Notifications
Clear all

Examples Of How Bad Our 'health' Care System Has Become

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2012 8:43 am

Companion to the 'Examples of how bad the average diet is today' thread. And this is not just about sugar
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you all see the segment on 60 Minutes last night about how added sugar is toxic?

They said very little that would be news to any of us. Obesity, Diabetes, heart disease, etc. One thing that might be new to most, since it's out of the range most of us are concerned about, is it's role in cancer. Tumors are covered in insulin receptors and so take in much of the sugar that should be going to the rest of your cells. And tumors use the sugar to grow.

And when Sanjey Gupta commented that few doctors know about this (the toxicity of sugar not just the cancer thing), the doctor being interviewed said 'no they don't know, this is new.'

But the thing is, it isn't that new. And it isn't secret. We knew. Why don't they?

User410314, Seeking2012, Gladiatoro and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 04/02/2012 10:45 am

Yep, it's disturbing how little they know. Amazing, really.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2012 10:47 am

It makes you wonder if you can trust anything they 'know.'

Yep, it's disturbing how little they know. Amazing, really.

MemberMember
(@tunnelvisionary)

Posted : 04/02/2012 12:28 pm

I watched that with my parents, and I think it made them think more and probably gave me a little credit for what I eat and why.

I kind of laughed when that researcher was surprised by the results of her study in which she replaced 25% of the peoples' calories with soda and juice and they exhibited all sorts of negative effects. It was like...well duh, don't they know that? I always forget that most people don't research nutrition as much as I do, lol.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/02/2012 4:10 pm

oh yea stay away from sugar for sure, and fat, and excess meat.

high sugar intake is related to insulin resistance, high blood sugar and insulin inhibit cellular repair processes and activation of surtuins.

aerobic exercise and caloric restriction play a large role in restoring and activating these repair responses/surtuin genes, largely due to their effects on blood sugar regulation through increasing insulin sensitivity and ability to regulate blood glucose.

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 04/02/2012 8:33 pm

I wanted to watch this and found it. [Link Removed]click on 'Watch The Segment' underneath the video box......For those of us who didn't see it or anyone who might not have cable and wants to watch it.

MemberMember
(@nickftw)

Posted : 04/02/2012 8:58 pm

Hmm, the issue is people do not know how to eat things in moderation, if you eat 100g of sugar a day then your going to not be healthy. Feed a rat his body weight in Splenda everyday for months and he gets cancer... If people used their brains for 5 minutes and ate things in moderation they would be better off. I do not need a doctor to tell me its not healthy to eat sugar and fatty foods all day long.

I am just tired of people complaining and blaming others for their poor diets and health. I am sorry do not rely on others to tell you whats good for you, do some research and not only do you know more but your healthier as well.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/03/2012 8:06 am

Hmm, the issue is people do not know how to eat things in moderation, if you eat 100g of sugar a day then your going to not be healthy. Feed a rat his body weight in Splenda everyday for months and he gets cancer... If people used their brains for 5 minutes and ate things in moderation they would be better off. I do not need a doctor to tell me its not healthy to eat sugar and fatty foods all day long.

What moderation is has become distorted. It's become normal to drink soda every day, with your meals, and maybe even whenever you are thirsty, etc. Adding a soda and fries or chips to your sandwich makes it a 'meal.' One can of Coke has 39 grams of sugar. Many other drinks people perceive as healthier have even more. And you really should never drink sugar, at least, not without a good meal.

Damage will occur any time you take in more sugar than your cells need for energy at any moment in time.

If you don't burn up the stored energy, your cells won't take in more sugar and it will circulate in your bloodstream doing damage and then get taken back into the liver for storage which also causes damage. Meanwhile you pancreas keeps producing insulin desperately trying to get that sugar out of your bloodstream. Because there should not be so much sugar in the bloodstream and if we hadn't invented added sugars and refined carbs, it wouldn't happen.

Glycation - a process in which protein or fat molecules bond to simple sugar molecules creating advanced glycation end products (AGEs) which are implicated in aging, heart disease and diabetes. This is what happens when you consume more sugar than your cells need and will take in. The sugar keeps circulating around in your bloodstream doing damage until it gets back to the liver where it gets turned to triglycerides which raises your LDL especially the small particle LDL that damages arteries. Then excess triglycerides are stored in the liver causing fatty liver disease.

