Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
|NeO|

Success with Tetracycline ?

I have never been prescribed an antibiotic for my acne. Today I went into the doctors office and he didnt even call my condition "acne" he called it "zits" because he said it was minor. I have been the 3 doctors in the past 2.5 years and they have prescribed me some bullshit topicals that worked temporarily but then stopped working and made me break out again. Today I told him I was tired of rubbing cream on my face and I would like something that would rid of my acne once and for all. He prescribed me Tetracycline in 250g's pills. I'm supposed to take 2 in the morning and 2 at night for a month then go back to him. Has anyone here with acne (specifically mild acne or worse) had any success with this antibiotic? I am really looking forward to being clear once and for all.

OK so after reading about tetracycline on this board I have become sooo discouraged because theres people on this board claiming that they used tetra for about a year and it really helped clear them up but then the acne became immune to the tetra and came back "stronger than ever". I am soo skeptical now I dont know if i should take it or not because I really dont want "stronger" bacteria coming back after I become immune to it:(

But then again, some people on this board make such stupid claims. My doctor told me that i would see a noticeable difference a month from now (he only gave me a month prescription) and theres people on here saying that it took them up to 3 months to see any result, then theres other people saying that they have been on it for a year with no improvement whatsoever. I dont even know what to believe anymore sad.gif I bet if I ever did become immune to this pill my acne would be less prominent or as "bad" as it is now (before even having taken anything)

i had ZERO success on tetracyclene or minocycline (the next level up from tetra). Some people have success though, each person is different. I realized my acne was hormonal, so antibiotics wouldn't help it.

I had light/moderate acne (maybe 5 -6 red bumps, 2 pimples at a time, plus some blackheads) before starting Tetracycline.

I have been taking it for almost two months now, and I have had lots of improvement!

I rarely, if ever, get a red bump, and I have only had 2 pimples in the month and a half! The blackheads are still there, but are very reduced in size. I do, however, have some skin-coloured bumps on my cheeks, but they are not very noticeable. I have 1 1/2 more months before I see my doctor again, and he will decide whether or not I need to be on it further.

I have also started using SA and BP to remove the rest of the problems on my face that the Tetracycline doesn't seem to be able to handle.

I went on and off Tetra for about 5 years. I think I first went on sometime in High School, though it could have been just after. I think I'd describe my experience with Tetra like this... its a pain in the ass, but for my moderate acne it did help. I by no means was free of acne.. I'd still get sometimes several deep cystic infections and the little ones were always coming and going. I got sick of the side-effects (for me these include nausia as you have to take it on an empty stomach, and intense heart-burn at night), and stopped for awhile. I can honestly say things got worse, and they got slightly better when I went back on. Recently, as I mentioned in another post, I stopped Tetra altogether to try Accutane. The real problem with Tetra is, even if you don't build up an immunity to it, you will be taking it forever. When you stop, the acne comes back. That is probably the biggest 'side effect' which merits serious consideration. On the other hand, its dirt cheap so why not give it a try? Let us know how it goes.

Tetra is just an antibiotic, and as such it will wear off eventually. There is no "once and for all" when it comes to acne. Unless your among those that grow out of it.

well its helping so far, i havent gotten a new pimple since i started taking it, my face looks good, i think my doctor is going to get me to use it until my skin is clear then hes gonna put me on someting else to help keep it clear

My doctor also prescribed me tetera except the dosage weren't that high. l saw dramatic results within one month. My acne is mild that was getting to be severe. As far as your body getting immune to the drug, you don't have to worry about it. That usually doesn't happen until couple of months.