Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frogslegs

Eyebrow Threading

Hello, hope I'm posting in the right section!

I'm just finishing my first month of Accutane and it says in the information booklet that came with my prescription not to get any cosmetic procedures including waxing done while on Accutane because of increased sensitivity and possible scarring.

My eyebrows are very dark and I inherited my lovely Granda's bushy eyebrows, and they grow pretty quickly. Fortunately they've been really good since starting accutane and I haven't needed to get them done, but they're getting there..

I've only gotten my eyebrows threaded once before and it hurt like a mother despite what I've read, however they only use a string so I figure it should be okay to get them threaded while on Accutane, right?

Has anyone gotten their eyebrows threaded whilst on Accutane? Haas it caused any sort of irritation or scarring on the surrounding area?

I'm not on accutane, but I've been getting my eyebrows threaded since I've been using Retin-A (they say if you get them waxed while using a retinoid it can rip off the top layer of your skin... something I'm not willing to to chance!). But I've had absolutely no problems with the threading. I would imagine it would be fine. Hopefully someone who's on the 'tane will chime in rolleyes.gif

Great thank you! I figure it should be fine because it's not actually ripping off the skin, it's just pulling out the hair. :)

I've been wondering about this too. I'd heard the same thing about using benzoyl peroxide as it thins and dries out the skin. Do you think threading would be okay to do in this case also?

It makes sense that it would as it's just pulling out the hair... though I do remember tweezing hair had caused a bit of bleeding (possibly from the follicle?) for me in the past...

Really? I've had very minor bleeding before when tweezing, even while at a professional, in some cases and it was just a spot of blood from the pore after the hair was taken out.

I can't vouch for it while on Accutane or BP but I would think you'd be okay to do it!

I've done threading before and I thought it hurt like hell (way worse than waxing! I guess I'm weird), but it is supposed to be good for Accutane/sensitive skin. Your cosmetologist or whoever is doing your eyebrows should know whether or not it's safe.

I'm so with you on that, l'espoir! I got them one once before and I thought it hurt WAY worse than waxing, despite the fact that I've read almost everywhere that it doesn't hurt at all, and if so, barely at all!

I'm hoping they'll know if it's okay. I think I read somewhere else on the site on a FAQ or something in the forums that threading was OK.

I made the mistake of accidentally using an at-home wax once... horrible.

Threading is my go-to for facial hair removal on retinoids.

I still wax for other things because the retinoid use is only on my face.

Yikes! Hope you've recovered well!

I got my eyebrows threaded today... second time ever. Oh my gosh it hurt so badly I don't remember the last time I've been in that much pain! Don't let that put you off, though! She was saying that I had waited too long to get them done again (it HAS been about a month and a half since getting them waxed before I started my course), so therefore it hurt more. she said if I would have gone in about 4 weeks later then it wouldn't have hurt so bad.

Not to mention, I have very thick eyebrows!

They look good though! I had a bit of redness like waxing but it faded really quickly. ALso, last night and this morning my face was pretty sensitive, I think I got a sunburn, so that may have upped the antes!

Although threading is definitely not, and probably won't be, my go-to hair removal for my face, it's perfect for Accutane/retinoid users!

Edited by frogslegs

I've been doing eyebrow threading and upper lip threading for almost a year and believe me, it's the best feeling ever! At first it hurted but after continued routine it's not really painful. It's bearable like a quick sting! I've personally never tried waxing, as I heard threading is perfect for those with sensitive skin and for those using retinoids. I've always been using topical retinoids, and already been on Retin A for almost 6 months now and threading hasn't damaged my skin - although I tend to get a few more breakouts after threading so make sure you use a toner afterwards :)