If you are going to eat or drink added sugar, you need to be up and moving around.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2012 11:15 am

Related thread:

American Health Corrupted!!??!! Thoughts??

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 04/12/2012 8:00 am

I love sugar, makes my healthy body feel good when eating it in moderation. Sugar is some great stuff.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/20/2012 9:34 am

Ugh, these kinds of posts frustrate me. Of course they knew! I just LOOOVE how people who aren't doctors think they know so much more than the people who actually are! You have some good information, and some very good points, BUT, like you even pointed out, a little bit of sugar is needed in our diets. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but I find this post to be a bit narrow-minded. Just my opinion though. I usually avoid posting on topics like these because I'll probably have people attacking me, but it gets frustrating when people tell me my acne will magically disappear if I "stop eating chocolate." I feel like I eat a healthy, balanced diet by incorporating whole grains, lean meat, and fruits and vegetables into my meals, and yet I have people telling me I need to cut out foods that I find healthy and make me feel good, especially from people here on acne.org who should be supportive!

. When I first encountered people that told me about how diet, specifically the glycemic impact, affects acne, I argued with them too. But then I started doing my own research. You should try it. Here, let me get you started.

First of all. I would never tell anyone to stop eating chocolate unless that individual is intolerant to it. That you bring chocolate up shows that you suffer from a lot of misconceptions. It isn't the chocolate, its the glycemic impact of whatever you eat/drink.

Now, let's look at my post that you are ranting about.

I was talking about something that aired on a TV show called '60 Minutes.'

It is a respected news program. That means they do a fairly 'good' job.

The interview was conducted by Doctor Sanjay Gupta a respected neurosurgeon who almost became the Surgeon General of the United States.

Doctor Sanjay Gupta said to the other doctor that few doctors know how bad the massive amounts of added sugar in our diets today are for health.

The other doctor said no, they don't know.

There were several doctors and other researchers in this program who all talked about the damage caused by the added sugar in today's diet.

In summary, there were several doctors talking about the toxicity of the added sugars in our diets today. And stating that doctors didn't know this.

Now, try reading the rest of the thread like that. You could get out a piece of paper and note the important points. sometimes that helps. Back in elementary school we used to underline and circle things.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/23/2012 12:13 pm

Note for most people, the issues aren't with fructose from fruit. The body is fully adapted to processing the sugars in fruit. It's added sugars in processed foods and so-called healthy pure fructose sweeteners like agave nectar that are harmful. (and alcohol, which I'm not going to get into, but there's some info on how that is processed in the liver in one of the references).

Also, note that HFCS has only been around for one generation. It was invented in the late 60s and began being adopted by manufacturers in the 70s. I'm fairly positive that New Coke was a cover up for Coca cola's first attempt at the switch from sugar to HFCS in the 80s.

The below is a mess of stuff I copied from some Mercola articles and their references. I am working on consolidating into a more concise explaination

The difference between sugar from fruits and veggies, table sugar, HFCS and pure fructose such as Agave.

First:

-Glucose is the form of energy you were designed to run on. Every cell in your body, every bacterium -- and in fact, every living thing on the Earth -- uses glucose for energy.

-Sucrose (Table sugar) is fructose and glucose bound together and must first be metabolized into glucose and fructose in your intestine. Then the body proceeds to use the glucose for energy and sends the fructose to the liver.

-Fruits and vegetables contain a combination of free fructose and free glucose and sucrose (bound fructose and glucose) and sometimes other sugars.

-HFCS is fructose and glucose (in varying ratios that manufacturers don't have to report) Not bound together. HFCS is a highly processed product that contains similar amounts of unbound fructose and glucose. Sucrose (table sugar), on the other hand, is a larger sugar molecule that is metabolized into glucose and fructose in your intestine.

most fats are formed in your liver, and when sugar enters your liver, it decides whether to store it, burn it or turn it into fat. Fructose, however, bypasses this process and simply turns into fat. Additionally, theres hard empirical evidence showing that refined man-made fructose like HFCS metabolizes to triglycerides and adipose tissue, not blood glucose.

Glucose Metabolism

Once you take in glucose from a meal -- like, say, from two slices of bread -- 80 percent of it is used by all of the organs of your body -- every single cell. The remaining 20 percent goes to your liver to be metabolized and stored.

