Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HLJ

2 Months Of Retin-A Micro And Still Tons Of Painful Pustules. Normal Or Not?

I have been on Retin-A Micro for a teeny bit over 2 months now, as well as Finacea for 3 months and Aczone for at least a year now. I used to use the Aczone in combination with Differin (which didn't work), which is why I've been on it longer. However, I'm not seeing results. I have noticed the combo of these meds is making my red marks fade faster, but the pimples just keep on coming. And they're big, inflamed, pus-filled pimples that HURT and are nearly the size of M&Ms. These have mostly been cropping up on my chin, and my only ray of light at the moment is that they have to stop soon because my chin isn't that big and there are't that many places left for them to pop up! ROFL. Seriously, though, the minute one starts to heal another one starts to grow in another area. NO JOKE. It's ridiculous. I'm tired of my face hurting when I eat or smile or lay my head on my pillow a certain way. I honestly thought Retin-A Micro would be working better by now. Is this normal? Could Retin-A Micro still end up working for me later on? I'm losing faith, tbh.... I use a great cleanser and a toner of apple cider vinegar mixed with an alcohol-free toner containing cucumber extract, witch hazel, and aloe vera. I occasionally use glycolic acid as well, and moisturize daily with a very high quality manuka honey moisturizer. And I use Proactiv's sulfer mask and a moisturizing mask that's supposed to help speed up skin cell renewal. I'm doing everything I can and spending money out the whazoo, and yet I feel like a leper with sores all over my face, or a circus freak...

This is actually really normal! I've never used retin-a micro but I'm currently using just plain old retin-a. Retinoids can take up to six months to start seeing results, and the full results usually take a year or so. Keep at it and just try to keep faith in this medication, even though I know it's REALLY hard. I used to absolutely HATE retin-a because it seemed to make my skin worse, but I just hadn't given it nearly enough time to work. Now I love it most days. rolleyes.gif

How often do you use glycolic acid and Proactive mask that contains Sulfur? Retin a micro cream is mild and gentle (0.04%-0.1%) I dont know what is yours.

I hope you will see the result soon, please be patient.

Edited by oiy123

It has now been 3 months on Retin-A micro .04% gel and I'm still getting cystic acne. Just yesterday I woke up, face was looking somewhat decent, but by the end of the day I discovered two new slightly painful lumps under my skin in the shower. I'm losing hope.

HLJ, i am on retin A (atralin brand) and i am at the 3 month mark and still breaking out in inflamed bumps so you are not alone. It is not unusual to no see improvement till 4, 5 or 6 months. I plan on sticking it out till month 4 and then go see my derm to see if i need to up my percentage or try something else altogether. Acne is VERY frustrating but we can't give up. Keep your head up......we will all eventually fine something that works for us (i am hopeful of this)

Do you think the issue could partially be because of the strength (.04%, etc)?

It could be, but that doesn't mean you should run to a higher percentage. If the .04 makes your face raw and excessively dry then you probably don't want to up percentage. If you're face is just normal dryness and acne, then that could be a possibility. I would suggest waiting till around 4 months before you go see ur derm again. Keep me posted. How bad is your acne btw?

Moderate, I'd say. But even though my acne isn't AAAAALLL over my face, because it's mostly cysts and pustules, it's very frustrating. I don't seem to get more "normal" acne - the smaller bumps with just mild redness.