Notifications
Clear all

Cheese

MemberMember
(@nuke-acne)

Posted : 04/05/2012 2:26 am

This probably has been discussed before but what cheese should I get that does not cause acne?

MemberMember
(@annayake)

Posted : 04/05/2012 7:55 am

If you want to improve your acne I'd say... none. It's the protein (casein) in milk which causes keratinization, and cheese is basically condensed protein. Ricotta is more whey based, but it is still pretty rich in casein, and it's probably not the universal-use type of cheese you are looking for.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/05/2012 9:21 am

You should limit your consumption of cheese and only after you've determined that you do not have any intolerance to it. And fermented and goat dairy tend to be better than unfermented and cow.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 04/07/2012 6:37 am

Cheese also contains Soy & Wheat (probably a 100 other "things" as well). Lots of "fillers" in cheese.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 04/10/2012 11:39 pm

The higher fat content, the better. It's good fuel for my low-carb lifestyle and has never given me any problems, but some people struggle with any kind of dairy. Real cheese shouldn't have 12 added ingredients you can't pronounce.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/11/2012 12:10 am

Cheese dosen't cause acne.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 04/11/2012 8:13 pm

It does, go do some more research.

Lets say that we were lower intelligent animals that doesn't "invent" new food. We only eat what nature offers us. Then there would be much less diseases and acne nearly wouldn't exist.

Refining, Dairy, grain fed meat all that are non natural if you think of it and all cause break outs. Dairy is BAD!.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/11/2012 10:06 pm

It does, go do some more research.

Lets say that we were lower intelligent animals that doesn't "invent" new food. We only eat what nature offers us. Then there would be much less diseases and acne nearly wouldn't exist.

Refining, Dairy, grain fed meat all that are non natural if you think of it and all cause break outs. Dairy is BAD!.

I'm not even going to bother to point out the fallacies in this drivel.

I'll just restate my original post.

Cheese doesn't cause acne.

MemberMember
(@annayake)

Posted : 04/12/2012 5:07 am

Seriously? But I get your problem, I've tried to find you some linguistic purists' boards to share your time between it and acne.org, and there are none. Guess you're stuck with the .org.

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 04/12/2012 6:15 am

Seriously? But I get your problem, I've tried to find you some linguistic purists' boards to share your time between it and acne.org, and there are none. Guess you're stuck with the .org.

No he's right, cheese doesn't CAUSE acne, it can AGGRAVATE acne if you already have it, but if you have no acne whatsoever then cheese will not make your break out. But cheese and dairy products will make acne worse so I would stay away from them.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 04/12/2012 6:24 am

Then what causes acne? Tell me

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 04/12/2012 7:39 am

Eat whatever you like when you feel like it

MemberMember
(@annayake)

Posted : 04/12/2012 9:01 am

Then what causes acne? Tell me

No he's right, cheese doesn't CAUSE acne, it can AGGRAVATE acne if you already have it, but if you have no acne whatsoever then cheese will not make your break out. But cheese and dairy products will make acne worse so I would stay away from them.

Then what causes acne? IF its not what you eat is it what you put on your face? No..

Its all internal. If we all had balanced natural diet our hormones and insulin wouldnt be crazy in the first place. Diet causes acne, but what you do externally to it aggravates it.

Diet doesn't cause acne.

And if it did, cheese as a dietary factor would cause it.

However yes, it's all internal, acne is a symptom, not an illness, it doesn't have causes, it has triggers. A person who is awfully seek, can live his/her entire life with a clear skin, and another one can develop acne due to a minor malfunction... So 'causes' in this case is an obvious mental shortcut. I guess we don't cope here with an alabaster-skinned person who just happened to jam into acne boards to ensure himself hat he'll maintain his wonderful complexion Despite persisting on eating this Evil, Evil cheese...

If we have all eaten a perfectly balanced, nutritious and good quality diet, then we wouldn't have acne, among all the other civilizational 'diseases', because we would be healthy, hence we wouldn't manifest any pathological symptoms. Acne is skin's metabolic disorder, it is not how a healthy person looks like and it shouldn't be neglected as a barely aestetic issue, but it shouldn't be a reason to overwhelm already struggling body with retinoids, lexical arguments and such wink.png

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/12/2012 10:46 am

Then what causes acne? IF its not what you eat is it what you put on your face? No..

Combination of factors contribute to the system that results in the symptom of acne. And there are many ways dairy contributes. It's common to be intolerant to it (lactose intolerance and allergy), it contains IGF-1, it's insulinemic which means it boosts your body's production of IGF1, low/non fat dairy can be high GI which boosts IGF1 and inflammation , dairy from grain fed cows is inflammatory...

