Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the relationship on palm oil and acne? I googled searched and everything and i can't find nothing on this. I eat a lot of peanut butter I'm bulking with weight training. No peanuts don't break me out been eating it for over 6 months with no problems. I was told since i eat so much peanut butter i should switch to natural PB because the normal has hydrogenated oils in it and are bad for overall health. So I grabbed some natty PB and it is made with palm oil. Should i be concerned? Normal peanut butter did not break me out what so ever.

Depends on the palm oil. coconuts are palms, after all. And other palms also produce nuts that are good sources of oil.

Unfortunately it does not specify the type of palm oil. Just says "Ingredients: PEANUTS, Palm oil, contains 2% or less of: Salt." thats all it lists. :/

palm oil is almost certainly better then hydrogenated fats. hydro fats interrupt brain function in strange ways. only bad thing about palm oil is it is slightly higher in saturated fat then say, olive oil, but only slightly. it also contains a similar amount of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oil like olive oil.

even better is just get all natural peanut butter without anything added except peanuts. but anyone who has acne, i generally say to reduce nut intake, olives are a better source of fat, which are more likely to help your skin then peanut butter, but these are general rules of course.

when they say palm oil on the label, they do not mean coconut palm, that would likely raise the cost by alot, food manufacturers try to keep the cost as low as possible because its hard to make a profit in the food industry, they could use coconut, but that would put them in a smaller market in a gourment foods classification, but that is my best guess anyways.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

when they say palm oil on the label, they do not mean coconut palm, that would likely raise the cost by alot, food manufacturers try to keep the cost as low as possible because its hard to make a profit in the food industry, they could use coconut, but that would put them in a smaller market in a gourment foods classification, but that is my best guess anyways.

Yes, I am sure it is not coconut oil or they would have said so. I didn't mean to imply that it might be. I only brought it up because palm oil has been so demonized and coconuts are palms. There's no reason to think that only one in all the many varieties of palms is healthy while the others or not. And others are just as good if not better. I just haven't memorized their names.

I'd be far more concerned about peanuts than palm oil. Palm oil, like other saturated fats, is good for the skin

Hey Reapt, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also trying to gain weight, and I've been eating regular peanut butter for a while without breaking out, so I switched to natural peanut butter with palm oil. I can't believe we did exactly the same thing.

Anyway, I have been breaking out for the past few days. I'm guessing it's from either the peanut butter or the fruit I was eating. I stopped eating fruit for now, so we'll see if I still break out. I hope it's not the peanut butter because I really want to gain weight and people with acne have limited food options...

I'm still breaking out today so I stopped eating the natural peanut butter and I switched to the regular kind again. It's been 3 days since I had fruit, so I"m probably not breaking out from that. Now we'll see if the natural peanut butter was breaking me out.

Palm oil breaks me out now that I am in my 40's. It is in the better chocolate, ice cream, and oreo's and a lot of things lately. It is a substitute for butter in a lot recipes, where butter would melt. You will also find that a lot of food manufacturers use it at different times of the year. When weather is warmer, they will use palm over other oils, because palm will still be solid in hot temperature. (Hostess brand uses two different formulas for their icing based on the seasonal temperatures, so it can be transported by truck). I see that my knock-off Oreo's say "May contain one or more of the following oils: Canola, Palm, Soybean, or Corn. That is so they can change the formula. Norway is now banning Palm Oil. And you will find some foreign food labels disclose if it has over 2% Palm Oil.

Apparently, my body can't metabolize this high fat saturated oil. One Kit Kat bar, and I have white pimples all around my mouth and jaw the next day.