The following is what happens to that 20 percent, once it reaches your liver:

• Whatever glucose your body doesn't need immediately gets converted into glycogen for storage in the liver. Glycogen is your body's non-toxic short-term energy storage package, where it can be easily converted to energy when you need it. Your liver has no limit to how much glycogen it can store without detrimental effects. (That is what athletes take advantage of when they "carbo-load.")
  • A small amount of pyruvate is produced, which ends up being converted to ATP (the chemical storage form of energy) and carbon dioxide. An even smaller quantity of citrate is produced from this process through the "citrate shuttle," which ends up as VLDL (very low density lipoproteins, the 'bad' ones) in a process known as de novo lipogenesis -- but we're talking about a very small amount (less than one calorie from two slices of bread).
  • Insulin is released by your pancreas in response to the rise in blood glucose (i.e., blood sugar), which helps the glucose get into your cells. Without insulin, your cells would not be able to process the glucose and therefore would have no energy for movement, growth, repair, or other functions. Insulin is key to unlocking the door of the cell to allow the glucose to be transferred from the bloodstream into the cell.
  • When you consume 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie contributes to adverse metabolic outcomes.

This is all very normal, and it's how you were designed to operate.

-------------------------
Article on the badness of the amount of sugar in our diets today: http://articles.merc...20227_DNL_art_1 of course going off into the particularly bad-ness of HFCS. And even better, see: http://articles.merc...Metabolism.aspx

When you consume fructose, 100 percent of it goes directly to your liver to be metabolized. This is why it is a hepatotoxin -- it overloads the liver. Fructose metabolism creates the following adverse effects:

• Fructose is immediately converted to fructose-1-phosphate (F1P), depleting your liver cells of phosphates.
  • The above process produces waste products in the form of uric acid. Uric acid blocks an enzyme that makes nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is your body's natural blood pressure regulator, so when it is blocked, your blood pressure rises -- leading to hypertension.Elevated uric acid levels can also cause gout.
  • Almost all of the F1P is turned into pyruvate, ending up as citrate, which results in de novo lipogenesis, the end products of which are FFAs, VLDLs, and triglycerides. The result -- hyperlipidemia.
  • Fructose stimulates g-3-p (activated glycerol), which you will recall is the crucial molecule for turning FFAs into triglycerides within the fat cells. Remember, the rate of deposition of fat into fat cells is dependent on the presence of g-3-p. The more g-3-p that is available, the more fat is deposited. Fructose is the carbohydrate most efficiently converted into g-3-p11. In other words, fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate.
  • FFAs are exported from the liver and taken up in skeletal muscle, causing skeletal muscle insulin resistance.
  • Some of the FFAs stay in the liver, leading to fat droplet accumulation, hepatic insulin resistance and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)[xiii][xiv].
  • Insulin resistance stresses the pancreas, which pumps out more insulin in response to rising blood sugar as your cells are unable to get the sugar out of your bloodstream, and this can progress to type II diabetes.
  • As with a bolus dose of ethanol, a 120-calorie bolus of fructose results in a large fraction (again, about 40 calories) that directly contributes to disease.

Fructose Metabolism Basics

Dr. Robert Lustig

Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco, has been a pioneer in decoding sugar metabolism. His work has highlighted some major differences in how different sugars are broken down and used:

[*]After eating fructose, 100 percent of the metabolic burden rests on your liver. But with glucose, your liver has to break down only 20 percent.

[*]Every cell in your body, including your brain, utilizes glucose. Therefore, much of it is "burned up" immediately after you consume it. By contrast, fructose is turned into free fatty acids (FFAs), VLDL (the damaging form of cholesterol), and triglycerides, which get stored as fat.

[*]The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in your liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Insulin resistance progresses to metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes.

[*]Fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate. In other words, fructose converts to activated glycerol (g-3-p), which is directly used to turn FFAs into triglycerides. The more g-3-p you have, the more fat you store. Glucose does not do this.

[*]When you eat 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie is stored as fat. 120 calories of fructose results in 40 calories being stored as fat. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat!

[*]The metabolism of fructose by your liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.

[*]Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses your appetite. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with your brain's communication with leptin, resulting in overeating.

If anyone tries to tell you "sugar is sugar," they are way behind the times. As you can see, there are major differences in how your body processes each one.

The bottom line is: fructose leads to increased belly fat, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome -- not to mention the long list of chronic diseases that directly result.