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 04/12/2012 2:01 pm

Everyone is born with different food tolerances/intolerances and hormonal levels. These are part of our genetics, just like our hair color and our height are determined by our genetics. We acne sufferers all have the genetics for an unusually high amount of hormones, just like some people are unusually tall or unusually short. So our high amount of hormones make our oil glands produce a high amount of oil, which clogs our pores and causes acne. If we eat the wrong foods, they can increase the hormones even more causing more pimples. People who don't have acne have a lower amount of hormones, so when they eat bad food their hormones might raise as well, but not enough to reach that threshold of getting acne.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/12/2012 2:41 pm

EPeople who don't have acne have a lower amount of hormones,

Not nocessarily. And we don't necessarily have excessive amounts of hormones either.

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 04/12/2012 11:21 pm

Combination of factors contribute to the system that results in the symptom of acne. And there are many ways dairy contributes. It's common to be intolerant to it (lactose intolerance and allergy), it contains IGF-1, it's insulinemic which means it boosts your body's production of IGF1, low/non fat dairy can be high GI which boosts IGF1 and inflammation , dairy from grain fed cows is inflammatory...

+1

It's important to note, as someone noted that the protein casein is isolated and concentrated in the protein coagulation necessary to make cheese. Casein intolerance and indigestibility is very common. You can understand the causality in acne's aggravation from there. However, the claim that casein leads to hyperkeratosis I've never heard of.

Whoever also makes the argument that cheese doesn't cause acne, the semantics isn't the point. "Aggravating preexisting predispositions to acne formation" hopefully is assumed anyway. We're all discussing this topic with a context that those with genetic predisposition can cause the epigenetic changes with things like cheese.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/13/2012 4:48 am

+1

It's important to note, as someone noted that the protein casein is isolated and concentrated in the protein coagulation necessary to make cheese. Casein intolerance and indigestibility is very common. You can understand the causality in acne's aggravation from there. However, the claim that casein leads to hyperkeratosis I've never heard of.

Whoever also makes the argument that cheese doesn't cause acne, the semantics isn't the point. "Aggravating preexisting predispositions to acne formation" hopefully is assumed anyway. We're all discussing this topic with a context that those with genetic predisposition can cause the epigenetic changes with things like cheese.

We are arguing to end ignorance. You are helping to fuel ignorance.

Cheese can trigger acne, if you genetically predisposed. Cheese can not, and will not cause acne.

Semantics is important because language defines our reality.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 04/13/2012 6:16 am

+1

We are arguing to end ignorance. You are helping to fuel ignorance.

Cheese can trigger acne, if you genetically predisposed. Cheese can not, and will not cause acne.

Semantics is important because language defines our reality.

Maybe its just other people or just me but I know for a fact if I keep on eating cheese all day its proven that I'll have painful bumps under my skin the next day or so.

There is hormones in dairy that we have today, and what causes acne overall? Hormones basically. And, it isn't easy for our stomach to digest them.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/13/2012 8:22 am

However, the claim that casein leads to hyperkeratosis I've never heard of. .

I've never heard of it either. But the IGF1 and BTC in/stimulated by dairy affect hyperkeritinization. It also contains a precursor to DHT.

http://www.acne.org/...ost__p__2580171

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/17/2012 3:45 am

It's the protein (casein) in milk which causes keratinization.

Care to elaborate on that, please? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 05/17/2012 6:55 am

It's the protein (casein) in milk which causes keratinization.

Care to elaborate on that, please? Thank you.

it basically is an ingredient found in glue, it can clog your system. Thats why goat milks are better choice. Even almond milk if you like kefir.

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/17/2012 7:01 am

I mean, in terms of keratinization.

MemberMember
(@annayake)

Posted : 05/17/2012 7:17 am

Differential induction of insulin and IGF-1 by milk protein fractions

The major protein fraction of cowas milk is casein (80%), and the remaining 20% are whey proteins. The effect of

whey and casein fractions of milk on fasting concentrations of IGF-1 and insulin has been examined in fifty-seven

8-year-old boys who received over 7 days either casein or whey proteins in amounts similar to that found in 1.5 l of

skim milk. In the casein group, serum IGF-1 increased by 15%, whereas there was no change in fasting insulin. In the

whey group, fasting insulin increased by 21%, with no change in IGF-1 (89). The insulin response to a whey meal

has been reported to be higher than that of a milk meal. This differential response suggests that the insulinotropic

component of milk resides predominantly within the whey fraction, whereas casein has a stronger IGF-1 stimulating

effect than does whey (89).

2) IGF-1 in milk appears to increase your insulin levels and possibly increases IGF-1 production inside your body. Excessively high insulin levels are a huge problem for women with PCOS, resulting in a condition called "insulin resistance." Insulin resistance in turn is a driving force behind infertility, weight gain, and all the other symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

3) IGF-1 stimulates an enzyme called 5alpha-reductase. 5alpha-reductase in turn stimulates the production of DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is thought to be the #1 cause of acne, hirsutism, and hair loss.

from Alternativista's http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/294804-acne-dairy-and-cancer-the-5alpha-p-link/

(Sorry, now that I've quoted the sources I can see that I've simplified the info for my personal use.)

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/17/2012 8:38 am

Well done.

I have one of those blood glucose monitoring systems; would that indicate whether I'm insulin resistant or not?