigh the pros and cons, its your decision. To be honest though, if it doesn't look like your going to get much scaring, I wouldn't do it. Just try to keep it under control the best you can until its gone and try to remain positive!!

I have to admit though, when I read about people who have gone from getting loads of pimples on their face everyday like me, and they go to having a perfect complexion it makes me want it even more because that could be the same for me. I want clear skin really bad aha

It's a scary decision, there's no denying it. But as has been mentioned above you only ever really here from those people who've had bad experiences with accutane. Those vast majority of people whose skin is now fine and have had no lingering side-effects following the end of treatment are hardly, if ever, going to return to these types of sites. Why would you? After all, the medication did its job, it made their skin clear, and now they can move on with life and worry about other things. The amount of negative stories online is hugely disproportional to the percentage of people in actuality who have had bad experiences. And as the above post mentioned, much of these 'symptoms' of long-term side-effects tend to emerge years later, so linking them to accutane is just not always a sufficient enough explanation in my opinion.

Entirely your decision, but if you've exhausted the more conventional treatments and it's genuinely making you unhappy and causing low self-esteem then it's something you should definitely consider. And don't listen to those people who say "you'll grow out of it in a year or two" because the chances are that if your acne is fairly substantial now it is likely to still be fairly substantial well into your twenties and beyond. I'm currently 2 months into my treatment and all I've had to deal with is dryness (annoying but manageable) and a slightly sore back (annoying and not that manageable at its worst). Anyway good luck!

Hey there :)

I think I can help you ..

See , i've done an accutane 3 month course twice already. It works to some extent but my acne are back probably because of my sleeping and eating habits . I've almost given up now.

Well what I wanted to tell you is its true that accutane does have some noticeable side effects. BUT there are two things you can do to keep a check on the side effects .

1) use the lowest concentration or whatever its called .. i mean to say go for a 30 mg instead of 60.

2) im sure all these people who have faced the ill effects have taken these meds for like a whole year or more. So do some kindof bi or tri-monthly course and make sure you give yourself a proper break from accutane from time to time.

3) once you feel your skin is clear, take them every alternate day and finally stop em.After that just eat healthy and try to build up natural immunity for acne.

Good luck n dont worry

Thank you guys all for your comments and stories when it comes down to it acne is just a horrible thing we have to deal with and for some reason it just keeps coming back. Like i said i didn't even think this would cross my mind but after seeing all the success stories, it just sounds very nice to have clear skin for once... I'm sure there's a lot more of us that have lost friends, will do just about ANYTHING to stay in the house, because we think are faces look that bad. We pretty much eat, sleep and think acne all day long and that's definitely not healthy. Siting in you house all day is not healthy, avoiding social events (even with family) is NOT healthy its been about 6 months since i left my house, besides walking around my park with a hoodie on so no one can see my face. Its sad living like this, and i'm ready to just get rid of it for good!!!

the one thing that REALLY scares me though is the Birth defects, of course i want to have a family in the future. wayyyy later on. i'm making this decision for me and if i put my body through hell and back that's my decision. But i don't want my children to suffer..

I hide my acne too! I wear a hat to cover my forehead. sad.png. I am sorry that you're living like this. I remember when I used to stay at my house all day because of acne. You look very beautiful on that picture. I am sure some day you'll have clear skin!! Good luck and I hope accutane clears you up! And like someone said, make sure to eat healthy. Just go plant-based raw diet!! It is the healthiest. I am a vegan who eats 100% raw and I feel great!! I still do break out though, but that's OK.;\ Take care hun!! If you ever decide to go raw, I can help :)

Edited by EddieE

the one thing that REALLY scares me though is the Birth defects, of course i want to have a family in the future. wayyyy later on. i'm making this decision for me and if i put my body through hell and back that's my decision. But i don't want my children to suffer..

As long as you don't get pregnant while taking accutane/a few months after taking it any potential children will not be affected whatsoever :)

As long as you don't get pregnant while taking accutane/a few months after taking it any potential children will not be affected whatsoever smile.png

Holy crap, you don't know how happy that made me to read this... I thought it was a long term thing! i'm making a appointment with the dermatologist soon so i'll have a big list of questions for her.. I really hope she will give me the OK to get on the medication though. since i have tried everything else, she better. Lol i have seen pictures of people with not-so-bad acne get on this medication, that was a surprise to me

I don't feel like reading through the whole thread, but short answer: yes. Long answer: Hell yes. I could write up a long ass answer with tons of reasons why it's worth it, but i'll keep it short by saying that going on accutane was one of the best decision I've made in my life. As a matter of fact, I'm halfway through my second course right now, because the acne started to come back 3 years after my first course. The only side effects I had on both courses were dry lips and skin. A bloody nose here and there, but nothing major. It's the only thing that you know FOR SURE it's gonna work. I don't know about you, but I don't think I could put up with trying a bunch of crap that doesn't work anymore. I'm pretty damn sure that most people who won't encourage you to take it are people who never took it because they're scared. But guess what, in 5 or 6 months these people will still have acne and are still gonna be wasting their life hiding inside because of their fucking acne. You, on the other hand, will be living your life to the fullest. Do yourself a favor and go on it, you'll thank yourself for it, trust me. Don't waste away the best years of your life worrying about this shit when you can just take accutane and be done with it. Damn that ended up being a long answer, but In the end, I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Edited by LaChesis

i'm pretty sure i have made up my mind and LaChesisyou are absolutely right.

i'm getting on this medication one way or another. The only thing i'm worried about is my

dermatologist shying away from it and being like "well we can try this...or this" (pretty much trying to sell me anything else but accutane) If she does i'm going to punch her in the face, not literally but yeah -__-

This acne has fucked up my life for too long, i'm not taking "i don't think you need it" for an answer!

Oh and another question, i know "Accutane" is no longer on the market.

and the Generics are called Sotret, Claravis, Amnesteem. what's the difference between them?

does one work better then the others? and i would also like to know witch ones you guys took

i'm pretty sure i have made up my mind and LaChesisyou are absolutely right.

i'm getting on this medication one way or another. The only thing i'm worried about is my

dermatologist shying away from it and being like "well we can try this...or this" (pretty much trying to sell me anything else but accutane) If she does i'm going to punch her in the face, not literally but yeah -__-

This acne has fucked up my life for too long, i'm not taking "i don't think you need it" for an answer!

Oh and another question, i know "Accutane" is no longer on the market.

and the Generics are called Sotret, Claravis, Amnesteem. what's the difference between them?

does one work better then the others? and i would also like to know witch ones you guys took

All of these medications are exactly the same. It's like taking a Tylenol or Acetaminophen---They're exactly the same.

As long as you don't get pregnant while taking accutane/a few months after taking it any potential children will not be affected whatsoever smile.png

Renn is completelyyyy right! Your baby only gets effected if you get pregnant WHILE you are on it. Also a few months after, because Accutane is still in your system. No need to worry girl. smile.png If that was true tons of less people would probably be taking this drug because they wouldn't want their babies harmed later on. ha

Edited by NeedAMiracle!