Fructose -

Whereas the glucose in other sugars are converted to blood glucose which is used for energy by every cell in the body, fructose is processed entirely by the liver which converts it to fat in the form of triglycerides. It does not stimulate an insulin response or trigger leptin that controls your appetite.

Elevated triglycerides means elevated levels of Pattern B LDL (or VLDLs) -- smaller, denser LDLs that are able to wedge themselves under your epithelial cells and therefore roughen surfaces and stimulate plaque formation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we got our sugar from fruits and vegetables, we'd consume about 15 grams per day. The average American today consumes over 70 which sounds low to me considering how much is in a soda that people might drink multiple times per day, on top of what they eat.

Also, I've read that the USDA recommends people limit their added sugar intake to 40 grams per day. The CDC recommends you limit it to 25 grams per day. There's 39 grams of sugar from HFCS in one can of coke.

(It's important to understand that the USDA is a much bigger advocate for the sugar and corn growers than it is a protector of your health. And the CDC is a member of our medical 'let's treat everything with a drug' establishment. That said, since I consume some added sugar possibly every day, I'm probably in the CDC camps' idea of healthy limits)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also says that elevated uric acid levels, can be used as a predictor for fructose toxicity. I haven't found details on what is meant by the term fructose toxicity, but I gather they are referring to being particularly sensitive to it and/or having impaired ability to process it.

According to the latest research in this area, the safest range of uric acid is between 3 and 5.5 milligrams per deciliter, and there appears to be a steady relationship between uric acid levels and blood pressure and cardiovascular risk, even down to the range of 3 to 4 mg/dl. ...Uric acid drives up your blood pressure by inhibiting the nitric oxide in your blood vessels. Nitric oxide helps your vessels maintain their elasticity, so nitric oxide suppression leads to increases in blood pressure.

Anyway, fructose elevates uric acid and elevated uric acid is a sign/contributor to numerous health conditions. It's also processed entirely in the liver where it's converted to triglycerides. http://articles.merc...d-pressure.aspx , http://www.newswise....e%3A+MedNews%29 So in other words, routinely drinking sodas and other HFCS filled drinks causes high blood pressure.

The difference between HFCS and table sugar and Sugar from fruit.

HFCS is a highly processed product that contains similar amounts of unbound fructose and glucose. Sucrose (table sugar), on the other hand, is a larger sugar molecule that is metabolized into glucose and fructose in your intestine.

And whereas the glucose in other sugars are converted to blood glucose, fructose is a relatively unregulated source of fuel that your liver converts to fat and cholesterol. The danger of that is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production, which is thought to be involved in appetite regulation.

Chemical tests among 11 different carbonated soft drinks containing HFCS were found to have astonishingly high levels of reactive carbonyls. Reactive carbonyls are undesirable and highly-reactive compounds associated with unbound fructose and glucose molecules, and are believed to cause tissue damage.

By contrast, reactive carbonyls are not present in table sugar because its fructose and glucose components are bound and chemically stable.

Reactive carbonyls are elevated in the blood of individuals with diabetes and are linked to the health complications of diabetes. It is estimated that a single can of soda contains about five times the concentration of reactive carbonyls than the concentration found in the blood of an adult person with diabetes.

fructose also does not contain any enzymes, vitamins or minerals so it takes these micronutrients from your body while it assimilates itself for use. Unbound fructose, found in large quantities in HFCS, can interfere with your heart's use of minerals such as magnesium, copper and chromium. ... and is almost always made from genetically modified corn

Chart on ratio in several sweeteners FructoseGlucose Sucrose Other sugars

Granulated sugar001000

Brown sugar11971

HFCS-42425305

HFCS-55554104

HFCS-9090505

Honey504415

Maple syrup14950

Molasses2321533

Corn syrup03500

bobbi364 liked
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/23/2012 12:32 pm

