Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaftFrost

100% Whole Wheat Bread? Bad Or Not?

This is a question that makes me wonder.

Because of acne I am just little bit "OVER" concerned about what I eat. I personally think eating non refined wouldn't be that bad. Slower absorbtion = lower blood glucose = less insulin -= less acne.

It's refining which takes out all the essential nutrients that aids digestion.

Also.... I don't think I am Gluten Tolerant. I've eaten plenty of bread and flour based products hell lot throughout my life, and I never had any stomach problems, irregular bowel movements and such. My ethinicity is asian so we do eat lots of rice and noodles without digestive problems.

So... if you are not gluten tolerant and are eating fiberious food before eating a bread, Its safe ? am I right?

Infact all the fruit we eat has sugars, well not exactly glucose but its also the fibers which slows down absorbtion, same with wheat perhaps?

It isn't good. You should limit it and try to consume 'artisanal' bread, i.e. made how we used to do it in the olden days with long fermentation that reduces the damaging anti-nutrients.

And it's not necessarily better than refined white bread. There's more in whole wheat that you might be intolerant to and whole wheat is usually much denser which means it's higher carb. So for many, you'd be better off eating refined white bread.

Edited by alternativista

It isn't good.

lol, you make me laugh, sorry. @OP: If you like how it makes you feel, eat it. Don't let anyone tell you whether something is good or not, your body and mind will tell you.

Edited by someonefromabove

Context is always key. Wheat definitely doesn't need to be at the bottom of the food pyramid making up the basis of all of our meals. It doesn't hurt to take it out for a while and see how you fare. I feel much better without it.

It isn't good.

lol, you make me laugh, sorry. @OP: If you like how it makes you feel, eat it. Don't let anyone tell you whether something is good or not, your body and mind will tell you.

Obviously not or this wouldn't be a culture filled with such sickly people suffering from so many lifestyle induced conditions. In fact our body doesn't understand about many of the processed foods so gives us wrong information.

If you notice it doesn't affect you then eat it! lol :) Some people notice that certain foods cause them to break out. I think the key is finding out if you have triggers, what they are, and at what concentration they are problems for you. For me, I try to stay away from excess sugar and processed foods. I eat whole wheat (and you need to check the ingredients because wheat isn't necessarily ALL wheat--it could be a blend of white and wheat. I personally prefer stone ground in my sandwich bread) and do not notice it causing me any problems. I can even eat some white flour without issues. But, if I consume too much take out pizza, for example, I WILL get cysts. If I eat out at the pizza buffet every now and then, and keep the rest of my intake pretty clean..then no problems. :) Everyone has a different threshold.

I eat a lot more whole wheat--my family loves spaghetti, pizzas, etc. I always make them homemade from whole wheat flour and even eating it fairly regularly doesn't affect me. I cannot say that white flour itself is teh culprit--perhaps there is some additive in white breads or processed foods I haven't identified yet that causes me problems, but I just know staying away from too much white flour does help me A LOT in controlling the severity of spots. :) And to note, I can't say that cutting out certain foods specifically STOPS acne from forming, because even now I still continue to get spots. BUT, I have noticed that they are not as severe. I still get spots but they are rather mild, compared to the nodules/cysts I get when i eat too much of something I know I shouldn't. So, it may be that food (unless you are allergic to it) won't necessarily cure your problem, but it might make it worse, or could make it better. :)

Aside from that, I have noticed that I can eat a spaghetti dinner made with whole wheat and not get that sleepy/heavy weighed down feeling that I would if I ate the same thing with regular spaghetti noodles. :) Both my husband and I noticed about a 10lbs weight loss, too, after cutting out the white flours and sugar--and we did nothing else. lol :) So, if nothing else, that alone is a nice bonus! lol :)

Anyways, just my experience! Best wishes!!

It isn't good.

Obviously not or this wouldn't be a culture filled with such sickly people suffering from so many lifestyle induced conditions. In fact our body doesn't understand about many of the processed foods so gives us wrong information.

People will do the things they like, let them. They will have to figure out for themselves if it's wrong or has been wrong. I never had a problem with processed foods and they are and will remain part of our modern culture, whether one likes it or not. They won't go away. Moderation is key, as with everything. As you said, it's the lifestyle.

It isn't good.

People will do the things they like, let them. They will have to figure out for themselves if it's wrong or has been wrong. I never had a problem with processed foods and they are and will remain part of our modern culture, whether one likes it or not. They won't go away. Moderation is key, as with everything. As you said, it's the lifestyle.

