Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stoneman

Possible correlation between acne and eczema?

I was just thinking to myself yesterday, how did my acne start? What did I do to trigger it? Cos my face was completely clear til I was 15; my mid-teens. I heard from alot of acne sites that males can start to get acne from the ages of 10 to 20. And mine didn't start til I was 15 so that means I was completely clear for 5 years during the male acne onset period. So what went wrong from 15-20 years old?

Some other sites been saying that acne is hereditary or depending on if the person has had a history of skin condition(s). So I went to investigate by starting with my family. I asked my older brother (whos clear now and is 26 years old); if he had eczema when he was about 4,5,6,7 years old. And he told me he did. I asked my dad and little brother too and they did aswell and so did I when I was about 6-8 years old. But guess what, my mum has never had any type of skin condition in her life and neither have any of my sisters. Yet, my brothers, my dad and me all had eczema as children and we all had acne as teenagers/adults.

Does anyone think that there may be a relationship here? I mean if you had a skin condition before such as eczema; does it mean that we're primed for acne later on in our lives? If this is true then maybe the doctors and dermatologists should have discovered this by now right? And be able to prevent it? Anyone agree or disagree?

stoneman, interesting topic- i happen to suffer from both as well. after suffering from severe eczema my whole life, i began doing research. i eventually found links between candida yeast and a condition called leaky gut, and eczema. basically it required lots of extreme dietary changes. so i did the dietary change, and stopped drinking fluids with my meals, an not only did my acne improve, but my eczema (that once covered over 1/4 of my body) is about 98% gone smile.gif

ohh an the important things for me.. is avoding gluten and dairy. (gluten is a type of wheat in most breads, pastas, and loads of other foods). as long as i avoid these, i dont have a problem with eczema, and my acne does better

I have eczema and acne on my face, too... and I'm on Accutane which kinda makes things worse. Sadcaroline, you mentioned about avoiding gluten and dairy.. how would that affect the eczema?

cliff, doctors may not admit it, but its well known that eczema comes from food allergies. my doctors swore there was NO correlation whatsoever, and that i would have severe eczema for the rest of my life. well i did some research, found the link, avoided those foods, and bam- no eczema smile.gif but if i do eat those foods, i start itching immediately-hahaha i just laugh when i think of my pathetic doctors- seriously, if they were on fire, i wouldnt piss on them to save their lives smile.gif

cliff- did you have eczema before accutane? if not, try not to worry about it. Vitmin A is a known aggravator of eczema, i have gotten horrible eczema when i even take cod liver oil ( has a low dose of vit a in it) but as soon as i stop it, it goes away. i doubt you'll have a major problem with eczema once off the tane

I have never had any eczema in my life, my older brother has had a little when he was younger but had nooooooooo acne and my little sister had a little as well and she has had acne like me.

I would say though too look at, my sister and brother have similar skin types and mine is a bit different. They are slightly more 'olive skinned' than me...

So no relation in my family at least to eczema/acne

caroline.. thanks for the advice! I'll try avoiding those food. Btw, I did have eczema before accutane.. but it wasn't really bad.. in fact.. I could see improvements even on the accutane right now. I only have one problem.. my skin gets itchy in the night.. and I often scratch in the night (without myself realising it) - and sometimes I can see a bit of blood stains on my pillow. Is that the eczema or my acne problem? How can I avoid that. Thnx

Yeah, skin conditions and internal health problems go hand in hand. So skin problems associated with excess androgen productions are dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, and of course acne along with alopecia and hirsutism. I happen to have semi-dry/dry skin elsewhere, dandruff (past few years) and dry patches (???) off and on, slight alopecia & hirsutism. I changed my diet a bit more recently (no hydrogenated oils & corn syrup, & almonds) and my skin is soooo much drier now including my face (which was always oily), but thankfully no dry patches.

Doctors will tell you that eczema is caused by missing enzymes unable to break down food properly. Processed foods overwork the liver and the body in general, i think people with eczema lack enzymez in general like a lower count overall. End result being the body has to eliminate the toxins somehow, last resort being the skin. Intesresting theory don't you think? lol

Theres a book somewhere on it from an old author back in the 20s about how blood toxicity is the cause of all diseases and of writing this today has yet to be disproven.

I'm about to go on an all out diet of fruit and vegatables cooked in nothing hotter then steamed. Overcooking veggies destroys their own enzymes which in turn means the body has to use it's own. If his theory is right and my skin clears i'll let you all know smile.gif

YES!!!!!! I think there's a correlation. I had severe eczema (on my feet!!! lol.gif ) when I was in first grade, have mild eczema now, and have had cystic acne since I turned 13. My only sibling (sister) never had either acne or eczema.

I only recently thought about this correlation, and started doing research on eczema. I read in a fairly recent article that individuals with eczema fail to produce natural antibiotics that those without eczema do produce. Interesting that treatments for acne are usually oral or topical antibiotics!

My question is, wtf are these doctors DOING? I'm sorry I'm cynical, but for the love of God, why haven't they done this research???

Oh, and about this diet thing--can you point us to a website? I'd love to try it.

My question is, wtf are these doctors DOING?  I'm sorry I'm cynical, but for the love of God, why haven't they done this research???