That was incredibly rude. I understand that it's the sugar that affects acne, not chocolate. I was referring to the people who do have those misconceptions. Do YOU not know how to read? Maybe you should go back and read my post. Take some notes; UNDERLINE and CIRCLE things. How was it not logical to agree with the point of your post, that sugar effects our bodies, including skin? To assume that I'm uneducated because I disagreed with some of your points just makes you seem narrow-minded. Seriously, I think YOU need to calm down. Look at things from a different perspective. Consider other opinions. Just because you view things a certain way doesn't necessarily make it right. And by the way, I have done my research. Why else do you think I posted on your topic? From my research, I've learned that it's what excess sugar does to your HORMONES that causes acne. And just because someone eats a lot of sugar doesn't mean it's necessarily going to cause or aggravate their acne. Everyone's bodies are different. I think maybe you need to do a little more research yourself. Have you ever heard of biology? It's really a great subject. You should take a class on it sometime. Nutrition is a great subject too. I recently read this really great article on how sugar does and does not affect acne. You should really read it. It might make you look at this subject a little differently. Here's the link:

http://www.natural-a...sugar-acne.html

Umm. I did not make any points in the post to which you replied. Let me try again. I merely described an episode of 60 minutes filled with Doctors.. The Doctors are the ones who made the comments you ranted about. Not me. And I stated no opinions. Which is why your rant made absolutely no sense. And now you've made another illogical rant with completely invalid 'points' about opinions and points of view. That you have some knowledge on one of the ways sugar impacts acne makes your attack on me even more senseless.

And if you actually read any of my posts, you would know how fully aware I am that we all have different abilities to deal with the harm from sugar (and other dietary and lifestyle factors) and that that there are plenty of nutrients and lifestyle habits that improve these abilities as well as improve the many other factors involved in acne. And I advise them all of the time. I have told no one here or anywhere else that they cannot have any sugar.

You would also know how insane it is to suggest that I try doing some research. I do a great deal of reasearch. Research that involves much more than reading a few amateur websites that express some superficial knowledge. Try peer reviewed studies. Try reading this thread of mine, pinned under Important Topics, right there at the top of this forum. http://www.acne.org/...t-lead-to-acne/ with over 95,000 reads which is a lot since it has never been an active discussion. It is however, a popular a reference.

Also, perhaps you'd like to try watching the episode you are ranting about. Two contributors to this thread have posted links to it.

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 04/23/2012 10:41 pm

I hardly ever venture into this forum, even as someone who has been around for over five years and is in fact a moderator, but from my basic understanding of nutrition, I do not see how anyone could EVER assume that drinking pop on a regular basis could have anything but an adverse affect on your health.

I will be the first to admit that I do not eat an ideal diet, but I do try to limit my intake of desserts and I drink only water with the occasional cup of coffee or black tea. While I am beyond thankful for the modern age in terms of quantity of food and moving past subsistence living (and all the famine that can go with that if climate does not cooperate,you lose your food source due to disaster/war/ect), I do think that you have to be extra vigilant these days. It is difficult sometimes to sit down and prepare a meal, but it is wholeheartedly worth it when you look at the back of a "healthy choice" meal and find more chemicals than food objects in the ingredients list. Once in a while if you it is between eating that and going hungry, it is fine, but the fact of the matter is that most people have become lazy. They would rather spend an hour watching television than preparing dinner.

I hope I do not sound too harsh and I have no idea where this rant came from, but as a woman who has been very thin all of her life due to genetics, and living with her parents currently (who are also thin and have poor diets), I think it's important to realize what you are consuming and the consequences that it may have. And don't even get me started on the environmental impact of a lot of food practices. =P

Thank you for this thread, by the way. =)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/24/2012 9:45 am

I hardly ever venture into this forum, even as someone who has been around for over five years and is in fact a moderator, but from my basic understanding of nutrition, I do not see how anyone could EVER assume that drinking pop on a regular basis could have anything but an adverse affect on your health.

Yeah. It's insane isn't it? But the problem is that people, doctors included, have no understanding how bad it is for you. They just have a vague idea that eating healthy is 'good for you' but no real understanding of how much it does for you. Most people think it's just about calories. i did. I used to drink a lot of soda. there's always tomorrow to worry about calories. I had no idea of the damage that is caused by unstable blood sugar and insulin.

And people have no idea what moderation is when they say 'all things in moderation.' Not to mention that one can of soda is just plain too much sugar for that day. But it's become normal. Adding a soda and fries or chips turn sandwhches in to 'meals' now.

I am also concerned about people who are thin no matter what they eat. They think they can eat anything they want without consequences. My older brother is like that. All lean muscle (which does help). Well so was my grandfather and developed alzheimer's disease which they are starting to call things like diabetes of the brain or type III Diabetes. Because the amount of sugar consumed has a great deal to do with developing the disease. And my mother is a Cokeaholic. I think dementia already begun, and then she had 2 strokes.