No, you really are better without many things in life. Most people aren't able to be moderate. This board encourages a lifestyle of proper balance based on large amounts of research; telling people to do what feels good is pretty irresponsible when there's an epidemic of disease in this country. Cultural normals don't change with silence. Most people have little to no idea of how profoundly diet and lifestyle affects them, and if I listened to you when I came to this board - writing it all off based on some misguided pleasure principle, well, I'd be pretty sick. Vista and others have been key players in me taking charge of my health, and making it clear and easy to do so.

Because we're doing the things we like, sharing the science of healthy living and lifestyle, then as you said, let us.

Edited by tim12

It isn't good.

No, you really are better without many things in life. Most people aren't able to be moderate. This board encourages a lifestyle of proper balance based on large amounts of research; telling people to do what feels good is pretty irresponsible when there's an epidemic of disease in this country. Cultural normals don't change with silence. Most people have little to no idea of how profoundly diet and lifestyle affects them, and if I listened to you when I came to this board - writing it all off based on some misguided pleasure principle, well, I'd be pretty sick. Vista and other's have been key players in me taking charge of my health, and making it clear and easy to do so.

Because we're doing the things we like, sharing the science of healthy living and lifestyle, then as you said, let us.

Hey I'm with you, I myself advocate a healthy diet and lifestyle, for sure! However, the diet-acne connection causes utter frustration in lots of people and from experience I can tell it's largely overhyped. Unless one is very ignorant, one knows eating well is important for health. I'm saying that people themselves are going to decide how they want to live.

It isn't good.

No, you really are better without many things in life. Most people aren't able to be moderate. This board encourages a lifestyle of proper balance based on large amounts of research; telling people to do what feels good is pretty irresponsible when there's an epidemic of disease in this country. Cultural normals don't change with silence. Most people have little to no idea of how profoundly diet and lifestyle affects them, and if I listened to you when I came to this board - writing it all off based on some misguided pleasure principle, well, I'd be pretty sick. Vista and other's have been key players in me taking charge of my health, and making it clear and easy to do so.

Hey I'm with you, I myself advocate a healthy diet and lifestyle, for sure! However, the diet-acne connection causes utter frustration in lots of people and from experience I can tell it's largely overhyped. Unless one is very ignorant, one knows eating well is important for health. I'm saying that people themselves are going to decide how they want to live.

No. It's underhyped. In fact it's a secret known only to a very few. And very few people have any idea how bad their diet is and what it is doing to them. That is why, as I said before, this is a culture filled with such sickly people with lifestyle diseases now the biggest killers and the fasted growing diseases in history.

Besides, the OP asked for diet advice. That would be why I answered her question with actual information. Unlike your posts. She wants to know.

It isn't good.

If people's body and mind told them how to eat there wouldn't be fast food restaurants on every corner. Wheat is a very poor choice of food.

No. It's underhyped. In fact it's a secret known only to a very few. And very few people have any idea how bad their diet is and what it is doing to them. That is why, as I said before, this is a culture filled with such sickly people with lifestyle diseases now the biggest killers and the fasted growing diseases in history.

Amen.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant

Hey I'm with you, I myself advocate a healthy diet and lifestyle, for sure! However, the diet-acne connection causes utter frustration in lots of people.

Diet changes cause frustration in people only when they've been eating such a bad diet of primarily processed foods and so little real, unprocessed foods that they have no idea what to eat when trying to avoid or reduce grains and other processed foods. We get posts all the time from people who just can't imagine what they could possible eat for breakfast every day without cereal, toast and donuts. What to eat for lunch every day if not a sandwich. And they think they need grains to fill them up because they've been filling themselves up on these empty and nearly empty calories in place of food with nutrients.

And you haven't been advocating a healthy diet here. you've been doing the opposite.

Edited by alternativista

Hey I'm with you, I myself advocate a healthy diet and lifestyle, for sure! However, the diet-acne connection causes utter frustration in lots of people.

Diet changes cause frustration in people only when they've been eating such a bad diet of primarily processed foods and so little real, unprocessed foods that they have no idea what to eat when trying to avoid or reduce grains and other processed foods. We get posts all the time from people who just can't imagine what they could possible eat for breakfast every day without cereal, toast and donuts. What to eat for lunch every day if not a sandwich. And they think they need grains to fill them up because they've been filling themselves up on these empty and nearly empty calories in place of food with nutrients.

And you haven't been advocating a healthy diet here. you've been doing the opposite.

