Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarred4life?

My Recent Silicone Injections

After much research, deliberation and failed attempts at scar revision I decided to make an appt with Dr. David Orentriech in NYC to discuss my scar revision and possible LIS injections. His father Norman Orentriech is a pioneer in the LIS treatments but he is no longer practicing, his son David has been doing LIS for acne scars for about 20 years so he is probably the next best thing.

I had the appt on 9-17. I met with him, he closely examined all of my scars and suggested a treatment method for each one of them. I had about 10 - 15 boxcar and rolling type scars he suggested I fill with LIS. He also recommended that I soften the edges of some of my scars using a procedure called needle dececration (I had never heard of it before but it is a machine with a needle that kind of moves back and forth and scrapes the skin I guess, I was not interested since I need to do my own research before i follow through with any procedure). He also suggested dermabrasion or co2 to smooth things out after the injections are done.

When speaking with him I asked all the pertinent questions about migration, granulomas, infection, etc and he answered every single question thoroughly and made me feel very comfortable with the procedure. So I went for it.

The procedure: The nurse covered my face with a numbing cream and let it sit for about 25 minutes while I stared at the ceiling. Eventually the nurse came in, cleaned my face and Dr. O followed shortly there after ready to inject. He injected each one of the scars I wanted him to inject. The procedure was not very painful (slightly less painful than smoothbeam). He injected using a very thin needle. After he was done I paid and went home.

There is absolutely no down time with this procedure. I went out to dinner with my girlfriend that same night as my face was looking pretty good from the temporary swelling that occurs. The whole visit cost me $650, $250 for the consult and $400 for the injections. Each visit from here on out (Dr. O estimated 3 - 4 more visits) will cost $400

It is now 4 days after the procedure and the swelling has subsided. My face looks very slightly better but not that great yet, but that is to be expected. The idea is not to fill the depression completely with silicone but to inject minute amounts of silicone and allow the body to surround it with collagen and fibrolasts and all that good stuff. Sort of like a grain of sand in an oyster and it builds a pearl around it. The combination of the small amounts of silicone and the new collagen combine to fill the depression.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with everyone. When my injections are all said and done I will be sure to post some after pics for everyone.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing the info, and please do share the before and after pics after it's all done. I may fly up there someday to get a bit of silicone myself. (I will probably try a light dermabrasion first) You made an excellent choice - he's very well known.

SFL, good post, keep fighting the good fight. I hope you continue to see improvement through your treatment series. Please keep us posted.

Here is the office's web site: Orentreich

Thanks for posting your experience. DO you know how much silicone he injected into each scar? minute amounts or substantial like .1 ml ? Also, did he message the silicone around or just leave it where it was injected?

Wish you all the best.

I think that with so many options there will one day enough information to know which works the best.

Till then I will stay with temporary fillers. I just had one temporary filler used on me which lasted only 3 months.

Meet Pete, With regular fat transfer most is quickly absorbed and you always have to go back for another injection. They usually overcorrect for this reason.

Note: this is the data Meet Pete is talking about: http://www.orentreich.com/silicone_injections.htm

Fat: Injections of fat harvested at time of visit from the patient. Administered after site to be treated is injected with local anesthetic. Temporary (up to three months).

The product he uses is Silikon 1000 manufactured by Alcon, not Dow Corning. His father, not him, participated in an FDA pre-approval study many years ago using silicon that happened to be manufactured by Dow Corning. You should do a little research before making accusations.

I have been to many docs in my quest for scar revision and Dr. O is by far the least sketchy. You want to meet someone sketchy go visit Frank from Transitions.

In response to Jcomp, I do not know the exact amount of LIS used but I do know it was less than 1 cc, and no he did not massage my face afterwards.

The most commonly used products are Silikon 1000 or Adatosil 5000. Dow-Corning does NOT make a silicone oil intended for injection into the human body, no matter what they say.

source: http://www.yestheyrefake.net/liquid_silicone_risks.htm

Again, that web site dazzles me with their research!

"Any American citizen who is athiest should not be considered an American, nor should they be considered a patriot. This is one nation under God." -- George Bush [senior]

Dr. Orentreich is a very reputable doctor. I have been in this business for 34 years and knew his father as well. They have been on the forefront to have silicone made availble for cosmetic use because it is safe, permanent and relatively inexpensive. I had my first treatments 30 years ago and have never had a problem. The silicone he uses is FDA approved for treating detached retinas that is why it is manufactured by Alcon. If it it is safe to fill your eyeball, I would surely assume that it is safe injected in micro droplet form into the skin. This treatment done in qualified hands works wonders....I am proof of that. BTW I have no affiliation with this Dr. or with any company that manufactures silicone.

It sounds like you're onto something, Meet Pete.

Thank God we've finally tagged the brains behind the conspiracy that keeps all of us with skin conditions in the dark. And all along, RichardSkin was right under our noses.

How cunning of him to run a skin care company characterized by the usage of time-proven active ingredients. And, to top it all off, he comes here on his own time to give advice and cautionary words where due-- obviously just to trick us! We're like lambs to the slaughter.

Thanks for sounding the alarm, M P. Close call.