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 04/24/2012 1:02 pm

You're right. I'm sorry, I was out of line. I see you weren't saying any of the things I assumed you were. I actually have already watched it, and I probably should have before posting on here. I was obviously mistaken, and I should have done more of my research. I have read some of the other things you've written on this board and they were actually very helpful. I started looking into a good diet for my acne a while ago and I was just bombarded with so many different opinions on what is considered a "good diet," so I was left really confused. My horrible and senseless rants were a product of a really bad week. So again, I apologize.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/15/2012 4:49 pm

6 Kinds of Pills Big Pharma Tries to Get You Hooked on for Life

[Link Removed]

Statins, Hormone replacement, and drugs for ADHD, Asthma, depression/anxiety, GERD. They now recommend children start on asthma and ADHD drugs as soon as symptoms appear no matter how young. And not in the article, but they tell women all the time about the benefits of taking oral birth control and their synthetic hormones.

Because our health problems are apparently caused by a lack of drugs. Drugs make you healthy.

You might have noticed lipitor advertising on TV that everyone should take it as a preventative. They put my mother on it even though her lipid profile is quite good. The thing is, they've recently discovered that Lipitor didn't help by preventing your body from making cholesterol (by inhibiting an enzyime that does other important things, btw.), but by having some anti-inflammatory affect. Of course, a better diet has an even better anti-inflammatory affect...

MemberMember
(@bobbi364)

Posted : 05/26/2012 11:43 am

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2012 4:30 pm

Mercola article on how the United States is only one of 2 countries in the world that allow direct to consumer advertising for prescription drugs. Here this started in 1997. And I'm very surprised to say that New Zealand is the other country and it's been allowed there since 1981

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/16/drug-companies-ads-dangers.aspx?e_cid=20120716_DNL_artNew_2

Mood swings, weight gain, joint pain, tummy problemsyou name the ailment, there's a pill for it. And you, the American consumer, are helping Big Pharma sell it. Don't believe it? Well, it's happening right before your eyes, and believe it or not, the United States is one of only two countries in the world that allows this to happen.

A "Disgusting, Dishonorable" Way to Create Sales Legal in Only Two Countries

What I'm talking about is direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising, that barrage of ads you see on TV and in magazines and newspapers, or on the radio and Internet. They're ads telling you to run right out and ask your doctor if this or that pill would be right for you.

Some drug companies have even taken to advertising highly specialized medical devices, like heart stents.

It's a marketing bonanza that's turned America into a medicated mass of people who've been brain-washed into thinking that taking pills will make everything bettereven for ailments you might not have. But it's a brilliant move for Big Pharma, who has now turned the consumer into their very own sales rep, and a persuasive one at that. Not only is there a correlation between the amount of money drug companies spend on DTC advertising and the brand of drug patients request from their physicians, but the data shows DTC advertising rapidly converts people into patients.

As you might suspect, the use of DTC ads has grown rapidly since it was first approved in the U.S. in 1997. At that time, the ads could only be run along with lengthy consumer information warning of risks and side effects, so few companies used them. In 1997, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revised the rule so that rather than providing a full disclosure, companies only needed to meet an "adequate standard" when it came to describing risks to consumers. For those who are wondering, the only other country that has legalized DTC advertising is New Zealand (which did so in 1981).
MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 07/16/2012 5:36 pm

So... should I limit the amount of fructose from fruits also?

I read that it should be up to 15 g a day while a medium apple has 9 grams.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2012 8:14 am

I wouldn't worry about keeping it that low. Just don't binge on it, especially in the same meal. And choose the lower sugar apple varieties like granny smith.

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 07/17/2012 10:11 am

I wouldn't worry about keeping it that low. Just don't binge on it, especially in the same meal. And choose the lower sugar apple varieties like granny smith.

"choose low sugar apple varieties"? you clearly dont understand what your talking about.

lets say you need to eat X calories, only for the example, X=2000

normal apple is like 40 calories and has 10 gram of carbs.

so lets say you eat "low sugar apple" [like granny smith] and it has 5 gram of carbs. so thats healthier according to you right? cuz its "low sugar" [less calories]

but you lack to understand that it doesnt matter if you eat this low sugar type apple or high sugar type apple. cuz you need to get to your 2000 calories a day anyway, so it doesnt matter if you eat 1 apple with 10 gram carbs or 2 apples with 5 gram carbs. you end up with the same amount of calories\sugar.

and im not expert on all this "sugar-insulin-male hormone" proccess but i know for a fact that fat cells produce estrogen, wich means that the body produces less DHT, that means less oily skin, less hormonal acne.

and i can tell from personal experience that when i ate "clean" and healthy diet i was on a really low fat % and my face was wayyyyyy oilier and had more pimples than now when i got back to eating sugar\junk food and put some fat and my skin is much less oily and need less washing to remain dry.

the more estrogen in the body, the less DHT.