Nope, I haven't. I never even said what people should eat. I'm talking about the frustration (and you know it) about having to think whether a particular food will contribute to acne or not. That's not freedom. People should like to eat things, not to be so damn picky and unfree. This is just a hype and many people fall for it. When they didn't have acne they didn't care and that's the way it's supposed to be in my mind. Doesn't mean at all that one should eat processed and other junk foods often, that's nonsense. Acne in the average case is not caused by diet, period.

How is it I eat what I like and don't have problems with skin? Are my genetics far superior to yours? I don't think so. Of course they aren't. The main thing related to this disease called acne is something different and heck it's largely unknown in the west, for whatever reason.

If people's body and mind told them how to eat there wouldn't be fast food restaurants on every corner. Wheat is a very poor choice of food.

You can't escape from a bad diet. If it's really bad, it will affect your health in the long run. It will also affect your mind. One has to decide for oneself. Not all people are utterly stupid as alternativista seems to say so much... Yes, people have to learn what does them good. What do people think judging the world a sick place full of idiots? Sure we have quite a weird food culture in the west nowadays, but don't forget that lots of people love their donuts, ice cream etc. I don't like your message of all this being from the devil. Take care

This thread is interesting because at the moment, after a year and half of abstaining from wholemeal bread, i have, on the advice of my doctor, tried to reintroduce it back into my diet. Half an hour after eating my about 4 slices of bread yesterday (and some dark soya chocolate) my beard area became my very itchy. I showed it to my mum and she said the swelling looked like hives. it went away after a few hours but this morning i woke up with a few small spots around my mouth (havent had them there for awhile)

Today i ate some wholemeal bread again and the same reaction (although slightly less severe) happened. One of my spots on my temple has become massively swollen too.

I dont think all this is a coincidence but i've been struggling with acne for so long nothing surprises me anymore.

Half an hour after eating my about 4 slices of bread yesterday (and some dark soya chocolate) my beard area became my very itchy.

Bosie, sounds like a typical allergic reaction to me. Are you allergic to something?

This thread is interesting because at the moment, after a year and half of abstaining from wholemeal bread, i have, on the advice of my doctor, tried to reintroduce it back into my diet. Half an hour after eating my about 4 slices of bread yesterday (and some dark soya chocolate) my beard area became my very itchy. I showed it to my mum and she said the swelling looked like hives. it went away after a few hours but this morning i woke up with a few small spots around my mouth (havent had them there for awhile)

Today i ate some wholemeal bread again and the same reaction (although slightly less severe) happened. One of my spots on my temple has become massively swollen too.

I dont think all this is a coincidence but i've been struggling with acne for so long nothing surprises me anymore.

It's not uncommon for food intolerances resulting in breakouts within hours of ingestion, as is the case with many of us here. Oranges give me cysts pretty quick, and wheat breaks me out within a day. The acne is different from the regular kind in that it's much more painful/itchy, and also in recurring spots (most of my cysts from food are in the temple area, and certain spots that would always break out). They also cause many other health problems throughout the body, so staying away from foods that you are intolerant to is a good idea!

I have read/heard that if you cut something out of your diet for a set period of time you can initiate an allergic response. The examples had been people becoming allergic to dairy if they cut it out for some other reason and then tried to reintroduce it. I don't know if that is what is happening here, but thought I would share since you had gone so long without the food. Has anyone else heard of this??

It's not uncommon for food intolerances resulting in breakouts within hours of ingestion, as is the case with many of us here. Oranges give me cysts pretty quick, and wheat breaks me out within a day. The acne is different from the regular kind in that it's much more painful/itchy, and also in recurring spots (most of my cysts from food are in the temple area, and certain spots that would always break out). They also cause many other health problems throughout the body, so staying away from foods that you are intolerant to is a good idea!

Most of my brekouts are around the temple area (which scar massively) or around the mouth (which thankfully don't scar). My acne on the nose and forhead is rarely ever inflammed and its just the usal blackheads and whiteheads.

The results from my blood test came back the other day and my liver function, vitamin d3 levels, and loads of other things are all fine. The only thing that was bad was a slight deficiencey in potassium.

Anyway to cut a long story short my doctor recommended i reintroduce gluten back in my diet to help me put on weight and also so that if i have another blood test in six weeks time (this time for celiac disease) then there will be enough antibodies (???) in my system to determine if i'm reacting badly to gluten. I think it's pretty obvious that i'm reacting badly to what is being reintroduced.