MeetPete, you seem so suspicious and negative about everything and the more you post on this subject the more ignorant you sound.

Richard, can you tell me a litle about your treatments with Dr. O? How many times did you need to have injections? Were you happy with the results? Have the improvements remained the same over the past 30 years? Did you have any other "finsihing off" type of procedures after your injections?

Meet Pete had a valid point, even if it was a bit off base. Something I have noticed on this board is that some people tend to defend and endorse their own treatments. Like Meet Pete with fat, Richard with LS, Rustymetal with Bioalcimid, myself with Restylane. It's human nature though to justify medical procedures in that way. Silicone does seem to have a lot of gossip involved but imho when injected properly and in small amounts, it's probably the best of the permanent fillers. This thread is pretty funny to me. biggrin.gif

It's not just that I'm shooting the messenger, MP: it's that I'm shooting an unreliable messenger. Unlike Richardskin, you don't have a livelihood revolving around skincare, do you? So, interestingly enough, you've got no reason to tell the unbiased truth-- and, frankly, I don't know that you are. If RichardSkin endangers his word by endorsing a quack, then those consequences are his to deal with, and the consequences for him would be greater than they are for you. And I'm searching for your motives: what are they? Perhaps you've got hazelnut-sized granulomas somewhere because of your own bad decision to go to a "Silicone party?" Again, I don't know that you do-- what we do know is that RichardSkin has been treated in the past by the elder Orentreich (ostensibly using these controversial methods), and that his word on skin care wouldn't be flagged around so brashly.

Yes, we're all aware of things like that. Controversial public figures (One woman has been dubbed in latin american papers as the "Matabella"-- the beauty killer-- for using industrial grade silicone oil).

Frankly, we're not ignorant supplicants at the Altar of Personality. We're consumers looking for the best buy. Orentreich, to me, looks like a good one, and so does Yarborough. Did you know that Carmen dell'Orefice has been treated at the Orentreich offices for dynamic wrinkles? With LIS injections. Check it out yourself.

Hey guys leave Pete alone. dry.gif

People should be wary on any board, this is no exception here. Only this week I found out that something somebody said was an outright lie and I got that from the physician's mouth himself. I've mailed the person in question and am waiting to hear back. And no I'm not going to reveal until I hear back.

If alarm bells don't go off in your head about silicone micro droplet then you haven't done much research. The guy in New York is world famous for it, I'll grant you that, from sources outside this forum. Maybe his techniques are so good that you wouldn't have any problems but there is a definite risk of SERIOUS problems developing with silicone.

However its free speech here and we all welcome hearing how someone has got on and well if it turns out to be very successful i may get a plane ticket to New York in a few year's. time !!!! smile.gif

Personally I think Pete's posts tend to be inteliligent and well researched. And no, Im not trying to suck up.

Just to keep things in perspective, the SERIOUS problems from such small amounts of silicone are never anything that could threaten your health. Anyone that gets injected at a "silicone party" probably deserves what they get - that's just natural selection at its finest. Silicon, itself, is the 2nd most common substance in our planet so it's quite safe. smile.gif

update...

I am not seeing results yet really but I am not really expecting to yet. I have my next appt with Dr. O on 10/23 (he does Saturdays once every six weeks) for my next round of injections into the larger scars. The doc said I will need 3 to 4 series of injections before I see results.

I have not experienced any negative side effects to date.

Well, I have had my second round of injections yesterday. Same exact thing as the first time. My scars look great now but I think it is only due to the swelling and they will sink back down a bit sad.gif . He did all the same scars and now I just have to wait until my next appt in December.

This time I had him do his needle desecration thing on some of my thicker scar tissue areas to soften them up. We only did a few scars to see how they respond. I have some scabs on my face from that and i will be sure to let everyone know how that turns out once they heal.

Hello there, I would just like to give you my experience with the micro droplet silicone procedure. I have been going for 8 months now. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! BEYOND MY WILDEST EXPECTATIONS!!!!! I go to Dr. Paul Jarrod Frank in New York city. HE is AMAZING!!!!!! I saw him on CBS. NEWS Television network. Here is a link http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/01/...ain561264.shtml I had many things done from him using the micro droplet silicone. He Eliminated the nasal labial folds. THey are the lines or folds from the sides of the sides of the nose to the mouth. He got rid of 3 prominent scars and filled in a few others as well. He did my cheekbone area known as cheekbone enhancement. All I can say is I wish EVERYONE knew about this procedure from someone as talented as him. This procedure I can see is VERY VERY technique sensitive. It has to be done from someone who is super talented at filling artistically. Like an artist. I am just about totally done. I look sooo very young with this it is amazing!!!! My next treatment is Monday with just the finishing touch on one of the nasal labial areas. My mom comes with me and Dr. frank is doing wonders for her. She is so excited at the improvements with the micro droplet silicone as well. The best thing is that this looks very very natural and it is PERMANENT!!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!!! I am so HAPPY!!!!!! I could jump up and down!!!!! We LOVE DR. FRANK!!!!! ps. He is so nice because my mom asks soooo many questions and he always is delightful!!!! Hope this helps>