DHT cause oily skin.

fat increases estrogen in the body.

like in your signature you write that saw palmetto helps you. it keeps me clear and less oily too! cuz saw palmetto block DHT and therefore increases estrogen.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 07/17/2012 12:00 pm

Hmm it just that I visited one of the websites and said something about fructose isn't good but in fruits they are fine but also said how we should limit them. Was confused right there.

Although I no longer breakout, I still sometimes notice oiliness and thought it could be the insulin response from the fruits. I am eating grain free, but high in fat.

I get a lot of calories from butter and EFAs.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2012 1:59 pm

"choose low sugar apple varieties"? you clearly dont understand what your talking about.

lets say you need to eat X calories, only for the example, X=2000

normal apple is like 40 calories and has 10 gram of carbs.

so lets say you eat "low sugar apple" [like granny smith] and it has 5 gram of carbs. so thats healthier according to you right? cuz its "low sugar" [less calories]

but you lack to understand that it doesnt matter if you eat this low sugar type apple or high sugar type apple. cuz you need to get to your 2000 calories a day anyway, so it doesnt matter if you eat 1 apple with 10 gram carbs or 2 apples with 5 gram carbs. you end up with the same amount of calories\sugar.

and im not expert on all this "sugar-insulin-male hormone" proccess but i know for a fact that fat cells produce estrogen, wich means that the body produces less DHT, that means less oily skin, less hormonal acne.

and i can tell from personal experience that when i ate "clean" and healthy diet i was on a really low fat % and my face was wayyyyyy oilier and had more pimples than now when i got back to eating sugar\junk food and put some fat and my skin is much less oily and need less washing to remain dry.

the more estrogen in the body, the less DHT.

DHT cause oily skin.

fat increases estrogen in the body.

like in your signature you write that saw palmetto helps you. it keeps me clear and less oily too! cuz saw palmetto block DHT and therefore increases estrogen.

I don't know why you are ranting at me about calories here in this discussion about our terrible health care system that amongst many other problems, is so clueless as to how bad for you the massive amounts of sugar the average person consumes. Amounts that we would never have consumed before added sugar and HFCS. Amounts that are bodies are not capable of managing.

And saw palmetto helped me, somewhat. A long time ago. Before I discovered the diet acne connection and cleared my skin. Yes, I know it inhibits DHT a factor in excess sebum and therefore often in acne. That would be why I tried it. The same applies to the zinc and several other nutrients.

And that you aren't an expert is very clear. Why were you eating low fat? What made you think that was healthy? It doesn't sound like you have any idea of what a clean and healthy diet is if you want to get your calories from eating more sugar. I am please to see that you are capable of some simple math even though I have no idea why you were telling me how 2 things half the size/amount of another thing added together = the larger thing.

Also, the sugar and insulin don't just impact male hormones. It impacts all hormones. Both by stimulating their production and by inhibiting the sex hormone binding globulin that binds the excess. Also, not overloading the liver by feeding it a ton of fructose which means the liver can do it's other jobs, like removing excess hormones from circulation. Also, excess sugar and insulin in the blood promotes chronic inflammation which is the root cause of acne and most of the diseases this sickly culture suffers from. Which is the point of this thread. It also impairs your immune system.

And I'm sorry, I can't respond to all the foolishness in your post. I'll have to leave it at that.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/17/2012 2:22 pm

Hmm it just that I visited one of the websites and said something about fructose isn't good but in fruits they are fine but also said how we should limit them. Was confused right there.

Although I no longer breakout, I still sometimes notice oiliness and thought it could be the insulin response from the fruits. I am eating grain free, but high in fat.

I get a lot of calories from butter and EFAs.

Here's a thread with a lot of info on fructose and other sugars, how they are processed and their impact on the body. It starts out with some advice to improve fructose metabolism since we have so many people here that say they break out from fruit and are always telling newbies to avoid fruit: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/299249-improving-fructose-metabolism-for-those-that-break-out-from-fruit/