I'm talking about the frustration (and you know it) about having to think whether a particular food will contribute to acne or not. That's not freedom. People should like to eat things, not to be so damn picky and unfree. [...] Acne in the average case is not caused by diet, period.

Amen. Also, most health problems, including dietary ones can be trumped by daily exercise.

I personally eat what I want and work it off in the gym. Both are great sources of pleasure and happiness =]

Nope, I haven't. I never even said what people should eat. I'm talking about the frustration (and you know it) about having to think whether a particular food will contribute to acne or not. That's not freedom. People should like to eat things, not to be so damn picky and unfree. This is just a hype and many people fall for it. When they didn't have acne they didn't care and that's the way it's supposed to be in my mind. Doesn't mean at all that one should eat processed and other junk foods often, that's nonsense. Acne in the average case is not caused by diet, period.

How is it I eat what I like and don't have problems with skin? Are my genetics far superior to yours? I don't think so. Of course they aren't. The main thing related to this disease called acne is something different and heck it's largely unknown in the west, for whatever reason.

You can't escape from a bad diet. If it's really bad, it will affect your health in the long run. It will also affect your mind. One has to decide for oneself. Not all people are utterly stupid as alternativista seems to say so much... Yes, people have to learn what does them good. What do people think judging the world a sick place full of idiots? Sure we have quite a weird food culture in the west nowadays, but don't forget that lots of people love their donuts, ice cream etc. I don't like your message of all this being from the devil. Take care

I appreciate the realism with which you approach western culture, but it seems contradictory to your idea of people not being utterly stupid tongue.png Joking aside, I think there's a greater portion of people who just don't care, but there still are people who would try out dietary/lifestyle changes if they knew what it could do, which is why we're here discussing what we do. Sadly, it's not even western culture anymore - it's more like the dominant culture worldwide. I have a hard time believing that it's simply correlation that the within the same generation where a SAD is adopted in pretty much every culture, our diseases are also adopted. Food profoundly affects gene expression, and though I'm not the biggest fan of some of their dietary recommendations, Weston A. Price's observations are pretty shocking. He saw spikes in dental and bone structure abnormalities. The fact is, all of these diseases are rising in the percentage of the population affected, suggesting that there's more than genes at play.

And just because your skin is fine, it doesn't mean that other things aren't going on. As with the stress of avoiding food, it isn't for me at this point. As you've said, it's cultural perception, and the perspective of the individual. This is true for everyone. The biggest difference is whether or not a certain food is good or bad for you. I'm all for moderation, but when there's a good body of evidence of so called incurable genetic diseases cured by elimination diets, like adhd, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, ibs, and even acne, then it becomes clear imo that diet is the most important link to health that we have - though sleep, exercise, low stress, etc are all very important.

And being realistic, I've long accepted that my type 2 diabetic ridden family members will likely not switch to an all organic diet, and I'm fine with that. The main killers that I think everyone could easily cut out are the rancid PUFAS like canola oil and other heart disease killers, and all the added sugary drinks, and processed foods in general. Aspartame sucks, but it won't kill someone as fast as a soda. Of course, here we're talking about optimal health. Some people only need to cut out dairy, or maybe drink more water - but there are a number of us who had to revamp many things to get clear, and it's for the better in the end. If someone can't adapt, that's fine, but let's be realistic about what the science says. We definitely need more research, but I'd rather er on the side of being safe, and go with what my body says, as you say.

Edited by tim12

Hey, if you can eat whatever you want and not have skin problems more power to you. If you can exercise your skin problems away, more power to you. Unfortunately many of us don't have that sort of situation and do need to watch every single thing we eat.

Eat it if you feel like it. smile.png

Why are you posting here? So, i'm going to start a thread called "should i eat doughnuts?" And you're response will be..."eat it if you feel like it."

As Tim12 stated earlier, telling people to do what feels good is irresponsible when there's an epidemic of disease in this country.

Also just about every post i've read of yours seems very passive and/or uninformed

Edited by onefatalgoose

Eat it if you feel like it. smile.png

Why are you posting here? So, i'm going to start a thread called "should i eat doughnuts?" And your(!) response will be..."eat it if you feel like it."

As Tim12 stated earlier, telling people to do what feels good is irresponsible when there's an epidemic of disease in this country.

Also just about every post i've read of yours seems very passive and/or uninformed

Indeed, if you were to make a post like that it's just what I would say. Because these threads are pointless. YOU have to know your body and decide what you want to do to it yourself. Sorry, I don't care if you think my posts are passive/uninformed, they aren't.